News and Discussions > Nuke News

TVA cooling system shutdown.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Marlin:
More woes for Browns Ferry.

A TVA Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant reactor has fallen lower in regulators’ trust than any other reactor in the nation at this time.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110531/NEWS11/305310028/Regulators-rate-Browns-Ferry-nuclear-reactor-least-trustworthy?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FR

RDTroja:

--- Quote from: Marlin on May 31, 2011, 08:12 ---More woes for Browns Ferry.

A TVA Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant reactor has fallen lower in regulators’ trust than any other reactor in the nation at this time.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110531/NEWS11/305310028/Regulators-rate-Browns-Ferry-nuclear-reactor-least-trustworthy?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FR

--- End quote ---

From the story:

'The continuing crisis at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in Japan resulted when electricity shut down and backups didn’t work. The reactors in trouble there are General Electric boiling water reactors like those at Browns Ferry.

Comparatively few reactors are of this design. Among them is Three Mile Island, near Middleton, Pa., where a partial meltdown in 1979 led to sweeping changes to enhance safety and emergency response in the nuclear industry.'

I am sure the folks at Three Mile Island will be surprised to find out they have a BWR... although they do have a lot of activity in their steam side. Actually, I once witnessed an NRC Inspector congratulate the RPM at TMI for turning their PWR into a BWR after traversing the turbine building and having to dodge the Contaminated Areas. Until I read the linked article, I was not aware that they had actually achieved that... I though the NRC Inspector was just getting in a dig against the RPM. Who knew?

Marlin:
If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain     [coffee]

--- Quote from: RDTroja on May 31, 2011, 08:28 ---From the story:

'The continuing crisis at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in Japan resulted when electricity shut down and backups didn’t work. The reactors in trouble there are General Electric boiling water reactors like those at Browns Ferry.

Comparatively few reactors are of this design. Among them is Three Mile Island, near Middleton, Pa., where a partial meltdown in 1979 led to sweeping changes to enhance safety and emergency response in the nuclear industry.'

I am sure the folks at Three Mile Island will be surprised to find out they have a BWR... although they do have a lot of activity in their steam side. Actually, I once witnessed an NRC Inspector congratulate the RPM at TMI for turning their PWR into a BWR after traversing the turbine building and having to dodge the Contaminated Areas. Until I read the linked article, I was not aware that they had actually achieved that... I though the NRC Inspector was just getting in a dig against the RPM. Who knew?

--- End quote ---

Cycoticpenguin:
Im not seeing the big picture here. the "least trusted reactor plant" sounds a lot like being the "poorest billionaire". What are some repercussions for this?

Higgs:

--- Quote from: Charlie Murphy on May 31, 2011, 10:36 ---Im not seeing the big picture here. the "least trusted reactor plant" sounds a lot like being the "poorest billionaire". What are some repercussions for this?

--- End quote ---

Extra help.

When Palo Verde was column 4, life was not fun. There was around 2 dozen NRC inspectors on site and they brought in a couple of new VPs to make changes. A lot of people didn't survive the wide swinging axe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version