Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I Went to MEPS: Here's What Happened

Author Topic: I Went to MEPS: Here's What Happened  (Read 13728 times)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
I Went to MEPS: Here's What Happened
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:49 »
I made an 80 on my practice test at the recruiter's office and a 94 on the real thing, but my nuke line score was only 248. I talked to the nuke officer guy since the enlisted nuke guys had already gone home and he said the line score doesn't matter and a 94 would qualify me. I've never heard that before and I was wondering if any of you had heard anything like it.

I also have to get a waiver for my glasses prescription. Apparently, it's just over the limit. I wrote an awesome essay talking about losing 60 lbs and making a 94, so I think the odds are good. What do you think?

I'm trying to contain my excitement because of the waiver; it's difficult. :P

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
Re: I Went to MEPS: Here's What Happened
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:56 »
Awesome to hear you're probably going to qualify - I know there's an AFQT auto-qual percentile but I don't know what that is (at least that's what I heard from my recruiters, that there is an auto-qual AFQT mark)

And I know how you feel to have lost so much weight because you had a goal in mind - I personally went from ~280 (just north of, if I remember correct) to <216 (and I'm now sitting at 200) because I decided I wanted to go Navy nuke :)

Congrats! Best of luck :)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:23 »
This one has been asked and answered so many times it needs to be it's own forum;

An FAQ section?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:33 »
A separate Navy tab? ;)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:37 »
This one has been asked and answered so many times it needs to be it's own forum;
Sorry Marssim, but I don't see how that answers my question. I was talking about the Navy guy just asking for my AFQT score and saying I qualified based on that.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:27 »
Honestly, I don't think there's an auto-qualify score, because the guy I talked to said I'd still have to take the NAPT and pass it, which is what I'd need to do if they went by the line score I made, which was 248.

I know! Four freaking points. That's, like, 1 question!  :'(

I just thought it was weird that he told me they weren't using the line scores anymore. I learned all sorts of new things down at MEPS. heh  8)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:23 »
I made an 80 on my practice test at the recruiter's office and a 94 on the real thing, but my nuke line score was only 248. I talked to the nuke officer guy since the enlisted nuke guys had already gone home and he said the line score doesn't matter and a 94 would qualify me. I've never heard that before and I was wondering if any of you had heard anything like it.

I also have to get a waiver for my glasses prescription. Apparently, it's just over the limit. I wrote an awesome essay talking about losing 60 lbs and making a 94, so I think the odds are good. What do you think?

I'm trying to contain my excitement because of the waiver; it's difficult. :P

You will be fine. I've had every medical problem possible and still made it in , including vision waivers. is it still 20/400?

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:31 »
I am fairly sure that the auto-qualify score is a 252 line score. So if you get below a 252 line score you have to take the NAPT and score however many points you were off from 290 with the minimum score being a 50 (so if you scored a 251 and you only need 39 on the NAPT you still would need to score a 50). So if you got a 237 line score you would need a 53 on the NAPT to make the [290 line score + NAPT score].

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011, 02:37 by Fadge »

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:38 »
I am fairly sure that the auto-qualify score is a 252 line score. So if you get below a 252 line score you have to take the NAPT and score however many points you were off from 290 with the minimum score being a 50 (so if you scored a 251 and you only need 39 on the NAPT you still would need to score a 50). So if you got a 237 line score you would need a 53 on the NAPT to make the [290 line score + NAPT score].

Hope this helps!

Very true with a couple recent changes.

AUTO-QUAL (Alpha) is 252 or higher on NUC or EL composite line scores.

Your overall score means nothing...Ive seen someone with an 82 that was an auto-qual and a 95 that wasn't.

If you don't auto-qual then you have to take the NAPT...the new minimum is a 55, and the new NUC and EL minimums are a 235.

So for the original poster, you will need to score a 55 on your NAPT.  Don't worry about the waiver either.  It should be OK.  Might take some time to get the approval back but you should be good as long as you aren't colorblind.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:07 »
Update: The waiver for my vision was approved!  [dowave]
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 12:10 by Styrofoam »

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:04 »
For the record, there is a waiver for colorblind as well. I personally know of one such sailor who is in the pipeline with that exact waiver.

Congratulations on getting your waiver, now go do well on the NAPT!

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:13 »
For the record, there is a waiver for colorblind as well. I personally know of one such sailor who is in the pipeline with that exact waiver.

I'd love to know the details on that waiver.  The CRUITMAN specifically says that if he is diagnosed colorblind...he is not qualified for nuke.
Now he may have gone to a doctor and gotten his "colorblindness" overturned...therefore no waiver required...but there is no waiver for colorblindness.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:31 »

Me too.

I'd love to know the details on that waiver.  The CRUITMAN specifically says that if he is diagnosed colorblind...he is not qualified for nuke.
Now he may have gone to a doctor and gotten his "colorblindness" overturned...therefore no waiver required...but there is no waiver for colorblindness.
I am color blind. I got a waiver for "color deficiency" since I can see red.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 11:31 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:40 »
Me too.
I am color blind. I got a waiver for "color deficiency" since I can see red.

Exactly, Color deficient is waiverable....a diagnosis of "Colorblind"....is an automatic disqualifier...Sorry for the [DH].....I just dont want there to be any confusion by someone reading this later on.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:41 »
Exactly, Color deficient is waiverable....a diagnosis of "Colorblind"....is an automatic disqualifier...Sorry for the [DH].....I just dont want there to be any confusion by someone reading this later on.

lol "colorblind" is subjective to the doctors at meps ;)

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:40 »
Very true with a couple recent changes.

AUTO-QUAL (Alpha) is 252 or higher on NUC or EL composite line scores.

Your overall score means nothing...Ive seen someone with an 82 that was an auto-qual and a 95 that wasn't.

If you don't auto-qual then you have to take the NAPT...the new minimum is a 55, and the new NUC and EL minimums are a 235.

So for the original poster, you will need to score a 55 on your NAPT.  Don't worry about the waiver either.  It should be OK.  Might take some time to get the approval back but you should be good as long as you aren't colorblind.

I scored an 81 on the ASVAB but almost auto-qual for NUC....I was around 5 points if I can remember correctly.  So all in all, it is about line score. I took the NAPT and scored a 72. When I sat down (just prior to the NAPT) and told the nuclear director of our zone exactly the score I needed to make nuke...He commented "Yeah...You're not suppose to know any of this..." Even though that this information is out there on the web, and isn't restricted.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2011, 09:14 »
So what I didn't tell you is while I was waiting for my nuke waivers to be approved, I signed a contract for AECF. Today, it officially was changed to nuke! :) Yay!

For a timeline, I signed AECF on January 24, signed nuke April 1, and leave December 5. :)

It seems like this happens pretty often with nuke contracts these days. I've met many people who have done it. Just thought I'd let everybody know and now I'll go hide from the inevitable onslaught. ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011, 09:15 by Styrofoam »

Offline GNowakowski

• Light User
  • Northwestern MT
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2011, 11:32 »
Congrats, good day for you.  Wish you the very best.
To answer the 252 questions - the answer is "Yes"  it's 252.
Also a yes to auto-qual.  I auto-qualed NUC on line scores.

-Glen
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2011, 03:14 by GNowakowski »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?