Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Army Nuclear Power Program  

Author Topic: The Army Nuclear Power Program  (Read 34271 times)

MacGyver

Re: The Army Nuclear Power Program
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:45 »
I AM AN ARMY NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS OPERATOR.  I GRADUATED IN 1976.  I AM A RUSSIAN TRANSLATOR WHO GRADUATED IN 1971.  THE LAST NUCLEAR REACTOR FOR THE ARMY WAS THE STURGIS.  IT WAS A WWII LIBERTY SHIP WITH THE CENTER CUT OUT AND A NUCLEAR REACTOR IN IT'S PLACE.  IT MADE 20 MEGAWATTS OF POWER FOR THE PANAMA CANAL IN THE DRY SEASON.  THERE WAS A 60 MEGAWATT SOLAR GAS TURBINES ALSO. 

THE SL-1 WAS THE LAST REACTOR DESIGNED TO GO CRITICAL ON ONE CONTROL ROD.  THE ARMY ALSO HAD A REACTOR THAT WAS BUILT IN MODULES. IT WAS TAKEN TO GREENLAND SUNK INTO THE ICE.  OPERATED FOR SIX MONTHS AND THEN REMOVED.

Typing in all CAPS reminds me of this:

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2011, 03:05 »
Of course he did - you two are joined at the 'taint.....  [Flamer]

Nah, its more like velcro. We can dettach whenever, its just difficult ;)

I AM AN ARMY NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS OPERATOR.  I GRADUATED IN 1976.  I AM A RUSSIAN TRANSLATOR WHO GRADUATED IN 1971.  THE LAST NUCLEAR REACTOR FOR THE ARMY WAS THE STURGIS.  IT WAS A WWII LIBERTY SHIP WITH THE CENTER CUT OUT AND A NUCLEAR REACTOR IN IT'S PLACE.  IT MADE 20 MEGAWATTS OF POWER FOR THE PANAMA CANAL IN THE DRY SEASON.  THERE WAS A 60 MEGAWATT SOLAR GAS TURBINES ALSO. 

THE SL-1 WAS THE LAST REACTOR DESIGNED TO GO CRITICAL ON ONE CONTROL ROD.  THE ARMY ALSO HAD A REACTOR THAT WAS BUILT IN MODULES. IT WAS TAKEN TO GREENLAND SUNK INTO THE ICE.  OPERATED FOR SIX MONTHS AND THEN REMOVED.

LOUD NOISES!!!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2011, 08:30 »

First thanks for the info, input from subject matter experts is always appreciated.

I think what the last two posters are trying to say is:

Forum Rules

The internet being the cyber version of the Wild West that it is, I have found it necessary to impose some message board rules. I ask that you please read and respect them so that we can all continue to have a wonderful time here.

8. DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, IT IS THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2011, 09:47 »
Jokes aside, it is really cool to have army nukes here! Part of the reason I enjoy this site so much.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2011, 11:25 »
THE ARMY ALSO HAD A REACTOR THAT WAS BUILT IN MODULES. IT WAS TAKEN TO GREENLAND SUNK INTO THE ICE.  OPERATED FOR SIX MONTHS AND THEN REMOVED. 

1. No need to Yell, but,

2. Rechech your history (and knowledge of the program), way longer than 6 months (and not in Greenland)!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #30 on: Apr 26, 2011, 01:41 »
1. No need to Yell, but,

2. Rechech your history (and knowledge of the program), way longer than 6 months (and not in Greenland)!

oooh..... :D

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Apr 26, 2011, 07:51 »
I worked with Herman at Palo Verde Unit II many years ago.  He had great pictures and better stories.  The monkey brains in central America wasn't my cup of tea though.
LM

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:03 »
1. No need to Yell, but,

Let me correct myself.  When I think of ice, I think McMurdo and forget sbout Camp Century!
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Hanford Tech

• Very Lite User
« Reply #33 on: Apr 26, 2011, 12:48 »
Sorry for typing in capitals.  There was nothing meant with capital letters.  Just trying to give info.  The reactor in Antarctic (McMurdo) was a power reactor.  The navy personnel who worked there had to go to the Army program for power production.  Navy reactors were for propulsion.  When it was decommissioned that was a huge pile of radioactive ice.  All the ice was shipped in barrels back to the US.  Somebody commented that I was wrong on location. There were reactors in Greenland and Antarctic.  The Army school had both army and navy personnel attending.  The army had both stationary and mobile reactors.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 26, 2011, 07:34 »
Sorry for typing in capitals.  There was nothing meant with capital letters.  Just trying to give info.  The reactor in Antarctic (McMurdo) was a power reactor.  The navy personnel who worked there had to go to the Army program for power production.  Navy reactors were for propulsion.  When it was decommissioned that was a huge pile of radioactive ice.  All the ice was shipped in barrels back to the US.  Somebody commented that I was wrong on location. There were reactors in Greenland and Antarctic.  The Army school had both army and navy personnel attending.  The army had both stationary and mobile reactors.

For some reason the Navy thought that assignment  to these was a big incentive to entice re-enlistment because of the extra month of leave that was awarded if you did a six month tour. They did not tell me about attending the Army school prior to assignment, moot point, I opted to get out.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 »
  Somebody commented that I was wrong on location. There were reactors in Greenland and Antarctic. 

That would be me and I corrected myself in the next post.  Like I said, when I think about ice, I always think about Antartica and forget about Century and for that matter Alaska!   ;D

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #36 on: Apr 27, 2011, 02:45 »

::)

That's beautiful, man. That got printed and plastered on the break room walls immediately. Love it!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: Apr 27, 2011, 05:08 »

Thanks for your insight and first hand knowledge....I wish I could talk with you over a beer or three

Dr.Tarr

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 10:50 »
Like Laundry Man - I also had the pleasure of working with Herman H at PVNGS.  Both Herman and my father in law worked together in Panama on the ARMY nuke barge.  Of course being a boat sailor, I say the Navy program is better.  While the FiL disagrees, he does have some good stories which make it perfectly clear that both branches had their share of folks who were one answer away from failing the MMPI! 8)

Well all you roadwhores - I'm back!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?