Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu De-Nuked. Options? honeypot

Author Topic: De-Nuked. Options?  (Read 30018 times)

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
Re: De-Nuked. Options?
« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2011, 04:03 »
Just to toss in a perspective. If your BF/hubby/whatever decided to get out and go to work for a company that is a government (more specifically defense) contractor, they will know what the DD214 is and means. IF said job requires a security clearance, they WILL find out what the circumstances are, do not lie. PERIOD.

There are many options out there. If y'all are fed up with nuclear, you can find non-nuclear jobs. My personal advice, based on the inputs from the OP, use the GI bill. Go to school get the college degree, most preferably an Engineering degree. That will open many doors, both in the Nuclear industry, and non-nuclear industry. The future prospects for degreed engineers are quite good. There is a global shortage of Engineers. Even more so in the US and Europe. Especially for Engineers from good quality schools.

As for cross rating, that's between you two. If you like the Navy, go for it. Just bear in mind that life as a non-Nuke is vastly different than as a Nuke. Two different worlds.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

NukeLuke

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2011, 01:06 »
My highly tuned Make Crap Up senses indicate less than full disclosure here.

:( Im sorry...this really is all I know. If I knew more, Id certainly share because if you look at it, its not just his skin that on the line, its mine too once we're married in March. Im just worried is all, and was trying to figure things out to try to help him in the long run. the 15 minutes we had on the phone before his ship left while people are around is NOT the best place to discuss such things.

NukeLuke

« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2011, 01:14 »
This guy could dig ditches for a living and they would be the best damn ditches out there!

@ the caring wife,

This separation process will probably be a lengthy one and you should have plenty of time to get a plan. Except for the late-great- :P Charlie Murphy, I never saw anyone get out fast for anything like this. He should have plenty of time to get a resume together and work with you to develop a plan. Use this time to save up for any time that he isn't working and just prepare yourself for the transition. He can find work somewhere and you'll be fine in the long run. This whole thing probably has him stressed on the boat so being supportive for him is probably what he wants now. Don't feel like you need to be running a 40 yard dash to a new job.
If you go to www.indeed.com and type in navy electrician, you'll find some options outside of nuke plants. This site has a pretty decent job forum as well for the nuclear stuff. These guys can argue all day over how the HR will look at him, but it's going to vary by job and location and there is no point stressing the hypothetical situations right now. Just do what you can to prepare and make his life easier right now.

Good Luck to you,
THank you. :) Im not a wife yet, but we've been dating for 5 years so I might as well be one. lol Thank ya'll for your help and advice..Im sorry I am not able to tell ya'll anything more. Wish I could...but I dont know anything else/

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2011, 05:01 »
BY the way, I admire any lady who is looking out for the best interests of her significant other.

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Jun 11, 2011, 03:36 »
Just got out of the Navy and did job hunting about 2 months ago. The job market is not down for navy nukes at all. I got called from so many different jobs by just posting my resume on monster. I also had 8 other nukes separating with me at the same time and everyone got a job about a month out of their separation date.  Look at the steel companies like Nucor or tire companies like michelin and firestone or you can contact a job placement company like Bradley Morris who is in the business of getting people jobs no cost to you. I did alot of interviews and the majority of them wanted someone with an electrical background you will be fine.

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
« Reply #30 on: Jun 12, 2011, 01:09 »
The semiconductor manufacturing industry likes ex-Navy nukes as maintenance technicians, too.
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?