Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SONGS and Power Dispatcher jobs in Southern California honeypot

Author Topic: SONGS and Power Dispatcher jobs in Southern California  (Read 27729 times)

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
Hi guys,

I've been a lurker in the NukeWorker.com community since 2005. Only recently have I registered with the site. I've decided that after 10yrs it's time for me to make a jump into the civilian sector.

Some background info:
I'm a surface nuke EMC. EAOS is July 2011.
Thomas Edison B.S. (2011)
Qualified PPWS (2006), Load Dispatcher (2004)
I currently work at the A4W FIDE (since 2008) - simulator for nuke operators on board carriers
FIDE description:http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:w_A36X4pWBMJ:https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/slc/stfsnd/Training.aspx%3FID%3D1+a4w+fide&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
I have my resume and applications posted with edisonjobs, caljobs.ca.gov, and governmentjobs.com, and LA DWP.

Ideally I'd like to work in southern California since the fiancé has a solid job as a pharmacist and I have a home in San Diego.

I understand I am limiting myself by staying in the area, but I would love to work for SCE as either an Operations Instructor, transmission dispatcher, instant-SRO or maybe NLO. But from browsing www.edisonjobs.com for the last 6 months the only lead I have is my recent application to a Transmission Dispatcher for SCE located in Alhambra. I have not seen anything resembling NLO, RO or SRO. Do these jobs get posted somewhere else? I've heard that hiring happens in cycles. Does someone know when SONGS classes up? I would like to plan for a lapse in work if I have to wait before starting. I've also heard of delays with HR and the way they process applications.

Do jobs like Operations Instructor usually get filled internally? If I can get my foot in SCE as an NLO or instant-SRO, what are the chances of crossing over to Training as an Ops Instructor after so many years? Is it a common? I just really enjoy the aspect of training operators and watching them improve.

I have some backup plans with Load Dispatcher/Power distributor. Los Angeles DWP has a constant opening. And from talking to DSO, Pasadena and Burbank also have LD's. whether or not they have openings is another question. I'm just trying to work a parallel path until I get called for interviews and receive an offer.

Can anyone provide insight on Load Dispatcher/Power Distributor jobs? Specifically if openings in the S. California area are going to be available soon?

I'm also scheduled to take the LA DWP exam May 21st. I've started studying NERC standards and Power system Operations by Robert H. Miller. Does anyone else have insight on what to focus on for the LA DWP LD exam? I wish there was a LoadDispatcher.com/forum.

I know as a navy nuke I know nothing regarding civilian plants. And once again I'm a nub. The best I can do is hit the ground running when I get the chance. Hopefully this helps Broadzilla from having to post.... much. I was unable to find answers using the search function. Thanks again for any information you guys can provide.

Jerome

drayer54

Re: SONGS and Power Dispatcher jobs in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2011, 10:54 »
wait for it.......  [dunce]
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2011, 10:54 by drayer54 »

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:04 »
There it is, I expected Broadzilla.... but this will do.
 :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:06 »
There it is, I expected Broadzilla.... but this will do.
 :)

I have a good feeling I will get decent use out of this image.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:29 »
There have been on-again, off-again pushes on this site to minimize the "chatter" and maximize the "help" in these threads.  That may require you two to find another hobby.  At least Chuckie provided a link.  Bravo.

Jerome- first thing you need to do is use your resources- like all your ex-navy colleagues already working there (Songs) that can answer those questions.  I messaged a knowledgable individual on here with experience on the LD/dispatching side... he said the same thing... and that'd he get to you when he had time.

The guys that go back to instructing after SRO are often senior and want to get off shift (at my plant that usually requires an ultimatum to leave the company if they won't allow it).  Your company just spent 500k on your training and you think they're not gonna recoup that somehow?  Get your ears wet on shift a few years then worry about your next role.  Or at least that's what I hear everytime I ask to get off shift ;)  SRO classes run in ~2 year cycles.  I believe they just started another class since a friend went on shift a few months ago.

You will/could/should be an asset to any training program out there (especially the simulator group- maybe contracted out?).  Hold out for one of those positions.  FYI- I was told last week that there shouldn't be any openings for Ops instructors for quite some time- they just hired a few.  You could also try to get into procedure writing, maintenance planning or the like.  OPS jobs are all shift work.  Is that what you want?  If you want to operate equipment again and do rounds (logs), then NLO is a great job.  Otherwise, steer clear.

SONGS only posts on the Edison site and those jobs aren't up there for long.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011, 12:16 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2011, 01:29 »
even though i added that last bit. i still assumed i'd get a "search function" post some where here. Mike was probably asleep by the time i posted. thanks for not letting me down, Chuck.  ;)

believe it or not i actually read those 3 threads before posting. and a bunch more. they helped me to determine what i want and the path i should look towards for growth. but did not enlighten me about Instructor Positions at SONGS, SCE hiring cycles, nor power dispatcher positions.

I was able to contact a friend who got hired at SONGS last year. He mentioned similarities between Ops instructor and my current position. In talking with his boss, who has hiring power, the notion was that they had hired for the year. My friend was unable to tell me when SONGS has their hiring cycles, though. He was picked around October last year without applying at edisonjobs.com. He was just recommended for an interview by someone and got an offer following. I posed the question here because I couldn't get any clarity when Ops Instructor positions would open up. It looks like SRO might be closed for the near future also.

I would love to continue working with simulator training. I listed my job preferences in order, with both LD/Ops Instructor fairly equal.  Though SRO/NLO would be shift work and taking logs, I wouldn't mind it if I was compensated for my time. I also saw it as a way for me to learn the plant and become a better instructor. But I kind of figured that's what any company would say in regards to moving from OPs to training. I mentioned to my friend of holding out for an Ops Instructor job but I don't think I can hold out for greater than 6 months, which seems to be the case if they're full up.

Thanks for the clarifying answers Alf. Even though I'll get treated like a nub around these parts I still see it as a great way to network alongside my current resources. I definitely look forward to speaking to your LD/dispatching friend.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2011, 10:55 »
Being more then qualified for SRO, you'd be wasting your time going the NLO route, unless thats what you wanted... That said, my plant recently had 5 ex navy chiefs fail SRO program last cycle, so mentally prepare yourself for the sheer amount of work you will need to do as well. Even as an instructor, you will have to get your SRO certification.

NLO cycles are yearly. SRO cycles are usually ran in 2 year cycles. 6 month introductory period, followed by your 14 months of license class.

One of my friends recently got hired as an instructor, after spending EIGHT years as an NLO. He was glad to have gotten off shift, but it took a while. Keep that in mind as you wait.

I know you're not interested in moving really, but I can ask around here for entergy's LD programs if you want.

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2011, 03:44 »
Hence me wanting to take Ops Instructor/Load Dispatcher over NLO. I know it would be a minimum of +3.5 yrs to go from NLO to SRO and then a stroke of good luck to get out of Ops and into training. itd definitely be the LONG way to training, and the least desirable, but I would at least have my foot in the door. At least that's what I was thinking. Going from your experience Charlie, it seems waiting a year is better than trying to go Ops first and then training.

But by limiting myself geographically i'm subjective to what becomes available from SONGS, whether its an Ops position or training. Thanks for correcting me on the class up times and hiring cycles. I'm also looking at grid operators at refineries like Conoco-Philips or Tesoro and other convetional plants in the southern california region.

I believe JustinHEMI descirbed the SRO training pipeline as "drinking from a firehouse" and "NPS on crack". And Mike says you guys are scrutinized about 567 times more than anything we do in the Navy. I can only imagine by your descriptions what its like since I have yet to experience it firsthand. I feel like the studying I'm doing for the LD LADWP/NERC exam is knocking off some rust and helping me prepare mentally for the studying I'll have to do again. It's comforting to know I will still have to get my SRO certification regardless of my path.

Thanks, Charlie for asking around about the LD programs at Entergy. Feel free to contact me here or via email if you hear anything. Nothing shows right now on their career postings, but I do see an Ops Instructor position. If only I could convince the fiance to move...

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2011, 04:09 »
I believe JustinHEMI descirbed the SRO training pipeline as "drinking from a firehouse" and "NPS on crack". And Mike says you guys are scrutinized about 567 times more than anything we do in the Navy. I can only imagine by your descriptions what its like since I have yet to experience it firsthand. I feel like the studying I'm doing for the LD LADWP/NERC exam is knocking off some rust and helping me prepare mentally for the studying I'll have to do again. It's comforting to know I will still have to get my SRO certification regardless of my path.

If I've told them once I've told them 1 million times not to exaggerate.   :P

drayer54

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2011, 04:27 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,27426.msg143784.html#msg143784

Hey guys,

I have a friend that is a recruiter for an outside company.  Allegedly he's trying to fill SONGS direct SRO's.  I'm not eligible, but I thought some of you guys may be.

PM me for info.

Kyle
I think you may be in some kind of luck! It's a sign.....

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2011, 06:30 »
pm sent.
Thanks for looking out Drayer! but there may be a problem. I'll pull the string and see what his friend says.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2011, 07:36 »
Yeah dude, looking back and thinking, 1) waiting for a specific plant to open can be... counterproductive and 2) "Settling" for just putting your foot in the door or a job you dont want is nowhere you want to be in life, or at least in my POV so to speak.

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2011, 11:37 »
I'm sure he'll enjoy all the random calls...

seems like you guys have some history, judging from other threads.

I've written the number down if you want to remove the post MeterSwangin. PM also sent with some questions.

DSO

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2011, 04:54 »
For Load Dispatcher/System Operator etc.....There are  only 4 utilities that I have ever known of that would hire Navy Nukes fresh out of the Navy without prior System Operator experience or at least substation operator experience and are STILL possibly hiring: 1) ISO New England (having Bachelors degree only) 2) First Energy Corp. 3) LADWP 4) ISO New York

There may be more but very limited from what I have seen. So Nautika96, if you want to stay in the southern California area and be in an electridcal utility...its LADWP or SONGS for the nuclear route. In this economy that will be a very daunting task in deed. When I got out in 2005 I was willing to go to about half the states and got my 4.5 years of experience at First Enery Corp as a Distribution System Operator even that I was not from the area.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2011, 06:40 »
In todays day and age with the way FERC and NERC are handled is it even possible for a right out of the Navy guy to get hired for load dispatcher positions?

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2011, 12:26 »
For Load Dispatcher/System Operator etc.....There are  only 4 utilities that I have ever known of that would hire Navy Nukes fresh out of the Navy without prior System Operator experience or at least substation operator experience and are STILL possibly hiring: 1) ISO New England (having Bachelors degree only) 2) First Energy Corp. 3) LADWP 4) ISO New York

There may be more but very limited from what I have seen. So Nautika96, if you want to stay in the southern California area and be in an electridcal utility...its LADWP or SONGS for the nuclear route. In this economy that will be a very daunting task in deed. When I got out in 2005 I was willing to go to about half the states and got my 4.5 years of experience at First Enery Corp as a Distribution System Operator even that I was not from the area.

Thanks again for the help previously DSO. I've finished Power System Operations and I'm back to studying the NERC standards. After speaking with the LA personnel office, I found out that their process is to interview candidates in order based on exam scores. Can you shed any light on how long that process takes? Given the steps the LA personnel office has to take (test grading and then interviews), I can imagine it being almost a month before hearing from them following the exam.

Did the NERC have anything governing their training program before 2009? I see nothing on the version history for PER-005. I find it hard to imagine that no standard was established before it.

I did not find any evidence of ISO NE still hiring fresh Nukes. ISO NE, however, does seem to be adding to their training program: https://isone.tms.hrdepartment.com/jobs/222/-Intern-System-Operations-Operational-Performance-and-TrainingHolyoke-MA

LADWP, on the other hand, specifically states "or; three years of full-time paid experience in the operation or maintenance of a nuclear powered generating facility or ship" as their requirement for a Load Dispatcher position. Though I hear many have struggled with their 4-hr multiple choice exam.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2011, 01:55 »
100% True. Most the training was skill of the craft.

DSO

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2011, 07:20 »
You are correct..... I was # 9 on their list and they interviewed 11 people for 4 positions .... Based on exam score order since this is civil service rules. Passing is 70, but you will have to get > 80 to be high enough to be interviewed. I took the exam on May 16 and had my interview on November 30th. Part of LADWP and New England ISO training are to get you NERC certified as they are bulk transmission. I was proactive and studied and passed the NERC Balancing Interchange and Transmission Operator certification exam 8 days before the interview and was supposedly ranked 4th after the interviews but they ended up only hiring 3 people. The hiring list is good for 2 years and I was invited for another interview but declined as I was just hired as SR Power Dispatcher with City of Pasadena which now also requires NERC certification at the highest Reliability Operator level. I have one year to pass RC Exam but took it 2 weeks ago and passed  it. You will get 5 points added to your LADWP exam score ( veteran) so I would think you need at least a 75 to have an interview. Pasadena just had interviews and will not be opening to the outside for a long time since they have a new hiring list. Forget City of Burbank ( where I live) it's internal hiring only and SDGE in San Diegos local IBEW 465 only moves up and trains internally also.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 09:29 »
Have you looked into SDG&E positions as well, since you already have a house in San Diego?

Offline nautika96

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 11:23 »
yes. I've spoken with Joel Brilliant from SDG&E during a job fair. He indicated that SDG&E is particular about hiring internally. They also have few dispatcher positions since their are a very small utility. Joel mentioned how he had been a temp and ended up staying with the company for over +15 years. Though this would likely mean I would have to start at the bottom rung, I'm not afraid to get back to operating/maintenance. But I will say there are several other opportunities that have my interest.

It's a shame that the LA personnel office takes so long to respond. Regardless of the path I take I also plan on completing my NERC certification for RC to allow for future options. A friend also recommended that I study the WECC System Operators Training Manual for the LD exam. Am I right to assume value in his advice?

DSO - you mention having 1yr to pass your Reliability Coordinator Exam. Is there a requirement to complete all 4 certifications? I've heard of the implementation of training hours to maintain proficiency, but nothing of having to complete the all 4 NERC certifications.

DSO

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 04:32 »
A friend also recommended that I study the WECC System Operators Training Manual for the LD exam. Am I right to assume value in his advice?No
DSO - you mention having 1yr to pass your Reliability Coordinator Exam. Is there a requirement to complete all 4 certifications? No I've heard of the implementation of training hours to maintain proficiency, but nothing of having to complete the all 4 NERC certifications.

andrewnavy

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03 »
In todays day and age with the way FERC and NERC are handled is it even possible for a right out of the Navy guy to get hired for load dispatcher positions?
.   I start a job with ISO New England.with just nuke experience. I did turn down a system operator position for a trainer position.  Both require the same licenses.

andrewnavy

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 10:24 »
I am not sure if load dispatcher and system operator are synonymous so excuse me if my above post is not applicable.

Offline emtpilot

• Lurker
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2013, 12:56 »
Jerome,
I know its been a couple of years since you posted this.  I just joined this group but I am a Transmission System Operator for SCE.  They are in process of external hires.  Please drop me a line.

J-

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?