Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Surry after a tornado touched down

Author Topic: Surry after a tornado touched down  (Read 18249 times)

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
Surry after a tornado touched down
« on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:14 »
After the link opens, just click on the “Slideshow” button to let them run in auto. 

Lots of clean up and rebuilding work there for their site facilities.  Due to extensive damage to switchyard it could be some time before they can get both units back on line.

https://picasaweb.google.com/surry10/Tornado?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjO7szfopKOGg&feat=directlink#

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Pman52

Re: Surry after a tornado touched down
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:42 »
Thanks for sharing.  Looks like they have some work ahead of them.  Hope that everyone was safe while the storm hit. 

According to NRC report the plant is in a stable state and everything reacted normally and as it should.  Good news.

bismuth-210

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:52 »
so now what happens to the people the depend on surry for their power?

won't they go live in caves or have rolling blackouts ?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:02 »
so now what happens to the people the depend on surry for their power?
The people WHO depend on Surry for power probably won't notice that it's coming from another source. (Once their lines are restored that is)

won't they go live in caves or have rolling blackouts ?

This is in Virginia, not Japan.  Try to keep up & on-topic!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

bismuth-210

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:31 »
The people WHO depend on Surry for power probably won't notice that it's coming from another source. (Once their lines are restored that is)

This is in Virginia, not Japan.  Try to keep up & on-topic!

in case you didn't get the email, a strong pro-nuke talking point is that if the plants go offline, then we will be forced to live in caves or endure rolling blackouts.  this is often parroted by IP supporters, which is close to NYC.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 09:51 by bismuth-210 »

Offline Static Prevails

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:01 »
in case you didn't get the email, a strong pro-nuke talking point is that if the plants go offline, then we will be forced to live in caves or endure rolling blackouts.  this is often parroted by IP supporters, which is close to NYC.

do you know where that is ?

Some food for thought:

Summer and winter are generally when net system load is highest on a grid.  A plant coming offline does reduce system capacity, but in the spring or fall there's not a noticable impact because less power is being used by consumers. This is why scheduled outages occur in the spring and fall.

According to the US Energy Information Administration, nuclear power was 19.6% of the nation's electric generation in 2008. One plant going offline temporarily is not the same as all plants going offline permanently.

Offline Static Prevails

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:35 »
... But I digress. Fermi II got hit by a tornado last June. From what I was told, the cooling towers & circ water system got hit pretty hard. There were about a dozen dead deer in the circ water pond... The twister also took part of the roof off the turbine building and damaged the aux building.

The roofing contractors DTE brought in to repair the turbine building roof went on strike in the middle of it.... If they left site, they wouldn't cross the picket line to come back in, so they slept in the Training Center.

I'm pretty sure the plant was back online in less than 2 weeks- maybe 10 days?
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 12:48 by Static Prevails »

bismuth-210

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:24 »
thanks for the reply and direct answers.

i guess the USA needs to start weening themselves off of their Air Conditioning addiction.

whoever said that AC helped promote fat-ness was onto something i think .

MacGyver

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2011, 07:41 »
thanks for the reply and direct answers.

i guess the USA needs to start weening themselves off of their Air Conditioning addiction.

You are obviously EURO-PEE-Ian.

Listen up TROLL I don't tell you how to post or how to live so try doing the same.  A/C is pure goodness!  Or do you prefer the deaths associated with the heat in America during the summer?  Murderer.   ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 07:42 by MacGyver »

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2011, 07:52 »
in case you didn't get the email, a strong pro-nuke talking point is that if the plants go offline, then we will be forced to live in caves or endure rolling blackouts.  this is often parroted by IP supporters, which is close to NYC.

So, why haven't you provided this "email" for our "providential" discover phase of posting.

Provide the document and a link.  Or, be called a liar.

SoftballGirl

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:16 »
Can't get the link to work. Can anyone help?   
 :'(

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:35 »
Can't get the link to work. Can anyone help?   
 :'(

just tried it....looks like the pic gallery was deleted.

nukengr

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:46 »
Shame the pictures went down. Glad it wasn't worse. From what I've seen we'll be trying to figure out how to make a flying dumpster part of a future design basis event study.   :P

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:53 »
When the pictures first appeared, I almost started a betting pool to see how long they were allowed to stay in the public view, but I didn't want to be negative about it.

No pun intended, of course.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:03 »

Air Conditioning: Fattening people up since 1918

On-topic: I think the pictures may have caused some to question which items were parked in or near the switchyard prior to the twister, and whether it was a good idea. With such a possible event in mind, there are many utilities that have missile shield jersey barrier type walls around power plant switchyards and noteworthy substations. Perhaps Bismarck-210 has some ideas to share mit uns, ja? ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 10:05 by HydroDave63 »

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2011, 07:38 »
Air Conditioning: Fattening people up since 1918

On-topic: I think the pictures may have caused some to question which items were parked in or near the switchyard prior to the twister, and whether it was a good idea. With such a possible event in mind, there are many utilities that have missile shield jersey barrier type walls around power plant switchyards and noteworthy substations. Perhaps Bismarck-210 has some ideas to share mit uns, ja? ;)

Freudian slip?

Before,

or after the sinking?

P.S. I approve (re: "bismarck").
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 07:52 by MacGyver »

caerbannog

« Reply #16 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:49 »
I heard something similar happened at Browns Ferry, can anyone confirm?

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2011, 10:11 »
I heard something similar happened at Browns Ferry, can anyone confirm?

See the thread on BF.  Safe Shutdown!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?