Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Germany to decide on nuclear phase-out plans  

Author Topic: Germany to decide on nuclear phase-out plans  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Germany to decide on nuclear phase-out plans
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:59 »

Chancellor Angela Merkel's ruling coalition is expected on Sunday to formulate a timetable for closing Germany's nuclear power plants and a plan for replacing their output.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/29/us-germany-nuclear-idUSTRE74Q2P120110529

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Germany to decide on nuclear phase-out plans
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:43 »
The discussion I listened to this morning (on that bastion of Right-Wing thinking -- NPR) had both parties in the conversation agreeing that Germany will likely have to substitute coal for some of the nuclear plants that will be shut down. Gotta love those Green Party heavy thinkers.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RTRT

• Light User
Re: Germany to decide on nuclear phase-out plans
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37 »
Switzerland is also talking about phasing out their nukes......

"The Swiss government announced Wednesday that it will cancel reactor projects and gradually phase out existing plants, making it the second European country after Germany to constrain its nuclear industry in the aftermath of the Fukushima Daiichi crisis in Japan.

The New York Times and other international media reported that the Swiss cabinet will halt approvals for new nuclear plants, including three reactors that had been in the licensing process. Additionally, it decided to close existing nuclear plants at the end of their design lives, with the last going dark in 2034.

The European response to the tsunami-triggered station blackout and multiple-reactor accident at Fukushima Daiichi has been mixed, with France firmly retaining its longtime support for nuclear technology and Germany shutting down its oldest plants while indicating it will phase out the rest. The European Union has announced it will conduct “stress tests” on the continent's nuclear plants, and individual countries have vowed independently to review reactor safety in the context of natural disasters. Nonetheless, large anti-nuclear protests have taken place in Switzerland and elsewhere, and the technology has lost some of the political support gained in recent years as countries aim to reduce carbon emissions.

In Switzerland, nuclear provides 40 percent of the country's power. Its plants produce a combined 3,252 megawatts from three pressurized water reactors and two boiling water reactors built between 1969 and 1984, according to the World Nuclear Association."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?