Facility & Company Information > Region II (South East)

Turkey Point Operations shift schedule 8hrs. vs. 12 hrs.

<< < (2/4) > >>

biloxoi blues:
I guess that ends this discussion

NukeOps:
lol, Yea this post is mainly to spell out what the pros and cons are so that we can make a well informed decision, we have approximately 100 operators and we need 75% of them to vote yes for 12's if we want to start working the schedule, some people don't like change or don't like the history they had with the last 12 hour schedule. Back then we had very low staff and people were working their balls off, it sounds like it was a little inhumane, apparently the NRC was on the verge of shutting down the plant, but now things are different since now we have about 4 to five times the number of operators we had then. I am soon going to invite my fellow operators to visit this forum to voice their opinions on this matter and then take a poll to see if it is worth while to persue changing the schedule and putting in a vote. This is the first step.

biloxoi blues:
Just let them ask their union brothers in Ops at PSL.  Still havent figure why it takes 75 percent of them to change things.  That doesnt make sense, but that is what they needed at PSL and it did get passed.  Seems like it would be 51 percent to change things or keep them the same.

NukeOps:
Yup, we sent an email to our fellow union brothers there at PSL and the response was that they like 12's better but they agreed to not have turnover which is an issue. They only have 15 minutes of turnover which they are trying to change, and I think they are having another issue they want changed but I can't recall what it was, I am going to have to look in my email see if I still have it, I'll get back with that information.

a|F:

--- Quote from: biloxoi blues on Apr 10, 2011, 12:43 ---Just let them ask their union brothers in Ops at PSL.  Still haven't figure why it takes 75 percent of them to change things.  That doesn't make since, but that is what they needed at PSL and it did get passed.  Seems like it would be 51 percent to change things or keep them the same.

--- End quote ---

I believe this is a perfect place to have the super-majority requirement - ergo 2/3 or 3/4 must ratify the proposal.  I'll put it in perspective based solely on my plant.

We're on a hybrid schedule - 6 crews working 8's normally with 12's on the weekend (days and nights cover).  The vote for 12's comes up every year, with almost ever NLO/EO voting for it.  The sticking point is with the NSO/RO's.  Most don't want to sit in the control room for 12 hours... and who are the fatigue rules really concerned about?  Bingo!

So to me, the super-majority requirement is a great thing.  Unfortunately as a part of management, we don't get a choice- whatever the union wants, they get and we support (...can of worms there...), but most SRO's desire 12's as well.

I would recommend putting it up for a vote.  It will likely take years to pass, however, you will see the percentages change yearly until you meet the 3/4 requirement.  BTW - we DO have 2x OT during outage.  Not sure how you get around that...?  Creative scheduling?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version