Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu prototype... filter or pump?  

Author Topic: prototype... filter or pump?  (Read 63861 times)

Offline wdp74gnt

• Very Lite User
prototype... filter or pump?
« on: Apr 07, 2011, 09:07 »
So I am in my fourth week of prototype... So far it isn't that bad. I am ahead of the curve and just focusing on checkouts instead of B.S.ing with other people. My question is what is the attrition rate once one is in prototype? Also are they just pushing in training nukes through now? Also what advice can you give me on my prime. I am an upper level (mechanic). I am supposed go onto on crew in 3 weeks.

JustinHEMI05

Re: prototype... filter or pump?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2011, 09:19 »
My question is what is the attrition rate once one is in prototype? Also are they just pushing in training nukes through now?

[jerry]

Also what advice can you give me on my prime. I am an upper level (mechanic). I am supposed go onto on crew in 3 weeks.

If you haven't already, start walking down the logs and systems in your space. Then, walk down your most frequently used procedures such as start up and shut down. Be able to move through them efficiently and without error BEFORE you actually have to perform them.

Thank you for your service and good luck!

Justin
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011, 09:20 by JustinHEMI »

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2011, 10:31 »
For my class it was a filter. We lost several due to academics in prototype. Of the 8 mechanics on my crew during prototype, I was the only one to finish my enlistment. We had sad kids, medical issues, 3 deserters, and ole me. I think I finished in the lower half there too due to my slide through mentality that was wrecked when I met the test. My advice is to not do what I did: figure out how to get signatures really easily without knowing a thing and then getting way ahead and assuming that it meant I knew something. The first test I took bumped me back to my place real quick...... Have fun though!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2011, 10:46 »
Mine was a filter as well. Not academically but for the absolute whack job loonies that dont come out until 3rd night on swing shift.

That said, you;'re ahead of the curve, and seem to be doing fine, why do you care??? 

that said, I was an upper level prime :). What prototype are you at? you can start by following the instructor standing the watch around as an observer a few times (more then your book requires would be a good start). Dont be afraid to talk, they should be willing to talk and help. You would do well to learn how the TG starts up! Start learning your main steam drawing, down pat. Get that MEMORIZED asap. Ask instructors to go over it with you, its extremely vital as that system will be your bread and butter.

good luck!  Your ahead of the curve now, thats the best place to be, I promise :). If you start slipping, get your butt in the plant and get check outs there if you arent already. Dont be afraid to hit up those watch supervisors, most of them can sign most of your book!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2011, 10:56 »
that said, I was an upper level prime :).

Isn't that what they call the 8 dollar seats at the top of Dodger Stadium? ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2011, 10:59 »
Isn't that what they call the 8 dollar seats at the top of Dodger Stadium? ;)

This is the best you got? I would expect nothing less then a transformers reference at worst ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:24 »
My question is what is the attrition rate once one is in prototype? Also are they just pushing in training nukes through now?

"Needs of the Navy" is the Key phrase here, the attrition rate can change from year to year.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2011, 10:32 »
"Needs of the Navy" is the Key phrase here, the attrition rate can change from year to year.

I wasnt an instructor, but I have hard time believing them getting briefed before a class up

"ok guys, we only need XXXX nukes this year, so we need to fail out XX of them out of this class. Get ir done!"

My class had the 3rd highest gpa to go through power school. The class ahead of us came darn close to setting a record low. I had a 3.33 in powerschool and was bottom half :( for reference. Id be willing to bet the quality of recruiting may change? i.e. scraping the dregs to get nukes in. If that was your point, then I apologize.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2011, 10:40 »
I wasnt an instructor, but I have hard time believing them getting briefed before a class up

"ok guys, we only need XXXX nukes this year, so we need to fail out XX of them out of this class. Get ir done!"

My class had the 3rd highest gpa to go through power school. The class ahead of us came darn close to setting a record low. I had a 3.33 in powerschool and was bottom half :( for reference. Id be willing to bet the quality of recruiting may change? i.e. scraping the dregs to get nukes in. If that was your point, then I apologize.

I means what it says, the Navy will adjust to each new circumstance in the best interest of the Navy. When I enlisted the entry scores were 5 points higher than the Naval Academy on GCT/ARI which was our standard. However there was no shortage of enlistees due to the Vietnam war and because of the war there was no shortage of places to put drop outs in a 600 ship Navy. The bottom third of my A school class was dropped whether they passed or not, three speeding tickets or three late for class were enough to wash you from the program Today changes in the economy or other factors may influence the number who are willing to enlist and a shrinking Navy puts pressure on the program to only bring in those who can make it. Not better or worse just the way it is to meet he "Needs of the Navy".

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2011, 04:54 »
Resume the draft at ~100,000 bodies per year. Darwin will keep the pipeline full.

drayer54

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2011, 06:29 »
Resume the draft at ~100,000 bodies per year. Darwin will keep the pipeline full.
McDonald's may make that more difficult than you realize. Food for freedom gets a whole new meaning with 75% of our teens being too fat or too stupid to get in. Not smart enough for a AO? :stupidme:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/military-recruitment-grapples-obesity-epidemic/story?id=11431486

I think there are too many factors ( Academic fails, discipline fails, pregos, sad pandas, deserters, & such) for anyone to keep a set value of what the pipeline needs to push through.

Needs of the Navy means NR is going to what's best for NR at all times. They don't care about Chief X or Petty Officer X, they care about the needs of NR.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011, 06:31 by drayer54 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2011, 06:39 »
I think there are too many factors ( Academic fails, discipline fails, pregos, sad pandas, deserters, & such) for anyone to keep a set value of what the pipeline needs to push through.

Lose your NEC, be derated to Buttswain's Mate. Should be plenty of motivation!

drayer54

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2011, 07:43 »
Lose your NEC, be derated to Buttswain's Mate. Should be plenty of motivation!
Not when you are too fat or stupid to get in the door. (which is my point as to why the draft wouldn't work well with current standards)

Prototype was a blast for me. I had a small loft apartment above the bars in Saratoga. It couldn't of been much more fun. I could have done without the cold though.

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2011, 05:41 »
Prototype was a Filter in 1987. We lost at least 10 people from my class in Idaho, one of whom was my roomie who skipped town and stuck me with the bills. Freakin' bastard.

We had a few academic drops, 4 or 5 fail their final boards, and 1 or 2 for DUI etc.

Idaho was pretty interesting for Prototype. Lots to do on your 4 off. Ah, yea... high altitude beer party, heavily armed, camping trips. Good times.... good times.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:19 »

Ugly times, local judges gave young men the option of going to jail with a felony record or enlisting, the draft fueled anti military sentiment and rich families found a way to keep their kids out of the draft or listed as 4F. As negative as some see the attitude in the Navy now I can almost guarantee it was much worse during the draft.

Of course if this is just  :-> ...never mind, as you were  ;)  [coffee]

drayer54

« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:40 »
Ugly times, local judges gave young men the option of going to jail with a felony record or enlisting, the draft fueled anti military sentiment and
I think it is a major improvement for our military that we have raised our standards to not let in the people that society doesn't want. I get a little defensive when people look at someone and act like they have no choice or should just go join the military because they have burnt every other bridge. I acknowledge that it is an opportunity for some, but nobody wants to serve next to the jail dodgers and people who got backdoored into being there. If only we could raise the ASVAB standards further and keep the trend going.....
(Which you would know if you read my essay that was in Navy Times, not that anyone cares about Navy Times)
rich families found a way to keep their kids out of the draft or listed as 4F. As negative as some see the attitude in the Navy now I can almost guarantee it was much worse during the draft.
I think we can rest assured that this wouldn't happen today...  ::) ::) :->

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:16 »
If only we could raise the ASVAB standards further and keep the trend going.....
(Which you would know if you read my essay that was in Navy Times, not that anyone cares about Navy Times)I think we can rest assured that this wouldn't happen today...  ::) ::) :->

Why don't you figure out a way to post it here.  I would like to read it, but I'm not going to  read it in that rag you mention.

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:01 »
the draft fueled anti military sentiment and rich families found a way to keep their kids out of the draft or listed as 4F.

That's odd, Elvis, Ted Williams and Willie Mays were fairly famous and/or affluent when they were drafted. Just because a few corrupt politicians of the Entitlement Generation let the rules slide during Nam doesn't mean a legitimate conscription wouldn't be a useful tool in raising recruitment standards today.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:25 »
That's odd, Elvis, Ted Williams and Willie Mays were fairly famous and/or affluent when they were drafted. Just because a few corrupt politicians of the Entitlement Generation let the rules slide during Nam doesn't mean a legitimate conscription wouldn't be a useful tool in raising recruitment standards today.

Ted Williams = American Hero

Fought in multiple wars...

and I almost forgot......

Greatest Baseball player of all time.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:09 »

How would a forced draft raise recruiting standards???  Or is that your point of saying "legitimate"?

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2011, 04:51 »
Not intending to be braggadocios, but while going through my military records, I came across my nuke records.

NNPS, a 3.613 put me 14 out of 69
D1G prototype, a 3.178 put me 31 out or 96 (and I drank way to much, a miracle I made it, perhaps that week I was restricted to base had something to do with it.)

Now I do not know how this stacks up with grading today, but that was the spread in 67-68.  It looks to me like at prototype, if a 3.178 put you in the top one third, there were a whole lot in the 2.5-3.0 region.

Was it a pump or a filter?  I cannot really say, other then of the guys I went through the schools with, I can recall only four who dropped out.  All for psychiatric reasons.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2011, 06:05 »

WWII = Nam... I don't think so.

A draft for our "police actions" I still think are a bad idea, we have patriots like Tillman who gave it all, but in our highly ideologically split society today I think the Vietnam scenario fits better.

oooo35980

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2011, 06:33 »
I found the whole thing a pump, there were a few people that were removed for academic failure before prototype, but mostly they had 2.7 or 2.8 GPAs and the huge amounts of mandatory hours just took the fight out of them.  Prototype we had alot of people give up and say they wanted to commit suicide to get out.  I don't remember any academic failures though, alot of people failed every test, including comp on the first try and still passed.  There were also people so behind the curve that they graduated with the class behind them, we called them Senior Senior Class.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:13 »
I found the whole thing a pump, there were a few people that were removed for academic failure before prototype, but mostly they had 2.7 or 2.8 GPAs and the huge amounts of mandatory hours just took the fight out of them.  Prototype we had alot of people give up and say they wanted to commit suicide to get out.  I don't remember any academic failures though, alot of people failed every test, including comp on the first try and still passed.  There were also people so behind the curve that they graduated with the class behind them, we called them Senior Senior Class.

That is a pump...

The draft and Vietnam put a lot of people with some college, if not a degree into the system.  Most of the nukes back then had college.   There was no such thing as being held back.  The threat of orders to Gitmo or PBR's made the point you did not want to fail.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:57 »
The draft and Vietnam put a lot of people with some college, if not a degree into the system.  Most of the nukes back then had college. 

Very true, I was a few years behind you but in my class only three of us were High School grads everyone else had at least two years of college.

The threat of orders to Gitmo or PBR's made the point you did not want to fail.

River Boats were a strong incentive.  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?