Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Taking the POSS
honeypot

Author Topic: Taking the POSS  (Read 4944 times)

tmw78

Taking the POSS
« on: Jun 05, 2011, 12:17 »
OK, I just took the POSS practice test and my question is are we really not able to use a calculator on the real exam? 38 questions in 14 minutes doing everything long hand is crazy, for me at least. I'm taking the real thing this week and now I am a little nervous. I thought I had good math skills until now.

Offline Karl

• Very Lite User
Re: Taking the POSS
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2011, 01:44 »
tmw, look in the forum "POSS & Other Tests."  There are posts regarding this along with all other POSS/MASS related questions.

Absolutely no calculators, however, scratch paper is provided.  They want to gauge how quickly you can think on your feet.  Its all about speed and accuracy.  Most of the problems are only one or two operations, just basic middle school math.  Practice and time yourself.  Keep working at it until you can reduce the time significantly.  It took me a couple of days of practice to get used to doing arithmetic quickly on paper after using calculators for 20 years.  
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2011, 02:01 by Karl »

Offline NoogaTiger

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2011, 02:16 »
No calculators, but don't sweat trying to get every answer, they're looking for how many of them you can do in that time frame.
Just practice, get faster, and go do what you can, but getting nervous won't help.

Pman52

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2011, 04:06 »
Just my word of advice for you.  Make sure you work on your conversions.  Distance, area, volume, etc.  Use the practice test conversion table and try and memorize the conversions in your head.  This will save you a lot of time if you can knock out all of the conversions quickly.  Some utilities give 2 versions of the math test.  One is a short version with mostly conversions and the other is longer and involves story-type questions and algebra with more conversions.  I had the conversion table memorized and flew right through that portion and it saved me time.  Be quick but make sure to be thorough and get as many as you possibly can done correctly.  It can be stressful but once you find out that you've passed and been recommended there is no better feeling of relief...  ;)

Good luck and let us know how you do!  Pretty much common sense, but make sure to eat a good breakfast and get good rest prior to the test.

tmw78

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:13 »
Thanks everyone for the heads up. Taking it tomorrow.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?