Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 4-5 microroentgen/hr out here
honeypot

Author Topic: 4-5 microroentgen/hr out here  (Read 16973 times)

mack70

4-5 microroentgen/hr out here
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:51 »
I measured with a Ludlum model 19 4 mR/hr some areas 5 and one spot 8 mR/hr but typical is 4-5 mR/hr background. What do you get in your part of town? Background seems nice and low in southflorida.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: 4-5 microroentgen/hr out here
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:17 »
I measured with a Ludlum model 19 4 mR/hr some areas 5 and one spot 8 mR/hr but typical is 4-5 mR/hr background. What do you get in your part of town? Background seems nice and low in southflorida.

Micro uR/hr or Milli mR/hr?
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:44 »
Perhaps this will be of some assistance.
http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/usagamma.gif
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:48 »
Perhaps this will be of some assistance.
http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/usagamma.gif

Way cool!  Thanks!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:11 »
Actually I see 1-2 uR/hr in no dose areas and sometimes even <1. We use Bicron which has no audio. I suggested changing to the Ludlum years ago for the audio, but got shot down.
No one gets out alive.

ISOCS

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:22 »
I don't think I've ever seen less than 4 microR/hr. Even at the entrance to President's Island where there is nothing there I see at least 4 or 5. This is done with the Ludlum M-19 with audio and fast and slow response.

ISOCS

Offline ChrisNichols

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2011, 04:06 »
i get about the same here in oak ridge, tn. i have drove pase a few places around town and seen a significant increase 20to30 micro r/hr

Offline Touche

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2011, 02:48 »
Background in Boulder, Colorado = 8 - 30 microR/hr at waist level.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:59 »
Oak Ridge Nice, Cesium Fields around ORNL higher, bends of the creek higher where radionuclides deposited.  Aerial Survey of course has peaks around the plants. ORNL the most.   Aerial survey really shows the creek bends.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2011, 08:01 »
Koriyama Japan in March.  600 microR/hr in the plant parking lot.
LM

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2011, 12:55 »
Oak Ridge Nice, Cesium Fields around ORNL higher, bends of the creek higher where radionuclides deposited.  Aerial Survey of course has peaks around the plants. ORNL the most.   Aerial survey really shows the creek bends.

Are those graphics public I have seen bits and pieces but not big picture. Mercury still seems to be the biggest issue for the site, it will be a CERCLA site for many years.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2011, 04:37 »
They are public.  There was a place I went to  by Big Ed's Pizza that would let you have the aerial survey if you ask.  Do not know if it is still there.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2011, 05:21 »
They are public.  There was a place I went to  by Big Ed's Pizza that would let you have the aerial survey if you ask.  Do not know if it is still there.

Big Ed's is definetly still there but I am not sure of the place you are talking of. Is it on line?

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2011, 05:30 »

May have found it but will have to wait for approval on the site registration.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2011, 11:53 »
7 seams to bee the norm round the burgh.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2011, 09:58 »
https://www.etde.org/etdeweb/registration.jsp?pg=6

This website will let you view the Oak Ridge Aerial map and others for free. You have to register and it takes a few days to approve you.   I  have not been approved yet.  Will let you know if it works.

The Energy Technology Data Exchange (ETDE), an IEA Implementing Agreement, is funded through its member countries' annual membership contributions. In addition, each member must cover the literature published in their country for inclusion in ETDE's Database. Because of this investment of resources, database access is controlled.

ETDEWEB is the latest product sponsored and financially supported by ETDE's members. Residents of member countries are eligible to use this product. According to the ETDE Implementing Agreement, each member has the right to set policies regarding access to ETDE products for their residents. Since each member does expend considerable resources to participate in ETDE and to provide the contents of ETDEWEB and other ETDE products, sometimes these products cannot be offered free of charge.

I seen the map available but could not Access because I was not registered.  It said it was free.
  I got this email from them. Thank you for registering.  You will be contacted via email as soon as your account is approved.
You will not be able to log on to ETDEWEB until your account has been approved.
  I will let you know how it works out.

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 11:14 by thenukeman »

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2011, 03:43 »
My account has been approved. The ISOs are not very clear but there is plenty of information even aerial surveys of Pilgram and Quad Cities.

Offline Jonesmp

• Very Lite User
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:17 »
we typically get 3 microR/hr at the lower door at the KSU test and research reactor at full power.  2.3 in the control room.  128 mR/hr pool surface... that's why we only go to 100kW for tours to see the core glow. 

mack70

« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 »
we typically get 3 microR/hr at the lower door at the KSU test and research reactor at full power.  2.3 in the control room.  128 mR/hr pool surface... that's why we only go to 100kW for tours to see the core glow. 

Thats pretty good. You are using an NaI survey meter?

I received a Ludlum model 192 last year (more accurate unit, bigger crystal)

My office I get 3 uR/hr
backyard near lake. 2.5 uR/hr

I am getting a Ludlum 9-3 Ion chamber, obviously will not register background since minimum on the 9-3 is 200 uR/hr But it has a nice flat response
 when measuring stuff.

BTW: Don Ludlum passed away last week.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?