Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu IAEA simulator suite honeypot

Author Topic: IAEA simulator suite  (Read 8623 times)

Offline innovine

• Light User
IAEA simulator suite
« on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:37 »
Hi all,
 I wonder if anyone could be so kind as to supply me with a copy of the IAEA Simulator suite? I see from their website (http://www.iaea.org/NuclearPower/Technology/Training/Simulators/) that they provide this for free, but you have to fill in forms and get them stamped, and I'm not sure it applies to individuals anyway. I'm not connected with any nuclear organizations, I'm just curious about reactors and their operation and would like to try out the sim for my own education and entertainment....
If anyone can help then that would be great!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: IAEA simulator suite
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2011, 01:25 »
I don't know anything about that, but here is something that USED to work..., I don't know if it still does because the site doesn't appear to be maintained anymore. It is basic and simple and might give you something to start with.

http://www.pipeline.com/~rstater/nuke6a.html

Hope that helps.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline innovine

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:04 »
Hey Justin, thanks for the reply. I checked out the link you provided and it may work, I'm not sure. I at least got the PWR reactor trainer up on screen, but nothing seemed to happen when I ran the simulation. Most functionality was disabled anyway due to it being a demo.

What I like about the IAEA software (at least, from what I can see from the screenshots and from reading the manual) is that it gives an insight into the running of the whole plant, not just the reactor core itself, and contained quite detailed failure simulation too.

Update: IAEA replied and said that they don't make it available for individuals :(  But I'm still hopeful someone will help me out :)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:11 »
Well, good luck! Considering we have real simulators it is unlikely anyone at a commericial nuke actually uses the IAEA stuff. I could be wrong!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline innovine

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:25 »
If you want to send me a real simulator then I'd be pretty happy :)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:30 »
If you want to send me a real simulator then I'd be pretty happy :)

I don't think you get what I mean.

At a commercial nuke, we have full sized replicas of the control rooms running sophiticated software to simulate the actual plant.

For 25 million or so, someone would probably build you one. :)

Justin

Offline innovine

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:31 »
Do you have tours? :)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:45 »
You could try contacting your local utility. Usually not, but if you know someone, maybe they could bring you by.

Justin

Offline innovine

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2011, 03:33 »
I talked my way into a commercial flight simulator once, but I think this might be out of my league :)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2011, 03:49 »
Yeah its not a matter of secrecy or anything, it is a matter of finding someone having time and the simulator being available. It is almost always in use for training or testing.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?