Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Off to Japan  

Author Topic: Off to Japan  (Read 38794 times)

HAIRDUDE

Re: Off to Japan
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2011, 01:30 »
-13 air? Big flippin' deal. Nothin' to worry about til you hit -8 and even then it's iffy. As for the "chasin' dollars" bit, going there isn't expected to be an altruistic feat. Leaving our respective families and loved ones behind to wade waist-deep into hell is worth whatever the market will bear. Should it be done purely for that reason? No. Of course not. But I would hope that those who choose to go to Japan and offer up whatever skills they have, in an effort to somehow make life just that little bit better for those who live there, aren't judged as mercenary. It isn't like all of our bills and responsibilities will evaporate in our collective absence.

And for those who DO choose to go ... Bear this in mind: Japan is cuurently post-apocolyptic for all intents of purpose. There are many dead yet to be recovered. The ravages of the earthquake and tsunami are everywhere across that region. Working the 20 kilometer check point may involve surveying body bags along with God knows what else. The infrastructure is still on the mend, so the "lush" life and surroundings we are accustomed to, may not exist there for the time being. It will more than likely make the toughest gig you've ever pulled state-side, look like a walk in the proverbial park. I've done my time up to my neck in excrament over these past 20-some-odd years swinging a meter, but I know my worst day would pale when held up next to any day swingin' a meter in Japan right about now.

I love what I do for a living. I love the muriade of characters I've worked for and with and over in this business over the years. And I know that what we do is highly specialized and NECESSARY. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It's times like these when we can be proud of what we have to offer in the way of helping make a genuine difference in the world.

Floyd

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2011, 05:38 »
Returned on Tuesday evening.  First of all I want to make it clear, though I may have done a lot of surveying, I wasn't there chasing dollars.  I went with a small team to assist a company in Japan with no nuclear experience.  To say the radiological conditions are challenging (from a US perspective) would be an understatement. Earthquake damage was quite apparent in the north and tremors (6.5 the highest) were also experienced.  The Japanese we interacted with were very nice and thankful we were there.  If you even consider working in Japan the following tidbits might be helpful, you have to pass a test to drive there or at least rent one.  It is used to see if you can read Japanese road sign (I can't). Not a lot of Japanese speak English or hide the fact that they do.  Living would not be close to the reactors.  Not a commute I would consider.
I'll post some more when I get caught up here.
LM

A couple of quick questions. The electricity. I understand it is 50 Hz. It would ruin a cell phone charger? Computer? And how easy is it to score pharmaceuticals? At my age I mean things like Lipitor etc.
No one gets out alive.

Sun Dog

« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2011, 05:53 »
-13 air? Big flippin' deal. Nothin' to worry about til you hit -8 and even then it's iffy. As for the "chasin' dollars" bit, going there isn't expected to be an altruistic feat. Leaving our respective families and loved ones behind to wade waist-deep into hell is worth whatever the market will bear. Should it be done purely for that reason? No. Of course not. But I would hope that those who choose to go to Japan and offer up whatever skills they have, in an effort to somehow make life just that little bit better for those who live there, aren't judged as mercenary. It isn't like all of our bills and responsibilities will evaporate in our collective absence.

And for those who DO choose to go ... Bear this in mind: Japan is cuurently post-apocolyptic for all intents of purpose. There are many dead yet to be recovered. The ravages of the earthquake and tsunami are everywhere across that region. Working the 20 kilometer check point may involve surveying body bags along with God knows what else. The infrastructure is still on the mend, so the "lush" life and surroundings we are accustomed to, may not exist there for the time being. It will more than likely make the toughest gig you've ever pulled state-side, look like a walk in the proverbial park. I've done my time up to my neck in excrament over these past 20-some-odd years swinging a meter, but I know my worst day would pale when held up next to any day swingin' a meter in Japan right about now.

I love what I do for a living. I love the muriade of characters I've worked for and with and over in this business over the years. And I know that what we do is highly specialized and NECESSARY. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It's times like these when we can be proud of what we have to offer in the way of helping make a genuine difference in the world.

Floyd

I really don't care to read that twice, so, on the off-chance there was something worth knowing embedded in that montage could you please provide a Reader's Digest version?

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2011, 08:30 »
Electricity is 50 hertz and I did not have a problem using the laptop or any other electrical device.  You do need an adapter due to all the wall receptacle not accepting the standard US plug.  Not sure about the pharmaceuticals though there are pharmacies in abundance at least in the larger cities I visited.
LM

Offline leroygm

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2011, 11:01 »
anyone hiring?? A 2o plus year Rad Tech??

studmeistersreveng

« Reply #30 on: Apr 04, 2011, 12:09 »
Denuke has immediate openings for Sr.Techs to go to Japan. 

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #31 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:16 »
Bear this in mind: Japan is cuurently post-apocolyptic for all intents of purpose. There are many dead yet to be recovered. The ravages of the earthquake and tsunami are everywhere across that region. ...The infrastructure is still on the mend, so the "lush" life and surroundings we are accustomed to, may not exist there for the time being.

Came across this clip of the tsunami shot from the street level.

The photographer has to keep moving up the stairs as the rushing ocean continues to rise and move everything by on up the hill and into the countryside.  Stick with this video.  Things get worse.

Puts perspective on the water part.

=c3rqPPJPwLg
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Melrose

« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:35 »
Mike R,
I wish there was a smiley putting a gun to his head....   :-\
Word of advise, if a company is sending you now or sooner than several months, I'd question their feeling about their workforce.
Consider, sanitation, lack of clean water, lack of commodities, lack of food, when the weather warms the inevitable sick that will ensue, due to insect, pest infestation, not to mention undiscovered bodies that will surely announce their presence once warmed up and decomposing plus least of all the expense IF you found a place to stay within 2.5 hours of the site, it just doesn't make for the trip that alot of folks I've talked to have set in their minds.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:28 »
I have heard that Bechtel, Shaw, and Entergy have contracts in place for support in Japan on the Daiichi site.

Melrose

« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2011, 12:27 »
C'mon Melrose, people are smart enough to consider those factors versus compensation without tossing it off at the feet of the contract company being questionable on their feelings towards their employees.

Agreed, I would hope for the same.
But, there has been occassion when the topic arises, that the ONLY thing in mind, is how much money is being paid.  During the discussion nothing is ever mentioned of the conditions that they're headed in to.  When I make mention, all I get is the 'deer in the headlight' look.
As far as companies not caring, if the question doesn't come to mind, IF companies start sending bucket loads of people over to 'help', at this time when conditions are such that they aren't conducive to hygienic habitation, then dollar signs are hindering reasonable thinking.

Is this the case?  I don't think so.  It appears to me the resumes are simply being requested in the event that a call is placed, when things are in order, then folks will be moving over.
Isn't the Gov and their military taking care of things right now?

thanks for the input
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 12:40 by Melrose »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #35 on: Apr 06, 2011, 12:54 »
And if you don't wanna go overseas:
http://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=14358

That's federal PD for the area, apartments within commuting distance for ~1000/mo, and they want juniors too -
good opportunity for summer work for somebody... ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #36 on: Apr 08, 2011, 02:51 »
So, have we heard the exposure totals on some of these so-called Japanese jumpers that are getting paid $3k-5k a day?

This was something I read in an article from MSNBC. Does anybody know someone who is divin in the Daaichi?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #37 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:53 »
So, have we heard the exposure totals on some of these so-called Japanese jumpers that are getting paid $3k-5k a day?

A dollar per millirem?
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 04:53 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #38 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:29 »
I heard from one of our staff scientists that the jumpers are getting $5k per day and dose per jump is just under 25R. Not bad for 1 day of work for a local, too bad it's only for 1 day. Of course, i'm sure there is some folks that are there for a week before they are burnt out, but that is probably a select few who have connections.

Offline cajunbaby84

• Light User
« Reply #39 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:43 »
Yes that would not really be worth a trip over there for just one day of work and be burned out for the year. 

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #40 on: Apr 09, 2011, 03:43 »
Reminds me of the Old Steam Generator days........

OK Buddy, you got three minutes and we'll see you next quarter!    ;)

RG

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #41 on: Apr 09, 2011, 05:38 »
Or catch them at the end of the quarter and tell them to come back tomorrow....for 3 more minutes.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011, 05:39 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #42 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:10 »
I believe I rather jump in the ocean and retrieve some of the money that is washing up on shore.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Apr 11, 2011, 05:41 »
I have been looking at the overseas tax break down for Japan. Please correct me if I error as this stuff is hard to figure sometimes.. If you are working in Japan for a US company (up to 6 months) Japan will tax you at a rate of 10-20%. You will not pay local Japanese tax or into their SS system. Your tax status changes after 6 months in Japan. You will still pay US taxes on this income, however you can use Japan's taxes as a credit, up to the full percentage you would pay in the US. Per diem does not have to be declared as long as it is within the guidelines. However if your employer pays for your hotel room in lieu of per diem, then you must declare the fair market value (FMV) as income and pay taxes on it.

You can get up to $90,000 tax free overseas, subject to the host nation's tax laws, if you stay there 1 year and establish residency, i.e. you must stay there 330 days out of 12 months. Now if you go to Japan in June and you plan on staying for more than a year, you will have to apply for a tax entension to qualify. You can get an extension for up to 30 days past your expected one year point.

Any overseas gurus?
No one gets out alive.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?