Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NukeWorker Success Stories
honeypot

Author Topic: NukeWorker Success Stories  (Read 46233 times)

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
Re: NukeWorker Success Stories
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 04:42 »
The message boards on this site have been particularly helpful as I prepared to enter the NUPOC program. I had lots of questions and received lots of answers.

I achieved the goal of entering the NUPOC program over a year ago and yet I still stop by to see what is going on and to help others asking about the program.

Additionally, I have encouraged college students to seek out this site, and the job opportunities advertised here, as they look to hit the real world.

Good site, good people. Thanks.

neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50 »
Polysci arena which made me appreciate coworkers keeping their political bents to themselves.

;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 04:27 »
I'm glad someone started this thread.  I'm a living embodiment of the Nukeworker success story... I'll elaborate.

I first found out about this site in 2003 when I experienced my first lay-off some where in Idaho. Im sure it's been a while for some of you, but that feeling of trepidation and not knowing where the hell your income's coming from stays with me from time to time.

I've found DOE jobs, outages, study guides and some incredible projects that I had no idea I applied for....it's all culminated over the span of 7yrs into the house job @ LANL that I now have.  I know that I have plenty of drive ambition for about 3 people, but w/o a portal to showcase your skills, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Ive never been too long w/o a job (summers/ winters) thanks to NUKEWORKER.COM...thanks to Mike for starting / maintaining our portal to the nuke community!

Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2011, 03:50 »
Thank you for sharing those stories.  I appreciate it.

Offline RCSmith

• Very Lite User
« Reply #29 on: Jul 29, 2011, 06:24 »
Today I received the official offer for an AO position at an Entergy plant.
When I found the job posting a few months back my EAOS was still over nine months away and I didn't think there would be a chance to get in as an operator at that plant. Now, five months from EAOS and three months from terminal leave, the anxiety about a career after the navy is over.
Why? Because one month ago a NW member offered to personally forward my resume to the operations manager at his plant and the operations manager at the plant where I'm accepting the job. The job posting for this AO class had been closed for months, but a good contact at the right time opened doors that I didn't think existed.
NW also helped me prepare for behavioral interviews and the POSS test. These tools were invaluable, because your resume will only get you so far.
All the information that you need to get a job in the nuclear industry is here. You just need the drive to find it and apply it.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2011, 11:54 »
Today I received the official offer for an AO position at an Entergy plant.
When I found the job posting a few months back my EAOS was still over nine months away and I didn't think there would be a chance to get in as an operator at that plant. Now, five months from EAOS and three months from terminal leave, the anxiety about a career after the navy is over.
Why? Because one month ago a NW member offered to personally forward my resume to the operations manager at his plant and the operations manager at the plant where I'm accepting the job. The job posting for this AO class had been closed for months, but a good contact at the right time opened doors that I didn't think existed.
NW also helped me prepare for behavioral interviews and the POSS test. These tools were invaluable, because your resume will only get you so far.
All the information that you need to get a job in the nuclear industry is here. You just need the drive to find it and apply it.

Congratulations and welcome to the industry! I think you are too modest, because I know you had to pass the POSS test on short notice and do well above average on the interview to have them hold a slot. You challenge moving forward, will be to show them they were correct in taking that chance.

Offline Terranear

• Very Lite User
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2011, 10:23 »
I was first introduced to the nuclear field working as an Operator (basic labor) in ’99 at a waste consolidation plant.  Tested once to get into they’re HP program but didn’t have a high enough score and that company went bankrupt after 5 months.  I was then hired at a fuel manufacturing facility again as an operator (labor).  When anthrax plagued the Hart Senate Building I took a sampling position that lasted all of 14 days.  Came home from that and new I wanted to be more then just labor; I wanted to be a tech. 

Nukeworker forums suggested I gain some experience doing outages as decon for a few years and so I put my resume up hoping for some outage work.  I applied for every JR HP and decon job I could find.  As luck would have it a staffing firm hired me directly for a JR HP job at a private company. 

Through Nukeworker's study guides and everyone’s help in the forums I was able to pass the DOE Core, and the NUF.  So my persistence of submitting applications (and with a lot of luck), I was able to start a career in RadCon with no relative education.  Now I am a lead tech and looking forward to my continued growth in this industry.

nuclear_janitor

« Reply #32 on: Apr 23, 2012, 01:54 »
I am currently studying towards a Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering. I was offered a position as an engineering intern for this summer at a nuclear power plant thanks partially to the information gathered by reading NukeWorker posts.
This website offers a treasure trove of invaluable information, both for inexperienced noobs like me and, I suspect, for more experience workers as well.
I wish to thank all the posters who generously shared their knowledge of this fascinating industry with us. I hope to be able to make some valuable contributions myself sometime in the future.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:17 »
Welcome, I kind of started out in your position also.  What school do you attend?

nuclear_janitor

« Reply #34 on: Apr 24, 2012, 10:01 »
Hello Cheme09,

I am glad that we have something in common. We might even share a similar educational background, since my Bachelor is in Chemical Engineering, and, with Sherlock Holmes like cleverness, I suspect you have a background in chemistry too.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012, 10:05 by nuclear_janitor »

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #35 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:49 »
I also have a BS in Chemical Engineering.  You should know that we chemical engineers like to distinguish between having a background in chemistry, and having a background in chemical engineering.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:35 »
Adding my own success story to the list, I stumbled onto this site when I first graduated with my BS in nuclear engineering and began looking for employment. I have found great advice regarding with which companies I should apply and which companies I should avoid. I recently accepted a position with the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and am scheduled to begin working in about four weeks. I don't think I would have been interested in working for the Navy had I not met some friendly and interesting folk here who have previously served or worked with the Navy. Thanks to everyone who has personally given me advice and friendly chit-chat, and special thanks to the folks who keep this place running!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?