Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Not a nuke going for STA-21  

Author Topic: Not a nuke going for STA-21  (Read 24887 times)

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Not a nuke going for STA-21
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2011, 03:02 »
Well, thank you for all the replies. Yes, I'm probably arrogant, I'm sorry.

Anyway, a couple notes:
-you don't have to go nice on me cause I'm a female.
-I'm uninterested on how my navy career will affect my civilian career afterwards. The job I intend to do after the navy will have little to do with the nuke or crypto field. My goal is just to make the most of my time in, however long that is.
-I'm not afraid of hard work

As for what it takes to be a nuke officer, I know there are other threads on here regarding that, many of which I have read. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how best to go about becoming one from my situation. For instance, when I choose my school and education route, would it be best/necessary to act as if I was in the nuke program?

And also for the STA-21 program you're expected to explain your field choice. Since I can't choose Nuke, anything else I choose I'm not particularly passionate about, so I'm afraid of coming off as unenthusiastic. So my question regarding that is, should I choose the CORE option, and explain my aspirations to go nuke? or choose a different field, (crypto, intel... etc) in order to have better chances of being picked up?

I'm not sure how it is at other schools, but at the Citadel, all NROTC students (STA-21 and Midn NROTC scholars) are required to take Calc I/II and Phys with Calc I/II to ensure that everyone meets the minimum requirements for Nuke. I don't know if this is a NROTC standard or just a school requirement, but I can look into it after we come back from spring break. That's the only literal requirement that I'm aware of, but pursuing a science or engineering degree can only serve to better your odds. We had a SWO STA-21 select find out that he was going SWO-Nuke, probably due in large part to his Engineering degree.

As far as the interview process goes, I would kind of keep your answers in the middle of the road, so to speak. If I were in your shoes, I would express your interest for being a Nuke O in order to show that you have goals and that you're up for a challenge while also mixing in a healthy amount of de facto Officer leadership answers. Doing so addresses the potential that you don't become a nuke but that you will still be motivated to succeed and it also prevents you from sounding arrogant as though being selected for nuke is a done deal.

But yea, being a nuke isn't math, that's not what you'd be getting in to at all. I know that its been pointed out to you already, but I wanted to make sure you heard from someone who was also trying to sound like a decent human being. You can, however, major in math as a STA-21 nuke, so I would imagine that it would aid you in your efforts towards getting selected. The 3 years of working on those critical thinking skills could serve you very well, despite the lack of a truly direct benefit.

Other things you can do to help yourself (assuming selection) is to serve in leadership roles in the battalion, maintain a high gpa, do well on PFA, etc. There is a point system in place to rank ROTC graduates based on performance values, and the better your score, the more likely you are to get your desired assignment.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2011, 12:59 »
I'm not sure how it is at other schools, but at the Citadel, all NROTC students (STA-21 and Midn NROTC scholars) are required to take Calc I/II and Phys with Calc I/II to ensure that everyone meets the minimum requirements for Nuke. I don't know if this is a NROTC standard or just a school requirement,

It is a NROTC requirement for all scholarship MIDN (ecept nurse options)  to take CALC I/II and calculus based physics I/II.  It has nothing to do with making one eligible for nuke (although it does do that).  We are a technical navy and need people who can do technical work.  The powers that be have determined that Calc I/II and Calculus based physics meets that wicket.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2011, 03:01 »
I think Elvis (the OP) has left the building.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 03, 2011, 09:43 »
It is a NROTC requirement for all scholarship MIDN (ecept nurse options)  to take CALC I/II and calculus based physics I/II.  It has nothing to do with making one eligible for nuke (although it does do that).  We are a technical navy and need people who can do technical work.  The powers that be have determined that Calc I/II and Calculus based physics meets that wicket.

Cheers,
GC

Interesting. I took at face value nuke eligibility rationale from the Middies on campus. Should have known better  ;)

agale

« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:35 »
So anyway, I got picked up. Thanks everyone for all the help... Now to figure out which college to go to... And we'll see if I pick up Nuke when I graduate.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:43 »
So anyway, I got picked up. Thanks everyone for all the help... Now to figure out which college to go to... And we'll see if I pick up Nuke when I graduate.

Congratulations,.... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2011, 08:53 »
UMass Lowell.
LM

LaFeet

« Reply #32 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:08 »
Congrats Agale....  just remember that the blue shirts can make or break you.  Thank you for your continued service and best of luck to you.

USN Submarine Service Nuke retired....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?