Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AO/NLO vs. Instrument & Controls Tech  

Author Topic: AO/NLO vs. Instrument & Controls Tech  (Read 10346 times)

Offline wokrdan

• Very Lite User
AO/NLO vs. Instrument & Controls Tech
« on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:39 »
I've come across a few postings for instrument and control tech positions and was wondering if anyone could elaborate if it is a step up or down from an AO/NLO position. Anyone who has experience in these positions, could you tell me the pros and cons of each such as hours, pay, experience, etc between the two? I am a nuke ET w/ 10 years experience, and am looking for civilian positions.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: AO/NLO vs. Instrument & Controls Tech
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2011, 03:52 »
Its not a step up or down in the purist sense. They are two completely different jobs each with their own distinct career path.

Do you want the career of an RO or Reactor Technician? Do you want to operate or calibrate?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:45 »
I&C tech - Dayshift with plenty of OT available....

Operator - shift work, with limited OT available.

Operator can lead to upper management. But as the contest rules state - many will enter, but few will win....

I&C techs that I know are generally less stressed than their operator counterparts.... no license quals, less backshift to upset family routines. But the Operators I know are more ambitious, so you have that. I know some I&C that used to be operators (changed before license).

It's different jobs.. and career paths....  8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:32 »
I've been an instrument tech for over 26 years.  In that time we have had many operators transfer from NLO to tech, and only one the other way.

Our techs are paid more than NLO's for the simple reason that it is more difficult to find qualified techs than it is to find operators.  That is not intended as a slam against operators, it's just a fact.

Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

ski2313

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2011, 10:40 »
What's the starting pay and maxed out pay for a typical I&C tech at your plant? How about Ops?

MacGyver

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2011, 10:56 »
I've been an instrument tech for over 26 years.  In that time we have had many operators transfer from NLO to tech, and only one the other way.

Our techs are paid more than NLO's for the simple reason that it is more difficult to find qualified techs than it is to find operators.  That is not intended as a slam against operators, it's just a fact.

None taken.

What's the starting pay and maxed out pay for a typical I&C tech at your plant? How about Ops?

Some plants pay the I&C more than the licensed RO plant operators.  In some cases much more.  (e.g. Southern Nuclear comes to mind.)
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2011, 10:57 by MacGyver »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:41 »
If your goal is to be a tech until retirement, by all means go I and C instead of NLO. I could not imagine desiring to get beat up as an NLO for 20 plus years.

Offline wokrdan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:29 »
If I were to go into an ops position, how hard would it be to transfer to a tech job at the same plant? Is it just waiting for a spot to open up and apply, or are there usually contractual obligations?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:41 »
If your goal is to be a tech until retirement, by all means go I and C instead of NLO. I could not imagine desiring to get beat up as an NLO for 20 plus years.

Unless that lucky tech causes one or more of those (Reactor) "Trip and Cals" incorrectly!  >:(

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?