Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Update honeypot

Author Topic: Update  (Read 8675 times)

dtucker89

Update
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:17 »
I know, it's been a while. A great deal has happened. I was offered a position as a Nuclear Tech, and I got a start date of March 14. Then, I got an offer from a different company for an associate plant operator position. So, do I accept both positions and hope that the APO position pans out? (The anticipated start date for APO is March 7) I have a start date for Nuc Tech in the south and an offer for APO in the north.

Can I burn the utility that already gave me a start date? Should I burn them?

The APO is in operations, which is why I accepted the nuc tech (to get into ops later). I want the APO more, but they still have to give me a background check and such. But, if I passed the check with one company, does that mean that the other one will pass me, too? And, I have a start date with one company, does that mean that I have access with the site?

It's a lot of questions. Thanks for all of the help the community has given, thus far. I look forward to more. :p

-Daniel

JustinHEMI05

Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:28 »
It's your career, do what you want.

surf50

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:45 »
  'You've got to ask yourself one question.. Do I feel lucky?.. Well, do ya?...'

Look, you've got a definite start date on one hand; and an offer, with nothing guaranteed, on the other.
 You probably will pass the background check again, and probably the northern utility won't change their mind about the offer.   You don't know.
 It's never a great idea to burn a utility. If you do, do it before they've invested a lot in you.
 Unless you've already completed all the inprocessing paperwork beforehand, you won't have plant access, yet.

It's quite a gamble you're thinking about.

Offline mike78756

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:53 »
A bird in one hand.. well I think you get the point.  ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:14 »
after i hired in at fermi the the plant i really wanted, davis besse, called 2 weeks later. i really wanted to take the job but the way i looked at it is what type of person would i be to have a company move me then jump ship 2 weeks later. in my case i have to be able to look at myself in the mirror and like what i see.

sorry for no caps, it is not easy using a keyboard post shoulder surgery.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:10 »
after i hired in at fermi the the plant i really wanted, davis besse, called 2 weeks later. i really wanted to take the job but the way i looked at it is what type of person would i be to have a company move me then jump ship 2 weeks later. in my case i have to be able to look at myself in the mirror and like what i see.

sorry for no caps, it is not easy using a keyboard post shoulder surgery.

Darn, I was so close to you asking me to sign your qual book  ;).

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:13 »
Darn, I was so close to you asking me to sign your qual book  ;).

If you had you might have seen this tattoo ;)

dtucker89

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:08 »
First of all, thanks for the advice. Second, I like the tattoo. lol

-Daniel

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2011, 12:19 »
Why dont you call the person that hired you and discuss this matter with them... Its fairly reasonable to want a "better job" then the one offered if its reasonable to assume so. I think that is fair, and I doubt they will "fire you" before you start because you want to see how your career pans out. Now on the flipside, if you accept the position and go to work for a couple months, then flip them the bird, that may be an issue... :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2011, 01:03 »
Bird in the hand, definitely.

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:25 »
I know, it's been a while. A great deal has happened. I was offered a position as a Nuclear Tech, and I got a start date of March 14. Then, I got an offer from a different company for an associate plant operator position. So, do I accept both positions and hope that the APO position pans out? (The anticipated start date for APO is March 7) I have a start date for Nuc Tech in the south and an offer for APO in the north.

Can I burn the utility that already gave me a start date? Should I burn them?

The APO is in operations, which is why I accepted the nuc tech (to get into ops later). I want the APO more, but they still have to give me a background check and such. But, if I passed the check with one company, does that mean that the other one will pass me, too? And, I have a start date with one company, does that mean that I have access with the site?

It's a lot of questions. Thanks for all of the help the community has given, thus far. I look forward to more. :p

-Daniel

You should take the a) one you want b) the closest to home (if that is the case) and therefore the apo position.

Also, you should / will pass the background if it has come back good for the other company.  (All disclaimers invoked.)

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011, 08:26 by MacGyver »

dtucker89

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:30 »
Just to let everyone know, I decided to take the job I already have a start date for in the south. I appreciate everyone's input and advice.

PS. I chose this plant due to location and the chance that I may not pass a second background check (though highly unlikely).

-Daniel

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:52 »
Just to let everyone know, I decided to take the job I already have a start date for in the south. I appreciate everyone's input and advice.

PS. I chose this plant due to location and the chance that I may not pass a second background check (though highly unlikely).

-Daniel

Good for you.   +K  Hope it works out.  And, I am not going to ask why you are worried about the background check.  Be good.   ;)

dtucker89

« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:41 »
Thanks for not asking ;)

And thanks for the luck. Another factor was my wife, I did not mention it, but she wants to live in the south.

-Daniel

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:05 »
Thanks for not asking ;)

And thanks for the luck. Another factor was my wife, I did not mention it, but she wants to live in the south.

-Daniel

Dude!!!! That is a game changer.  You are such a "noob" for not mentioning that huge factoid!  All the other advice we gave you is worthless when you factor in the "social director's" desires.

Geeeez what a noob.   ;) :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:35 »
Another factor was my wife, I did not mention it, but she wants to live in the south.

-Daniel

"...sweet potatah pie an' ah shut my mouf!"  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?