Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NukeWorker Success Stories honeypot

Author Topic: NukeWorker Success Stories  (Read 46239 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
NukeWorker Success Stories
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:12 »
One of our members had a great idea, that we should ask the NukeWorkers to post their 'success' story.  I would love for every one of you to post here, sharing your story.  How did NukeWorker help you?  Did you get a job in the job board?  Did the free online study guides and quizzes help you pass a test?  Did networking with other NukeWorkers help you get a job?  Did the tribal knowledge in the message board help you?  Feel free to name other members that were especially helpful or inspirational to you.

Encourage Success Stories.  I recently explained how I personally know no one that has gotten a job via NukeWorker.  How about a "NukeWorker Success Stories" where people are encourage to share their experiences in making whatever job, career transition they were looking for?   We help people but then they "disappear".   If someone used the job boards and the Forum for help, then encourage them to post their stories.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:15 by Rennhack »

Fermi2

Re: NukeWorker Success Stories
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:51 »
Picked up lots of good tribal knowledge from other members here, HydroDave, Marssim, Nutty Neutron, Justin aka Higgs, , MacGyver et al. Also got some great inside looks at how other departments think.

For the individuals I have shared many PMs with either giving advice, or answering questions, or teaching or just shooting the bull, well I've thoroughly enjoyed it and the energy of those just starting out in our industry has at times made me enjoy my job more. It's nice seeing someone take their first steps in an industry that I've learned to run in and see how joyful they are at their success.

I've enjoyed the disagreements with those who believe at times I might be too gruff. I might not agree but I do respect your opinions!

So yeah Nukeworker has given me the best of a few worlds.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:07 »
NW.com has helped me grow multiple times over the years. The first was when I got out of the Navy and continued to harbor anger and discontent many months after EAOS. A NW.com member smacked some sense into me and made me realize that it was all on me. I have since been a "post Navy diggit."

I am currently going through another growth period as I learn how to handle/deal with people who I may not necessarily like or agree with.

Additionally, I have learned so much from the likes of BZ, Dave, Marssim, Tom, etc.

Finally, I love giving back to NW.com by helping new comers, the way NW.com helped me when I was getting into the business. Before my last blow up, I had 6 resumes I was helping to mold and a PM box full of other requests. I would miss that too much.

These are the reasons I keep coming back.... despite how many times I have tried to stay away.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:08 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:52 »
Helped me with Mass Unemployment when it was still legal to collect a combined wage claim and not work there.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54 »
Helped me with Mass Unemployment when it was still legal to collect a combined wage claim and not work there.

I have to second this one.  It also helped me get some good Mass unemployment back in the day.

puma2645

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57 »
Mr. Rennhack,  [salute] I salute you for you awesome fortitude to invest time and $$$ ??? to produce this site.  <3

From a new member, but hoping to get some good karma one day.  [BH]

It's the first site I turn to each day, to search the job market.
Sometimes working at a commercial plant you don't hear of the "other" side , DOE etc..  I enjoy hearing of the way others do their job, in particular Marsimm who says 'his way is always the right way'.   And to have someone throw down the spell check feature on you , when you misspell a word.
Even though we'll probably never unionize and completely work together. We still have Nukeworker.com to keep us together and connected with the outside world.

Offline Radwasted

• In nuclear war all men are cremated equal.
  • Light User
  • Sr HP Cal Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:08 »
All I can say is what a great website Mike.This website has giving me the info I need to move up in this industry. How to get into this industry. Great threads. Jr HP ..Great Threads. Sr Hp .. Great Threads..Engineering and QC. If you want the info it is here. Search what you want all the info is here.

Your website helped me Mike.

A success story.

Thanks RW
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.” Max Planck

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47 »
The great people on this forum gave me advice which was unequaled ANYWHERE ELSE as I transitioned from the Navy Nuclear Program into commercial nuclear power.  Quite literally, everyone's advice saved me thousands of dollars in mistakes that I was likely to make right out of the gate; and for this very reason, I will always remain a Gold Member - I can only hope that my contributions to this site may someday result in someone (and hopefully several "someones") receiving as much help here as I myself have received.
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59 »
I believe there are some night shift, West Coast or insomniacs out there. Or maybe late night studying for the NRRPT.  :P 

Or maybe making a lonely power marketer cry somewhere in a Houston or NYC fancy office building ;)

On-topic: Sometimes, even a short-term gig one finds here on Nukeworker can put you in a place where you find your hole-in-one career boost later, I've seen it happen myself! Plus this site has MUCH better smilies  [dowave]

Keln

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:24 »
A success story. Hmm...

Well, honestly Nukeworker wasn't necessary to get me a job, but I enjoy being a part of a community that understands the industry we all work in. Especially since many are ex-navy nukes like I am. As far as my story goes, I left the Navy and got stuck in the steel mill industry...and I hated it. I got trained to follow procedures, but they didn't even have such a thing where I worked. Just a lot of asinine rules meant to be broken and co-workers that were uneducated, untrained, and unprofessional. Call me arrogant, but I love working with people in and from the nuclear world...they are just better than most. When I had the chance to leave the steel world and get back into nuclear, I took it. I currently work for the American Centrifuge Project at USEC, and I couldn't be happier about the switch. I am once again working with people who understand how to be a professional worker, and do things the right way. In my time working in the steel industry, 5 people died at the mill I worked at, plus countless serious injuries. In my time at USEC, none have died, and we count days without time-loss injuries in the thousands. I think that says a lot about our industry and the attitude people have in it.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 04:30 »
Some of the people on the site helped me through long stretches of waiting for waivers and freaking out about upcoming tests. They answered most of my questions. ;)

I've found the average levels of competency and civility to far surpass any other forum sites I've been to (including PolySci).

I'll keep visiting throughout my career, however long that may be. :)

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:34 »
I saw the ad for the position I currently hold right here on NW!
Thanks Mike,
LM

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 09:11 »
Hi
I am a Russian nuclear engineer-physicist with many years of really practical experiences in nuclear industry of former USSR countries. Was putting the reactors in operation and fulfilled the decommissioning the nuclear power plants. I have the best nuclear engineering education (i.e. 6 complete years in a State University of Nuclear Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia) what could be got in Russia during the 90-s. I moved to Canada as a new-comer with a hope to get a position of a technician or an engineer in nuclear industry of Canada or US. But! To my GREAT surprise the system of qualification requirements in North America is done in such a way what it is really practically impossible to get there any job in nuclear industry for foreign trained engineers without any possibility even to try to pass the qualification exams. I had to sell my property in Canada and move my family from America back to my country. Upon this, I would say what Canada and US have closed the doors for non-american nuclear engineers. I assume the situation as a very ugly. I have stopped several families of my relatives and friends from the very stupid step to immigrate to North America.
To all the Russians and former ex-Soviet people! Think twice before move to Canada or US with a hope to be treated as engineers or normal people. Non-american diploma/certificate and non-american experience mean nothing in Canada and US. The only way which is open for you in North America is to be a “welfarast” or a worker at a gas-station or a conveyer belt.
To the Americans. You just do not understand the big difference between the levels of engineering education and experience of American and Russian nuclear engineers. Russians are far more educated and experienced than American nuclear engineers. By closing the ways for Russian engineers to work in nuclear industry of Canada and US you will stay at the quite low level of your engineering skills and understanding the processes and technics of nuclear industry.
Apart of this, please, try to understand what for several last years the ethnic composition of the new-comers is mainly has became so-called “non-white”, since “the white engineers” are too proud to be “the second” for years without any chance to be recognized as high-qualified engineers, and by this to became about equal to the “real” Americans. This would definitely lead to the situation which is already in the France, for example. I would say, what the situation of total replacing the “native” white population in formerly mainly white North American cities by a very strange, non-educated, very poor, and mainly non-white new-comers  may be easily seen in Toronto, ON.

WTH? Some MotherFer is always trying to ice skate uphill.

I gotta admit Mike this website has given me some incredibly good laughs too. It is the site that I check first every day. Then www.nrc.gov in order to read the event reports.

basketlady

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:31 »
NukeWorker has been a help to me in the past..  I needed work and came to NW .  Bartlett had a post needing deconners for North Anna....I GOT IN!!!! And once again....I was leaving  Seabrook. Just before I left my room, I checked NW. There was a post about Brunswick. By the time I got to the Delawere Bridge ....I had  a job.    THANKS NUKEWORKER !!!!!!!

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 11:08 »
Picked up lots of good tribal knowledge from other members here, HydroDave, Marssim, Nutty Neutron, Justin aka Higgs, , MacGyver et al. Also got some great inside looks at how other departments think.

For the individuals I have shared many PMs with either giving advice, or answering questions, or teaching or just shooting the bull, well I've thoroughly enjoyed it and the energy of those just starting out in our industry has at times made me enjoy my job more. It's nice seeing someone take their first steps in an industry that I've learned to run in and see how joyful they are at their success.

I've enjoyed the disagreements with those who believe at times I might be too gruff. I might not agree but I do respect your opinions!

Picked up lots of good B.S. stories from other members here, HydroDave, Marssim, Nutty Neutron, Justin aka Higgs, , MacGyver et al. Also got some great inside looks at how other departments dysfunctional perform.

For the individuals I have shared many PMs with either giving Crap, or answering Crap, or lying or just shooting the messenger, well I've thoroughly enjoyed it and the energy of those just starting out in our industry has at times made me enjoy my career more. It's nice seeing someone take their first steps in an industry that I've learned to play hide & seek for a grand a week and see how joyful they are at their success.

I've enjoyed the disagreements with those who believe at times I might be too alien. I might not agree but I do LOL at your opinions!

"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 11:27 »
Hello fellow Nukeworkers,
    I can tell you that Nukeworker is a fantastic place to put your résumé. Below is a summarized account of the impact Nukeworker.com has had on my life.

November 2007: Soon to be  getting out of the Navy, I post my résumé to ~10 jobs and work boards per day.

February 2008: I am honorably discharged from the Navy and have a few interviews already lined up for me.

March/April 2008: I have two job offers. One at a Nuke plant and another at a coal plant. I end up choosing the coal plant job, due to it being in my home town.

March/April-June 2008: After undergoing several separate instances of being shocked by voltages ranging from 120Vac to 480Vac, watching three coworkers get injured (hospitalized), and multiple accounts of tagouts that were improperly performed leading to mispositioning, fuel oil spill, and one of my previously mentioned shocks; I decide that the coal plant is not for me.
   By this time, the responses to my résumé posting has dwindled to nothing but headhunters looking to put me in grunt work positions... Save one phone call. Florida Power and Light (now NextEra Energy) calls me, not one week after my wife and I make this decision. They found my résumé posted here, on Nukeworker.com.

July 2008: After a successful interview and accepted job offer, I am working as an Instant SRO candidate at Point Beach Nuclear Plant near Green Bay, WI. I've got a job that pays 50% more than my previous, a job that I can respect, and a job that is not actively trying to kill me.

July 2008 - May 2011: Working through the ILT SRO classes, audit and NRC exam. Often when I have technical or professional questions, I come here and find that I am not alone. I search through the forums and find answers that help me from day to day routine to pump wiring and resource data.

May 2011: After my NRC evaluation, I find out that I have passed all of my Simulator, JPM, and written requirements, and that I'm going to get my Senior Reactor Operator license. I reward myself by getting myself a Gold Membership here on Nukeworker.com.

Well, that's my success story, and I thank all you here for helping write it. I can think of no other group of people that will help a fellow out, just because he is in, or even interested in, a field of work. It is an amazing thing, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

-Bradley

PS - Just under my avatar is the same phrase I've had for the last three years. As The Doctor would say, "Look to the left."

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 03:04 »
I visit the web site to keep up with the industry and with the people. Having made Nuclear my career since 1979, this site keeps me close to those many I have worked with over the years.

My only success story would be the information gleaned from this site regarding a number of topics as well as the humor from much of the same individuals who have written comments. It reminds me of the old days hanging out in the trailers on site when you had to learn how to debate and fend for yourself in the "court of opinion" in that trailer. Ah....the good old days.

Without this site, I would miss keeping in touch so if you consider that a success story, well, I would agree.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02 »
One of our members had a great idea, that we should ask the NukeWorkers to post their 'success' story.  I would love for every one of you to post here, sharing your story.  How did NukeWorker help you?  Did you get a job in the job board?  Did the free online study guides and quizzes help you pass a test?  Did networking with other NukeWorkers help you get a job?  Did the tribal knowledge in the message board help you?  Feel free to name other members that were especially helpful or inspirational to you.

I posted the following when this was talked about last year:

I am one of those 'NukeWorker Success Stories' you mention...  

I have gotten jobs due to NukeWorker...both from job postings AND directly from other NukeWorkers.  

I have also gotten my wife a job through NukeWorker.  

I have received GREAT advice on how to complete my degree, including elements as diverse as financing, classes, & credits for past accomplishments.  

I have been given excellent suggestions on how to pass the tests (written & otherwise) that must be navigated in our industry.  

I have had innumerable questions answered and/or brainstormed in the forum.  

And on...and on...and on...

Thanks, NukeWorker.com!  :)

Special thanks to HiCountry, Evilpixie, & Creeker!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:02 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Willy

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:51 »
I started visiting NW.com about 2 years ago.  I have been in the piping industry for a little over 17 years, but I have always been fascinated with nuclear power.  I started searching the site trying to figure out the best way in.  After reading hours and hours of posts I asked Nuclear NASCAR a few questions and came up with a game plan.  I just finished my first year of school at Bismarck State College.  It has been a long time since I have been in school, but it went really good this year and I enjoyed learning.  I have read many post regarding the poss test, resumes, and general information supplied by many of you folks.  I appreciate everyone's views points especially Justin, Broadzilla, Nuclear NASCAR, and CM.  The guys on this site are sometimes hard on each other and on newcomers, but I think that is good.  It keeps everything real and in perspective for us new guys.  One thing that I have to commend you guys on is your camaraderie.  When CM was in the middle of his situation a few weeks ago you guys were there for him, even though you disagree sometimes.  If I never get into the industry I will still continue being a part of this site, if for nothing else I enjoy learning about the nuclear industry.  Thank you everyone.

Cathy

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50 »
I got the job I have now because of this site.
I was at Brunswick a few years ago in the middle of an outage trying to figure out what to do about my father in Texas who had just shattered his ankle....I was perusing Nukeworker and saw a job posted at a plant near my home. Long story short, problem with father solved. I now work at home and I have spent more time with my father in the last 2 1/2 years than I had in 20 years. It turned out to be a great place to work as an added bonus!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 11:02 »
I got the job I have now because of this site.
I was at Brunswick a few years ago in the middle of an outage trying to figure out what to do about my father in Texas who had just shattered his ankle....I was perusing Nukeworker and saw a job posted at a plant near my home. Long story short, problem with father solved. I now work at home and I have spent more time with my father in the last 2 1/2 years than I had in 20 years. It turned out to be a great place to work as an added bonus!

Now that is a success story.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57 »
Spring 2002: I saw all the jobs listed on Nukeworker, and got up the courage to leave my old job at Turkey Point.
Fall 2002: Study material on Nukeworker was the only reason I passed NEU exam to get work as contract HP.
Spring 2003: Contacts made on Nukeworker helped me get a permanent job with present utility (in 2005).
Spring 2005: Study links (Gollnick and others) ordered on Nukeworker helped with NRRPT cert.

Thanks Mike!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:58 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

papajoe52

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38 »
Mike I believe I was working with you at Duke Power when you  got the idea to start nukeworker site ,and I thought it was a good idea then but did not know about this internet thing ,and sense you have succeeded in making such a good place for all of us to gether I really love your work ,Thanks for the jobs emails as it helps me decide where I want to go and when.Keep up the good work

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 01:19 »
Hmm. Im a "work in progress" I guess.

Started out here before I joined the navy. Got a lot of good advice that helped me excel in the navy, as well as helping me through some EXTREMELY difficult times.

I was stubborn and embarrassed when I got out of the navy, so I begrudgingly tasked myself to get my own job. I wish I would have used the resources here to get a job, but I did use the mighty search box to assist myself in writing my resume and getting my thoughts together (Interview techniques, how to apply, where to apply, etc etc).

Since being hired as a Sr.NEO, I now use this site as a professional AND personal development tool. The amount of assistance I have received from members here is inexpressible in words. Not just with my silly questions about how the plant works, but some serious personal issues I have gone through as well.

While I wouldnt paint my self as a "success story" just yet, I can with great ease of mind say this site is immeasurable in its usefulness and the members here have done nothing but support me. Yeah, I've been a PITA from time to time, but when it really comes down to wire, even the members I dont have the "best chemistry" with still swallowed some amount of pride and gave me good, useful advice.

Definitely a great place for all current and aspiring nukes. Two heads are better then one, and this site extrapolates that exponentially.

So, thanks to everyone here for making this site as great as it is. Special thanks go to : These People
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:21 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 03:55 »
NW was unequivocally the most helpful resource to being hired as an SRO in the area I wanted.

This site provided me with:

Infinite hours of reading and learning while on deployment.

Information to intelligently determine career opportunities available upon a 6-and-out stint.

Tools to prepare myself for interviews, resumes, etc.

Job boards to search for positions.

Links to NUREG, ACAD, INPO, etc. documents which I never would've known about.

The realization that naval standards are only a building block.

The ability to give back and become a gold member.  

Polysci arena which made me appreciate coworkers keeping their political bents to themselves.

Many experienced individuals willing to help out.

Thanks to you all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:20 by a|F »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?