Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu HANFORD NUCLEAR CHEMICAL OPERATOR ABOUT TO BE LAYED OFF
honeypot

Author Topic: HANFORD NUCLEAR CHEMICAL OPERATOR ABOUT TO BE LAYED OFF  (Read 11535 times)

sickboi82

Currently im working out at the hanford site as a nuclear chemical operator/fissile material handler,and layoffs are comming and im pretty sure im on the list.when that time comes ill have about 2 years in and not sure what path to take next. Ive thought about RCT but im not to sure what steps need to be taken to get into an RCT position.Ive look and NCO is pretty much a local job title. Not like RCT and HPT. would like to end up down in california(where im from.) I just wanted to see what info anyone on here could give. thank you very much.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
Re: HANFORD NUCLEAR CHEMICAL OPERATOR ABOUT TO BE LAYED OFF
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:23 »
Sounds like you have a bit of applicable experience. Write up a good professional resume (lots of on-line help there) outlining in detail what you've done and start shopping it to the companies needing junior HPT's. Be prepared to go anywhere for any duration for any amount of money and do anything your asked to do. Keep knocking until someone lets you in. There is an expected shortfall of techs this spring so it's a good time to try to get your foot in the door. Once on site hang with the folks who show up a bit early, work hard, and stay out of trouble.

sickboi82

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:32 »
Thank you very much for the info. I'm really wishing that i would of came in as an RCT.Seems to be alot more options out there. NCOs have such a wide work scope,everything from glovebox work to forklift operating. I will defiantly look into a junior hpt. One question though before I apply should I take the DOE RCT CORE exam?

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:46 »
It's a good accessable palce to start studying. There are also lots of tests here on Nuke Worker.

sickboi82

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:51 »
Will do.Ill keep you posted. thanks again

Sun Dog

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2011, 01:05 »

I will defiantly look into a junior hpt.

With that attitude you will fit right in.

sickboi82

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2011, 01:19 »
Sorry I meant (definitely). I guess i better learn to spell better.

Sun Dog

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2011, 01:30 »

I guess i better learn to spell better.

You correctly spelled defiantly.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2011, 01:32 by Sun Dog »

sickboi82

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2011, 01:39 »
that is true.  ;D

sickboi82

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:16 »
What company's do people here recommend looking into. right now I'm working for ch2mhill. There a pretty good company to work for.

Sun Dog

« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:09 »
What company's do people here recommend looking into. right now I'm working for ch2mhill. There a pretty good company to work for.

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

http://www.navy.com/

sickboi82

« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:13 »
That is true. But other then the navy who else do you recommend

Sun Dog

« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:42 »

That is true. But other then the navy who else do you recommend

Good job!  A smart man explores all of his options before making a big decision.  Another fine choice of employment would be Uncle Sam's Flying Club.  Although you'll make rank much slower, the chow is better and the living conditions cannot be topped.

http://www.airforce.com/

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:50 »
BPA is hiring operators. Give them a call. You don't want to chase this line of work, trust me.

sickboi82

« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:59 »
Thank you I "definitelY" will look into that. do you know if that is for substation operator?

duke99301

« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2011, 06:24 »
I was an NPO out there for 11 years at handford if the time comes do not take the lump some buy out keep your retirement.
get some help on the RCT classes and you have no problem making the jump anyone can swing a meter learn how to set up the meters and cal.them I used it for my stepping stone and moved on to better things in the nuke world.
go on here and learn the math stuff and take the practice questions. I never looked back since I left in 87 and I made a lot money working outages  get your foot in the door and decide where you want to go just remember anyone can sit at a control point if you want more you can move up and make it happen.
good luck on what you want to do

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?