Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Seeking good multiple choice test for review

Author Topic: Seeking good multiple choice test for review  (Read 27130 times)

drayer54

Re: Seeking good multiple choice test for review
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 06:03 »

LOL Heck no. Why would they be? Navy exams don't test knowledge or understanding. They test your ability to regurgitate.

This is true in the pipeline. In the fleet however, I'd say it has more to do with your social networking skills....

I remember asking how the heck I failed and then being told that I failed because I wasn't onboard for the RCOH. Fortunately for me, my upgrade was already signed when they handed it to me....  Ahh, Fleet Standards.....  That of course changed a few headlines later....

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 07:16 »
This is true in the pipeline. In the fleet however, I'd say it has more to do with your social networking skills....

I remember asking how the heck I failed and then being told that I failed because I wasn't onboard for the RCOH. Fortunately for me, my upgrade was already signed when they handed it to me....  Ahh, Fleet Standards.....  That of course changed a few headlines later....

you're misunderstanding. Speaking of advancement exams. Some how, they make these multiple choice tests "difficult" for people, and its not even the same caliber. That said, NLO exams are far easier then power school exams, at least for me anyway.

drayer54

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 07:22 »
you're misunderstanding. Speaking of advancement exams. Some how, they make these multiple choice tests "difficult" for people, and its not even the same caliber. That said, NLO exams are far easier then power school exams, at least for me anyway.
Do they look like the stuff in the DOE handbooks? Is it plant specific tests or theory type stuff? Have enough of your people failed out that they need a new class yet?  ;)

(I am not cheering against anyone to fail for the record, I'm sure they all have mortgages and kids and failing was probably a sad day for them)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:26 by drayer54 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 07:57 »
Do they look like the stuff in the DOE handbooks? Is it plant specific tests or theory type stuff? Have enough of your people failed out that they need a new class yet?  ;)

(I am not cheering against anyone to fail for the record, I'm sure they all have mortgages and kids and failing was probably a sad day for them)

Kinda. We have fleet training AND plant specific training.

And nope, we're gonna keep the rest I hope.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 09:20 »

If you're curious, for licensing, this is an example of a generic fundamentals exam;

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing/generic-fundamentals-examinations/bwr/bwr-files/past-exams/december2010bwr.pdf

For the final NRC exam, this is an example;

http://adamswebsearch2.nrc.gov/IDMWS/ViewDocByAccession.asp?AccessionNumber=ML102510217

Needless to say, hardly "multiple guess" as a previous person called these types of test and several orders of magnitude more difficult than anything in the Navy.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

drayer54

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 09:33 »
If you're curious, for licensing, this is an example of a generic fundamentals exam;

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing/generic-fundamentals-examinations/bwr/bwr-files/past-exams/december2010bwr.pdf

For the final NRC exam, this is an example;

http://adamswebsearch2.nrc.gov/IDMWS/ViewDocByAccession.asp?AccessionNumber=ML102510217

Needless to say, hardly "multiple guess" as a previous person called these types of test and several orders of magnitude more difficult than anything in the Navy.

Justin
I just glanced at those and plan to look them over further later on. Good stuff. I am on the verge of jumping in and have been looking at this stuff. I am doing college courses that teach the DOE handbooks and feel like I am going through Power School all over again. A good refresher I guess. Just to make sure I am on the same page, you mean for an SRO license right?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 09:39 »
Drayer, sro and ro go through the same class. Its the standards and nrc exam that really make the difference. Justins going through his second class, so he can elaborate of course. At my plant sro ugrades simply skip fundamentals because its the same.

Nlo and license are two completely different animals

drayer54

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 09:48 »
Drayer, sro and ro go through the same class. Its the standards and nrc exam that really make the difference. Justins going through his second class, so he can elaborate of course. At my plant sro ugrades simply skip fundamentals because its the same.

Nlo and license are two completely different animals
I figured this much. Let me know if you find anything as a guide for the NLO level, I'm curious to check it out. I'm writting a paper on BWR's now and learning some on the other side of the house that I had never seen before. Do they have any other good published resources about BWR's that is web accessible?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 10:11 »
I just glanced at those and plan to look them over further later on. Good stuff. I am on the verge of jumping in and have been looking at this stuff. I am doing college courses that teach the DOE handbooks and feel like I am going through Power School all over again. A good refresher I guess. Just to make sure I am on the same page, you mean for an SRO license right?

Yeah same class for RO/SRO, just that one the final written exam, the SRO has the 75 question "RO portion" and an additional 25 question "SRO portion." Along with the, the job performance modules "JPMs" are also slightly different for the RO/SRO. In the simulator portion, the SRO has to do a min. of 2 scenarios, one as SRO and one as RO (at the controls). The RO has to do 2, one as RO at the controls, and another as "BOP" (balance of plant) or secondary operator. Those positions have different names at different plants, but basically, one RO is in change of the  primary and reactor, one is in charge of the secondary. Altogether, they make a 3 man crew.

Hope that helps, although off topic. :)

Justin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:12 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 10:12 »
I figured this much. Let me know if you find anything as a guide for the NLO level, I'm curious to check it out. I'm writting a paper on BWR's now and learning some on the other side of the house that I had never seen before. Do they have any other good published resources about BWR's that is web accessible?

Here is a basic overview of BRW systems.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/teachers/03.pdf

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 02:12 »
holy cow the GFES exam isnt any where near the level of the NRC one lmao. I can barely read the NRC much less answer the questions haha.

that gfes exam has some good questions, Imma use that too.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 07:42 »
holy cow the GFES exam isnt any where near the level of the NRC one lmao. I can barely read the NRC much less answer the questions haha.

that gfes exam has some good questions, Imma use that too.

I have serious issues with the NRC GFES program, but that is another topic for another day. It is what it is.

Good luck to you and your class.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 09:37 »
If you are taking a multiple choice test, there is an art to them.
1) If you have two answers that are opposites, usually one of those in the answer.
2) The longest answer is mostly likely the correct one, especially if it is exceeding longer than the other ones. Remember, people have to make up wrong answers, so they tend to keep them short.
3) When in total doubt, "C."
4) If two answers are correct and you have "all of the above" that is the one you choose.
5) If it is NRRPT and "Compton's Scattering is a choice, that is most likely the answer (they love CS).
6) Responses that use absolute words, such as "always" or "never" are less likely to be correct than ones that use conditional words like "usually" or "probably."
7)"Funny" responses are usually wrong.
8) Look for grammatical clues. If the stem ends with the indefinite article "an," for example, then the correct response probably begins with a vowel.  
9) Look for verbal associations. A response that repeats key words that are in the stem is likely to be correct.
i.e Who is responsible for the electrical maintenance?
a) electrician b) mechanic c. rad con, d) QA

As a (former) Instructional Technologist I can unequivocally state that some of those recommendations are (or were) dead-on correct... and some are not.

1.) It depends on how the opposites are worded. For instance if the first says "x = y" and the other says "x<>y" then one of them has to be correct, so if one is not the correct answer, there are likely two correct answers which should invalidate the question. However, even in this case if x and y are not relevant to the question asked, then all bets are off.

2.) This would likely be true if test developers were really lazy or stupid. Some are, but in the nuclear world, most are not. On top of that, the tests are reviewed question by question by at least two others before approval, so you would need several lazy idiots for this to hold. I am not saying this situation does not exist in Nuclear Training Programs, just that it is rare. Outside of SAT programs, this technique holds true.

3.) This will work about 20% to 25% of the time, depending on whether there are four or five choices.

4.) This is among the most reliable, but not 100% guaranteed. It depends on what the definition of 'right' is (thank you Mr. Clinton.) If you are absolutely sure that two answers are correct to an equal degree you can be sure you won't get this one wrong if you answer 'All of the above' because if there are two equally correct answers, the question is invalid. Remember, though that the instructions will usually have a statement like 'Choose the most correct answer' or 'the choice that best answers the question' which gives wiggle room. Good arguments can invalidate questions that have two answers that can be shown to be equally correct, but in most cases the distractors have already been tested for this.

5.) I don't remember that being the case in my version of the test, but I can't argue this point.

6.) Spot on. But remember the 'less likely' part of this recommendation-- it is not guaranteed. If you have no clue, this can actually help. Also remember that good test writers know this, too.

7.) Also true. Most test writers can't resist a good play on words... however, there is little room for humor in most accredited programs, so you probably won't see this much anymore.

8.) This works in most sloppily written tests. I doubt you will find this in a test in an accredited program, either.

9.) This falls into the same category as #8.

I have actually taught classes to instructors that covered all of these subjects, to improve test development skills. As a matter of fact, it was part of the Initial Instructor Training, and then used again in Continuing Training when testing skills sagged a bit. Outside of the SAT based training world, these have all been valid recommendations, at least in the past, and some are still valid today. If an instructor handed me a test with any of this on it for my review (and I reviewed a lot of tests) I would hand it back for correction... because training professionals look for them.

Believe it or not these 'rules' used to be quite accurate until better development skills were taught. I used many of them to cruise through High School -- which may account for namlive's 150 IQ rating. I am sure mine was raised a bit by the same knowledge. I even found out it works in Spanish. I took the Spanish Achievement Test for placement in college and scored 750 out of 800, so they placed me in a third year level class -- they could have been speaking Greek, Italian or Swahili for all I knew. I could understand about 10% of what they were saying if they spoke slowly enough. Big time backfire on me.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:48 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 03:43 »
None hold true for an Operator exam.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 03:56 »
None hold true for an Operator exam.

[BS]

I reviewed them, too. I taught Operations Instructors. As I pointed out (if you actually took the time to read the post) most of the points carry little or no weight in a SAT world with well trained instructors. But there is a little validity to several, no matter how good the instructors get.

I am sure that perfection is the goal, but saying any program has achieved that is just another example of undeserved arrogance.

Not that I am surprised.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 04:11 »
Oh I saw it :) No matter what when I see this posted in its entirety I will say it does not apply to a licensed operator exam! I don't want some fool applying rules that won't work!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 06:39 »
Prior to our NRC Audit exam we had a lecture about exam-taking/exam anxiety.  A couple of takeaways from a guy who works industry-wide:

1.  When you have no clue, choose B. 
2.  When in doubt, pick the longest answer.  (if you're clueless and B is the longest answer, sounds like a shoo-in).
3.  Somebody will fail that will surprise everyone (this turned out to be true).
4.  Skip questions that you are struggling with and come back to them later.  Anxiety from them can cloud your judgment on subsequent questions.

Some of our classes' observations:
1. The more you know, the more you know.
2. When studying concepts, ride lazy to the bank (i.e. studying old exams can you give you ideas on what kinds of things to study; however memorizing the exam bank can lead to missing otherwise easy questions).
3.  Group study can be helpful so long as you refer to source documents, not the guy with the 96 average (using 2 above, a 24 hour surveillance at one plant may be a 12 hour surveillance at our plant).   
4.  Speaking of teamwork, there is no "I" in team, but there is one in LICENSE. ;)

Now back to the books.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:05 by DDMurray »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02 »
murray, I cant wait for the day when I have to actually study :p

I looked over that NRC, holy crap... lol.

I expect lots of help from you gents when Im heading through license class in a couple years...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?