Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SRO Traineeship Interview

Author Topic: SRO Traineeship Interview  (Read 27035 times)

oalsayari

SRO Traineeship Interview
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:12 »
Hi

I am a natural gas processing operation shift controller with six years experience in that field and a BS degree in chemical engineering.
I am offered an interview at ENEC, the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, a new nuclear energy corporation in the United Arab Emirates.  I will be interviewed for a a licensed SRO trainee position. If accepted I will undergo an 18 month intensive (mostly on job) training program. The training includes simulator training as well.
Is that long enough for getting licensed? It does not sound long enough to me.
Any advice for the interview?  Does anyone have any insights about the transition from natural gas processing to nuclear plant operations? They are surely two different things but operations is operations, right?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:19 by oalsayari »

Cycoticpenguin

Re: SRO Traineeship Interview
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:17 »
They hire non nukes to be sro?! wow... good luck regardless!

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:02 »
They aren't even making the decision to build a reactor for about 18 more months..

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:38 »
Hi

I am a natural gas processing operation shift controller with six years experience in that field and a BS degree in chemical engineering.
I am offered an interview at ENEC, the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, a new nuclear energy corporation in the United Arab Emirates.  I will be interviewed for a a licensed SRO trainee position. If accepted I will undergo an 18 month intensive (mostly on job) training program. The training includes simulator training as well.
Any advice for the interview?  Does anyone have any insights about the transition from natural gas processing to nuclear plant operations? They are surely two different things but operations is operations, right?

Oh and no, operations is not operations. Your entire experience is maybe worth 73 seconds in a nuclear facility.

drayer54

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:07 »
Hi

That is awesome. I know some people who are going through the process with them as well. They posted job ads a few months ago. Good Luck to you!! Keep us posted....

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:28 »
Hi

As has already been indicated, you will experience something completely different than you do now. Training is much or rigorous as is the vetting process for licensing. On top of that, if you achieve licensing, the level of scrutiny you will constantly be under will be on a level you've not experienced before. So like Broadzilla said, no... operations is not operations. You'll have awesome power at your fingertips, with that comes awesome responsibility.

The 18 month program is on par with current USA licensing programs. I know it doesn't seem long enough, and it probably isn't considering the amount of information you are expected to learn, but that is why not just any snow flake can do it.

Good luck and keeps us posted!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:30 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

oalsayari

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:38 »
They aren't even making the decision to build a reactor for about 18 more months..
I'll wager a buttery cinnamon roll the Emirates ends up building a French design like the Chinese did at Daya Bay, and grabs 20 hot licensed guys out of Germany.

They already decided they were building four APR1400 reactors and the contract is awarded to a Korean-Japanese consortium.  They are planning on training local talent for the new SRO positions, but I guess if they fail to train enough UAE nationals they will have to bring in someone to run the show.  The first reactor is expected to be functional by 2017. 

Drayer and TheHiggs: I will keep you all posted.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:20 »
Not certain where you got your info from but they haven't rewarded any contracts yet nor have they created any infrastructure yet. If they started prepping the site TODAY the first reactor wouldn't be operating by 2017.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:47 »
Not certain where you got your info from but they haven't rewarded any contracts yet nor have they created any infrastructure yet. If they started prepping the site TODAY the first reactor wouldn't be operating by 2017.

Probably from mis informed people.

Schedule    |    A South Korean consortium won a deal to build and operate nuclear reactors. The KEPCO-led consortium includes Hyundai Engineering and Construction, Samsung C&T Corp, Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction, and Westinghouse Electric. The consortium will design, build and run reactors. Work is expected to begin in 2012 and completed in 2020. The reactors are expected to start supplying power to the UAE grid in 2017.

No clue how those reactors are supposed to be on the grid three years before completion lol, but it does look like kepco has a contract with them for APR's

drayer54

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:53 »
Probably from mis informed people.

Schedule    |    A South Korean consortium won a deal to build and operate nuclear reactors. The KEPCO-led consortium includes Hyundai Engineering and Construction, Samsung C&T Corp, Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction, and Westinghouse Electric. The consortium will design, build and run reactors. Work is expected to begin in 2012 and completed in 2020. The reactors are expected to start supplying power to the UAE grid in 2017.

No clue how those reactors are supposed to be on the grid three years before completion lol, but it does look like kepco has a contract with them for APR's
They have had ads up for jobs for the last few months on US job sites. Regardless of when they are pulling rods, they are already filling positions.

http://nuclearstreet.com/jobs/jobs_detail.aspx?Job_ID=4710

(I wouldn't normally reference a job ad from another competing site, but it does prove the point and nuclearstreet isn't 1/100th as cool as this site so Rennhack shouldn't worry)

oalsayari

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 03:47 »
By completion they meant having the fourth reactor on the grid.  Starting from 2017 'till 2020 a reactor will be made on the grid every year.  My source for this information is www.enec.gov.ae, the utility company's website.

Murphy: You are right..it is a Korean consortium  ::). And I also found out that the training will be at the Shin-Kori APR1400 reactors in South Korea. 

Can anyone be kind enough to advice on the SRO license training?  If this is already discussed in this forum, can someone post the thread for that discussion? I will really appreciate that.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 03:55 »
By completion they meant having the fourth reactor on the grid.  Starting from 2017 'till 2020 a reactor will be made on the grid every year.  My source for this information is www.enec.gov.ae, the utility company's website.

Murphy: You are right..it is a Korean consortium  ::). And I also found out that the training will be at the Shin-Kori APR1400 reactors in South Korea. 

Can anyone be kind enough to advice on the SRO license training?  If this is already discussed in this forum, can someone post the thread for that discussion? I will really appreciate that.

dude, international affair, non NRC regulated reactors, bringing SRO's from non nuclear background... Its highly unlikely you will find someone that can truly relate to your experience...  Barring that, theres hundreds of SRO threads, just search like we would if we were going to get you posts.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27 »
dude, international affair, non NRC regulated reactors, bringing SRO's from non nuclear background... Its highly unlikely you will find someone that can truly relate to your experience...  Barring that, theres hundreds of SRO threads, just search like we would if we were going to get you posts.

Exactly, I am not sure what you are looking for. Advice on what? Study harder than you ever have, that is about all I have for you. If you've never been around a nuke before, you are in for a rude awakening. That is, of course, assuming they have similar standards to licensing in the USA. But jumping into an SRO class without any sort of nuclear experience is a tall order. All we can say is good luck!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:38 »
That is, of course, assuming they have similar standards to licensing in the USA.

If they don't, D&D and cleanup work could be lucrative for some of us ;)

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22 »
Hi

I am offered an interview at ENEC, the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, a new nuclear energy corporation in the United Arab Emirates.  I will be interviewed for a a licensed SRO trainee position. If accepted I will undergo an 18 month intensive (mostly on job) training program. The training includes simulator training as well.
Any advice for the interview?  Does anyone have any insights about the transition from natural gas processing to nuclear plant operations? They are surely two different things but operations is operations, right?

No.  They are different.  Vastly different.  If you had some prior power generation experience (e.g. steam plant wise) then you could relate the secondary side of the nuclear operation.  But, you do not.  Even then 'Operations' still wouldn't be operations.  It still would be a huge difference.

One more thing before I go.  How do you think the training is going to proceed when you have a communication barrier (i.e. language) with the instructors?  It would be hard in a field you have experience (i.e. dealing with a communication barrier).  It just made the training 1050 times harder than it would have already been.  Which is darn near impossible (i.e. Instant SRO).

Okay, I'll pack up my "johnny-rain-cloud" bag and move on now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:23 by MacGyver »

oalsayari

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:26 »
No it is ok.  I am here to hear the argument and the counter-argument.  The language barrier was a concern to me.  But I came to know that the training program is being established by an american licensed SRO.  His linkedin page states that he has established training programs for a number of nuclear facilities in the US.  He was a training director for Florida Power Corp, Exelon Corp and he held various positions in the fields of Nuclear Ops and training.  I hope he is equally ignorant in Korean and would have considered hiring English speaking instructors.

We did have a power generation unit in our gas plant.  Gas turbine driven generators, 10 MW each.  That's peanuts of course compared to the APR1400 capacity of 1400 MW.  But hey, its something.  Also I worked extensivly with boilers and steam systems as we use steam for heating purposes.  Our plant has the capacity to generate 360 Tonnes/hr.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08 »
If you indeed have this job, it may be prudent for you to start now, starting with fundamentals. You are a severe disadvantage coming in if they hire you... Your little boiler operations are meaningless on so many levels. In fact the only real comparison you have is you are ultimately boiling water and making steam... thats where the similarities end.

Theres a lot of intelligent and highly qualified people here that would be able to assist you, Id recommend utilyzing that resource while its available to you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:09 by Charlie Murphy »

oalsayari

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23 »
And I need all the help I could get...My first goal is to get the trainee position. 
I will start with the fundamentals as soon as I am told I am accepted.
I know I will be disadvantaged, but most everyone else they are hiring.
They posted in their website that they are looking for UAE nationals with +2 years experience in oil and gas or power gen with a four year engineering degree.  They settled for this group of "disadvantageous" candidates because so far there are no nuclear plants in the UAE.
I should consider myself lucky for getting an opportunity for an interview knowing what you folks had to go through to become licensed SRO's.

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 03:29 »
Remember back in the late 80s and early 90s when a Basque nationalist group in Spain opposed the building of a nuclear plant in what they considered to be a Basque region and started executing License trainees at random?

Just something to consider.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 06:24 »
I missed that one,...

So I casted about and found this;

December 1977: Basque separatists set off bombs damaging the reactor vessel and a steam generator and killing two workers at the Lemoniz nuclear power plant under construction in Spain.

Seems that it wasn't a problem when King Juan Carlos had a strong leader keeping things orderly in Spain...Viva El Caudillo, Francisco Franco! ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 08:03 »

WRONG. Start now....

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 10:04 »
And I need all the help I could get...My first goal is to get the trainee position. 

WRONG. Start now.... 

CM is correct, even with a BSCE you need to start on the fundamentals now if you expect to get through a tough licensing program.  Given your 6 years in a gas processing facility, you've probabally forgotten a lot of what got you to the BS.

YMO   [dowave]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

oalsayari

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36 »
Fair enough  +K
I will start with the DOE Handbook for Nuclear physics and reactor theory.

MacGyver

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47 »
Fair enough  +K
I will start with the DOE Handbook for Nuclear physics and reactor theory.

DOE Handbooks

I am sure you know how to get to them but for those that need a little help the link above is provided to ensure you arrive at the right spot for said documents.

Oalsayari please don't stop there.  You will need to have a big foundation in the fundamentals.

If you think that is really unnecessary then please let me give you a different impression.  My company now forces all new initial licensee's to go through the System Operator (non-licensed) training to get the fundamentals and basic systems training before they attempt a license class.

You would be surprised (from what I am told) how much of it they just don't recall or have never been exposed too.  These are smart individuals, such as, ChemE's, MechE's, ElectE's and etc.  Time will tell if it improves our company pass rate.  From my perspective it should greatly improve their chances of success.

As CM said, now is the best time to put in the efforts to get through all the important DOE Handbooks.

Pass it along to your future classmates.

Mac

Edit: Link was updated to reflect a change in address
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011, 12:19 by MacGyver »

oalsayari

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 02:06 »
Sure will, and I appreciate you sharing your perspective with me.  Thanks for the link.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34 »
Go to the NRC website and search for generic fundamentals.  General Physics corporation has some good training material if you know anyone with them.

oalsayari

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 11:30 »
Jams723: I went to the NRC website. When I searched for "generic fundamentals" I found a PDF file containing a list of more than 5000 competencies (K/A). Is that the document for which I'm looking?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 12:56 »

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing.html

Upper right are links to PWR and BWR exam banks. However, without a background in nuke, you likely won't have an easy time with it. But working with those DOE handbooks and trying to decipher what the questions are asking could prove educational.

Good luck.

oalsayari

« Reply #28 on: Jun 01, 2011, 06:20 »
Thanks man.  I am on it.

oalsayari

« Reply #29 on: Jun 13, 2011, 02:13 »
I went on the interview and I am told that I have been shortlisted.  Next step is security clearance.  I was interviewed by four licensed SRO's, three of which are Americans and one Korean and two HR personnel. 

flblasted

« Reply #30 on: Jun 13, 2011, 07:14 »
Hope you get it!  If you do be sure to keep us updated, I'm very interested in how other countries do nuke power.

reactorpro

« Reply #31 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:06 »
The UAE is building a modified System 80+ called Braka Units 1 and 2. Some of the mods are:
50Hz instead of 60Hz, Toshiba Turbine, Higher Backpressure Condensers (Arabia Sea is hot water), Sand Separators on all HVAC Intakes (doubt they will work well), Turbine Building has 9 Chillers for Air Cooling, Safety Injection Tanks have Flow Controllers that give a Rapid Injection for Refill (following Large Break), then a Lower Flow Injection, Higher Flow Circulating Water System, Seawater Bypass System to keep the Delta T down for the hot Circulating Water return to the Sea, Higher MTC Fuel SAFDLS, etc. This is a hot weather plant in a location prone to have blinding sandstorms. I'm not sure why they are gung-ho on building it. I wouldn't want to qualify on that one in the middle of no where - but Good Luck!

M1Ark

« Reply #32 on: Jul 05, 2011, 01:34 »

UAE folks from ENEC will be at my plant all week this week.  I have lunch with them everyday and have a 1 hour one on one interview.  Not sure why they are here or why they are talking to me but it was set up by my station leadership.  They already broke ground in Braqa and real contraction early 2012. They signed a contract in the last 30 days in excess of 5b.  I think the decision has been made.  I'll pm you with details after the week is up BZ.

M1Ark

« Reply #33 on: Jul 06, 2011, 10:20 »

They are breaking ground Oct. 2011. Building 3 simulators... One in the city for LOIT and 2 at the plant for LOCT. BZ you know the hiring manager.  He knows you.

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:26 »
LOL is he one of those who knows me in the sense that he'd gladly shoot me if he had a chance?

Or is he on the other side of the fence and he'd say You're hired Mikey?

How's things out PV way?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:25 »
LOL is he one of those who knows me in the sense that he'd gladly shoot me if he had a chance?

Or is he on the other side of the fence and he'd say You're hired Mikey?

How's things out PV way?
Whaddya mean Mikey? You're the site's teddy bear ;)

Non abrasive and a total hugger, you are!

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:29 »
They are breaking ground Oct. 2011. Building 3 simulators... One in the city for LOIT and 2 at the plant for LOCT. BZ you know the hiring manager.  He knows you.

Everyone "knows"  Mike.... Some of us more than others ... LOL... But that is a sea story.

PV, I know a few people out there.

M1Ark

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2011, 05:30 »
I'll wager a buttery cinnamon roll the Emirates ends up building a French design like the Chinese did at Daya Bay, and grabs 20 hot licensed guys out of Germany.

I'll take that wager.

M1Ark

« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2011, 05:34 »

Talked to UAE folks, Mike. Breaking ground October 2011. UAE builds islands, tallest buildings in the world type stuff. There WILL be 4 Reactors by 2020. Not sure if they'll have a staff to run them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?