Career Path > Navy Nuke

Silly Question: Shooting

(1/8) > >>

GNowakowski:
So I've done a myriad of searches on this forum - hoping to find information on whether or not there is much opportunity for shooting while in the Navy.  So my silly question is does the Navy leave the door open for shooting? (Rifles hopefully?) Will we get to do any shooting at boot camp?  After boot camp (during pipeline?) will the option be open?

I know its a silly question set... I'm a NW Montana resident...I love shooting - and can't help but wonder.

Also, is there anywhere anybody can point me as far as rules of having your own guns?  Is that a no-no? (I see if your on the Navy Team its O.K...but if your not?)

http://www.usnst.org/  
Here they have a document NAVADMIN message (first link on top center of the page) and on pg. 2 it does state its open to all
commands.  It doesn't say much about how it can be applied for - it seems you would need your command to give the nod.

http://www.usnst.org/faq.htm
Again it says "all active duty" personnel.  However...I notice that Nuc's are often exceptions to the rules... lol

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/aanavybasic5.htm
It appears that in boot camp you get to shoot a 9mm and a shotgun... :)  ... I can't find any documentation showing that you EVER get to fire a rifle at boot camp...is that because you don't? :(

http://www.navysports.com/sports/c-rifle/navy-c-rifle-body.html
This site is a bit difficult to navigate - its hard to tell whether this is only open to academy students or all the Navy... Truly a
headache of a site (Although the most aesthetically pleasing site I've seen from the Navy yet)

So once again - I'm just not catching the information I'm looking for... I WNTZ 2 SHEWT STUFF!
Any response is appreciated,

-Glen

ADDED:   I thought I'd post this in this thread for later search strings.  (Now the word "shooting" will bring up pages...so no funny business!)

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/BCB24012-BC52-4E88-B20F-A509B1C744B7/0/NAV10196.txt
This is a new(ish) NAVADMIN about personal firearms.  Wish I'd have found this BEFORE my post :S

drayer54:

--- Quote from: GNowakowski on Apr 04, 2011, 03:32 ---So I've done a myriad of searches on this forum - hoping to find information on whether or not there is much opportunity for shooting while in the Navy.  So my silly question is does the Navy leave the door open for shooting? (Rifles hopefully?) Will we get to do any shooting at boot camp?  After boot camp (during pipeline?) will the option be open?

rifle at boot camp...is that because you don't? :(

-Glen
--- End quote ---
Glen, I think you are going to be insanely disappointed by the incredibly little amount of shooting you will be doing. If you are doing shooting then something will have gone terribly wrong.....

1) You will be a nuke, nukes don't shoot stuff.... Ever..... In the pipeline you will have your butt in a chair and a pen in your hand. No guns. Ink pens and pieces of chalk. Arm yourself sailor!.
2) Boot Camp shooting is kind of a joke too... You will learn to hold a gun in a tightly monitored environment and shoot a target like 10 times and then you are done. No joke. Unless you take all headshots like I did and then they will have you load magazines for hours on end (I liked it because I got to watch TV during that time) and then you get to shoot 10 more times. In and out. This will be a good chance for you to learn early how annoying topsiders are when they act cool giving you the gun explanation because they have a job that involves carrying them.  :stupidme: :stupidme:

3) You will have to drive through some really rough areas that are  even sometimes blacklisted to get to work while not being allowed to keep a gun in your car, makes sense right? Gun ownership will be up to local and state laws, unless you live in housing or in a BEQ, then no guns for you unless they are stored in the armory.
4) There isn't much to hunt that you are used to in SC (the deer look like puppies), but if you go to New York for prototype in the winter months then you can catch Deer season like I did. They had some good hunting up there, but no handguns. Blue states tend to have dumb gun laws.
If bad things do happen you can always repel borders with your mighty ax handle of bravery!

I think you will be pretty disappointed in the shooting opportunities...... good luck to you though!

spekkio:
As a nuke, you will do very little shooting. Despite the fact that we routinely get hit for watchstanders not maintaining small arms qual proficiency, the Eng manages to big dick the Weps and nukes end up at the FIDE/eng dept training/drills rather than gun shoots.

GNowakowski:
I don't carry - nor care much about handguns.

I shoot with the NW 1000 yd. club here in NW MT.  I shoot a .300 WSM Krieger style barrel and a modified M70 action.
I REALLY enjoy reloading.  I hand reload of course, and used to turn my own bullets; and moved on to
forging BTSP's in lead... Maybe someday I'll mess around with electroplating some forges (now I buy higher BC Hornady's).
As far as hunting goes - I doubt I'll shoot any deer bigger then the ones I've already shot here.

Thanks for the info though guys.  I very much appreciate, all of your responses.

-Glen

Cycoticpenguin:
Glen, are you bored man? Lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version