Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu new navy nuke  

Author Topic: new navy nuke  (Read 10194 times)

prospect

new navy nuke
« on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:22 »
Seeing as I've read almost all threads in this forum regarding what life would be like in the Navy as a nuke. I just wanted to recap and verify some information and decide whether it would be the correct future for me.

From what I've read:

Life as a navy nuke for schooling will be rigorous, mentally straining and stressful. It will occur is three parts School for ET,EM,MM (from my inferences this is a breeze). Followed by NNPS which is a lot harder and theoretical. Then prototype which is hands on and similar to hell minus the devil and add the instructors.

After schooling one would be stationed on a SSN, SSBN, or Carrier.
-Generally hated by all non-nukes.
-Bubble-head life, again from what i heard will be hard work multiplied by two for the first year while getting qualified to stand watch. (lol, "don't you have qualifications to do NUB"). After the first year, or however long one typically takes to become qualified for senior watch, it will just be normal hard work doing others work plus your own work and will overall suck the entire time.
-As for Carrier life I haven't heard much of, (perhaps they're still enlisted?).

When in port nukes typically perform maintenance and never leave ship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this all a nuke has to look forward to? I want to hear the fun side and what people enjoyed most of nuke life.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 08:24 by prospect »

JustinHEMI05

Re: new navy nuke
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:33 »
There is no fun in nuclear power, it is against the EDM. But we don't do it for fun anyway, we do it for glory... and there is plenty of that to go around!

Good luck, thank you for your service and keep us posted!

Justin

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:33 »
Seeing as I've read almost all threads in this forum regarding what life would be like in the Navy as a nuke. I just wanted to recap and verify some information and decide whether it would be the correct future for me. From what I've read:Life as a navy nuke for schooling will be rigorous, mentally straining and stressful. It will occur is three parts School for ET,EM,MM (from my inferences this is a breeze). Followed by NNPS which is a lot harder and theoretical. Then prototype which is hands on and similar to hell minus the devil and add the instructors.After schooling one would be stationed on a SSN, SSBN, or Carrier.-Generally hated by all non-nukes.-Bubble-head life, again from what i heard will be hard work multiplied by two for the first year while getting qualified to stand watch. (lol, "don't you have qualifications to do NUB"). After the first year, or however long one typically takes to become qualified for senior watch, it will just be normal hard work doing others work plus your own work and will overall suck the entire time.-As for Carrier life I haven't heard much of, (perhaps they're still enlisted?).When in port nukes typically perform maintenance and never leave ship.Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this all a nuke has to look forward to? I want to hear the fun side and what people enjoyed most of nuke life.
Well there is a ton of threads already addressing this one, but let’s see.
Yes, the pipeline is long and rigorous, but like everything it is what you make of it. It can be stressful, but it can be fun too.
You got the schooling down pretty pat there Amigo, not too tough to figure out.
Yes, Nukes are typically hated by non nukes, which is ok because the feelings are typically mutual.
Yes, you will be a nub and do some things that suck, ask Charlie Murphy about that one, he is our resident system expert on nub activities. Carrier has it’s pros and cons in comparison to subs, but everyone has their own opinion. Don’t plan on having much time off or all that good stuff.
As for the fun stuff, I can email you a thousand ridiculous port call pictures of fun stuff (most not appropriate for here)…   The fun is with the people you are with and what you make of the situations.
There are good days and bad days, but what you have to look forward to is valuable training and a unique experience. It could set you up for a bright future.

Good luck to you,
Derek
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 08:38 by drayer54 »

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:34 »
There is no fun in nuclear power, it is against the EDM. But we don't do it for fun anyway, we do it for glory... and there is plenty of that to go around!

Good luck, thank you for your service and keep us posted!

Justin
I don't know that the EDM specifically prohibits fun, I think it's just not promoted or encouraged. That is why when we had fun, we were usually told to cut it out.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2011, 12:29 »
All posts and statements can be boiled down to one simple phrase: "the navy is what you make of it"

.... im going to leave it at that.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2011, 01:31 »
All posts and statements can be boiled down to one simple phrase: "the navy is what you make of it"

That's cheating, though. You could say that about any life experience.

shocker

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:58 »
Cheating or ultimate truth? :-)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2011, 05:59 »
Cheating or ultimate truth? :-)

Go back and read the rest of the post, then try again.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:37 »
Well if it was fun our rating wouldn't be in such high demand, and usually most things that are worth doing in life aren't easy, so welcome aboard! ;)
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2011, 12:24 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this all a nuke has to look forward to? I want to hear the fun side and what people enjoyed most of nuke life.

I enjoyed two things in the Navy as a Nuke Submariner:
1. Swim Calls
2. Getting out

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2011, 06:51 »
I enjoyed two things in the Navy as a Nuke Submariner:
1. Swim Calls
2. Getting out

Last week myself another sub sailor from the 70s and a 98 year old WWII sub sailor were interviewed on a local radio program. We talked a little about swim calls and the host asked Charlie if he had swim calls during WWII, he said no but the Japanese did and they sank a couple of them.  ;)

[salute] [salute]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2011, 09:02 »
Last week myself another sub sailor from the 70s and a 98 year old WWII sub sailor were interviewed on a local radio program. We talked a little about swim calls and the host asked Charlie if he had swim calls during WWII, he said no but the Japanese did and they sank a couple of them.  ;)

[salute] [salute]

Good thing the interviewer didn't stumble upon the role of the M-14 sniper on the sail ;)

shocker

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2011, 01:21 »
Go back and read the rest of the post, then try again.

Reread the post.  Didn't miss anything.  My statement still applies.

Life is what you make of it.  Focus on the negatives, and your life will suck.  Roll with the punches and take advantage of (or create your own) opportunities and life will be much better.  While I can't apply that to nuke life yet, it seems to be working pretty well for me so far with NUB life :-)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2011, 02:03 »
Reread the post.  Didn't miss anything.  My statement still applies.

Life is what you make of it.  Focus on the negatives, and your life will suck.  Roll with the punches and take advantage of (or create your own) opportunities and life will be much better.  While I can't apply that to nuke life yet, it seems to be working pretty well for me so far with NUB life :-)

Or, as Abraham Lincoln said, "People are going to be pretty much as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Smart guy.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:27 »

[salute] [salute]

Glad he is still around.  I loved the WWII SubVet yearly get together years ago.  It was sad though because every year from about 1990 on (til 1996 when I stopped attending) we would see less and less of them.  We knew them by name and their boats on the vests they wore.  They all seemed to keep in touch with one another between get together's.  But they really enjoyed seeing ole time friends in person.  They are (or were, depending) a great group of vets.

My hats off to you all Marlin for the SubVet group you all run and participate therein.

And, for the record I don't think a swim call in WWII would be anything other than a quick repair for a couple of sub'vol's.  I do mean quick.

[salute]

IPREGEN

« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2011, 08:16 »
Your idea of fun will be expanded, piling into EOS for "counter", a little silver nitrate and ammonia mixed together and left to dry is always entertaining, rimming the somebody's cup is thoroughly disgusting but it happens, bilge wine made from bug juice, spraying people with cold water while on the midwatch is fun, so are the firefighting drills on the fantail. rescuing or being rescued from that "special, she's different" overseas girl is a good story. Writing these things almost makes me want to reinlist

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:12 »
  I loved the WWII SubVet yearly get together years ago.  It was sad though because every year from about 1990 on (til 1996 when I stopped attending) we would see less and less of them.  We knew them by name and their boats on the vests they wore.  They all seemed to keep in touch with one another between get together's.  But they really enjoyed seeing ole time friends in person.  They are (or were, depending) a great group of vets.

I have been to several funerals over the last year. We have three WWII sub vets in our chapter, all three are amazing men. One was still wearing his old uniform in Color Guards for funerals until just recently. The youngest of them insists on walking when we march in parades and even helps carry our banner. I feel privileged to be associated with them.

[salute] [salute] [salute] [salute]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?