Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Japan's Nukes Following Earthquake

Author Topic: Japan's Nukes Following Earthquake  (Read 564480 times)

matthew.b

Re: Japan's Nukes Following Earthquake
« Reply #775 on: Nov 24, 2011, 12:06 »
It was mixed reviews in my household.  I found it quite interesting and thorough.  Wifey looked over my shoulder and proclaimed "Dear God, why would anyone read something so incredibly boring."

I'd like to see more on what's happened since the end of the report narrative. 

matthew.b

« Reply #776 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:02 »
Two of the handouts from the Nov 30 press conference have now been translated to English by TEPCO:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/images/handouts_111130_04-e.pdf

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/images/handouts_111130_08-e.pdf

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #777 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:22 »
Two of the handouts from the Nov 30 press conference have now been translated to English by TEPCO:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/images/handouts_111130_04-e.pdf

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/images/handouts_111130_08-e.pdf

Lots of colorful pictures and graphs with simple explanations. My kind of reports.  ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #778 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:28 »

Surveys find radiation and more leaked water
21 June 2012 

A robotic survey of the unit 2 reactor building in mid-June measured radiation levels directly over the fifth floor reactor well, where radiation was extremely high.
Measurements ranged from 415-530 mSv/hr directly adjacent to the well, and 783-880 mSv/hr directly over it. Even near the open spent fuel pool, which the mobile robot Quince photographed, levels ranged between 80-173 mSv/hr. The temperature and humidity over the reactor well was 20.5°C—however it is ventilated by the opening from the blow-out panel—and humidity is 75.3%. Radiation measured on lower floors was much less: 10-23 mSv/hr on the third floor, and 11-22 mSv/hr on the fourth floor.

http://www.neimagazine.com/story.asp?sectioncode=72&storyCode=2062559&goback=%2Egde_2530360_member_128566879

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #779 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:58 »
The Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission of the Japanese Diet has issued it's report.

http://naiic.go.jp/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/NAIIC_report_lo_res.pdf

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Workers at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant were ordered to cover their dosimeters with lead plates to keep radiation doses low enough to continue working under dangerous conditions, the Asahi Shimbun has learned.

Some refused the orders. Others raised questions about their safety and the legality of the practice. But the man in charge, a senior official of a subcontractor of Tokyo Electric Power Co., warned them that they would lose their jobs--and any chance of employment at other nuclear plants--if they failed to comply.

The pocket-sized dosimeters sound an alarm when they detect high radiation levels. A worker who has been exposed to an accumulated dose of 50 millisieverts within a year must stop working and stay away from the area for a certain period of time.

The 54-year-old senior official at Build-Up, a midsize construction company based in Fukushima Prefecture, worked out a system to ensure the dosimeters would not reach the limit, according to the workers. It included having the workers themselves build the lead cover that would prevent the radiation from reaching the dosimeters.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ201207210069

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #781 on: Jul 25, 2012, 12:00 »
Just what the industry needs!

>:( >:( >:( >:(
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #782 on: Jul 25, 2012, 12:37 »
Just what the industry needs!

>:( >:( >:( >:(

I am hoping it is just one overzealous manager. The US has similar skeletons in it's closet (not recently to be clear) but we are as an industry ethical in these matters. But yes any black eye hurts all of us even internationally. I am glad to hear that many of the workers did question the practice as the Japanese are higher than Americans on the Power Distance index and much lower on the individualistic scales.

Just finished reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell who references these scales in his book. Instead of a Sea-Lawyer I guess you could call me Sea-Physiologist  ;)
http://www.clearlycultural.com/geert-hofstede-cultural-dimensions/power-distance-index/

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #783 on: Jul 29, 2012, 01:38 »
Physiology
1 : a branch of biology that deals with the functions and activities of life or of living matter (as organs, tissues, or cells) and of the physical and chemical phenomena involved.

"A major lapse in Japanese aviation was air to air communication. Voice radios were generally unreliable, often due to unshielded ignitions so pilots developed ishin denshin or a mutual sixth sense."
Clash of the Carriers, Barrett Tillman

Marlin,
   Thankyou again for the "well done". It meant alot to me.
Bill

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2012, 01:41 by wlrun3 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #784 on: Jul 29, 2012, 04:19 »
Who do suppose wrote the RWP for this job? And, what is Yoshi on the extended probe reading? Somewhere around Godzilla/hr I'd imagine...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:11 by HydroDave63 »

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #785 on: Jul 29, 2012, 08:22 »
It is probably new fuel they had staged for the refueling.  Trying to recover it, I would guess.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
Workers at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant were ordered to cover their dosimeters with lead plates to keep radiation doses low enough to continue working under dangerous conditions, the Asahi Shimbun has learned.

Some refused the orders. Others raised questions about their safety and the legality of the practice. But the man in charge, a senior official of a subcontractor of Tokyo Electric Power Co., warned them that they would lose their jobs--and any chance of employment at other nuclear plants--if they failed to comply.

The funny thing about this is that if you find an anti-nuclear site you'll find statements saying that they were "ordered" to shield their TLD's or else they would lose their jobs. If you look at other sites you'll find that they were told that if they wanted to continue working at the fukushima site they should shield their TLD's because they would have to stop working there once they received their allotted exposure. It's not as if they were going to be fired if they didn't shield their TLD's, they just wouldn't be allowed to receive any more radiation for the year.

Now, don't get me wrong I think the company was still pissing on moral boundaries but the workers were not threatened with their jobs as some activists would like you to believe.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #787 on: Sep 08, 2012, 09:22 »
The stresses of personal involvement in the evacuation, management and cleanup related to the Fukushima nuclear accident have emerged as the biggest factors in ill health for Japanese people.

The mental or physical burden of the forced move from their homes because of the Fukushima accident was the cause of 34 early deaths, said a report from Japan's Reconstruction Agency on 21 August. The figure compares to 1916 people from Fukushima, Iwate and Miyagi prefectures that died during evacuation from areas hit only by the tsunami and the earthquake. The leading causes of the majority of those early deaths were disruption to the smooth operation of hospitals, the exacerbation of pre-existing health problems, and the general 'mental fatigue' from dramatic changes in life situation.

"If we took a 'do more good than harm' approach I suspect we would abandon forced evacuation altogether, especially where iodine tables are available."

Malcolm Grimston
Imperial College

A cross-section of all people that died during their evacuation showed that the vast majority were elderly: only 4% were below 60 years of age, while 67% were over 80. Some 18% of these fatalities came within one week of the natural disasters and nuclear accident; 48% within one month; and 78% within three months.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_The_health_effects_of_Fukushima_2808121.html?goback=%2Egde_2170900_member_154737743

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #788 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:53 »
The stresses of personal involvement in the evacuation, management and cleanup related to the Fukushima nuclear accident have emerged as the biggest factors in ill health for Japanese people.

The mental or physical burden of the forced move from their homes because of the Fukushima accident was the cause of 34 early deaths, said a report from Japan's Reconstruction Agency on 21 August. The figure compares to 1916 people from Fukushima, Iwate and Miyagi prefectures that died during evacuation from areas hit only by the tsunami and the earthquake. The leading causes of the majority of those early deaths were disruption to the smooth operation of hospitals, the exacerbation of pre-existing health problems, and the general 'mental fatigue' from dramatic changes in life situation.

"If we took a 'do more good than harm' approach I suspect we would abandon forced evacuation altogether, especially where iodine tables are available."

Malcolm Grimston
Imperial College

A cross-section of all people that died during their evacuation showed that the vast majority were elderly: only 4% were below 60 years of age, while 67% were over 80. Some 18% of these fatalities came within one week of the natural disasters and nuclear accident; 48% within one month; and 78% within three months.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_The_health_effects_of_Fukushima_2808121.html?goback=%2Egde_2170900_member_154737743

Here is a parallel article that critisizes the evacuation then continues to evacuation and emergancy response in general. The full article is at the link below.

The Aftermath of Fukushima

Civil Defense Perspectives September 2012, Vol. 28 No. 6

After Fukushima, people are asking questions such as: Should Japan, and the world, totally give up on nuclear energy(Nature 6/7/12)? Casualties from radiation, from the worst nuclear accident in history, are still zero. But what about the projected later cancers?  What if an accident contaminates the environment forever? Should people be allowed to return home?

A rational discussion of evacuation policy must begin with the question: “What is the dose?” The follow-up: If we evacuate Fukushima, should Denver be evacuated? How about Finland?

The Harm of Over-reaction

The 172,000 people living within a 30-km radius of the Fukushima Daiichi plant have been forced or advised to leave. More than two-thirds of the world’s 211 nuclear power plants have more people than that living with 30 km (Nature 4/28/11).

Because of shutting down most of its nuclear reactors, Japan’s imports of fuel increased by $55 billion in 2011. This, coupled with slowdowns in manufacturing from power shortages, reversed  Japan’s trade balance from 20 years of trade surpluses to an $18 billion deficit (W. Tucker, WSJ 3/6/12).

Uprooting people from their homes, work, and usual support systems, and forcing them into crowded refugee centers, causes casualties, especially among the elderly. It may permanently destroy their livelihood from farm or business. After Chernobyl, the most widespread and devastating effects were psychological, including suicide and psychosis, writes Z. Jaworowski (http://tinyurl.com/95rdafa). He attributes this to excessive remedial measures and global radiophobic propaganda.

Consistent, Meaningful Doses

The public is often frightened by doses given in tiny units, or confused by new international units (sieverts, grays) versus older units (rems, rads). For example, some workers “suffered” exposures of 100,000 μSv [100 mSv, 10 rad] after wading in radioactive water (WSJ 6/14/11).

Another scary number is the 36,000 terabequerels (~1 million curies [Ci]) of radioactivity that the plants “spewed”—which amounted to 11 kg of radioactive material out of the 60,000 kg of fuel per unit (http://tinyurl.com/9mvb5du). Alarmists warned that the reactors contained about 134 million Ci of Cs-137 or 85 times as much as was released at Chernobyl. In contrast, U.S. and Russian weapons complexes have released some 1.6 billion Ci, compared with an inventory of ~140 billion Ci in the oceans.

Exposures from a contaminated environment, suggest Buongiorno et al., should be compared with average total natural background rates (http://tinyurl.com/c6whqb8). This accounts for the low dose-rate and is thus more scientifically valid than comparisons with medical exposures delivered over a few seconds. Comparison with the range of natural levels is also much more informative than with government permissible limits, which may be thousands of times too low.

The world average dose-rate for natural background is 0.27 μSv/hr (times 8766 hr/y gives 2.4/y). The excess dose received in Denver is 3 mSv/y—what Richard Muller calls the “Denver dose.” The current International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) evacuation standard of 1 mSv/y would appear to require the immediate evacuation of Denver, Muller notes (WSJ 8/18-19/12),  among many other places.

Some approximate lifetime (70-y) exposures in mSv:

United States (avg)

Sweden*

Finland*

Chernobyl (“high” contamination)*

Kerala, India (coastal)+

1,600-14,000

Ramsar, Iran (high background area)‡

*Jaworowski, op. cit.; +Luckey http://tinyurl.com/9jrt52u;

‡Health Physics 2002;82:87-93.

http://www.physiciansforcivildefense.org/2012/09/28/the-aftermath-of-fukushima/#more-44

MacGyver

« Reply #789 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:00 »
'I am one of the Fukushima fifty': One of the men who risked their lives to prevent a catastrophe shares his story

pull quote

It was, recalls Atsufumi Yoshizawa, a suicide mission: volunteering to return to a dangerously radioactive nuclear power plant on the verge of tipping out of control. 

As he said goodbye to his colleagues they saluted him, like soldiers in battle. The wartime analogies were hard to avoid: in the international media he was a kamikaze, a samurai or simply one of the heroic Fukushima 50. The descriptions still embarrass him. “I’m not a hero,” he says. “I was just trying to do my job.”

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #790 on: Mar 02, 2013, 12:07 »

Malcolm Grimston
Imperial College

Following up again in reference to over reaction to nuclear disasters is the WHO report on anticipated cancers from release of radioactive material from Fukishima power plant.

The release of radioactive materials from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant 2 years ago this month is unlikely to cause a significant cancer burden, according to a 172-page report released yesterday (February 28) by the World Health Organization (WHO). While workers who were directly involved with the disaster may be at higher risk of leukemia, thyroid cancer, and all solid cancers, even those living near the plant should be safe, the WHO concluded.

“Outside the geographical areas most affected by radiation, even in locations within Fukushima prefecture, the predicted risks remain low and no observable increases in cancer above natural variation in baseline rates are anticipated,” the report’s summary read.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34565/title/Little-Cancer-Risk-from-Fukushima/

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #791 on: Mar 02, 2013, 12:17 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #792 on: Mar 12, 2013, 10:36 »
Radiation levels across the Fukushima Daiichi power plant site have dropped significantly as clean-up efforts continue. Most workers receive less than 1 milliSievert of radiation per month - well within normal limits.

Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) has employed some 25,837 workers at the power plant since March 2011, keeping records of their radiation doses during the accident as well as the clean-up operation. One important task has been to protect workers and make the site workable by decontaminating the site and clearing away the radioactive rubble that was spread by the hydrogen explosions. Dust inhibiting sprays were used and heavy rubble was handled by remote control earth moving equipment. An airtight cover has been installed over unit 1 to prevent airborne release and the majority of rubble has been cleared from all the reactor building roofs.

A radiation survey map of the site made last week revealed substantial progress: the highest dose rate anywhere on the site was 0.15 milliSieverts per hour (mSv/h) near units 3 and 4. Two years ago a similar survey put the highest dose rate at 300 mSv/h near rubble lying alongside unit 3.

Fukushima Daiichi 4 area and central storage facility 28-29 March 2011 (Tepco) 460x120
Wreckage from the non-nuclear seafront portion of the plant stands out in an area otherwise cleared of debris in this archive picture from late March 2011 (Image: Tepco)

Elsewhere on site, the latest survey showed three areas with rates of 0.13 and one with 0.10 mSv/h. Below that, the higher levels found were spots at 0.06 mSv/h and 0.04 mSv/h. The majority of the power plant area is at less than 0.01 mSv/h, although of course many areas inside the power plant buildings remain too hazardous for workers to enter.

This reduction in on-site radiation is one factor in low doses for workers, also shown by recent data: During January, the 5702 workers at the site received an average of 0.86 mSv, with 75% of workers recorded as receiving less than 1 mSv. In total, only about 2% of workers received over 5 mSv and the highest dose in January was 12.65 mSv for one worker.

Occupational health and safety rules place a limit of 50 mSv/y per year on professionals working with radiation in Japan. Exposure limits of 100 mSv and 250 mSv were in place during the most difficult days of the accident but these have since been taken away in favour of more normal radiation protection standards.

Tepco managers assign tasks on the basis of each worker's exposure to date, their specific expertise and the predicted exposure from a planned task. This allows managers to make progress on site while keeping doses as low as they can. In total from March 2011 to the end of January 2013 some 25,837 workers had spent time on site. Of these, over 95% received less than 50 mSv during the 25 month period; 4% received 50-100 mSv and fewer than 1% received over 100 mSv.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Controlling_doses_at_Fukushima_plant_1103131.html?goback=%2Egde_2530360_member_221671086

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #793 on: Mar 12, 2013, 10:42 »
Pressure-washer robot to aid Fukushima decontamination

A new robot that delivers an extremely high-pressure jet of water will soon join the decontamination effort at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

Workers need to sluice down the walls and floors of buildings before they can safely work inside, and the robot's arm would allow operators to direct a jet of water up to 2 meters in height, developer Hitachi Ltd. said.

The company said the water is under such high pressure it can remove paint or even the surface of concrete.

The robot, named "Arounder," was shown to the media on March 8.

Operators will control it remotely, using six cameras to monitor its progress. The operators will be located at least 75 meters away.

And with regard to one enduring problem at the plant--vast quantities of radioactive water--Hitachi said the robot will suck back up almost all the water it uses, leaving little on site and making it easier to deal with the contaminated material it collects.

Its tanks will hold enough water to clean up to 5 square meters at a time.

The robot is expected to be deployed at the nuclear plant in the summer.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20130309p2g00m0dm012000c.html?goback=%2Egde_2530360_member_221625260

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #794 on: Mar 26, 2013, 11:59 »
Rat Body Linked to Blackout at Atomic Site

TOKYO — The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant said Wednesday that it had found what it believed was the cause of an extended blackout that disabled vital cooling systems this week: the charred body of a rat.

The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, said that when its engineers looked inside a faulty switchboard, they found burn marks and the rodent’s scorched body. The company said it appeared that the rat had somehow short-circuited the switchboard, possibly by gnawing on cables.

The company, known as Tepco, has blamed problems with the switchboard for the power failure that began Monday, cutting off the flow of cooling water to four pools used to store more than 8,800 nuclear fuel rods. It took Tepco almost a day to restore cooling to the first of the affected pools, with cooling of the final pool resuming early Wednesday.

Tepco said it would have taken several days for temperatures in the pools to have risen above the safe level of 65 degrees Celsius, or 149 degrees Fahrenheit. Still, the blackout served as an uncomfortable reminder to many Japanese about the continuing vulnerability of the plant, which had a triple meltdown in March 2011 after a huge earthquake and tsunami knocked out cooling systems. It was the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

Two years later, the Fukushima plant still relies on makeshift cooling systems, some of which were built as stopgap measures in the frantic weeks and months after the accident. The spent fuel pools have been a particular source of concern because they contain far more radioactive material than the three reactor cores that melted down two years ago, forcing the evacuation of 160,000 people.

A Tepco spokesman, Masayuki Ono, said temperatures in the pools were cooling, though it would take several days for them to get back to their pre-blackout levels.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #795 on: Jul 10, 2013, 10:05 »
TOKYO, July 10 | Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:29am EDT
Japan's nuclear regulator expressed growing alarm on Wednesday at increased contamination beside the seafront of the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station and urged the plant's operators to take protective measures.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/10/japan-nuclear-idUSL4N0FG1IY20130710?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssEnergyNews&rpc=43

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #796 on: Jul 26, 2013, 11:51 »
Steam coming from the building? This does not sound good after all this time.

Fukushima nuclear plant: Japan takes steps over sea leak

Japan says it is taking steps to prevent contaminated water from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant leaking into the sea.

The plant's operator recently admitted for the first time that radioactive water was still going into the sea.

A government spokesman said the authorities had taken immediate action.

Workers were asked to act promptly to stop the leak as steam was seen rising from one of the reactor buildings for the second time in a week.

On Tuesday, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) said steam was seen around the fifth floor of the building housing Reactor No 3 shortly after 09:00 local time (00:00 GMT).

Workers were continuing with the ongoing operation to inject cooling water into the reactor and a pool storing nuclear fuel, it added.

It is not clear what is causing the steam, but levels of radiation around the reactor have not changed.

The sight of steam rising is worrying because it means somewhere inside the reactor building water is boiling, says the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Tokyo.

The badly damaged reactors are supposed to be in what is called "cold shutdown"; the temperature of the cooling water inside the reactor should be well below boiling point.

It is another sign that Tepco still does not fully know what is going on inside the damaged reactors, our correspondent adds.

Steam was last seen rising from a reactor building at the plant on 18 July.

The plant was crippled by an earthquake and tsunami in 2011, which knocked out cooling systems to the reactors, three of which melted down.

Leak

On Monday, Tepco said the plant was likely to be leaking contaminated water into the sea, something that has been suspected for some time, but previously denied by the company.

Outside experts have long suspected that the damaged reactors are leaking water, because of the very high levels of radioactive caesium still being found in samples of fish taken near the plant.

"High readings of radiation were detected from the soil [ground] of the turbine building. We are very sorry for causing concerns to many people, and especially we deeply apologise to the people of Fukushima," a company spokesman said.

Plant officials believe a leak is possible because the underground water levels in suspected areas fluctuate according to tide movements and rainfall, he added.

The Japanese government says it is taking the issue seriously.

"The ministry of trade, economy and industry was instructed to act promptly to prevent contaminated water from leaking to the ocean," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference on Tuesday.

Since 2011, the plant has seen a series of water leaks and power failures.

Earlier this month, a sharp increase in radioactive caesium was detected in groundwater 25 metres (82ft) from the sea.

In June, radioactive water was also found to be leaking from a storage tank.

Experts say years of work lie ahead before the problems at the plant can be fully contained.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23419325?goback=%2Egde_2530360_member_260808614

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #797 on: Aug 10, 2013, 07:00 »
   This originally came from Pravda (Truth) I'll let you be the judge. Best to be informed about the information that the nuclear naïve have read. I saw this picture on Facebook with the title of this article it did not take long to find the source.
Fukushima: Pacific Ocean poisoned, millions at risk!

Bad news from Fukushima. Over two years since the nuclear explosion which wrecked the facility after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, the Pacific Ocean is being poisoned daily with lethal doses of highly toxic substances. This has been going on for over two years and according to some analysts, millions of people are at risk. Including in the USA.

Michael Snyder is among many researchers investigating the tonnes of toxic waste pouring every single day from Fukushima for some 750 days, and it continues, every single second of every minute of every day, week and month. In his article “Radioactive Water From Fukushima Is Systematically Poisoning The Entire Pacific Ocean” published originally in the website The Truth on August 6, 2013, he claims that “a massive amount of highly radioactive water is escaping into the Pacific Ocean from the ruins of the destroyed Fukushima nuclear facility in Japan.”

The article identifies tritium, cesium and strontium as the toxic substances pouring into the Pacific Ocean and being spread far and wide by ocean currents, rain and wind. Due to the fact that these substances are toxic and are almost certainly in the food chain, then people consuming contaminated Pacific seafood are probably already contaminated and possibly have rising levels of toxicity building up inside them.

Let us see what the operator of the plant, TEPCO, or   Tokyo Electric Power Company,  has to say. On Monday the operator admitted that since May 2011, between twenty and forty trillion becquerels of radioactive material have poured into the Pacific Ocean. So much for the official line that the contaminated water was contained in the holding tanks under the plant.

It gets worse. There is a developing emergency situation at one of the reactors and it is spinning out of TEPCO's control: Japan's Nuclear Regulatory Authority has confirmed that radioactive material has breached a security barrier. In other words, TEPCO has lost control of the situation.

400 metric tonnes, every day, is being pumped into the reactor, radioactive water is getting into the sea, cancer-causing elements are leaking into the Pacific Ocean. But it gets worse still - the levels of radioactive materials is rising: levels of Caesium-134 rose by 90 times over the weekend and Caesium-137 rose by 86 times between Friday and Monday, according to TEPCO.

Quite how polluted the Pacific Ocean is and how far the contamination has spread is still a mystery. When people start dropping dead in California and Australia, we may find out.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/08/fukushima-pacific-ocean-poisoned-millions-at-risk-2732248.html
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013, 07:04 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #798 on: Aug 10, 2013, 07:16 »
  This originally came from Pravda (Truth) I'll let you be the judge. Best to be informed about the information that the nuclear naïve have read. I saw this picture on Facebook with the title of this article it did not take long to find the source.
Fukushima: Pacific Ocean poisoned, millions at risk!

How soon we forget:

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1986/Text-of-Pravda-Article-on-Chernobyl/id-ccd16da5af3412d86255ddad9d69340e

May. 6, 1986 11:39 AM ET

MOSCOW (AP) _ Here is the report by the English-language service of official news agency Tass on an article about the Chernobyl nuclear accident published in today's edition of the Communist Party newspaper Pravda:

.....Some Western news agencies and all kinds of 'radio voices,' Pravda went on to say, tried to cultivate panic, by speaking of the death of thousands of people, of a nuclear explosion, of a massive irradiation of almost the entire European part of the country and of neighboring countries.

Here such reports cause perplexion, to say the least: what can be more shameful than to gloat over the trouble that occurred?

Measures to ensure the safety of the population and to put what was happening under control were made very swiftly. The evacuation was conducted in a strict and organized fashion. Only four hours were needed to get people ready and evacuate them from the nuclear power station's settlement. They were taken to neighboring districts, assigned to housing facilities, arrangements were made to meet their everyday needs, retail trade and medical services to the evacuees was organized. Deputies to rural Soviets assign people to lodging. They also arrange for their children to attend school. The evacuees help local residents in their work.

When people in Kiev learned of the accident that occurred at Chernobyl, many came to their workplaces, although it was Saturday, to volunteer assistance. None of the Kiev drivers refused to take part in the evacuation of the population from the station's zone, although only volunteers were offered to go. Many physicians in Kiev reported to city hospitals and polyclinics to offer their personal assistance to those affected.

Despite the entire complexity of the situation that took shape after the accident at the 4th power generating unit order reigned all that time and reigns now in nuclear power station's settlement and nearby villages. It was maintained thanks to the population and teams of Komsomol (Young Communist League) members in the first place. Automobile traffic on roads was and is orderly and organized, Pravda said.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #799 on: Aug 15, 2013, 12:45 »
The operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is preparing to remove 400 tons of highly irradiated spent fuel from a damaged reactor building, a dangerous operation that has never been attempted before on this scale.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/14/us-japan-fukushima-insight-idUSBRE97D00M20130814

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?