Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu PWR differences.

Author Topic: PWR differences.  (Read 11789 times)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
PWR differences.
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 07:24 »
Friends,

I am licensing on a Westinghouse 3 looper..., can anyone tell me what the major differences are between a Westinghouse PWR and a CE PWR?

Thanks

Justin

PS CM you don't know, so don't reply. :P
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

Re: PWR differences.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2011, 07:35 »
Two pumps per loop. 2 Loops. A few different RPS parameters mostly due to OTDT and OPDT.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2011, 07:38 »
A lot less than I thought! Thanks BZ!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Pman52

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2011, 08:22 »
A few different RPS parameters mostly due to OTDT and OPDT.

Can you please explain this a little more?  What does OTDT and OPDT stand for?  Thanks!

EDIT: Just did a quick search and found Over Temperature Delta Temperature (OTDT) and Over Power Delta Temperature (OPDT).  This was referring to trip functions.

But I guess I still would like to know more if you wouldn't mind explaining...
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2011, 08:29 by Pman52 »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2011, 08:40 »
They are sliding RPS set points based on not exceeding certain limits. By Sliding I mean the lower the power the higher the set point. OTDT (Over Temperature Delta Temperature) means for a certain power based on Delta T across the core you can only have a certain temperature for a certain pressure. Power based on Delta T, RCS Pressure, Tave, and Delta Flux (The difference between power in the top and bottom of the core) are all mixed into an equation, if these parameters are outside a certain band for a given Delta T they generate a setpoint change. At 100% power the Setpoint is about 115% or so.  This doesn't necessarily mean 115% power it's simply a setpoint. It's designed to prevent core boiling. One common question we like to ask PWR Operators is if you have a rapidly lowering Pressurizer Pressure what causes the reactor to scram? Most say Low Pzr Pressure. In fact in most cases OTDT will get you first because lowering pressure rapidly changes the setpoint downward.

OPDT is OverPower Delta Temperature. It looks at the same stuff as OTDT with the exception of Pressure. It's not so much a thermal limit to protect from core boiling. It's there to protect the fuel from melting. At 100% its setpoint is about 108.7%

Delta T is used as it's the best quickest way to get power in the core.

It's pretty cool watching the meters move as we maneuver the plant around.

IIRC in a CE plant they use a Core Protection Calculator which I believe calculates similar setpoints.

CE EOPs are nearly identical to Westinghouse EOPs though the rules of usage are a bit different.

They have identical Rod Control Systems and the NRC considers them to be nearly equivalent plants.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2011, 08:50 »
Ah good to know! And, I am at the point in my license class that I totally understood what you posted about OP/OTDT. ;D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2011, 01:05 »
PS CM you don't know, so don't reply. :P

Sure I do.

10 letters.

Nope, 12 letters...

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 01:50 by HydroDave63 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:39 »
westinghouse = 12 letters
CE = 2 letters

net difference of 2 letters. 

Remedial Math classes available cheap. IM for details.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:10 »
In all fairness, Combustion Engineering doesn't exist anymore with the nuclear portion being owned by Westinghouse..., so one could argue there is no difference. ;D

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2011, 11:42 »
OMG one little typo.......... :p

friggin nukes...

edit: 10 letters. TEN rawr.

rawr?

or rawr?

or rawr?

or rawr?

[whistle] :P [whistle] :P [whistle] :P [whistle] :P

Charlie Tuna you're so smooth ....  :P :P :P ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?