Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO wages, hours, and benefits.

Author Topic: NLO wages, hours, and benefits.  (Read 29919 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Re: NLO wages, hours, and benefits.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:04 »
Ops? No.

Like I have said before on this forum, I had a VP with the TE degree, among several other managers.

SRO license trumps all, in my experience.

Yeah, but getting said license is the key here ;) 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:08 »
Of course. :) Anyone with the right attitude and ability can do it, and probably will do it. I haven't heard anyone say "we are overmanned on SROs."

Just stay out of the sour grapes group at your plant.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 02:08 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:14 »
Of course. :) Anyone with the right attitude and ability can do it, and probably will do it. I haven't heard anyone say "we are overmanned on SROs."

Just stay out of the sour grapes group at your plant.

but sour grapes makes the best wine ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:53 »
no a decon tech is not considered responsible nuclear experience, responsible being the key. responsible usually implies some sort of supervisory experience in operating or maintaining a nuclear facility. chemistry can count, engineering can count. on the other hand if i did have a decon tech with a tech degree that qualified i would hire him over a nuke fresh out of the navy. he's already proven he can negotiate the ins and outs of commercial power. btw i like deconners, we had great success at my old facility when we opened up our nlo bids to deconners provided of course they met all other requirements. we had to modify the classes a bit because many had not had any sort of schooling in 10 to 20 years but they qualified quickly, had excellent attitudes, were masters of midnight appropriation, were already familiar with big league radcon practices and procedures. my last shift had three ex radcon techs and one ex rp tech and they all did excellent work and were superior trainers. i'd take them again in a heartbeat.

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:28 »
Hes at prototype now, theres no reason whatsoever he cant qualifiy watch supervisor in a year unless 1) they wont let him or 2) theres some type of administrative holdup. You should re-read your requirements to become an SRO...

10cfr55 -> At least 3 years of nuclear power plant experience is required instead of 3 years of general power plant experience

does not specify navy or civilian.

It DOES however, state A bachelor's degree in engineering, engineering technology, or physical science is required unless the operator has had 1 year of experience as a licensed reactor operator or 2 years of experience qualified in certain senior watch stations in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program (including that of a naval reactor operator).

They are also required to be onsite for 6 months prior to initiation of training. (Why???)
I was also an instructor at prototype for 3 years. If he is a staff pickup then he will not qualify no matter what. Qualifying EWS is not a qualification that you can start because you want to at prototype the staff training group selects you based on your exam performance and other factors since the board involves having Naval Reactors on it unlike your EWS ships board. The requirements I got for SRO involving being qualified EWS came directly off of TVA's and several other power plants websites job postings for SRO positions and I only put the EWS requirement on there since that is what you stated he should try to do. I am also qualified EWS but 4 months short of 2 yrs and I have my Bachelors degree in nuclear engineering technology and when I put my application in for SRO and did interviews as soon as they found out I was not an EWS for 2 years they said I should look at NLO positions.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 10:37 by snellca »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:31 »
but sour grapes makes the best wine ;)

only after being repeatedly CRUSHED underfoot by Management.  :P

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2011, 04:00 »
only after being repeatedly CRUSHED underfoot by Management.  :P

Lmfao :) that's great

Snellca - no pity from me. You could have extended forr a few months,man, why WOULDN'T you???

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:29 »
Believe me I dont need your pity I didn't extend because I have a daughter that is currently in the hospital and the boat is trying to get me to go on an underway when my family needs me. I am happy with my decision also I would rather learn the plant and then go to SRO quals since I know several people including a 22 year reactor operator chief that failed out of the SRO training program.  I was just providing him with some information but it seems that alot of people just want to say how right they are and how wrong other people are.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011, 01:31 by snellca »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2011, 03:22 »
Believe me I dont need your pity I didn't extend because I have a daughter that is currently in the hospital and the boat is trying to get me to go on an underway when my family needs me. I am happy with my decision also I would rather learn the plant and then go to SRO quals since I know several people including a 22 year reactor operator chief that failed out of the SRO training program.  I was just providing him with some information but it seems that alot of people just want to say how right they are and how wrong other people are.

As long as you're happy with your decision, thats fine. We had 5 navy guys fail our last SRO class. I understand your position, but four months just seems to be.. so close O.o. Family > job though, no question there bro.

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2011, 06:53 »
Yeah I am happy with what I decided they tried to tell me if I extended I would have to extend for at least another year and go on two 4 month deployments but when you have a child starting medical procedures for lukemia it was easy to say no.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:10 »
Yeah I am happy with what I decided they tried to tell me if I extended I would have to extend for at least another year and go on two 4 month deployments but when you have a child starting medical procedures for lukemia it was easy to say no.

Yeah thats an easy choice man. I apologize for my bold statement earlier.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:39 »
 I was just providing him with some information but it seems that alot of people just want to say how right they are and how wrong other people are.

Welcome to NW, BTW. Most threads, regardless of topic, eventually boil down to a battle of egos and who is "righter" or "wronger." :P You can see this unfold in the Japan thread in nuke news, as people that have any sort of BWR experience start to debate what is going on there... all the while no one really knows since we aren't there nor is the media providing accurate information. That won't stop us from using what we know about out particular plants and trying to apply it to the Japanese plant... even though it doesn't. :)

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:22 »
Apology accepted thanks for helping out up and coming nuclear operators it can be a confusing and stressful time when they are looking for jobs.

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #38 on: Mar 12, 2011, 11:45 »
Good to know you landed one,...

Thanks I got several offers but i think i made the right choice.

Offline jws03d

• Very Lite User
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:40 »
He shouldn't have had to explain it.

I guess the sarcasm wasn't really picked up.  I shouldn't have to explain it.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:37 »
I guess the sarcasm wasn't really picked up.  I shouldn't have to explain it.

Besides a useless bump for an old thread, whats goin on with your ACL?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?