Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Like button  

Author Topic: Like button  (Read 47774 times)

chesnee

Like button
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:52 »
Wish Nukeworker had Like buttons you can move this to whatever appropriate board you would like but I'm just saying There is alot of posts I would love to like ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:14 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Like button
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:16 »
We have Karma but only Gold members can use it.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:24 »
At the top right corner of every page there is a share button , if you click on that, it will give you the option to share it with other folks.

I'll look into a like button, but before I do, please explain exactly what you mean, and how you think it would work.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:08 »
I think she means the LIKE button that Facebook has for posts or comments. Its a thumbs-up button that appears under posts and comments.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:27 »
Site has been just fine for over a decade without one

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:48 »
It's harder than you think to do it (at least, to do it right).

First, I will have to upgrade the website to the beta version of our forum software. (That's the hard part).  Once I get it upgraded, I should be able to add the like button.  The time line would be a few weeks.

Bottom line, I'll do it.  But This summer is hectic, so I don't know when it will be finished.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:01 »
Ill be "that guy" and say it. This is crap. Half the point of gold membership is the ability to give karma. If you make a "like" button you are effectively removing that priviledge.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:32 »
Ill be "that guy" and say it. This is crap. Half the point of gold membership is the ability to give karma. If you make a "like" button you are effectively removing that priviledge.

I concur....

If you want to use a "like" button, become a gold member!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 05:58 »

I concur....
If you want to use a "like" button, become a gold member! 

I've got to go along with that!  This is not facebook or the 'Yahoo News'!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 06:26 »
If there were a "like" button, I would have liked the previous 3 posts.  8)

That said, I think you are melding two ideas. Karma is a personal thing, "Like" or "thanking" is separate from that to recognize a good or helpful post. What I thought of when I read about this is androidforums.com where they have a "thanks" button on each post, and if people like the post or found it helpful, they could "thank" the poster by hitting the button.

For example, here is a post where many people "thanked" the poster.

http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/301064-must-have-apps-thunderbolt.html

I see a benefit of having both Karma, and "thanks" or "like." Like I said, we use Karma for something different than I see us using a "like" or "thanks."

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:31 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 06:45 »
I agree with you to an extent. you can "like" a post and not have it be anything personal behind, but you can do the same with karma as well, albeit thats not normally what happens. 

Its an area thats a shade of gray, and comes too close to comfort for a feature we pay for. the issue, the "like" feature is registered the same as karma is here. "this user has been liked XXX times". I guess the only real discernible difference is you cannot "dislike" a post, whereas here, you can :p

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 06:55 »
I agree with the "we pay for Karma" sentiment.

However, what I am saying is that I think the "like" and "karma" are two different things. Then again, I am not real sure. If it is tallied like Karma, then what is the point?

If it is tallied in just the "liked" post, like the example above, then I can see it being an added benefit. IE a noobie is reading a post that has been liked 20 times... it is probably good indication that it has good info in it. Karma doesn't really distinguish posts like that.

We will just have to see what Mike comes up with.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:55 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 07:14 »
I agree with the "we pay for Karma" sentiment.

However, what I am saying is that I think the "like" and "karma" are two different things. Then again, I am not real sure. If it is tallied like Karma, then what is the point?

If it is tallied in just the "liked" post, like the example above, then I can see it being an added benefit. IE a noobie is reading a post that has been liked 20 times... it is probably good indication that it has good info in it. Karma doesn't really distinguish posts like that.

We will just have to see what Mike comes up with.

ohhhh I see now. Ok. From that standpoint that makes sense.  hed have to do a "top rated" post in each section though.

drayer54

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 08:48 »
Why don't you guys check out this trendy site called www.facebook.com and click the like button a few times or a thousand times.

Get it out of your system. You can even like everything in the Nukeworker.com group
Just don't like it twice or else you... well, you'll figure it out.

This is nukeworker.com where we have a karma system for this kind of thing.  

It reminds me of those instant polls on TV where people hit the green button when they like what they see and the red button for the opposite.

If this makes you happy or all giddy inside, you can hit the green button. If not, ignore it. If it offends you or is just plain stupid, hit the red button.

I like how this isn't facebook, because if I wanted facebook.... I'd go to facebook.

(It's also not eHarmony haha)

@ M.R., Thanks for not using a like button.  (so far*)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:24 by Drayer »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 09:11 »
Too bad he said he'll do It. Now all those words I don't read seem like a waste.

drayer54

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 09:25 »

The other half is PolySci....

the first thing I am going to do is not like this thread....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:26 by Drayer »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 09:39 »
I've got to go along with that!  This is not facebook or the 'Yahoo News'!

Actually, I visit Yahoo News often, and one of the things I like about it is that you can + or - each post (and I do! ;). "Like" by itself isn't nearly as effective a social feedback tool as a + or - system

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 10:35 »
If you really look close, the OP was asking for more than just a 'like' button!  She was asking for a 'like' and ability to transfer "much like Yahoo News" to her other "social networking sites", as in, look what Justin, Hydro, or CM, etc., just said to (or about) me!
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 10:45 »
If you really look close, the OP was asking for more than just a 'like' button!  She was asking for a 'like' and ability to transfer "much like Yahoo News" to her other "social networking sites", as in, look what Justin, Hydro, or CM, etc., just said to (or about) me!

Hence the allergic reaction! ;)

Just as long as we don't allow Twitter-bating to get posted INto Nukeworker, such as when you read a new article online, and the comment section is full of idiots posting the very topic of the article back into the article. Or those stupid Myspace Mafia families, or sleazy IMVU/Evony ads (although, if we patched Nukeworker into SecondLife, maybe some of Charlie's wild alternate reality theories on reactor operations could work! That's it, we'll set up our own SecondLife electric utility, and bill users based on virtual energy demand....hmmm, thic could work.....  :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:53 by HydroDave63 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 11:17 »
derek go read justins explanation. It makes sense from that aspect. Our karma system is based on how we like an idividuals response or how we feel about them a particular day. The "like" system will allow users to search for top rated posts on a given subject vs an individuals karma. As long as it doesnt become a rating system, it doesnt infringe on gold member privledges (how the hell do you spell that word lol)... Its ok in that aspect.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 11:37 »
However, what I am saying is that I think the "like" and "karma" are two different things. Then again, I am not real sure..  

Hence the allergic reaction! ;)

:->  RAPBR:  I really think the OP is a tweet/twitter, facebook, etc. type that has just joined another 'network' for the sake of being "in" and wants the same options as other 'social networking" sites provide!  JMO   :trollbash:

Just look at the OP stats!   [dowave]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:43 by OldHP »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 12:14 »
Wow, this thread is on fire.

If I implemented it, it would be with this mod:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2543

And look like this:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:21 by Rennhack »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 12:18 »
Wow, this thread is on fire.

If I implemented it, it would be with this mod:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2543

Oh definitely not then. As drayer said, this isnt facebook...

BUT I digress, its your site, you do what you feel will better the site.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 12:22 »
Oh definitely not then. As drayer said, this isnt facebook...

BUT I digress, its your site, you do what you feel will better the site.

It might be an interesting experiment.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 12:25 »
Any way to do it with plus and minus or some sort of negative feedback tally?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?