Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Like button honeypot

Author Topic: Like button  (Read 47778 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Like button
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01 »
We could always go with this one, which just gives posts star ratings based on how people rate it, kinda like how you rate the pictures in our photo gallery:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1313

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:09 by Rennhack »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 01:02 »
Yeah, that isn't what I was hoping for. But hey... I am not emotional about it like some. Also, we are limited by what the SMF people come up with for mods.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:03 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 01:10 »
Well, I've offered two very different options.  You can't please all the people all the time.

Additionally, there isn't a reason we couldn't do BOTH if that pleased the most people.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:11 by Rennhack »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 01:14 »
Sorry I mean the "like to facebook" thing. There others are fine.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 06:17 »
We could always go with this one, which just gives posts star ratings based on how people rate it, kinda like how you rate the pictures in our photo gallery:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1313

I'm in favor of that proposal :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25 »
I'm in favor of that proposal :)
its only good if you can arrange the forum to display high to low :)

Oh yeah, with 5 stars it will inevitably become like the youtube rating system. Everyone would put 5 stars or 1 star. Effectively "Like" or "dislike". Id bet that would happen here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:28 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 08:24 »
With all due respect to everyone that has posted prior to this, could we have an " I don't give a D@#n" post?  Speaking strickly for myself, often times I just don't give a d@#n about the question / issue at hand.  Perhaps such an option could help channel the whole thing to a better area of the site to be addressed?
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 08:32 »
With all due respect to everyone that has posted prior to this, could we have an " I don't give a D@#n" post?  Speaking strickly for myself, often times I just don't give a d@#n about the question / issue at hand.  Perhaps such an option could help channel the whole thing to a better area of the site to be addressed?

If we had that, I'd use it here. :P

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 11:26 »
Not that it matters,but I think the whole idea just seems to degrade the site to a less professional level.

Just another worthless opinion.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 11:39 »
Not that it matters, but I think the whole idea just seems to degrade the site to a less professional level.
Just another worthless opinion. 

Becomes another 'Tweet', 'Twitter', 'Facebook', etc. for the kids to grab onto!  Where they can "communicate" with professional people!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09 »
With all due respect to everyone that has posted prior to this, could we have an " I don't give a D@#n" post?  Speaking strickly for myself, often times I just don't give a d@#n about the question / issue at hand.  Perhaps such an option could help channel the whole thing to a better area of the site to be addressed?

In the next version of the software, you will have the ability to ignore stuff.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09 »
Less professional how, exactly? Many professionals use those devices for networking and other business these days.

It is the 21st century. We should try not to be Luddites, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:11 by TheHiggs »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49 »
I am no Luddite,  I have been knee deep in technology all my adult life.  To me all the 'Hey look at me' crap associated with the social networking sites is childish and self-centered. It is my opinion only. It may change at some point in the future, but I sincerely doubt it.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28 »
I am no Luddite,  I have been knee deep in technology all my adult life.  To me all the 'Hey look at me' crap associated with the social networking sites is childish and self-centered. It is my opinion only. It may change at some point in the future, but I sincerely doubt it.

Funny... I actually agree. I think the Karma is enough... Don't much care one way or another if my posts are liked or disliked... That's not why I post, obviously.
 [hypno] [hypno] [hypno]

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 07:20 »
Funny... I actually agree. I think the Karma is enough... Don't much care one way or another if my posts are liked or disliked... That's not why I post, obviously.

Option #2 isn't meant to tell you if some one liked your post, its to tell others that the post was helpful or not.

Kinda like the product ratings on Amazon, you would look at the 4 and 5 star products before the 1 and 2 star products.

And option 1 is more of a viral marketing thing, its to attract new people to the site, it also isn't meant to tell you that people like you.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:22 by Rennhack »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 07:32 »
"the times... they are a-changin..."

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 07:43 »
This may help to break up the good ol' boys club that permeates the site.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 08:07 »

oh you mean the people that have been here for 5 years + who have developed a comraderie together, who have shared good and bad times, who develop each other personally and professionally?

Yeah I can see how thats a bad thing :p

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 10:18 »

Oh!  And you've been here for less than 2 months and you think it is a good ol' boys club?
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 10:37 »
Oh!  And you've been here for less than 2 months and you think it is a good ol' boys club?

nah, hes been here for a while. he had a bunch of negative karma, so he started over. I mean, clearly once you hit negative karma you can never go back, right? :p

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21 »
My all-important karma ratio was somewhere near 2 or 3 to 1 when I originally took a break, but thanks to you CM for another baseless post.

I failed my "add value" mantra in the previous post, so here's that:  I can't wait for the option to ignore specific persons/trolls/clowns/etc.

Other forums have successfully utilized the "like" feature and I'm sure it could work here as well.  However, there may be too many options (similar to all those icons) and NW may be reaching that saturation/threshold.  Then again, getting rid of the karma program could do interesting things, but I realize that would take memberships and $$$ away from Mike and co. so I understand why it remains.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37 »
Then again, getting rid of the karma program could do interesting things,

That was tried not too long ago....
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?