Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Few questions about acceptance into nuke program
honeypot

Author Topic: Few questions about acceptance into nuke program  (Read 25745 times)

stefanc2011

Few questions about acceptance into nuke program
« on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:05 »
Alright, first of all, I made a 98 on the ASVAB.  My line scores have not come in yet, but they should be in within the next day or two.  My recruiter has already told me I need to take the NAPT, based on failing math in high school. It was the result of trying to do too much at one time.  No excuses, I earned the F, but I feel as if I could have passed the class in different circumstances.  I was told I would need to smoke the NAPT to even have a chance of getting in, even if my line scores that are required for the nuke program are above 252.  How true is this? Trying to figure out what I need to do, i'm pretty heartset on being a nuke.  Also, if this is the case, where can I find specifics on the Physics, Math, and Chemistry on the NAPT? I have been searching for awhile, on this forum and elsewhere, and can not find any specifics, which is understandable due to the classified nature of the test.  If it turns out that I can not smoke the NAPT, are there any other advanced programs in the military? I don't want to 'waste' my 98, so to speak, and i'm not set on the Navy, if I can't get into Nuke.  I've searched for awhile, but Nuke and the Advanced Electrician for the Navy were the only programs I could find.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011, 08:49 by stefanc2011 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Few questions about acceptance into nuke program
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:35 »
 Also, if this is the case, where can I find specifics on the Physics, Math, and Chemistry on the NAPT? I have been searching for awhile, on this forum and elsewhere, and can not find any specifics, which is understandable due to the classified nature of the test.  

:-\
So, you recognize that the information is sensitive, yet you are still asking for where you can find the information.
  :-\

NOTE: I will delete any posting that contains "specific" information.

Cheers,
GC

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

stefanc2011

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:39 »
Well, I certainly do not want the subject material spelled out for me, I was just wondering if it was able to be a bit more specific than 'Calculus'.  There is quite a bit to calculus.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:59 »
Here's the thing, the NFQT (or whatever they call it now) is designed to measure your existing knowledge.  Unless you haven't had math or science for several years, you probably will not benefit from a crash course.  My son, who just started Boot Camp, passed the NFQT by a hair.  He'd been out of college for 2 years and had little Math/Science in college.  If you want to work some problems to get the juices flowing, I'd recommend getting an officer aptitude test study guide and work the math and physics-type practice problems.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

stefanc2011

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:05 »
That sounds like great advice, and I will do that for sure.  If I end up not passing the NFQT, or NAPT, whichever, is that the end of the road as a nuke?

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:34 »
No you can always go commercial.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:19 »
That sounds like great advice, and I will do that for sure.  If I end up not passing the NFQT, or NAPT, whichever, is that the end of the road as a nuke?

If you take the NAPT, and don't pass (the minimum passing score is 50, but it may be higher depending on your line scores) then you can re-take the NAPT.  However, if you re-take it, you must score at least 55 (possibly higher, depending on your line scores)

The test is no longer referred to as the NFQT (Nuclear Field Qualification Test), it's now called the NAPT (Navy Advanced Programs Test). 
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:48 »
I went to the used book store and bought some old textbooks on Algebra I, Physics, and Chemistry. I used those as a refresher, since it's been a while since high school. Even better, I passed the test and got my money back for the books. In my mind, old textbooks have a very underestimated value. Don't get me started on textbook publishers. :P

stefanc2011

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:51 »
Also, just got my line scores. GT = 139 and the VE+AR+MK+MC = 256, so I could've qualified if I hadn't had those F's.  Kicking myself for that now.  How high am I going to have to make on the NAPT to get that waiver passed for acceptance?  I know 50 is passing, but will I have to make higher than that?

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:27 »
I don't know if this is too much info, but the minimum score can change at any time without notice. It changed the week before I took my test. Before you take the test, they'll tell you what you need to make. Also, wear a watch. There wasn't a clock in the closet they put me in. ;)

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:05 »
Also, just got my line scores. GT = 139 and the VE+AR+MK+MC = 256, so I could've qualified if I hadn't had those F's.  Kicking myself for that now.  How high am I going to have to make on the NAPT to get that waiver passed for acceptance?  I know 50 is passing, but will I have to make higher than that?

According to COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8H Vol IV (Enlisted Recruiting Manual, Programs and Classification) Chapter 1, Section 1, Page 12, you need:

VE+AR+MK+MC+NAPT=290
or
AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT=290

with a NAPT score of at least 50 (55 for retest).

Waivers are approved (or disapproved) on a case-by-case basis.  I can't point to a specific acceptance criteria for that.  It largely depends on their overall perception of you, and how badly they need nukes at the moment.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011, 12:37 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:32 »
There wasn't a clock in the closet they put me in. ;)

That's to give sailors practice for working closely in fan rooms and other close spaces ;)

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:08 »
Waivers are approved (or disapproved) on a case-by-case basis.  I can't point to a specific acceptance criteria for that.  It largely depends on their overall perception of you, and how badly they need nukes at the moment.

That is a very good point because so many are trying to get into the program that they can be more selective.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:03 »
That is a very good point because so many are trying to get into the program that they can be more selective.

is this statement a fact or subjective opinion?

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:46 »
is this statement a fact or subjective opinion?

Judging by the lower enlistment bonuses being offered and seemingly smaller number of people showing up to the command each week right now, I would (subjectively) say that the above is true. I could be wrong though.

drayer54

« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:52 »
Judging by the lower enlistment bonuses being offered and seemingly smaller number of people showing up to the command each week right now, I would (subjectively) say that the above is true. I could be wrong though.

Anyone know how to get such data or ever seen it? I'm sure its heavily gaurded in a bunker somewhere, but I am really curious to see some nuke stats. I've always wondered how many actually finish the first enlistment, percentage of females gone prego, and Sad :'( stats.... I'll bet gamecock has access to that war chest.

stefanc2011

« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:11 »
I ended up passing, barely..made a 56. Now it's all up to whoever passes the waivers, to see whether or not I can get the F in calculus waived or not.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:43 »
I'll bet gamecock has access to that war chest.

:-X
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2011, 01:10 »
I ended up passing, barely..made a 56. Now it's all up to whoever passes the waivers, to see whether or not I can get the F in calculus waived or not.

A couple of weeks ago, I got 2 grade waivers approved and I made a 57 on my NAPT (needed a 55). I thought my scores were really low, but I guess the nuke waiver guys didn't. The thing to remember is they look at the whole package.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2011, 01:11 by Styrofoam »

MacGyver

« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2011, 01:16 »
A couple of weeks ago, I got 2 grade waivers approved and I made a 57 on my NAPT (needed a 55). I thought my scores were really low, but I guess the nuke waiver guys didn't. The thing to remember is they look at the whole package.

Actually it probably was your "battle cry" that turned the tide   ;) :P

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 07:34 by MacGyver »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2011, 01:33 »
Actually it probably was your "battle cry" that turned the tide   ;) :P

Nah, at this point in time, my battle cry is pretty pathetic when there are people around who aren't deaf. Also, it was probably the fact that aside from my strong vision prescription (that I needed a waiver for), I haven't really lived yet, so my slate is clean. :P

To the OP, I took my waiver sheets home and worked on them for over a week before submitting them. I went all MLA on their butts. The point is, take writing the waiver stuff seriously and make it show in your work. And take full responsibility for failing and say that you learned something, even if you have to think about it for a while, I'm sure you'll find something you learned. :)

You know your specifics better than we do. What makes you stand out to the Navy? Why should they take a chance on you?
 [soap]

Ok, I'm done now. :)

Oh, and MacGyver, tat video was pretty funny; I'd ask what show that is, but then I'd just look like I never get out of the house.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:52 »
Oh, and MacGyver, tat video was pretty funny; I'd ask what show that is, but then I'd just look like I never get out of the house.

For those who never pushed a Level 34 Half-Elf Mage over a hexagon map....that was the first episode of "Space: Above and Beyond". A convoluted sci-fi series where most of those nub Space Marines ( who are not killed in the epic first mass dogfight in Jupiter's Outer Rings ) engage in high-risk landings and dogfights throughout Earth's stellar neighborhood against Chiggy VonRichthofen.

FutureSailorTaylor

« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:12 »
I go to MEPS tomorrow. I got a 52 on the Nuke Qualifier and I needed a 50 like a month ago. (yeah, i know by the skin of my teeth)  My problem is that they changed the required score to 55 and you can not take the test but once every six month period. Is there a waiver to say i don't need take it again since i already passed?

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:16 »
I go to MEPS tomorrow. I got a 52 on the Nuke Qualifier and I needed a 50 like a month ago. (yeah, i know by the skin of my teeth)  My problem is that they changed the required score to 55 and you can not take the test but once every six month period. Is there a waiver to say i don't need take it again since i already passed?

The minimum score changes practically every day. I don't think you'll need a waiver, but you should ask your recruiter to be sure.

FutureSailorTaylor

« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:20 »
Thanks, I also had a another question...My recruiter told me after the two years of school you go through in the nuke field you would have a college degree in Nuclear Operations or Engineering? Are there any other jobs that your training can award you a college degree?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?