Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Digital Wishlist

Author Topic: Digital Wishlist  (Read 4023 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Digital Wishlist
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:58 »
Okay, maybe I'm just being a dinosaur, but I liked the analog versions of most meters better than I am liking their digital counterparts.  My battle with the new version of the teletector is an example:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26242.msg145019/topicseen.html#new

If the meter manufacturers are reading this, here are some things I'd like on the next generation of digital meters:

1.  Do NOT auto-scale!  (I want to know what scale I'm on.  Is that 4 mR/hr?  ...or 4 R/hr!!!  Don't make me stand there in a dose field trying to figure it out.)

2.  Make the numbers big enough to read...in a misted bubblesuit...with foggy safety glasses...and poor lighting...and old(er) eyes.

3.  Make the backlight BRIGHT!  We use these things in sub-optimal lighting situations a lot...

4.  Give me a way to switch from slow response to fast response.  If I'm doing a routine, I'd like slow response so I can get a precise, steady number.  If I'm pulling equipment out of the cavity, I want fast response so I get that particle before it gets me.

5.  If you have multiple detectors in the instrument, do NOT auto-switch between detectors!  The 6112M is useless for midrange point sources...whereas the old 6112B was great.  

I'm sure there are other ways they can improve...help me out with your ideas.

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:00 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Digital Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:48 »

Okay, maybe I'm just being a dinosaur, but I liked the analog versions of most meters better than I am liking their digital counterparts. 

From a pre-dinosaur:

1 - 4
I think I've said this before, but many years ago the instrument reps would come in and not want to talk to the RPM/RSO (guy in charge), but to the field techs. They would ask what do you want to see in our next generation.  However; over time this became, "that's not what you need" - "We" have the perfect instrument for what you  need - trust us!

On the origional Teletector (and other multiple detector instruments), I knew where the detectors were located and could mechanically compensate for detector to source, but with autoswitching - who can compensate with some of the new "field optimised instruments" without staying longer than is ALARA!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Chimera

Re: Digital Wishlist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:00 »
As another old dinosaur, I agree with you UncaBuffalo - usable and readable!  Your list is pretty comprehensive in my book.

I've had some good luck with the 6112M but still prefer the 6112B.  For field use, I've learned to ignore the digital read-out and rely more on the psuedo-analog indicators built into most of the digital instruments.  A little field dampening on that digital read-out would go a long way to making them more usable on the lower scales instead of watching the read-out jump back and forth.  Other than critical usages, such as shipping and some posting, the nearest half-mr is more than adequate.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?