Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RETIRED...to Peace Corps!  

Author Topic: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!  (Read 142667 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:03 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

If any of you make it through SE Asia in the next couple of years, look me up.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2011, 10:20 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Sun Dog

Re: I'm "RETIRED!" ...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:12 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

How can I respond to that declaration other than saying congratulations, good luck, stay safe, and stay in touch.

Awesome.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:21 »
Congratulations and good luck!!! Very admirable indeed!

Will you still be able to stop by here now and then?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:54 »
Congratulations and good luck!!! Very admirable indeed!

Will you still be able to stop by here now and then without posting weird pictures of the food and more of the cool stuff?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2011, 07:57 »
Good luck to you and keep on your toes.

And do come back from time to time to say hello.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:13 »
Safe trip. Bring back cool stories
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

MacGyver

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2011, 11:50 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

Fantastic.  Send us some pic's if you can find time.  It would be fun to live vicariously through your camera lens (rated G of course).  Enjoy and be safe.  We're happy for you.  Seriously!

Mac

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2011, 02:16 »
Thanks for all the well wishing!   :)

They said we will usually make it in to the district center at least once a month and there will be internet access there...so I will try to give you periodic updates - with pix, if the connection isn't too slow.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 07:47 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2011, 05:51 »
Good luck and safe travels to you sir.  Your spirit and karma-genorsity will be missed here  :P

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:38 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

Enjoy!  I'm sure it will be a (hard, but) fun filled time!  Stay in touch!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2011, 05:00 »
I am near tears... I will miss you friend and envy you as well. I wish you all the best and wait on edge to hear from you every once in awhile and if not I am sure we'll catch up one day... peace to you and yours

Camella

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2011, 03:34 »
Congratulations on retirement.  It sounds like you have quite an adventure ahead of you.   Good luck!
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:18 »

I will probably be in NE Thailand in 2 years, If you are still there we may pop across the border for a visit.....

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:37 »
Peace Corps has three primary goals.   The third one is:

"To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans."

So, here are a few facts about Cambodia...

Background:
Most Cambodians consider themselves to be Khmers, descendants of the Angkor Empire that extended over much of Southeast Asia and reached its zenith between the 10th and 13th centuries. Attacks by the Thai and Cham (from present-day Vietnam) weakened the empire, ushering in a long period of decline. The king placed the country under French protection in 1863 and it became part of French Indochina in 1887. Following Japanese occupation in World War II, Cambodia gained full independence from France in 1953.

In April 1975, after a five-year struggle, Communist Khmer Rouge forces captured Phnom Penh and evacuated all cities and towns. At least 1.5 million Cambodians died from execution, forced hardships, or starvation during the Khmer Rouge regime under POL POT. A December 1978 Vietnamese invasion drove the Khmer Rouge into the countryside, began a 10-year Vietnamese occupation, and touched off almost 13 years of civil war. The 1991 Paris Peace Accords mandated democratic elections and a ceasefire, which was not fully respected by the Khmer Rouge.

UN-sponsored elections in 1993 helped restore some semblance of normalcy under a coalition government. Factional fighting in 1997 ended the first coalition government, but a second round of national elections in 1998 led to the formation of another coalition government and renewed political stability. The remaining elements of the Khmer Rouge surrendered in early 1999. Some of the surviving Khmer Rouge leaders have been tried or are awaiting trial for crimes against humanity by a hybrid UN-Cambodian tribunal supported by international assistance. Elections in July 2003 were relatively peaceful, but it took one year of negotiations between contending political parties before a coalition government was formed. In October 2004, King Norodom SIHANOUK abdicated the throne and his son, Prince Norodom SIHAMONI, was selected to succeed him. Local elections were held in Cambodia in April 2007, with little of the pre-election violence that preceded prior elections. National elections in July 2008 were relatively peaceful.

GDP - per capita (PPP): $2,100 (2010 est.)
country comparison to the world: 189

Life expectancy at birth: total population: 62.67 years
country comparison to the world: 178
male: 60.31 years
female: 65.13 years (2011 est.)

Improved drinking water source available:
urban: 81% of population
rural: 56% of population
total: 61% of population

Ethnic groups:
Khmer 90%, Vietnamese 5%, Chinese 1%, other 4%

Religions:
Buddhist (official) 96.4%, Muslim 2.1%, other 1.3%, unspecified 0.2% (1998 census)

Labor force - by occupation:
agriculture: 57.6%
industry: 15.9%
services: 26.5% (2009 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cb.html

I will probably be in NE Thailand in 2 years, If you are still there we may pop across the border for a visit.....

Mike

Excellent!  Come on over!  :)

...and bring that slacker AtomicPunk with you!  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 08:46 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2011, 01:38 »
...without posting weird pictures of the food...?

I was BS'ing with one of the guys from Laos & mentioned weird food to him.  He said one of the odder he has seen is when they take a large leech that has been attached for some time....tie both ends off...cook over the fire...instant blood sausage... 

I'm hoping he was pulling the new guy's leg.  If not, I'll warn you before I post a picture of it, Drayer!  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:36 »
Sorry I dropped off the radar...all the internet cafe IP's seem to be blocked by Nukeworker.  Now my wife found a modem-stick for her laptop, so maybe we will have access fairly regularly.

Phnom Penh is just another big city now.  I hadn't been here in 14 years and didn't recognize anything until I finally got down by the National Museum...a few blocks down in that area that retain the old flavor, but...

Now we are a couple hours south of the capitol in a small village.  Living with a family, learning Khmai 4 hours a day, and learning how to teach English 4 hours a day.  By the time you take 4 or 5 showers splash-baths (the heat & humidity are killer) and do some laundry (washtub)...there's not much time left in the day.  We have taken a couple of nice bike rides through the rice paddies and played some soccer & volleyball with the local kids, but...

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know we made it in-country and are acclimating.

modified for spelling and to remove location specifics
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011, 11:03 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
CAMBODIA! Peace Corps!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2011, 09:03 »
Well, I debated with myself on the title to this thread before I started it...because the "Retired" was dependant on several factors:

:(

1.  A strong dollar...since we planned on staying expatriated for as long as we could.
2.  A strong stock market...since we based our spending on a 'reasonable' (7%) income from our investments.
3.  Reasonable inflation...3%...
...and so-on...

Anyway, the events of the past few weeks are making our 'retirement' look like a pipe dream, so...the moderators can change the thread title (if they'd like)...

On the bright side, looks like we'll probably be seeing you all at the ol' nuke plants in a couple of years... :)

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2011, 09:53 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2011, 12:31 »
Well the good news for me is that I may see you out at the canyon again someday?  At least someone's getting a good deal out of this!!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2011, 11:01 »
Bring back cool stories

Not sure how 'cool' this will be, but...

Story Time with Poo Graabi  (Khmai for UncaBuffalo  :)  )

Once upon a time, two happy old Barangs joined Peace Corps and moved to Cambodia. 

They lived in a happy little house with their happy BongBro & BongSri...and the happy little ch'gai - woof-woof...and the happy little ch'ma - meow-meow...and several happy little mooen (including one that laid an egg under the woodstove each morning)...and a happy mooen-tome (that liked to spend half it's time strutting & gobbling for the ladies, and the other half strutting & gobbling for it's own reflection in the glass.)

One night, the happy old Barangs were 'eating rice' with BongBro & BongSri.  A VERY large gong-gaip hopped past under table. 

"Ribbit-Ribbit." said the gong-gaip

"Yeek!" said BongSri.

"There's some good eatin' on them there gong-gaips.  GULP!"  said the happy little ch'gai.

The End

This has been Story Time with Poo Graabi.  :)

Please direct all complaints to:  PCT Poo Graabi AKA UncaBuffalo AKA K5 Tall Old Guy, Peace Corps, PO Box 2453, Phnom Penh 3, Cambodia.;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2011, 12:39 »
"Waddayamean I gotta take the MMPI again" moaned Poo Graabi.  ;)

Good story.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

MacGyver

Re: CAMBODIA! Peace Corps!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2011, 02:56 »

Anyway, the events of the past few weeks are making our 'retirement' look like a pipe dream, so...the moderators can change the thread title (if they'd like)...

I am sorry to hear that.

I had to look to find this but I hope it cheers you up ...  ;D

On the bright side, looks like we'll probably be seeing you all at the ol' nuke plants in a couple of years... :)

And, we will be happy to see you until you do retire.   :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2011, 11:01 »

Sorry I dropped off the radar again...experiencing technical difficulties...

Had to kill my avatar to meet Peace Corps guidelines...

And need a blurb that "All opinions expressed here are mine alone, NOT Peace Corps."

I'll try to check in occasionally, but all the Cambodian IPs are blocked, so will have to figure out a private modem to use again...

:)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:26 »
So, riddle me this:  Why would my modem be 'blocked' (by NukeWorker) when attached to my laptop...but work attached to the school desktop...?  Must be something to do with the version of software the school computer has loaded to drive the modem...?

Anywho...jumped through all the hoops for training and am a full-fledged Peace Corps VOLUNTEER now!  (You would need to be a lowly 'trainee' for two months to fully appreciate how good that feels.)

Have my own little village down south...surounded by mountains...near the ocean...about 8 miles of dirt (mud?) road for anyone to get in or out...teaching English, trying to dig wells, trying to build sports facilities at the school...  

Life IS good!

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2011, 06:27 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:10 »
Great to hear that truly doing something you enjoy! 
Cheers,
LM

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2011, 03:42 »
So, riddle me this:  Why would my modem be 'blocked' (by NukeWorker) when attached to my laptop...but work attached to the school desktop...?  Must be something to do with the version of software the school computer has loaded to drive the modem...?

Aha! Now we know where those spams come from!!  :P

Be well, and hurry home!

drayer54

« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:59 »
I put up a couple of pics...

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-579.html
Looks like lots of bugs. Be careful of that water buffalo and those big ole beetles.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:05 »
Nice pictures, looks cleaner than some spots here in Missouri!
btw, the pictionary drawing looks more like a sheep to me!  I have been accused of being a subject matter expert in that area...

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2011, 07:57 »
nice pics man.  would come visit if I didn't have so much going on here......

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2011, 01:49 »
What wonderful pictures. I so wish I could visit Vietnam... it is a beautiful country. BTW, thanks for what you are doing. Keep the pictures coming!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:58 »
haha, thats one nasty looking beetle! :)

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #30 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:05 »
What color tag is on that scaffold?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2011, 10:24 »
What wonderful pictures. I so wish I could visit Vietnam... it is a beautiful country. BTW, thanks for what you are doing. Keep the pictures coming!

I found an interesting retirement article about Nam...

http://news.yahoo.com/one-retirees-life-nha-trang-vietnam-203717487.html

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2011, 12:27 »
One more bunch up...

The fishing boats of Thailand is my favorite. I grew up around boats, the smell of salt, low tide and wood shavings.. memories are wonderful. My dad spent 9 years in Korea so I grew up eating and drinking food that most people did not discover here for a long time. My cousins then spent 3 tours in Vietnam and I was introduced to even more.

I liked your article, maybe Henry and I could retire one day, but I dont know if he'd leave South Kackalacky or not, lol.

Stay safe and keep up the wonderful work.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:46 »
One more bunch up...

This literally made me choke up a bit.

OK I don't know how to paste pictures from the NW gallery, but the one in your avatar.

I hate spiders. I think I would die if I saw that in real life.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2011, 02:47 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:14 »
This literally made me choke up a bit.

OK I don't know how to paste pictures from the NW gallery, but the one in your avatar.

I hate spiders. I think I would die if I saw that in real life.

Scene starts with an inspection of the LPRM cabinets and Vital Bus switchgear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SmXqp-0p-48

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2011, 07:24 by HydroDave63 »

Offline MrHazmat

• Principal Hazardous Material Specialist - DOE
  • Moderate User
  • DragRacing Ain't Nothing Like It!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:20 »
I have always heard you are never more than 5 feet away from a spider.
That has ALWAYS bothered me!!! :D
Keeping our highways safe for over 40 years

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:20 »
At least they are not part of our diet.

Myth: You unknowingly swallow an average of four live spiders in your sleep each year.

Fact: This very widespread urban legend has no basis in fact. It exists in various forms; another common version is that you swallow an average of 20 in your lifetime. (At 4 per year, that would make a very short lifetime of 5 years...) A correspondent in Pennsylvania had heard a version that involved swallowing a pound of spiders (while sleeping) in one's lifetime. (That would be over 20,000 average spiders, for a lifetime of 5,000 years at the 4 per year rate).

For a sleeping person to swallow even one live spider would involve so many highly unlikely circumstances that for practical purposes we can rule out the possibility. No such case is on formal record anywhere in scientific or medical literature.

Since this page first appeared, I have heard from one person who found a small harmless spider hiding in her ear (which is possible), two who claimed to have had one in their noses (but had no evidence that it wasn't already in the hanky), and a few who stated that years ago, when they were young children, they spat out or brushed from their mouths an object they interpreted (while still groggy with sleep) as a spider or spider leg. Those stories are so similar they may qualify as a distinct urban legend. Of course nobody ever preserved the evidence, and I remain unconvinced that a spider would visit a huge breathing monster and enter its mouth. The only credible account came from a woman who'd had a ballooning spider blow into her open mouth in a grassy field on a windy day – but that, too, happened when she was a child!

Myth: Spiders drink moisture from the mouths or lips of sleeping humans.

Fact: I have heard this legend verbally but it does not seem to be recorded in print anywhere. A variant that one person claimed to have heard on TV is that "a spider will drink from your eye (while you sleep) 3 times in your life." It is probably just a variation on the "swallowing live spiders in your sleep" legend; like that one, it has no basis in fact.

http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/whileyousleep.html

It may not be true but now you are thinking about it.  [devious]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:30 »
Back on topic, thanks for the pics keep them coming.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:52 »
Scene starts with an inspection of the LPRM cabinets and Vital Bus switchgear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SmXqp-0p-48

Oh my gosh, you should see the infestations down at Peach Bottom, especially the outer intake screens. Spiders the size of your fist. You have to walk through there with a stick to knock down webs in front of you and bat spiders away. Needless to say, I didn't go out there. But that's off topic. :D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:40 »
At the risk of repeating myself: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,107.msg73723.html#msg73723

Artist: Snider Todd
Song: Enjoy Yourself

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think. Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink.
The years go by, as quickly as a wink. Enjoy yourself, Enjoy yourself, It's later than you think.

You work and work, for years and years, you're always on the go.
You never take a minute off, too busy making dough.
Some day, you say, you'll have your fun when you're a millioniare.
Imagine all the fun you'll have in some old rocking-chair.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think. Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink.
The years go by, as quickly as a wink. Enjoy yourself, Enjoy yourself, It's later than you think.

You're gonna take that ocean trip, no matter come what may.
You got your reservations, but you just can't get away.
Next year, for sure, you'll see the world, you'll really get around;
But how far can you travel when you're six feet underground?

The years go by, as quickly a as wink. Enjoy yourself, Enjoy yourself it's later than you think.

Get out and see the world...

Seems apropos, because I'm wondering if I waited too long to do Peace Corps.  What would be a minor age-related health issue anywhere else is a "Go-back-to-the-States-and-get-it-fixed" in Peace Corps.  I'm out of Cambodia for a while...will get to go back when I'm all fixed up...later...  :(

DO NOT PUT YOUR DREAMS OFF UNTIL 'LATER'!  
                    LIVE THEM NOW!
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2011, 03:48 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:10 »
...I'm wondering if I waited too long to do Peace Corps.  What would be a minor age-related health issue anywhere else is a "Go-back-to-the-States-and-get-it-fixed" in Peace Corps.  I'm out of Cambodia for a while...will get to go back when I'm all fixed up...later...  :(

YIPPEE!  I got cleared!  Headed back to Cambodia as soon as I can get a ticket!

:)  :)  :)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:48 »
Sounds like a holiday in cambodia!!  Bru!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:37 »
Sounds like a holiday in cambodia!!

Yeah, come on over!  You've got a couple of months before it gets nasty hot...

PS...Continental has cheap tickets into Saigon right now and then it's only a $10 bus ride to Phnom Penh.  
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 01:53 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline FrankyJack

• Very Lite User
  • Closing Time
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:55 »
At least they are not part of our diet.

Myth: You unknowingly swallow an average of four live spiders in your sleep each year.

My sister (quite some years ago) had a small spider removed from her ear.  You can call that an urban legend if you like but my sister gives a first person account that's pretty interesting.
If they wanted it done right, they'd do it different..

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:02 »
Okay, I put up some more pictures, BUT...

To Drayer (and anyone else that doesn't like weird pictures) =  STAY OUT OF THESE ONES! 
 ;)

I had my first batch of bugs for Chinese New Year.  The crickets were okay...you could mostly just swallow them whole - and they were small enough to be nice and crunchy when you did chew.  I had several (small) servings of them.

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8540.html#top_display_media

BUT, the beetles were big...and chewy...and you had to pull their wings, and head, and legs off.  I did NOT take seconds on them!

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8536.html#top_display_media

Also, the chicken was good, but I still couldn't force myself to eat the head...or feet...

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8535.html#top_display_media

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8553.html#top_display_media

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2012, 11:08 »

I had my first batch of bugs for Chinese New Year.  The crickets were okay...you could mostly just swallow them whole - and they were small enough to be nice and crunchy when you did chew.  I had several (small) servings of them.

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8540.html#top_display_media

Long time ago on nightshifts we would call Saturday morning "Bugs and Brew" but it meant Bugs Bunny, beer, and volleyball. 

;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:37 »
This is worse than fear factor.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:52 »
Give me the triple B!!!    Beer, Bugs and Beaks Please!!!!!    http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8535.html#top_display_media
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 06:33 by thenukeman »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2012, 04:05 »
Two things:

One, lots of these new pictures are of the "scare-ghosts" that are going up all over town.  A couple of local kids died recently for no apparent reason and this is how everyone hopes to keep the evil spirit away...

And, two...I made an error in judgement when I tried to bluff that I didn't mind the crickets that they served me a couple of weeks ago.  My logic at the time was:  Hey! They can only get crickets up north...and they've only been that far north once since I've lived here, so...probably safe to eat a few crickets, 'cuz they'll never serve them again anyway.

Turns out it was false logic...they special ordered me some more crickets for dinner last night!  YIPE! 
 :D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2012, 01:39 »
Noticed a few days back that we have migrated to the "Holiday Greetings" section, so...

- Happy Meak Bochea Day -

For those of you who might not know (I didn't until yesterday) Meak Bochea is a religious holiday in SE Asia that marks the last sermon Buddha gave.  The high points of the sermon (and observance of the holiday) are:

1.  Avoid Doing Evil.

2.  Do Only Good.

3.  Purify The Mind.

Not sure what number 3 entails, but the first two seem like admirable thoughts...no matter what your religious affiliation (or lack thereof...)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 01:40 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:44 »
Had to upload some pictures on a grant proposal, so threw a couple more in here, too...

What's a Boonya Baby???

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2012, 02:01 »
What's a Boonya Baby???

One of these:
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-topn--579-8802.html#top_display_media

Also:
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-topn--579-8537.html#top_display_media

And:[spoiler]One of the hardest things about spending two years away from home is being away from the grandkids...so, I use the same solution that I have for years on the road...Rent-a-Kid!  Maybe kids aren't quite as much fun when they aren't your own, but they are still a hoot.  I have been 'adopted' by all the little kids that belong to the other teachers...or that live along my walk to school...

The Boonya (that's his name...to finally answer your question) Baby is great...always smiling & laughing...and just at that fun age where he's figuring out how to walk...  He is one of my co-teachers' kids...and his grandma lives on the route to school...and his aunt owns the cafe where I 'eat rice' each lunchtime, so...a triple threat! 
 :)[/spoiler]

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Mar 13, 2012, 10:23 »
We now interrupt this program to do the dance-of-joy...

[Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance] [Dance]

Sorry for that little display of jubilation, but yesterday ROCKED!  We finished TWO wells and turned them over to the villages!  Kids splashing in the water...people doing laundry...an 80-year-old lady who kept thanking us over and over because now she has a water source she can get to... It was super heart warming.  

I hope I am doing some good with the teaching and 'soft' projects, too...but it sure does feel nice to complete something concrete for a change!  :)

Modified for spelling
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 08:39 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #53 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:42 »
I thaught Thai Officers and if Cambodians are as good as the Thai you are Really ROCKING!!!!!! The only complaint I had is when I talked to them I had my legs crossed and soles of feet pointing at them.  They gently pointed out in Thai that was like giving someone the finger in the US. I put my feet flat on the floor and said excuse me.  No other problem. Just greatfullness Thai food and Mutual Respect.  On the other hand my Muslim Officers,

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Mar 17, 2012, 06:28 »
I thaught Thai Officers and if Cambodians are as good as the Thai you are Really ROCKING!!!!!! The only complaint I had is when I talked to them I had my legs crossed and soles of feet pointing at them.  They gently pointed out in Thai that was like giving someone the finger in the US. I put my feet flat on the floor and said excuse me.  No other problem. Just greatfullness Thai food and Mutual Respect.  On the other hand my Muslim Officers,

Thailand was where I fell in love with SE Asia...however many years ago...  Their smiles, their genuineness, and their acceptance of me - even though I'm an American, which is a BAD thing in a lot of the world.  Unfortunately, in most of Thailand, 'progress' has arrived and the people are now too busy to be as friendly as they were.

Cambodia is everything Thailand used to be, if not more so!  :)

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #55 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:19 »
Awesome Pictures!!!!!   I think you have done real well for these people with this well!!!  It looks like they are very happy!!!!!! I am giving you real well with the well Karma!!!!!!!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #56 on: Mar 22, 2012, 05:17 »
Okay, first thing:  I am NOT asking anyone to contribute to this project.

I repeat - I am not asking you to donate.

Now that we have the ground rules straight...  One of the reasons I joined Peace Corps is that I was always frustrated trying to find charities that 1) were efficient - good bang for the buck....and 2) were working in an area that I believed in.  Too often, I was worried that overhead, salary, & soliciting costs were eating my whole contribution...or that my dollars were going to someone who wasn't truly needy.  I decided to join Peace Corps so that I could actually be on the ground making the decisions to help alleviate true needs.

If you are a person like me that has a little extra money, but is wary of most of the charities you see, here is an opportunity to do some good:

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1070

Other than the small percentage Appropriate Projects takes out to cover wire costs, etc, all donations are coming straight to the school to build the latrine.  So where else are you going to be able to help build an entire restroom for $555?

I will give the NukeWorkers a week to fund this, if you like what you see.  If no one is interested, I will open it up to other funding sources...I guarantee that it will be funded in under two weeks, so...

And, again, I am NOT asking anyone to donate, just giving you an opportunity if you want one.

Also, I thought their blurb about "The full amount will give you "naming rights"..." was funny!

Name-The-Latrine...WOO-HOO! :) 

I will go one step further, if this project gets fully funded in the first week (but by more than one person), we can come up a name here...or slap the NukeWorker logo on the latrine (if Mike agrees)...or...?  ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Mar 22, 2012, 08:53 »
I got the first 18%.

Who's next?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Mar 26, 2012, 05:17 »
...yesterday ROCKED!  We finished TWO wells and turned them over to the villages!  Kids splashing in the water...people doing laundry...an 80-year-old lady who kept thanking us over and over because now she has a water source she can get to... It was super heart warming.  

I hope I am doing some good with the teaching and 'soft' projects, too...but it sure does feel nice to complete something concrete for a change!  :)

Modified for spelling

An added note on the well project...

Kudos to Mennonite Church USA for establishing the project in this area, supplying the funding, handling the Stateside portion of the project, and everything else they do!  :)

I wanted to check with the church whether they minded my shouting their name all over the world, so that's why this part is only being added now...

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #59 on: Mar 27, 2012, 05:17 »

If you are a person like me that has a little extra money, but is wary of most of the charities you see, here is an opportunity to do some good:

And, again, I am NOT asking anyone to donate, just giving you an opportunity if you want one.

It must stink not to have proper facilities when they are needed. Hopefully, we can get them built; as an individual who takes no small pleasure in using a bathroom while on double or triple time, I had to make a small donation.
There is no waiting in the donation line. http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1070

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Mar 27, 2012, 07:47 »
I just made my 100 dollar Donation!!   Good Luck Uncabuffalo.  God bless!!!  I think if we can get  enough Nukeworkers to complete this the we can call it the Nukeworker.com Latrine.  Maybe with a picture of the Nukeworker on it!!!!!!

I like how many people this helps!!!  see here!!!

Project Impact
 1,702 people will benefit from the project, including 1645 students (grades 7 to 12) and 57 staff members.

This is only about 33 cents a person.  
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2012, 08:21 by thenukeman »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #61 on: Mar 28, 2012, 08:23 »
I PM'ed DW and he said he would match my contribution.  Thanks DW.  Maybe since this has 2 seats maybe Uncabuffalo can put DW above the left seat and NM  for Nukeman over the right and send us a picture when done for all the left and right crap we put forth in Poly-Sci.  Does not have to be permanent a picture will  do!!!!!!   Hopefully  if Nukeworker.com raises all the money we can have it the Nukeworker.com Latrine with the Nukeworker with Rennhack's blessing.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #62 on: Mar 29, 2012, 01:03 »
And here are some more pictures from another camera.  Thanks again to Mennonite Church USA for making the villagers' life so much better!  :)

(if the first pic you see is labeled "The Governor Talks With Villagers", then come back later because the new pictures take a bit to clear the moderators...)

Other than a bug what is a Kep Statue?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Mar 30, 2012, 12:47 »
Other than a bug what is a Kep Statue?

...oh...sorry about that...that caption isn't self-explanatory, is it?   :(

Kep is a resort town down on the coast.  They are famous for their seafood:

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-9062.html#top_display_media
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8606.html#top_display_media
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-9037.html#top_display_media   ;)

...so they built a giant crab as a monument:

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-9071.html#top_display_media   :)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #64 on: Mar 30, 2012, 10:07 »
...oh...sorry about that...that caption isn't self-explanatory, is it?   :(

Kep is a resort town down on the coast.  They are famous for their seafood:

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-9062.html#top_display_media
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-8606.html#top_display_media
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-9037.html#top_display_media   ;)

...so they built a giant crab as a monument:

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-579-9071.html#top_display_media   :)

Well I guess a crab is a sea going bug   [whistle]

Sea Food from New England is one of the things I miss about my traveling days. (No Prohac thankfully)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #65 on: Mar 31, 2012, 03:02 »
I got the first 18%.

Who's next?

It must stink not to have proper facilities when they are needed. Hopefully, we can get them built; as an individual who takes no small pleasure in using a bathroom while on double or triple time, I had to make a small donation.
There is no waiting in the donation line. http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1070

I just made my 100 dollar Donation!!   Good Luck Uncabuffalo.  God bless!!!  I think if we can get  enough Nukeworkers to complete this the we can call it the Nukeworker.com Latrine.  Maybe with a picture of the Nukeworker on it!!!!!!

I like how many people this helps!!!  see here!!!

Project Impact
 1,702 people will benefit from the project, including 1645 students (grades 7 to 12) and 57 staff members.

This is only about 33 cents a person. 

I PM'ed DW and he said he would match my contribution.  Thanks DW.  Maybe since this has 2 seats maybe Uncabuffalo can put DW above the left seat and NM  for Nukeman over the right and send us a picture when done for all the left and right crap we put forth in Poly-Sci.  Does not have to be permanent a picture will  do!!!!!!   Hopefully  if Nukeworker.com raises all the money we can have it the Nukeworker.com Latrine with the Nukeworker with Rennhack's blessing.

Thanks to all who chipped in!  I really appreciate it and I'm sure the kids will, too.

Here are a few shots of the work they did this morning...
(if 'Overloaded Ferry...' is first picture, come back later...the new ones need to clear the editor...)

Got the foundation laid and it is drying now.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #66 on: Mar 31, 2012, 10:11 »
The upside down squatty potties look like the alien space craft from Independence day.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2012, 10:13 by Marlin »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Apr 25, 2012, 11:25 »
One last update before the two-week Khmer New Year holiday.  They have a good start on the walls...

If "Mixing Mortar" is first, come back later when the new uploads have passed editor...)

Thanks again to everyone that chipped in to make this possible!  :)

School...and latrine construction...are ramping back up after the long holiday.  I'd say both are going about half-speed right now.

They have the walls up and stuccoed.  Now they are working on setting the toilet basins.  Still need to do the roof.

Here are a couple of shots of the current status:
(If the pictures don't show stuccoed walls, come back later...pictures need to clear editors.)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to make this construction possible!  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 11:26 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Apr 27, 2012, 12:57 »
Looks good!!!   Almost ready for the DW Left sign and NM right sign. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #69 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:10 »
Okay, first thing:  I am NOT asking anyone to contribute to this project.

I repeat - I am not asking you to donate.

Now that we have the ground rules straight...  One of the reasons I joined Peace Corps is that I was always frustrated trying to find charities that 1) were efficient - good bang for the buck....and 2) were working in an area that I believed in.  Too often, I was worried that overhead, salary, & soliciting costs were eating my whole contribution...or that my dollars were going to someone who wasn't truly needy.  I decided to join Peace Corps so that I could actually be on the ground making the decisions to help alleviate true needs.

Other than the small percentage Appropriate Projects takes out to cover wire costs, etc, all donations are coming straight to the school to build the latrine.  So where else are you going to be able to help build an entire restroom for $555?

I will give the NukeWorkers a week to fund this, if you like what you see.  If no one is interested, I will open it up to other funding sources...I guarantee that it will be funded in under two weeks, so...

Also, I thought their blurb about "The full amount will give you "naming rights"..." was funny!

Name-The-Latrine...WOO-HOO! :) 

I will go one step further, if this project gets fully funded in the first week (but by more than one person), we can come up a name here...or slap the NukeWorker logo on the latrine (if Mike agrees)...or...?  ;)

"Dollar Amount of Project
$555.00

Donations Collected to Date
$555.00

Dollar Amount Needed
$0.00 - This project has been fully funded by members of http://www.nukeworker.com/."

Thanks again!  :)  :)  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #70 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:16 »
Looks good!!!   Almost ready for the DW Left sign and NM right sign. 

Yeah!  ;)

I walked by a few minutes ago and they are stuccoing the interior walls now.  Still need to put down a little tile...and paint everything.

We need to come to a final decision on what we want to paint on it.  If Mike says it's okay to use the NukeWorker name and/or logo, we can put that...if not...?

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #71 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:55 »
I walked by a few minutes ago and they are stuccoing the interior walls now.  Still need to put down a little tile...and paint everything. 

Latrine?  It initially sounded like a two sided outhouse (think scout camp).  For $555.00 with stucco, tile, and paint - way to go!  Next is an adjacient (or connectited) shower facility!

If Mike says it's okay to use the NukeWorker name and/or logo, we can put that...if not...?

If not, how about - "Buffalo's Retreat"!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Apr 30, 2012, 08:48 »
We could:

1. Look a the plant poll numbers and choose the one with the lowest rating (for obvious reasons)

2. Call it 'Barnwell' (because that is where the nuclear world has been sending all of its sh_t for decades.)

3. Name it after the real reason it got funded and call it Poo Graabi -- or, better yet, Graabi's Poo.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2012, 08:49 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline MrHazmat

• Principal Hazardous Material Specialist - DOE
  • Moderate User
  • DragRacing Ain't Nothing Like It!!!!!!
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2012, 07:21 »

2. Call it 'Barnwell' (because that is where the nuclear world has been sending all of its sh_t for decades.)

Hey I resemble that remark......... well maybe not resemble, but you know what I mean. I have lived in Barnwell for 50 years. [oops]

Just to be completely correct, the site is actually located in Snelling, SC, in Barnwell County. [nuke]
Keeping our highways safe for over 40 years

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2012, 02:07 »
Latrine?  It initially sounded like a two sided outhouse (think scout camp).  For $555.00 with stucco, tile, and paint - way to go!

Yeah!  You really get a lot for your dollar in Cambodia...I always figure there's at least a factor of 10 greater bang for the buck.   Makes a small donation be a BIG help!

Well, they are basically done!

THANK YOU, NUKEWORKERS!  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:09 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #75 on: Jun 01, 2012, 09:30 »
 Thanks Nukeworkers and My Left wing friend DW. Thank You UnCaBuffalo for getting Nukeworkers together on a good project.  
You can see the Right Door is NM for Nukeman and DW for Dave Warren on the Left.  We argue alot in PolySci.  But when the Right wing and Left Wing Got together we  helped made this project fly along with many other Nukeworkers.  The Nukeworker sign can be seen on this too.  OK  this is not Polysci so lets not make any Poly  Sci comments here.  Just want to point out a good thing done by all!!!!!!! :) 8) +K <3 [GH] [salute] [prize] [clap] [clap] [thanks] [thanks] [dowave] [dowave]  Click on this picture to  see DW, NM and Nukeworker sign clearer, can even click twice to make bigger
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 09:31 by thenukeman »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #76 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:25 »
Thanks Nukeworkers and My Left wing friend DW. Thank You UnCaBuffalo for getting Nukeworkers together on a good project.  
You can see the Right Door is NM for Nukeman and DW for Dave Warren on the Left.  We argue alot in PolySci.  But when the Right wing and Left Wing Got together we  helped made this project fly along with many other Nukeworkers.  The Nukeworker sign can be seen on this too.  OK  this is not Polysci so lets not make any Poly  Sci comments here.  Just want to point out a good thing done by all!!!!!!! :) 8) +K <3 [GH] [salute] [prize] [clap] [clap] [thanks] [thanks] [dowave] [dowave]  Click on this picture to  see DW, NM and Nukeworker sign clearer, can even click twice to make bigger

Thanks again to all the NukeWorkers who made that latrine possible!  :)

...and, if anyone wants to do a similar project:

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1165

;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #77 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:10 »
WOO-HOO!  We have liftoff on the sports court construction!  :)

Dump Trucks!!!  

Bulldozer!!!  

Dudes leaning on shovels!!!  ;)

Sorry for the (over-)exuberance, but those of you who have been keeping score at home know this one has been a bit of a [train] for the past six months.  It's a HUGE relief to finally be breaking ground.

Thanks to everyone who donated to make this possible!  I will be posting pictures soon and often!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 08:13 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 »
It's been a great month...lots happening:

The U.S. Marines and Navy sent a medical mission to conduct 'exchanges' with various hospitals and medical centers in Cambodia.  They had been to my district last year to perform a public clinic, and returned this time to allow six area health centers to participate in a one-day exchange.  It was held at my high school, so nice to be a part of it.

Work on the high school sports court continues...foundation is in place and dirt brought up to grade.  I will post pictures of the students moving the dirt...  Now the masons are positioning rock so they can begin pouring the slab.  Thanks again to all who donated to make this sports court possible.

The Samarky Primary School well project was delayed for about a week while the drilling rig was repaired.  We were able to complete the well and pad last week!  Thanks to those who contributed to the well fund to make it possible.

The school year is drawing to an end and some of my co-teachers took me up to Bokor Mountain National Park to celebrate.  It is beautiful up there...nice to see an intact forest. (Unfortunately, that is the first intact forest I have seen in Cambodia, as logging...legal & illegal...has pretty much decimated the rest of the country's ecosystems.)

I have another latrine project (for a primary school up the valley) in the proposal stage...and will post pictures of it, the well project, and the continuing sports court work as they become available.

Thanks again for all the support (emotional and financial) you have been giving me and my community!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012, 02:59 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #80 on: Jul 08, 2012, 12:15 »
Some people have asked about cost-of-living and cost-of-travel in Cambodia, so...

(Note:  My Cambodian co-teachers are paid between $65 and $105 per month.)

Housing:  I pay $100 per month, which gets me a furnished room (bed, chair, table) with use of a squat toilet and splash bath.  Electricity, water, and one meal per day included.

Locals can get a small, two-room house for about $30 per month.

(Note: This is housing costs in a village.  For Phnom Penh muliply by five to ten)

Guesthouses ($6 to $8 per night with hot water and fan.  Add $5 for A/C)

Food: Meals served with unlimited hot or cold tea.

Breakfast...plate of rice with a few bites of meat or egg and about 1/4 cucumber. ($0.75)

Lunch/Supper...unlimited rice, with a plate of whatever the restaurant cooked...usually 2 or 3 dishes to choose from.  ($1.25)

Snacks -
      Noodles...fried or in soup  ($0.75)
      Cambodian crepe  ($0.75)
      Soda pop  ($0.38)
      Pack of cookies or crackers ($0.25)

Transportation:

Longer Distances - Bus or share taxi ($0.75 to $1.50 per hour)

Short Distances - Moto ($0.25, plus $0.10 per km)
                      - Moto-Cart ($0.50, plus $0.25 per km)

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2012, 05:27 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Jul 26, 2012, 05:30 »
Been down for about a week with dengue fever, but back to my village now... 

Got another latrine proposal approved:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247  :)

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #82 on: Jul 26, 2012, 06:54 »
Sorry to hear you have “breakbone” or dengue fever. It is notoriously painful and hard to treat. Due to the ban on DDT, many people suffer needlessly.

Thank God for bathrooms when we need one. I hope that the Nukeworker crew can throw some spare change in to get the next one built. One hour of OT would mean a lot to your friends in Cambodia.

I hope you get well soon.

Bigchris

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #83 on: Jul 27, 2012, 01:51 »
Sorry to hear you have “breakbone” or dengue fever. It is notoriously painful and hard to treat. Due to the ban on DDT, many people suffer needlessly.

I hope you get well soon.

Bigchris

Thanks!  I am almost back to normal and they released me back to my village, so life is good.  It's been an incredibly heavy year for dengue here and we've had several PCVs who got it so bad they had to be medevac'd to Thailand as a precaution (to be near a safe blood supply in case of need for a transfusion.)

Unfortunately, the general Cambodian population doesn't have access to that level of health care:

http://vaccinenewsdaily.com/asia/319386-dengue-fever-kills-60-children-in-cambodia-between-january-and-june/

Between January and June, dengue fever killed 60 children in Cambodia, which is up from 23 deaths during the same time period in 2011.

According to the National Center of Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control, there have been 15,597 cases of dengue fever between January and June, representing a 239 percent increase year-on-year. There were 4,604 cases of dengue fever during the same time period in 2011...

surf50

« Reply #84 on: Jul 27, 2012, 10:48 »
Interesting article about using genetically modified mosquitoes to combat Dengue fever, and the resistance towards this technology..
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/09/120709fa_fact_specter
(sorry, could only get the abbreviated version for free)

Feel better soon.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Jul 30, 2012, 05:09 »
Interesting article about using genetically modified mosquitoes to combat Dengue fever, and the resistance towards this technology..
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/09/120709fa_fact_specter
(sorry, could only get the abbreviated version for free)

Feel better soon.

Thanks!

...for the link and the get-well!  :)

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #86 on: Aug 08, 2012, 04:22 »
Been down for about a week with dengue fever, but back to my village now... 

Got another latrine proposal approved:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247   :)

Hello UncaBuffalo,
I hope that you are recovering. If I could, I would like to mention the health benefits of your latrine project. As I just left a small deposit there, (the non-smelly kind), I can attest to the fact that I feel great, both physically and mentally, about having done so.
I encourage our friends here to visit the bathroom site and leave a little something. http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247
Bigchris

surf50

« Reply #87 on: Aug 13, 2012, 01:18 »
I encourage our friends here to visit the bathroom site and leave a little something. http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247
Bigchris

OK, Done.

Cathy

« Reply #88 on: Aug 13, 2012, 08:40 »
Rich & I both left a small deposit and would like to encourage others to donate!
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 10:35 by Cathy »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #89 on: Aug 17, 2012, 06:08 »
Thanks to all who have made donations to the Latrine project!  Construction started last Sunday and they are making such good time that they think they might finish tomorrow!  They just have a little more stucco & tile to do and then they can paint it.  Sorry I haven't been able to post any pictures...the upload function is having problems.  Hope all donors got the pictures I emailed?

Thanks again!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #90 on: Sep 07, 2012, 10:36 »
Thanks to all who have made donations to the Latrine project!  Construction started last Sunday and they are making such good time that they think they might finish tomorrow!  They just have a little more stucco & tile to do and then they can paint it.  Sorry I haven't been able to post any pictures...the upload function is having problems.  Hope all donors got the pictures I emailed?

Thanks again!  :)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1303

Thanks again to all who chipped in to make that possible!  :)

...and thanks to everyone who supported the sports court!  We have begun pouring the slab and will finish it in the next week, if the weather and other variables remain favorable.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2012, 03:40 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: Sep 12, 2012, 01:53 »
Got approval for another well-drilling project:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1307

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #92 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:45 »
...and thanks to everyone who supported the sports court!  We have begun pouring the slab and will finish it in the next week, if the weather and other variables remain favorable.  :)

Well, we had a long delay due to the rainy weather.  But I sure won't complain, because that meant the villagers finally got to transplant their rice.  Usually that happens in May or June, so...very late this year.  If the drought had continued, the food supply was going to be tight.  They expect a reduced crop this year, but hope to get 70% of normal, so everyone hopes that will be enough to get us through until next year.

Anyway, the slab on the sports court is finished.  We just need to fabricate and hang the backboards, paint the lines, and start playing some hoops!  :)

Thanks again to all who contributed!  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 03:47 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:51 »
Sounds like things are going well there. Glad y'all finally got some rain. I have enjoyed photos and look forward to more. Is there anything I can send to children or you as a treat? I'd love to send a huge goody box or whatever. Keep up the good work.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: Oct 26, 2012, 07:42 »
Sounds like things are going well there. Glad y'all finally got some rain. I have enjoyed photos and look forward to more. Is there anything I can send to children or you as a treat? I'd love to send a huge goody box or whatever. Keep up the good work.

I sure appreciate the goody box offer!  But, with postal prices so high and the availability of nearly everything in Phnom Penh, it never makes any sense to me to have stuff sent over.  Even a small box from the States costs around $50 in postage.

Thanks again for the thought!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:06 »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/21/world/asia/obama-in-cambodia-sidesteps-the-ghosts-of-history.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Note:  This is NOT intended as any kind of political statement, but merely a reminder that Cambodia still has issues...and that some of it's historical issues were caused by people outside of its borders.

Note 2:  And, as stated before, such is only my opinion and in no way reflects the opinions or policies of Peace Corps.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2012, 02:02 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #98 on: Dec 08, 2012, 05:08 »
https://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures?feature=watch

check out this channel on youtube.  all kinds of good stuff.  right up your alley and maybe others interested in this post.  I don't even watch cable anymore.....netflix and youtube.  They have a good one about all the crap china is building, but no one rents it!  ghost cities....probably some good stuff on cambodia I haven't checked yet...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #99 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:02 »
https://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures?feature=watch

check out this channel on youtube.  all kinds of good stuff.  right up your alley and maybe others interested in this post.  I don't even watch cable anymore.....netflix and youtube.  They have a good one about all the crap china is building, but no one rents it!  ghost cities....probably some good stuff on cambodia I haven't checked yet...

Looks like good stuff, but I'm using a really slow modem, so...guess it'll have to wait 'til I'm home...

Thanks for the thought!  :)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #100 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:24 »
forgot about that....

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #101 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:14 »
Got approval for another well-drilling project:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1307

Wow...that was slow!  But, we finally got this well completed.  For a complete report (with pictures!) see:  

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1407

...and thanks again for everyone's support on this well...and all past and current projects!  :)

Note:  The "Check Out MY Pipe Wrench" picture is one of my favorites from this whole Peace Corps gig!  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2012, 10:02 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #102 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:33 »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #103 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 »
WOOHOO!  Game on!

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410

Happy New Year, can't wait to see my name on another bathroom wall... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #104 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:04 »
WOOHOO!  Game on!

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410

Hello Unca,
As an individual who just enjoyed a triple-time and a half bathroom break, I would like to encourage those of us who get paid to use a clean bathroom to make a small deposit if they can.
Happy New Year and Stay Safe,
Bigchris

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #105 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:37 »
Happy New Year, can't wait to see my name on another bathroom wall... ;)

Hello Unca,
As an individual who just enjoyed a triple-time and a half bathroom break, I would like to encourage those of us who get paid to use a clean bathroom to make a small deposit if they can.
Happy New Year and Stay Safe,
Bigchris

Thanks, guys!  I got the funds over the weekend and we are on the contractor's schedule for next week.  :)

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #106 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:12 »
Hi Uncaffalo,
The site where we make donations (http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410) only shows $95.00 pledged out of $550.00 needed to build the latrine. How can you get started without having all the money needed?

Keep up the good work,
Bigchris

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #107 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:50 »
Hi Uncaffalo,
The site where we make donations (http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410) only shows $95.00 pledged out of $550.00 needed to build the latrine. How can you get started without having all the money needed?

Keep up the good work,
Bigchris

The Water Charity/Appropriate Projects people are really great about the funding.  They front the money and send it out soon after they approve a project. 

I still have to re-stock the pool of grant money with the donations.  If extra funds come in, they are earmarked for future projects that I do.  You guys have been great and were ahead on a couple of the previous projects (THANKS!), so Water Charity/Appropriate Projects has fast-tracked approval and funding on my last two projects.  Not having to wait for funding and approval greatly increases the amount of projects we can complete, so I have high hopes for this final 6 months of service.

Thanks again!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:22 »
A Scarcity of Toilets Among Rural Cambodians

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/a-scarcity-of-toilets-among-rural-cambodians-7662/

... is among the 66 percent of the rural population who still openly defecate outdoors, according to a new report released last month by the Rural Development Ministry and Unicef.

The continued lack of access to improved sanitation facilities, defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as facilities that separate human excreta from human contact, is costing the government more than $400 million in health costs annually, the report says.

While the government set a target in 2003 to reach universal access to proper latrines by 2025, only 28 percent of the population currently has access to one, the report states, adding that it is “unlikely” the government will reach its 100 percent target on time.

...the reason so many people in the country still don’t have toilets is because there are still many people living under the poverty line.

Defecating in the open, where bacteria and parasites can contaminate water resources, poses a real public health risk, according to Steven Iddings, an environmental engineer with the WHO in Cambodia.

Every year, about 2,300 children die from diarrheal diseases in Cambodia, according to a 2011 report from PATH International. And “a high proportion of childhood illnesses—especially diarrheal diseases—are linked to quality of water and water-related hygiene,” said Mr. Iddings.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #109 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 »
:)    :)    :)    :)     :)    :)    :)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1451

Thanks!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:22 »
Once more from the top...with feeling;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1456

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #111 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:04 »
 ;D
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Cathy

« Reply #112 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:48 »
Added a few gallons to the pond.

Cathy

« Reply #113 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:39 »
Looks like it still needs a few more gallons of water.
Bruce, you are doing an outstanding job. Not everyone can make such a profound difference in the lives of people that just need a hand up.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #114 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:21 »
Noticed a few days back that we have migrated to the "Holiday Greetings" section, so...

- Happy Meak Bochea Day -

For those of you who might not know (I didn't until yesterday) Meak Bochea is a religious holiday in SE Asia that marks the last sermon Buddha gave.  The high points of the sermon (and observance of the holiday) are:

1.  Avoid Doing Evil.

2.  Do Only Good.

3.  Purify The Mind.

Not sure what number 3 entails, but the first two seem like admirable thoughts...no matter what your religious affiliation (or lack thereof...)

Wow!  That year seems like it flew by...looking at it from this end.  So,

- Happy Meak Bochea Day - ...again!

Cathy

« Reply #115 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:41 »
I just noticed this on the webpage that you access to help with Bruce's project:
Bruce previously completed the Hun Sen Ang Chak High School Latrine Project – Cambodia, the Samarky Primary School Well Project – Cambodia, the Angmotreysatram Primary School Latrine Project - Cambodia, the Ang Chak High School Well Project - Cambodia, and the Prey K'Cheeay Primary and Lower Secondary School Latrine Project - Cambodia. This represents a new record for the number of projects completed in partnership with Water Charity for a serving Peace Corps Volunteer.
Way to go!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #116 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:42 »
I just noticed this on the webpage that you access to help with Bruce's project:
Bruce previously completed the Hun Sen Ang Chak High School Latrine Project – Cambodia, the Samarky Primary School Well Project – Cambodia, the Angmotreysatram Primary School Latrine Project - Cambodia, the Ang Chak High School Well Project - Cambodia, and the Prey K'Cheeay Primary and Lower Secondary School Latrine Project - Cambodia. This represents a new record for the number of projects completed in partnership with Water Charity for a serving Peace Corps Volunteer.
Way to go!!

Yeah, I chuckled when I saw that...I hadn't realized it was a competition!  If they had told me it was a race, I would have tried even harder!  ;)

Thanks to everyone here that has made these projects (and OUR record) possible.  I glanced back through the donation sheets and between 27% and 33% (hard to tell on some where I can't match a donor name to a NW user name...) have come from NukeWorkers.  AND, another 36% have come from former NukeWorkers and/or people in the nuclear industry.  So, thanks to everyone for the help!  Nuclear power was very good to me when I was in it...and continues to be very good to me as I try to pass some on.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:20 »

Let's see how far we can stretch that 'record!'  ;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1482

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #118 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:58 »
 ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #119 on: Mar 07, 2013, 02:34 »
Once more from the top...with feeling;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1483

Thanks again to everyone who helped make that possible!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #120 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:35 »
Most of the time life just seems pretty 'normal' here...folks-is-folks... But, occasionally I get reminded that I'm NOT in Kansas anymore...

One of these moments happened a few weeks ago when a co-teacher was telling me about this wonderful movie he saw...'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.  I agreed with him that it was great.  But, then he re-calibrated me by asking if it was 'real' or not...  
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:40 »
It's not real?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #122 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:11 »
Most of the time life just seems pretty 'normal' here...folks-is-folks... But, occasionally I get reminded that I'm NOT in Kansas anymore...

One of the teachers at the high school got a job as a translator for a medical NGO.  On his first day, they went for a tour of the various facilities where he will be working.  He was telling me about it when he got home.  He said, "I was embarrassed. We took car and I got up okay. But when we go to hospital, I couldn't get down. They asked why I don't get down and I told them, 'I don't know how to get down from car...I have only ridden in cart before.' "

Reminded me that things are different here...a college-educated professional in his late twenties may not have ridden in a closed vehicle before, so doesn't recognize door handles...

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 08:15 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #123 on: Mar 26, 2013, 11:09 »
One of the teachers at the high school got a job as a translator for a medical NGO.  On his first day, they went for a tour of the various facilities where he will be working.  He was telling me about it when he got home.  He said, "I was embarrassed. We took car and I got up okay. But when we go to hospital, I couldn't get down. They asked why I don't get down and I told them, 'I don't know how to get down from car...I have only ridden in cart before.' "

Reminded me that things are different here...a college-educated professional in his late twenties may not have ridden in a closed vehicle before, so doesn't recognize door handles...

In a discussion about the success of the US in the 20th century I was told that it was in part because we were a country of shade tree mechanics. That statement made much more sense when I traveled out side the country as you are now. I suspect many of us are envious of that naïve and simplistic life style, success as defined by society can also a burden for the individual. I envy you your experiences and applaud your efforts. I some times wonder about attempts to westernize cultures to advance them and think about the snake in Eden bringing the fruit of knowledge. Peace Corp efforts seem to help without altering culture very much, one of our best exports.

Again my envious thanks for a job well done please continue to share your experiences and pictures for us voyeurs  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #124 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:50 »
...please continue to share your experiences and pictures for us voyeurs  ;)

Is the Picture Gallery open for new photos again?  I still get an "Error - You don't have permission to perform this operation." message when I try to upload pictures...
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 09:51 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #125 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:00 »
Is the Picture Gallery open for new photos again?  I still get an "Error - You don't have permission to perform this operation." message when I try to upload pictures...

Mike ???

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #126 on: Mar 27, 2013, 12:55 »
   I don't know how well news travels over there but I got the news of this tragedy in Thailand off a site I frequent. Some of the pictures are a little disturbing and were provided by a group called the Free Burma Rangers who are a humanitarian organization though you could not tell from their name.
   Do these refugees or the ethnic war spill over into Cambodia?

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/tragedy-in-thailand.htm

http://www.freeburmarangers.org/

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2013, 04:24 by Marlin »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #127 on: Mar 27, 2013, 04:04 »
Is the Picture Gallery open for new photos again?  I still get an "Error - You don't have permission to perform this operation." message when I try to upload pictures...

I dunno.  I'm in outage at the moment.  Can you check back with me in a month?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #128 on: Mar 27, 2013, 09:32 »
I dunno.  I'm in outage at the moment.  Can you check back with me in a month?

Thanks, Mike!  I'll check back.  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #129 on: Mar 27, 2013, 09:38 »
  I don't know how well news travels over there but I got the news of this tragedy in Thailand off a site I frequent. Some of the pictures are a little disturbing and were provided by a group called the Free Burma Rangers who are a humanitarian organization though you could not tell from their name.
   Do these refugees or the ethnic war spill over into Cambodia?

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/tragedy-in-thailand.htm

http://www.freeburmarangers.org/

wow...  :(  I hadn't heard about that fire...my heart goes out to them.

I visited Burma about ten years ago and was appalled at how repressive the gov't was then.  I had hoped that the new leaders would reach a quick settlement in their internal conflicts, but that hasn't been the case yet...  :(

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #130 on: Apr 18, 2013, 07:33 »

New project has been approved:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1531

Depending on how long this one takes, it could be the last...so if anyone still wanted to be part of this, now is the time.  (I'm hoping I will still have time left to get another after this, but the whole country is shut down right now for Khmer New Year...and portions will stay closed until May...so not expecting to get started for a couple of weeks...)

THANKS!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #131 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:31 »

I saw a weird one the other day.  A pick-up and a motorcycle screeched to a halt inches from each other.  Just another near-death experience in the daily drama that is Cambodian transportation.  Usually everyone just smiles and continues on their way.  This time the motorcycle driver lost his cool and started screaming at the pickup driver.  So the pickup driver backs away...and then slams his truck into gear and runs into the motorcycle!  Pushes him about 40 feet...across the intersection and sidewalk...and crushes the motorcycle against a building.  The moto rider fell off at the last second and wasn't crushed.  So the pickup driver swings around and tries to back over him!

And, here's the disturbing part about that whole incident.  Not the violence...plenty of road rage in the States...  No, what really freaked me out and made me re-consider whether I understand my surroundings was the reaction of my friends in the village when I told them the story.  Every single Cambodian I told that story said basically, "Yeah, we would have tried to kill the moto driver, too."    ??? ??? ??? :( :( :(

My new take is that 'face' is so important that, once you lose it, you have nothing holding you back, so you jump straight to murder...none of the stages (yelling back, fist fight, etc) that the average American might find more 'normal' in a similar confrontation...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #132 on: Apr 27, 2013, 05:57 »
Guess it's about time to say this again:

The contents of my posts in this thread are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.  :)

Offline song of the south

• Light User
« Reply #133 on: Apr 29, 2013, 11:16 »
My heart goes out to those people. I can't imagine what their going through. Events like that definitely give you another perspective on your on life. I mean so many people spend their time complaining about things like having a trailer instead of two story, brick house or a condo on the beach. These people don't have a homes at all, and the ones they did have where made out of bamboo. What is wrong with us?
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2013, 11:17 »
WOO-HOO!  We have liftoff on the sports court construction!  :)  It's a HUGE relief to finally be breaking ground.

Thanks to everyone who donated to make this possible!   :)
It's been a great month...lots happening:

Work on the high school sports court continues...foundation is in place and dirt brought up to grade.  I will post pictures of the students moving the dirt...  Now the masons are positioning rock so they can begin pouring the slab.  Thanks again to all who donated to make this sports court possible.
We have begun pouring the slab and will finish it in the next week, if the weather and other variables remain favorable.  :)
Well, we had a long delay due to the rainy weather.  But I sure won't complain, because that meant the villagers finally got to transplant their rice.  Usually that happens in May or June, so...very late this year.  If the drought had continued, the food supply was going to be tight.  They expect a reduced crop this year, but hope to get 70% of normal, so everyone hopes that will be enough to get us through until next year.

Anyway, the slab on the sports court is finished.  We just need to fabricate and hang the backboards, paint the lines, and start playing some hoops!  :)

Thanks again to all who contributed!  :)

I was looking back over the past two years' posts and noticed that I had left the sports court narrative hanging. So...

We had the backboards in place and the lines painted around Christmas.  We have been enjoying the court all of this year.  We formed teams for both the girls and the boys and they practice each day after school.  We are extremely fortunate to have a former member of the Cambodian national basketball team living in the district and she volunteered to coach the teams, so the kids are getting an incredible opportunity.

We have been keeping the court in nearly constant use during school breaks and after school.  The kids and the rest of the village come out to use it not just for basketball, but for soccer, hackey, badminton, and as a general meeting place.  We have also used it as a school assembly area for programs and dances...and the students staged their International Women's Day program on it.

Thanks again for everyone's support!  :)

Also, an update on the rice harvest: it was sufficient that we have made it through this far with no obvious shortages.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2013, 04:26 »
Just finished an incredible book - Half the Sky, by Nicholas D Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn.  I can't recommend the book enough, esp. for anyone who clicked this thread because it said 'Peace Corps'.

I can't even begin to list all the great information that this book exposed me to, but one invaluable tool it mentioned is http://www.charitynavigator.org/ - a website that lets you compare efficiencies of charities you are consider donating to.

modified for clarity
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:38 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2013, 08:53 »

One of these moments happened a few weeks ago when a co-teacher was telling me about this wonderful movie he saw...'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.  I agreed with him that it was great.  But, then he re-calibrated me by asking if it was 'real' or not...  

And, sometimes it's me that makes them do a double-take...

I got the 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' song stuck in my head the other day -

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,107.msg172509.html#msg172509
(It is a song I like because I can remember all the words to the chorus! ;))

So I'm bouncing all over the school's resource room singing as I wait for my adult students to arrive for their evening class.  It's only after I look up and see them all standing agog in the doorway that I remember...'Joy' is the Khmer word for sexual intercourse...   :o

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:11 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2013, 09:46 »

And, sometimes it's me that makes them do a double-take...

I got the 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' song stuck in my head the other day -

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,107.msg172509.html#msg172509
(It is a song I like because I can remember all the words to the chorus! ;))

So I'm bouncing all over the school's resource room singing as I wait for my adult students to arrive for their evening class.  It's only after I look up and see them all standing agog in the doorway that I remember...'Joy' is the Khmer word for sexual intercourse...   :o

You could not understand what they were saying at the beginning of the movie but by the end you were speaking caveman, Zug Zug was caveman for sex. Loved that movie.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:47 by Marlin »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10 »
You could not understand what they were saying at the beginning of the movie but by the end you were speaking caveman, Zug Zug was caveman for sex. Loved that movie.

សុទ្ធតែឣន្ចងពេញទូកហាះយើង ។
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:49 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2013, 05:44 »
Let's see how far we can stretch that 'record!'  ;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1482

This one's been done for a while, but the staff at Appropriate Projects had been traveling, so the completion photos just got posted:

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1579

modified for wording
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:36 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12 »

New project has been approved:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1531

Depending on how long this one takes, it could be the last...so if anyone still wanted to be part of this, now is the time.  (I'm hoping I will still have time left to get another after this, but the whole country is shut down right now for Khmer New Year...and portions will stay closed until May...so not expecting to get started for a couple of weeks...)

THANKS!  :)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1585

Thanks for making this happen!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00 »

I dunno.  I'm in outage at the moment.  Can you check back with me in a month?

Looks like we're back with the pictures!  :)

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-587.html

Thanks, Mike!  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:21 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2013, 10:03 »
We finished up the last "last project" so quickly that we get to do an encore!

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1587

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:23 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #143 on: Jun 08, 2013, 07:20 »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #144 on: Jun 10, 2013, 11:56 »

They've got their rhythm down now!

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1631

NOTE:  I got carried away on the photos this time!  Sorry!

But...I have to admit I'm proud of The Snake Guy.  And the codger perched on the picnic table!  ;)

...not to mention that killer sunbonnet!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2013, 05:35 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #145 on: Jun 15, 2013, 10:02 »

This one may have to get passed on to another PCV, but:

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1643

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #146 on: Jun 19, 2013, 10:24 »
Random thoughts heard in Cambodia:

Don't happy til cry.

How are you tomorrow?

I'm not easy body.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2013, 11:20 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #147 on: Jul 10, 2013, 04:25 »
WOOHOO!  I win!  I made it to the end of my two years' service and am off to new adventures!

Thanks so much to everyone on here that supported me in so many ways...  Financially on all the projects we were able to complete together, but ESPECIALLY mentally by giving me a touchstone to my old world.

For anyone that got addicted to helping small villages in Cambodia, the PCV that lived about 12km from me is still there for two more months and is doing:
http://www.appropriateprojects.com/node/1620

...and after that...any of the Appropriate Projects work will get more of your money directly to the needy (in a country where a dollar buys a LOT) than any other charity I know, so...it's the one I will support once I am working again.

THANKS!  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2013, 05:55 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #148 on: Aug 04, 2013, 05:31 »
I feel a bit responsible for talking one of the other volunteers into building a sports court, too.  And now her´s has gone over-budget like mine did...dang inflation...  Anyway, if anyone is jonesing for a Peace Corps project to help out, this would be a good one.  Thanks!

http://www.courtsforkids.org/donate.html   ...and then click on the "Cambodia - Neysa Peterson" button.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2013, 05:44 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #149 on: Aug 08, 2013, 12:48 »
I feel a bit responsible for talking one of the other volunteers into building a sports court, too.  And now her´s has gone over-budget like mine did...dang inflation...  Anyway, if anyone is jonesing for a Peace Corps project to help out, this would be a good one.  Thanks!

http://www.courtsforkids.org/donate.html   ...and then click on the "Cambodia - Neysa Peterson" button.  :)

I got on their website to make a donation and the credit card processor was going to charge me forty dollars, so...  Here's where to send a check:

Courts for Kids
PO Box 873786
Vancouver, WA 98687

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #150 on: Aug 20, 2013, 02:35 »
We could:

1. Look a the plant poll numbers and choose the one with the lowest rating (for obvious reasons)

3. Name it after the real reason it got funded and call it Poo Graabi -- or, better yet, Graabi's Poo.

Okay...

This probably sets some kind of record for the slowest anyone has ever responded to a great idea on this website, but...I finally got this taken care of!   :)  Sorry it was so slow, but it is extremely easy to hurt people's feelings in Cambodia.  Once the sub-director had the stencil made to paint the donor list, I didn't feel I could change anything for a while.  Fortunately, when I approached him about it just before I left, he was very receptive to the idea of me adding to the donor plaque, so...

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-587-9817.html

As you can see (although you might have to squint for #3) I incorporated ALL of the ideas!  :)  I even put the 'Graabi's Poo'...but it's around back on the top of the septic tank, so you'll have to make a visit to Chum Kiri to see it!  ;)  Also, I censored the donor list so that I wouldn't 'out' anyone who hadn't already posted their support in this thread.  You can see who the censored donors are while you are in Chum Kiri!

Thanks again to everyone who made this project (and all of the others) possible!

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Note:  I was slow posting this because my SD card became unformatted just before I left Cambodia and I didn't get a chance to recover the photos off it until I got back home...
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2013, 03:16 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: Aug 20, 2013, 07:57 »
I am truly honored...  ;D :P

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #152 on: Sep 16, 2013, 03:25 »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/cambodia-politics-idINL3N0HC0KR20130916

Cambodian opposition rallies for second day after protest death

* Clashes present major test for PM's long rule

* One man reported shot dead, several wounded

* Opposition claims electoral fraud denied it victory

Looks like things are not going well in Cambodia since the election...  :( 

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #153 on: Sep 16, 2013, 03:31 »
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/cambodia-politics-idINL3N0HC0KR20130916

Sorry to hear this, I hope it does not spread to the area where you made friends over there.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #154 on: Sep 17, 2013, 10:08 »
Sorry to hear this, I hope it does not spread to the area where you made friends over there.

No news on any of the web today, but friends over there say the CPP (the PM's party that is being protested against) has agreed to form a new National Election Committee that will be free of his control, so they are hopeful that the protests will stop now.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #155 on: Sep 30, 2013, 10:25 »
I just found an easy way to send a little bit more money to Appropriate Projects to help in Cambodia.  There's a search engine, GoodSearch.com, that donates a penny for every search you make.  Just pick Water Charity (Appropriate Projects' parent organization) as your charity when you sign up.

http://www.goodsearch.com/

They have some other connected websites, like GoodShopping.com, that make larger donations, but I haven't played with them enough to recommend them yet.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #156 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:04 »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/03/cambodia-protest-idINL3N0KD0RY20140103

Cambodian forces open fire as factory strikes turn violent

* Rights group condemns "extreme lethal force"

PHNOM PENH, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Cambodian military police opened fire with assault rifles on Friday to quell a protest by garment factory workers demanding higher pay, and human rights workers said at least four people were killed.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #158 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:56 »
A little news from Cambodia  :)

Creaky Trains Made of Bamboo Still Rule the Rails in Cambodia

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304558804579375600262482752?mod=djemITP_h&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304558804579375600262482752.html%3Fmod%3DdjemITP_h

Cool article.  Thanks!  :)

I saw them using those up by Battambang, but didn't get to ride them...none down south where I was.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #159 on: Jun 17, 2014, 05:33 »

Again, kudos to everyone who chipped in on the Appropriate Projects/Water Charity projects.  :)

We were so successful that we attracted the attention of a large donor, WHOLE WORLD Water, who has given $10,800 specifically to continue projects like we started in Cambodia (and a total of $75,000 for projects worldwide)!

http://watercharity.org/node/417

We are pleased to announce the implementation of the Water Charity WHOLE WORLD Water Program – Cambodia.

In partnership with WHOLE WORLD Water, the program will be carried out by Water Charity, in coordination with the United States Peace Corps, to provide running water for people in rural areas of Cambodia.

The program is a concentrated effort to build new water projects in areas of great need. In its initial phase, 6 new projects will be implemented in various locations in Cambodia, and will directly benefit at least 1,800 people.

The program will focus on all aspects of supplying drinking water, with the allied objective of also providing water for sanitation, hygiene, and agriculture. Benefits will be sought in reducing morbidity and mortality, improving quality of life, improving food security, and providing economic benefits for direct participants and the community at large.

THANKS AGAIN!  The seeds you planted continue to grow...and attract more funding!

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2014, 06:19 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #160 on: Dec 26, 2016, 02:28 »
I was looking back over the past two years' posts and noticed that I had left the sports court narrative hanging. So...

We had the backboards in place and the lines painted around Christmas.  We have been enjoying the court all of this year.  We formed teams for both the girls and the boys and they practice each day after school.  We are extremely fortunate to have a former member of the Cambodian national basketball team living in the district and she volunteered to coach the teams, so the kids are getting an incredible opportunity.

We have been keeping the court in nearly constant use during school breaks and after school.  The kids and the rest of the village come out to use it not just for basketball, but for soccer, hackey, badminton, and as a general meeting place.  We have also used it as a school assembly area for programs and dances...and the students staged their International Women's Day program on it.

Thanks again for everyone's support!  :)

Also, an update on the rice harvest: it was sufficient that we have made it through this far with no obvious shortages.

I got an email from one of my co-teachers the other day. The high school basketball team won the regional tournament this year! So they are getting good use out of the sports court. :-)
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2016, 02:33 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:39 »
Sounds like they are getting good use out of the coach, too. Congrats!

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #162 on: Feb 06, 2022, 01:42 »
My main Cambodian counterpart on many of these water projects, Tim Savin, is now Country Director for an NGO, Banyan Tree Organization (BTO)    http://www.banyantreeorganization.com/     They run a few schools & do water projects mostly to benefit victims of land mines & unexploded ordinance.

Anyone wishing to help them with their projects can donate via https://www.barbaraseagram.com/cambodia-laos-fundraising-support.html     100% of your donation goes directly to Cambodia for use in-country, as the volunteers from Canada all pay their own expenses to help.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2022, 02:57 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #163 on: Sep 04, 2022, 11:30 »
I got an email from one of my co-teachers the other day. The high school basketball team won the regional tournament this year! So they are getting good use out of the sports court. :-)

Another update from one of my co-teachers:  "FYI...Angchork high school basketball players have become the number 1 players in Kampot province now."

Thanks again to all the NukeWorkers who helped make their basketball court a reality!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: Sep 04, 2022, 08:12 »
Outstanding!

Congrats again.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?