Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Landing an interview... honeypot

Author Topic: Landing an interview...  (Read 31179 times)

ski2313

Re: Landing an interview...
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2011, 10:56 »
I included an "objective" on my resume(s).

..had name, contact info, etc on top.. then:

Objective: To secure an Auxiliary Operator position with {utility name} and obtain SRO license.

Verbatim.. including "bold".

The rest of the resume was very easy on the eyes.. bullet points, spaced out generously.. and to the point, while delivering a specific message.. one page max. The gist of my resume was that I "have a brain" (good grades in college level math and science courses), I am comfortable and experienced with shift work, and most importantly this is not only the position I want, but also the career path I want.. This message was again supplemented with an easy to read, to the point,  logical cover letter.. And if that wasn't enough, I know for a fact that that same message carried through at the interview. I'm certainly no expert on job applications, but I'm pointing out what worked for me, as well as my underlying logic.. Hope that helps.

-ski

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:22 »
gfes is the general fundamentals exam given by the nrc to prospective licensed operators. it consists of components, thermo, and reactor theory. it's given 4 times a year at each utility that has a licensed class in progress. the exam itself is good for 3 years iirc. it might be two years. if you haven't licensed by that point you take a utility administered exam. prior to receiving a license you have to pass this test in fact iirc to get examined by the nrc you have to pass it. if you are licensed at utility a and then go to utility b you have to take a utility administered gfes unless you are changing types of reactors. since my original license was bwr i had to take an nrc administered pwr test when i changed utilities. reactor theory is different for both types and thermo and components are different to some extent mostly because the thermal limits for fuel are different for both types with the bwr having far more and more complex thermal limits.

when i took my bwr gfes in 1992 it was a 100 question test. now it is 50 questions. you need to score a 80 to pass. the genesis of the test is as follows. back in the day theory was on nrc exams. an individual passed the overall exam but failed the theory portion so he did not get his license. the individual took the nrc to court and won a victory of sorts because the basis of his lawsuit was it's only a theory, no one has ever looked inside a reactor or a molecule of heated water to prove the
theory was a fact. now the judge never made a ruling however to head off any ruling which might impede the ability to throw out theory on as a basis for exams the nrc agreed to let the individual take only a theory exam vice retake the entire exam. also they made theory and such it's w exam and made it a pre req to getting a license vice a part of the license exam itself.

this doesn't keep them from having questions on theory on exams they simply disguise it as plant transient response and don't have a specific section on it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:37 »
Thanks mike. No one here has mentioned said test, so I guess they have a while before it crops up again.

That said... would a good cover page trump an "objectives" statement? Do you desire that spot to be there on the resume?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:46 »
PWR GFES in the bag.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:48 »
PWR GFES in the bag.

glad to hear it.

Pman52

« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:24 »
PWR GFES in the bag.

Nice work... ;)

Fahrenschnell

« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:52 »
PWR GFES in the bag.

Good Job.....Do you stress about those tests, or are they second nature at this point?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:08 »
Good Job.....Do you stress about those tests, or are they second nature at this point?

Second nature at this point.

Don't ask me about my attendance during this GFES course. :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:13 »
Second nature at this point.

Don't ask me about my attendance during this GFES course. :P

If you scored over 80 you over-studied ;)

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:03 »
I was just recently hired as an auxiliary operator and the only thing that seemed to work for me involving landing an interview was knowing someone that worked at the plant or had connections there. I met the person that hired me at a job fair but all the other interviews i went on were started by me getting the number to HR and calling.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:17 »
basically, from what i can see, the only thing thats constant is that everything and every person is different and has different experiences.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #36 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:17 »
If you scored over 80 you over-studied ;)

Um... yeah about that studying thing.  8)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #37 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:17 »
I was just recently hired as an auxiliary operator and the only thing that seemed to work for me involving landing an interview was knowing someone that worked at the plant or had connections there. I met the person that hired me at a job fair but all the other interviews i went on were started by me getting the number to HR and calling.

You're right sir, back on topic. My GFES has nothing to do with this.

But yes, having someone on the inside does help. That is why I offer my services here to good people all the time.

MacGyver

« Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:36 »
You're right sir, back on topic. My GFES has nothing to do with this.

But yes, having someone on the inside does help. That is why I offer my services here to good people all the time.

HydroDave63, BroadZilla and you sir do a fine job in this area.  Kudos.   +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K {if I had it to give; x3}

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2011, 01:54 »
HydroDave63, BroadZilla and you sir do a fine job in this area.  Kudos.   +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K {if I had it to give; x3}

You can for 10 cents a day. ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #40 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:55 »

Shayne

« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:12 »
DTE found my resume on-line when I was hired at Fermi. It was about 8 pages of bullets of every thing I had done and I didn't think it was search able.  However, It got me into interview where I was offered a job.

I think a cover letter is better than an objective statement. Especially if you have a long resume.  You also could use cover letter to explain why you are qualified for NLO job if your resume doesn't have recent applicable experience. It appears the the biggest item you have against you is you have been out of industry for a while.  I have found some of the Navy Nukes that I have been interviewing in the last few years, the longer they have been out of power plants, the less they seem qualified to operate or work on them.

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2011, 02:50 by Shayne »

MacGyver

« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:39 »
DTE found my resume on-line when I was hired at Fermi. It was about 8 pages of bullets of every thing I had done and I didn't think it was search able.  However, It got me into interview where I was offered a job.

I think a cover letter is better than an objective statement. Especially if you have a long resume.  You also could use cover letter to explain why you are qualified for NLO job if your resume doesn't have recent applicable experience. It appears the the biggest item you have against you is you have been out of industry for a while.
  I have found some of the Navy Nukes that I have been interviewing in the last few years, the longer they have been out of power plants, the less they seem qualified to operate or work on them.

Shayne can you elaborate for our quests (and me too) on "seems" vs what you are hiring?  Allow me to clarify.  Are you still considerting for interview and/or hiring these ex-navy nukes or passing them bye?  And, {follow-up}, what are the results if you are hiring them?

Thank you.

Shayne

« Reply #43 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:29 »
I no longer work in the nuclear world, but do work on power plants.  I still look to hire Navy Nukes, but have found that the people that left the industry (power/utilities) and are looking to get 'back' into power plants, don't interview as well.  About 2/3 of the dozen or so didn't do well on technical side of the interview.  The rest did move on in the process and one has been hired.

Why?  I'm not sure, maybe they got out of the power business because they were not interested in the business and forgot what they did know about power plants.  Maybe they are just overconfident. 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2011, 04:33 »
I no longer work in the nuclear world, but do work on power plants.  I still look to hire Navy Nukes, but have found that the people that left the industry (power/utilities) and are looking to get 'back' into power plants, don't interview as well.  About 2/3 of the dozen or so didn't do well on technical side of the interview.  The rest did move on in the process and one has been hired.

Why?  I'm not sure, maybe they got out of the power business because they were not interested in the business and forgot what they did know about power plants.  Maybe they are just overconfident. 

bazinga!

"We were nukes in the navy. we know everything!" 

I can see that being a problem.

:D

drayer54

« Reply #45 on: Mar 18, 2011, 06:45 »
bazinga!
"We were nukes in the navy. we know everything!" 
I can see that being a problem.
:D
I am going to track down my old SLPO and find out where those 6 figure "to sweep the floor" jobs are.....
I'm also curious if flail management is a desired skill on the outside.....

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #46 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:09 »
I am going to track down my old SLPO and find out where those 6 figure "to sweep the floor" jobs are.....
I'm also curious if flail management is a desired skill on the outside.....

to segue this back on topic. We are brainwashed as pups in the nuke program that we are the cream of the crop, that no one is better then us, and that when we get out we are going to be the best of the best. Then you get and reality knocks on your door. I think this is one of the major problems with navy nukes. I can somewhat understand why employers would be slightly reticent about hiring us, and probably more to do with our attitude then our back ground.

Anyone care to chime in on that?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:26 »
to segue this back on topic. We are brainwashed as pups in the nuke program that we are the cream of the crop, that no one is better then us, and that when we get out we are going to be the best of the best. Then you get and reality knocks on your door. I think this is one of the major problems with navy nukes. I can somewhat understand why employers would be slightly reticent about hiring us, and probably more to do with our attitude then our back ground.

Anyone care to chime in on that?

Not far off of the mark. What many recently separated nukes forget is that they are the nubs again. They just have a good foundation and proven track record of an ability to learn, an above average IQ (by more than a slim margin) proven by acceptance into the program, and a work ethic (Fast Attack sailors anyway). There are company owners,
presidents, and Chief Operating Officers who were exNavy Nukes at a number of companies in the Oak Ridge area that have nothing to so with power production. Most of them ex ELTs. The time in the Navy is valuable but it needs to be put in perspective each employer wants to know what you can do for them and their company does not weigh anchor and throw off a bow line.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:07 »
   Not far off of the mark. What many recently separated nukes forget is that they are the nubs again. They just have a good foundation and proven track record of an ability to learn, an above average IQ (by more than a slim margin) proven by acceptance into the program, and a work ethic (Fast Attack sailors anyway). There are company owners,
presidents, and Chief Operating Officers who were exNavy Nukes at a number of companies in the Oak Ridge area that have nothing to so with power production. Most of them ex ELTs. The time in the Navy is valuable but it needs to be put in perspective each employer wants to know what you can do for them and their company does not weigh anchor and throw off a bow line.

good thing we have justin, mikey, and xe-free here to set us straight hahaa ;)

I found out that my plant actually didnt hire a navy nuke O.o. Makes me wonder what he said in his interview!!!  Our AOMT told the class he hired us all because of our attitudes, not whether or not we can do the job. so thats kinda cool to know.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #49 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:09 »
I found out that my plant actually didnt hire a navy nuke O.o. Makes me wonder what he said in his interview!!! 

Perhaps he was one of the dingbats recruited by MM1 Subnuke?  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?