Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Any Input?  

Author Topic: Any Input?  (Read 22221 times)

art021

Any Input?
« on: Apr 04, 2011, 04:33 »
I'm currently at the end of my first year at Bismarck State College (online) for the AAS is Nuclear Power Technology.  I currently work as an armed guard at Beaver Valley Power Station in Shippingport, PA.

I want to get my feet wet in the industry as soon as possible.  I wasn't sure what companies were good with hiring students.  I wouldn't care if it was another nuclear power plant, or a contracting company.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The classes I have taken are:

Overview Of Nuclear Energy
Nuclear mathematics
Classical Physics
Engineering drawings, diagrams, and schematics
Electrical Science
Nuclear Plant Chemistry
Nuclear physics
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011, 07:41 by art021 »

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Any Input?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:24 »
SEARCH FUNCTION IS NOT A MYTH! IT EXISTS! :)

art021

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2011, 01:43 »
I've come across a million possibilities, but not sure which direction to take.  There are a lot of contracting companies, but I know their workers tend to travel from outage to outage.  Is it better to try and apply directly to a nuke plant?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2011, 02:44 »
I've come across a million possibilities, but not sure which direction to take.  There are a lot of contracting companies, but I know their workers tend to travel from outage to outage.  Is it better to try and apply directly to a nuke plant?

You already work at a plant. Go talk to the ops manager....

art021

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:00 »
My father is an SRO there and he said FENOC won't even consider me until I have the degree in my hand.  Besides the standard POSS test, they have a difficult math test on top of that with a 10% pass rate.  I know some students in my online classes already accepted into ops training at other plants while still in school.  FENOC is not a company that does this.

That is also the funny thing.  Working security at Beaver valley has opened my eyes to the technical/engineering side of the field, but I'm not sure if staying there is my top choice.

I know with still being in school the choices are limited, but I would think there are companies out there that would hire someone in school.  I talked to one classmate in TN that works for a local contracting company now in his area.  With each class we complete they open u new opportunities for him.  Problem is I'm in PA.  Not TN.

More than anything I guess I just wanted info/advice on the various companies and possibilities that exist out there for me as a student.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011, 04:03 by art021 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:06 »
You may want to look Exelon's way...

art021

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:52 »
Thanks Justin!  Excelon is actually a good company.  They are affiliated with the program I am taking.

Here is an email I received from my school:

Bismarck State College’s Nuclear Power Technology program was accepted earlier this year as the first online program approved by the Nuclear Uniform Curriculum Program (NUCP) for the non-licensed operator track. Students completing the associate degree in Nuclear Power will receive a nuclear industry standard certificate and can substitute education for training at a nuclear facility.

The NUCP ensures the workforce is trained and in place at the right time by organizing industry partnerships with two-year colleges. NUCP is managed by the Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI), which approved BSC as a Non-Licensed Operator program.

As part of the NUCP process, BSC was required to obtain a Primary Utility Partner for the nuclear program. The college affiliated with Exelon Corp., the largest owner/operator of nuclear plants in the United States. Without a Primary Utility Partner, students could not receive a nuclear industry standard certificate.

art021

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:57 »
If anyone has any info or has worked for Excelon please let me know.  It's always good to make contacts

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:10 »
I worked at Exelon...

art021

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2011, 08:26 »
Good?  Bad?  Easy to get into?  What location were you at Justin?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2011, 08:53 »
I was an SRO at Peach Bottom.

It wasn't really better or worse than where I currently work... per se.

I am not sure how easy/hard it would be for you to get in... but Exelon does seem to be more willing to hire people that others will not. For example, enlisted EWS's and ROs for instant SRO and non-navy nuke/degreed people for NLO.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2011, 09:12 »
I was an SRO at Peach Bottom.

It wasn't really better or worse than where I currently work... per se.

I am not sure how easy/hard it would be for you to get in... but Exelon does seem to be more willing to hire people that others will not. For example, enlisted EWS's and ROs for instant SRO and non-navy nuke/degreed people for NLO.

HRRRRMMPH!!! 

art021

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2011, 09:34 »
Thanks again Justin.  I'll even try and get a contact through Bismarck State College since they are affiliated.

Charlie, please elaborate.  Do you not like Excelon?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:52 »
I used to be in good contact with a recruiter there, but I think he has moved on to another position. I will see if he is still a good contact though... if so, I will pass it on.

Justin

PS Ignore CMs grunt. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011, 10:53 by JustinHEMI »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:07 »
Charlie, please elaborate.  Do you not like Excelon?

PS Ignore CMs grunt. ;)

:-> My read is he's not sure he even likes himself!  He just has to comment on anything anyone says!   [dowave]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:24 »
:-> My read is he's not sure he even likes himself!  He just has to comment on anything anyone says!   [dowave]

He's #15 of all time Nukeworker posts! And growing!  8)

art021

« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2011, 06:51 »
Hahaha understood.  Thanks guys!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2011, 07:20 »
HEY! SHUDDUP!

Art -> I applied at several hiring excelon plants and never heard back. I work at entergy, a much better company ;) As justin says, ignore my post ;)

HP->  :old:  [jerry] [Flamer] [spank] :old: :old:

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2011, 07:45 »
PEOPLE! IT IS EXELON! E-X-E-L-O-N

NO C

Learn to spell the company you may want to work for one day.  8)

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:14 »
PEOPLE! IT IS EXELON! E-X-E-L-O-N

NO C

Learn to spell the company you may want to work for one day.  8)

Justin

EXELLENT! This is such an EXITING topic!   Im sorry I followed the rules of the english language good sir ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:27 »
You're pronouncing it wrong if you pronounce it with a C.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:33 »
You're pronouncing it wrong if you pronounce it with a C.

ex - ell- on

which is great, exept you pronounce the "c" in these words.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:56 »
Ex-a-lon.

Get a clue.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:03 »
Ex-a-lon.

Get a clue.

EXELLENT POINT! EXACTLY (crap...) what im lookin at ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

"x" phonetically is "css" or "kss"
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 09:05 by Charlie Murphy »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:07 »
Either way, you're a stupid nub and should be studying. Regardless of how you think it is pronounced, it is spelled Exelon. So, you're wrong.

Know your role and shut your hole.

;) ;D :P <3
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 09:08 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:21 »
AYE AYE PETTY OFFICER!

drayer54

« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:31 »

This is how I feel when you two argue over such frivolous things.
Next we can debate route vs route and tomato pronunciations.....

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:40 »

This is how I feel when you two argue over such frivolous things.
Next we can debate route vs route and tomato pronunciations.....

go plan money schemes with your new found boyfriend :)

art021

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:22 »
hahaha wow...this is entertaining if not anything else.  I love the nuke industry already!

I have to admit, I spelled it wrong myself.  FENOC has been all I've known for the past 5 years.  Sorry for the typo.

I have heard Entergy(hopefully spelled correctly) is a good company as well.  I guess it just depends what site you want to apply at. 

Like I've said before, I'm married with no kids so moving would be no problem if the job is right.

I would just like to get first hand opinions and insight to the options that are available.

I already know enough about FENOC, and although it's the closest option, i'm not sure it's my first choice.  Security isn't "in-house" so I can't bid into an ops job.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2011, 02:53 »
hahaha wow...this is entertaining if not anything else.  I love the nuke industry already!

I have to admit, I spelled it wrong myself.  FENOC has been all I've known for the past 5 years.  Sorry for the typo.

I have heard Entergy(hopefully spelled correctly) is a good company as well.  I guess it just depends what site you want to apply at. 

Like I've said before, I'm married with no kids so moving would be no problem if the job is right.

I would just like to get first hand opinions and insight to the options that are available.

I already know enough about FENOC, and although it's the closest option, i'm not sure it's my first choice.  Security isn't "in-house" so I can't bid into an ops job.

Entergy likes to call people back in my experience ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2011, 03:59 »
Exelon will pay more.

Fermi2

« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2011, 04:58 »
If you've never worked at Exelon you have no business commenting on what type of company it is to work for. IIRC Charlie commented on TVA without working for them either.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2011, 05:58 »
If you've never worked at Exelon you have no business commenting on what type of company it is to work for. IIRC Charlie commented on TVA without working for them either.

Mike- Good to see you back after three weeks.  I imagine this whole Japan mess must have been humbling for you and that you are ready to apologize for the way you talked-down and disrepected others opinion's.  Par for the course though, right?  As usual though, you did manage to make a good point in this thread. 

Chucky- Describing plants and or companies that you've never worked for based on heresay alone is sad.  As others have said previously... you're in the big leagues now:

1.  Don't comment unless you KNOW what you're talking about.
2.  Keep your mouth shut unless you have something useful to add.
3.  Never forget, you're still a nub.

TS- All companies will have the good and the bad- pay, managers, co-workers, work-load, benefits, location, etc etc.  You must find that balance which is acceptable to you and run with it. 

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2011, 06:27 »
Chucky- Describing plants and or companies that you've never worked for based on heresay alone is sad.  As others have said previously... you're in the big leagues now:

100 quatloos against CM taking any of that advice.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2011, 06:46 »
Mike- Good to see you back after three weeks.  I imagine this whole Japan mess must have been humbling for you and that you are ready to apologize for the way you talked-down and disrepected others opinion's.  Par for the course though, right?  As usual though, you did manage to make a good point in this thread. 

TS- All companies will have the good and the bad- pay, managers, co-workers, work-load, benefits, location, etc etc.  You must find that balance which is acceptable to you and run with it. 

I don't apologize when I am correct, which I was in that thread. It's a big boy industry, people should expect to get bruised. My shoulder was giving me problems so rather than sit by a computer in an uncomfortable position I did the right thing and concentrated on my health. You'll never see me with fake humility.

As for the other I agree. I like Charlie, we exchange nice PMs at times but his entire nuclear experience in the bigs is as an unqualified trainee at one facility owned by one company. He shouldn't be addressing working conditions at other facilities or companies.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #35 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:06 »
Thats funny, I dont recall ever mentioning anything about the working conditions or style of the company at exelon or TVA.  My comment on TVA was "my instructors here say bad things about TVA". Period, thats it.

since some of you dont understand my sarcasm, lets break it down.

1.  Don't comment unless you KNOW what you're talking about.

If you read, I merely said that I applied to several exelon plants and never heard back. No where did I, or have I, ever said anything negative about exelon other then that simple FACT.

2.  Keep your mouth shut unless you have something useful to add.

Poignant advice, you should apply it for yourself as well.

Date Registered:    Today at 17:49

Last Active:    Today at 19:59
Mike- Good to see you back after three weeks.  

at least I had the balls enough to eat my negative karma and work my way back.

3.  Never forget, you're still a nub.

Roger that. This excuse will be short lived and unfounded in due time.

RDT -> I owe you some quatloos...

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 08:10 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #36 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:43 »

:->
Thats funny, I dont recall ever mentioning anything about the working conditions or style of the company at exelon or TVA.  Since some of you dont understand my sarcasm, lets break it down.

JMO:  Pull up all of your posts and see what you said, don't just rely on your recollection.  And remember those trree points.   [dowave]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #37 on: Apr 06, 2011, 08:52 »
:->
JMO:  Pull up all of your posts and see what you said, don't just rely on your recollection.  And remember those trree points.   [dowave]

pretty much have a photographic memory, but here you go, and only because i respect you enough to care what you think.

Entergy likes to call people back in my experience ;)

HEY! SHUDDUP!
Art -> I applied at several hiring excelon plants and never heard back. I work at entergy, a much better company ;) As justin says, ignore my post ;)
at most, this post should be seen for its sarcasm, with the liberal usage of 'winks' and 'hey shuddup!"

....It all sends a good message to contractors thinking they can get away with stuff. So, kudos for TVA.

In response to TVA:

People at work
were saying terrible things about them. Do your homework! Goodluck though.

Saying terrible things about TVA? Why? And what would their basis be for making any type of judgment about TVA? I get angry at TVA and some of the stuff we do makes me roll my eyes but all things considered it's a hell of a good company to work for.

I have zero basis to decipher or understand why yet. This was coming from guys with 20+ years in the biz.

That is probably just the standard nuke grumbling.

theres a lot of ASSuming in this thread....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:08 »
pretty much have a photographic memory, but here you go, and only because i respect you enough to care what you think.

at most, this post should be seen for its sarcasm, with the liberal usage of 'winks' and 'hey shuddup!"

In response to TVA:

theres a lot of ASSuming in this thread....

The input sought in this thread was how a guy attending BSC with no ops experience gets hired, not the "daily affirmation" for Charlie the Tuna.

Let's put our heads together, "be excellent to one another", and see what we can find for this guy!
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 09:10 by HydroDave63 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #39 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:10 »
The input sought in this thread was how a guy at BSC with no experience gets hired, not the "daily affirmation" for Charlie the Tuna.

People pointlessly call me out, Im going to respond dave, especially when they are wrong. Sorry?

but back on subject is a good thing, so lets let this go shall we? ;)

MacGyver

« Reply #40 on: Apr 07, 2011, 12:43 »
The input sought in this thread was how a guy attending BSC with no ops experience gets hired, not the "daily affirmation" for Charlie the Tuna.

Let's put our heads together, "be excellent to one another", and see what we can find for this guy!

You mean this guy?

;) :P :o :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?