Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu When am I going to start working?

Author Topic: When am I going to start working?  (Read 14918 times)

jrp051680

When am I going to start working?
« on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:39 »
First post here and I must say this site helped me a ton in getting my internship. However, I'm curious/worried about a few things.

I interviewed for a TVA internship in systems engineering on 4/26/2011. I have a BS in business admin and am currently a Junior in Mechanical Engineering. I nailed the interview and two weeks later was offered the position at Sequoyah. I was contacted a week later (5/10/2011) by HR to fill out all the paperwork etc..I did that and was told the background check would take 1-3 weeks. A week (5/17/2011) after submitting my paperwork I was contacted by a talent manager and given a contract. I signed the contract and sent it back the same day. I asked the man what the time frame would be for me to start. He said the background check had begun and it is typically 2 weeks and he would contact me regarding the drug screen. Its now 6/6/2011 and I have been sitting around idle for almost a month going broke waiting to start working. This contract is only supposed to run through 8/31/2011 and I have 2 accelerated summer classes starting 6/29/2011 that are going to affect my work hours. I know Lexis Nexis has contacted all of my references regarding my background check at least week ago. I don't understand what is taking so long.  How am I supposed to be of any use in my department if I only work for a month and a half? Can anybody shed some light on this process for me? TIA

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: When am I going to start working?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:41 »
Did you try calling them?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

jrp051680

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2011, 02:27 »
Ive called the HR rep as well as the talent guy. Have not gotten a call back.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2011, 02:52 »
Nuc power in general and specifically TVA HR is notoriously slow.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2011, 03:19 »
Little things like moving outage dates and tornados seem to make a difference when bringing in interns.

I'll also submit I've never really seen an intern make a difference in a department.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2011, 03:24 »
Little things like moving outage dates and tornados seem to make a difference when bringing in interns.

I'll also submit I've never really seen an intern make a difference in a department.

I hear they are pretty good for riding with line crews and carrying stuff though ;)

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2011, 04:08 »
If they know you have classes starting in a couple weeks its my bet they're not working too hard on your background check.

Offline UTKNuke

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2011, 11:13 »
Edited.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011, 09:17 by UTKNuke »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2011, 12:11 »
I know exactly who you are dealing with HR wise. I have had to deal with the same group of people for my internship with TVA this summer. They are struggling from horribly incompetent workers.

I think I see a new opening this summer ;)

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011, 09:22 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2011, 08:59 »
I know exactly who you are dealing with HR wise. I have had to deal with the same group of people for my internship with TVA this summer. They are struggling from horribly incompetent workers.

Exactly what qualifies you to make is awesomely ignorant statement?

Wanna bet it makes it into some hands that YOU'D prefer it not make it into?

I bet I can guarantee it does.

matthew.b

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2011, 10:14 »

The utility management decided to pull the plug on the plant while I was an intern.  I hope I wasn't the one who made the difference in that case :P

Offline storm13

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2011, 11:00 »

Exactly what qualifies you to make is awesomely ignorant statement?

Wanna bet it makes it into some hands that YOU'D prefer it not make it into?

I bet I can guarantee it does.

It's certainly one thing to vent frustrations on a totally anonymous forum, but when you vent about specific situations that only a small handful (at most) of people could have experienced, it's not exactly anonymous any longer, is it?

I see crap stuff like that on Facebook all the time, someone vents about their boss, only to have their boss see it because they're a friend of another friend...
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011, 12:48 by storm13 »

Offline Karl

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2011, 01:20 »

Sun Dog

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2011, 01:33 »
Too Late to Edit...

It is never too late to blame the RPs though.

Offline UTKNuke

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2011, 03:01 »
My statement was out of line and was not aimed at TVA as a whole. It was a means to vent my frustration with a situation that I am/was going through. There is no excuse for it.

I respect TVA as one of the only electric utilities who is actively expanding their nuclear power profile and reducing their carbon footprint. My experience has been wonderful when interacting with co-workers in my work environment as the company overall. I am only concerned with the specific individual in an specific department. I hope my statement does not reflect poorly on my university and myself too greatly.

I hope that the topic creator of this thread can start working soon. I did not mean to hack jack your thread. I would suggest attempting to contact the HR Representative until you get a response back.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2011, 03:13 »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2011, 01:11 »
I figured he might have a public change of heart.

Offline NoogaTiger

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2011, 03:03 »
I am going through the hire in/waiting on a start date process as well.
I'm also at a TVA construction project, so I know that pushing or getting anxious doesn't make things happen.
I know that in my case, there have been times when they've been hard to get in touch with, you've just got to continue to call.
I also know that the HR person that I'm dealing with is working as hard as she can to get the group in.
Just keep calling, understand that they're dealing with more than just you, and they're doing all they can.

To the guy who just attempted career suicide, hope you learned a lesson while staying anonymous.

jrp051680

« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:07 »
I still haven't started yet or received a call back. Ive attempted to call and email everyone that I have had contact with 5 times a piece. I even called the supervisor listed on my contract who I've yet to meet. I'm trying to be optimistic but not holding my breath. I got a call to setup an interview with C&P attachments here in Chattanooga and Im going but not real sure how to handle a potential offer as technically I have a signed contract with TVA.

Thanks for the heads up on them being extra slow with my background check because of my class schedule (which is a stupid statement) but they have been aware of this since about 3 minutes after my interview started on 4/26 . Maybe I wont make a difference in my department but it sure would be nice to have some idea WTH is going on before my contract is up. Whats the point of even hiring interns to work for a month? Yea yea besides getting coffee...

I hear they are pretty good for riding with line crews and carrying stuff though ;)

No problem with this at all. I would much rather be with riding around working in the field carrying stuff than sitting in an office watching the clock..

Offline NoogaTiger

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:54 »
Man, sounds like a decision, fortunately for you it's an internship, not a long term deal. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, all you can do is keep trying to call. If you can't afford to wait, that's your call. You'd just have to weigh the current funds situation vs the experience you'd lose/gain. Sorry you're having such difficulty. Just keep trying to make contact until you have to make a choice, then make one.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?