Career Path > DOE

L  OR Q  CLEARANCE

<< < (5/6) > >>

pertle2:
I can speak from experience on this one. After getting out of the Army after 22 years and of that 15 years of having a Secret upgradable to TS as need arises. I had to do the whole process just to get a "L". Doe and OPM look at military clearance as different even though I had the same investigator for my Army reinvestigation as did for my initial DOE L ( now that was funny) we both laughed.  So go figure! It always comes down to OPM making money

Sun Dog:

--- Quote from: Old Grunt on Dec 29, 2010, 09:58 ---I can speak from experience on this one. After getting out of the Army after 22 years and of that 15 years of having a Secret upgradable to TS as need arises. I had to do the whole process just to get a "L". Doe and OPM look at military clearance as different even though I had the same investigator for my Army reinvestigation as did for my initial DOE L ( now that was funny) we both laughed.  So go figure! It always comes down to OPM making money

--- End quote ---

Didn't Maj. Nidal Hasan have one of those expensive clearances?  They sure do help protect us. You and your 'investigator' bud may have been the only taxpayers laughing at the inept and inefficient process.  The federal loot would be better spent on the public school system.

Chimera:
These clearances are not some universal thing the government gives you.  The clearances are granted through the Company you are working for.  If you change employers, the new clearance has to be granted through the new company.  Oft times, it's just a matter of signing a piece of paper shifting the clearance from one company to the other - assuming the new company has its FOCI paperwork completed and approved.  I ran into the same thing when I first left the Navy and went to work helping build some of the Navy's new prototypes - okay, they were new back then.  Always print out a copy of the package you filled out before you submit it so you know what all your answers were should you have to fill out a new package for a new company.  If you're going to work in the DOE world, keep excellent records of where you worked, where you lived, who your supervisor was and, perhaps, a reference or two for that job.

KH5229:
How do I know which clearance I have if I've been in a nuke? I know when I went through the process they said after 3(I think) years I would have to get it reevaluated/checked into again. Does this means it is expired? Will this transfer to a military clearance?

dlvoiers:
I can only speak from personal experience here.  I'm a retired MMC(SS/SW).  After 22 years of secret/confidential clearance in the "Canoe Club", I came to work at a DOE site.  No military clearance will transition, and you will have to start your clearance process from ground zero.  This can be a fairly lengthy process.  You can expect to wait anywhere from 1-2 months for your "L" to come back approved, and another month or two for your "Q".  Save all of your paperwork, you have to fill it out every 5 years.  Good luck!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version