Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CFCC Nuclear Maintenance Tech Program

Author Topic: CFCC Nuclear Maintenance Tech Program  (Read 11017 times)

ncsailor

CFCC Nuclear Maintenance Tech Program
« on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:24 »
I understand Cape Fear CC has a Nuclear Maintenance Technician Program in which students pick between a Mechanical track or Electrical track.  Any advice or opinions on the pros/cons of each.  Thanks for any input....

vikingfan

Re: CFCC Nuclear Maintenance Tech Program
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:50 »
if you plan on doing this please smile while your bent over and grabbing your ankles for good measure !!

Offline WarpedFission

• Lurker
  • -Sittin on the dock of the bay...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:40 »
I am currently in this program. Until recently GE has made changes to CFCC's program to provide a more rounded outcome as a reactor service technician. Thus combining the mechanical and electrical option while eliminating a few classes and calling the new program Nuclear Technology. The maintenance part of the degree sounded too janitorial. If you need anymore info I will be available. 8) I don't exactly know what Viking is referring to, but this program has been great for upcoming techs. Also, yes you can still receive your degree without applying to granite. You just have to find a co-op for 160hrs.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011, 10:44 by WarpedFission »

vikingfan

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2011, 11:13 »
since i worked for GE previously i can give you some insight on this and how they treat their " KFC kids "

maverick77

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:33 »
I would like to understand more about the bend over and grab your ankles.  Are you saying that this is not a good way to get into the nuclear industry?  Are there better ways to go about it?  Maybe I misunderstood you statement. Could you elaborate?
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 11:33 by maverick77 »

vikingfan

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:26 »
sell your soul to the devil would be better. ok so when you are in this program they own you. they will have you in the office making copies, coffee etc when not at outages. your starting pay is about 11 and hr. you will spend more time at outages then you will working and the degree. you will be called KFC kids from the vets. bottom line you will be under paid and hated by most

Offline bahgheera

• Very Lite User
  • RST / VT / Camera Tech
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2012, 09:20 »
Ha ha, don't listen to vikingfan - it's not that bad. I don't know how it was back in the day - but us KFC kids are definitely not hated, except maybe by a few individuals who are just going to hate on *anyone* new. $11 / hr? That's only while you're in school - which they pay for. You get paid 40 hours a week just to go to school. And get an AAS degree. Then when you graduate, you're moved to RST pay which is $15 / hr, with a $1.50 / hr increase each year for your three year contract. Now, it's true that that is a low amount for an RST to get paid, but for someone (like me) who got laid off from an entire industry and needed to find a new career asap, that is a pretty awesome deal. I graduated in 2010 as an RST, and have already been trained as a camera tech AND a vessel tech. More quals = more jobs. This season started for me in the first week of February and won't end until the first week of may, with only one week off in between jobs, so my season is pretty full.

At any rate, if you can last through two years of school and three years of a work contract, this is a smart move. It's a fun job, and you just may get to see some interesting places (Taipei, Japan, Sweden, etc.)

There's my two cents.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?