Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex-Rad, Military's Radiation Wonder Drug
honeypot

Author Topic: Ex-Rad, Military's Radiation Wonder Drug  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Ex-Rad, Military's Radiation Wonder Drug
« on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:44 »
   From what I can see this is not intended for nor will it be needed for commercial use. It appears that this drug is intended for lethal doses of radiation and the only commercial reactor that has ever had exposures that high is Chernobyl. It would be nice to know that it was stockpiled (when approved) by local FEMA offices or National Guard.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/03/16/ex-rad-militarys-radiation-wonder-drug/

In what has to be one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of military medicine, the U. S. military has developed a radiation protection drug known as Ex-Rad that can give protection through DNA repair against otherwise lethal dosages of radiation. Ex-Rad, which is administered as an injection or orally, can be given either before or after exposure. While Ex-Rad officials are continuing to work with the FDA, it has successfully cleared two clinical studies showing it is safe.

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Ex-Rad, Military's Radiation Wonder Drug
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:18 »
I really thought this was media hype until I did some slight research on it. It appears to use stem cells to repair your dna that gets damaged... thats so wild!

Why have we not heard of it until now?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:23 »
I really thought this was media hype until I did some slight research on it. It appears to use stem cells to repair your dna that gets damaged... thats so wild!

Why have we not heard of it until now?

Because anything that tickles stem cells will increase chances of cancers. Might not yet be ready for prime-time.

Offline modex

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21 »
This guy is a public relations executive working for the pharmaceutical company which developed this drug.
It has not been tested to protect humans from radiation.

What says stem cells are involved? The pharma's website doesn't mention this.
The drug is meant to be administered prior to exposure. I don't see that being more effective or expedient than evacuation for the civilian population. Sounds like something naval propulsion commands or accident response teams should stock for emergencies, not FEMA.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:37 »
This guy is a public relations executive working for the pharmaceutical company which developed this drug.
It has not been tested to protect humans from radiation.

What says stem cells are involved? The pharma's website doesn't mention this.
The drug is meant to be administered prior to exposure. I don't see that being more effective or expedient than evacuation for the civilian population. Sounds like something naval propulsion commands or accident response teams should stock for emergencies, not FEMA.

Dude, do you ever bother to do any research before you post? 2 seconds of googling gave my the information I needed then, and it took me 2 seconds this time to find it again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19267542

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?