Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Got a job and here some advice for job seekers learned the hard way.  

Author Topic: Got a job and here some advice for job seekers learned the hard way.  (Read 5504 times)

andrewnavy

After being told that I was a great candidate by both TVA plants around Chattanooga for a SRO certain, they said to be on the lookout for a possible offer in 1 to 6 months.  The moral of the story is TVA is terrible on hiring (I applied for the jobs 3-4 months prior).  They do have some good people it just seems like their HR department is a black hole.  Next, for all of you analytical sailors getting out, be excited on the phone interviews.  Just fake it if you have to.  I lost out on an interview for a job I would have been great at simply do to the fact that they thought I was not "excited" about it.  

I am going to except a job offer as an instructor for ISO New England.  For all you guys getting out, don't  overlook jobs outside of nuke power, this one pays the same as a SRO instructor.  Thank you everyone who looked at my resume and gave me pointers.  Even though I did not manage a nuclear job, I might come back to it after awhile.

Thanks,
andrewnavy

drayer54

After being told that I was a great candidate by both TVA plants around Chattanooga for a SRO certain, they said to be on the lookout for a possible offer in 1 to 6 months.  The moral of the story is TVA is terrible on hiring (I applied for the jobs 3-4 months prior).  They do have some good people it just seems like their HR department is a black hole.  Next, for all of you analytical sailors getting out, be excited on the phone interviews.  Just fake it if you have to.  I lost out on an interview for a job I would have been great at simply do to the fact that they thought I was not "excited" about it. 

I am going to except a job offer as an instructor for ISO New England.  For all you guys getting out, don't  overlook jobs outside of nuke power, this one pays the same as a SRO instructor.  Thank you everyone who looked at my resume and gave me pointers.  Even though I did not manage a nuclear job, I might come back to it after awhile.

Thanks,
andrewnavy

Congrats on the job, despite it being in New England :P... Anyways, I will be in these shoes soon. What did you use to find stuff outside of the nuclear community? Did you try a head hunter? Any other pointers? How many plants did you try and how did you try to work the hiring schedules? Thanks for any further advice,

Derek

andrewnavy

I posted my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder.  The job I got came from an awesome recruiter who runs her own business.  She found my resume on the afore mentioned sites.  I also signed up with Bradley-Morris, Lucas Group, Orion, and every other recruiter willing to look for jobs for me.  Some were really good jobs and all of them that I have interviewed for have paid six figures.  Also, send thank you letters and research the companies prior to interviews.  Mainly, beat the bush until it coughs up the fruit you want. It helps to have your degree b/c it opens up way more opportunities.  Good luck, if nuke is what you want go for it.   I just don't like waiting for them when I need a job lined up before I get out.

nuclear2010

Congrats and best of luck to you!!!

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
Certainly look in industries outside Nuke. If you have an Engineering degree, there are plenty of options. Especially if you are willing to relocate somewhere (which shouldn't be dreadfully hard for a soon to be ex-squid). Aerospace is on a hiring binge actually. Boeing, Bombardier, Gulfstream, and any multitude of suppliers are hiring. Boeing just won the tanker contract, and will be looking for people in both Seattle and Wichita. Gulfstream has a new biz jet they are in the process of designing in Savannah. Bombardier is in Wichita and they are working on a new passenger jet and three new biz jets. There are tons of suppliers everywhere in between. If you want to go International, there are opportunities there too.

Word to the wise, over the next 20 years Engineering is going to be growing big time. The amount of development work going on plus the boomer retirements are going to create a megaton load of requirements for talented engineers. There will be far more jobs than there are warm bodies to fill them.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?