Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RETIRED...to Peace Corps!

Author Topic: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!  (Read 142665 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #150 on: Aug 20, 2013, 02:35 »
We could:

1. Look a the plant poll numbers and choose the one with the lowest rating (for obvious reasons)

2. Call it 'Barnwell' (because that is where the nuclear world has been sending all of its sh_t for decades.)

3. Name it after the real reason it got funded and call it Poo Graabi -- or, better yet, Graabi's Poo.

Okay...

This probably sets some kind of record for the slowest anyone has ever responded to a great idea on this website, but...I finally got this taken care of!   :)  Sorry it was so slow, but it is extremely easy to hurt people's feelings in Cambodia.  Once the sub-director had the stencil made to paint the donor list, I didn't feel I could change anything for a while.  Fortunately, when I approached him about it just before I left, he was very receptive to the idea of me adding to the donor plaque, so...

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-587-9817.html

As you can see (although you might have to squint for #3) I incorporated ALL of the ideas!  :)  I even put the 'Graabi's Poo'...but it's around back on the top of the septic tank, so you'll have to make a visit to Chum Kiri to see it!  ;)  Also, I censored the donor list so that I wouldn't 'out' anyone who hadn't already posted their support in this thread.  You can see who the censored donors are while you are in Chum Kiri!

Thanks again to everyone who made this project (and all of the others) possible!

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Note:  I was slow posting this because my SD card became unformatted just before I left Cambodia and I didn't get a chance to recover the photos off it until I got back home...
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2013, 03:16 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #151 on: Aug 20, 2013, 07:57 »
I am truly honored...  ;D :P
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #152 on: Sep 16, 2013, 03:25 »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/cambodia-politics-idINL3N0HC0KR20130916

Cambodian opposition rallies for second day after protest death

* Clashes present major test for PM's long rule

* One man reported shot dead, several wounded

* Opposition claims electoral fraud denied it victory

Looks like things are not going well in Cambodia since the election...  :( 

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #153 on: Sep 16, 2013, 03:31 »
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/cambodia-politics-idINL3N0HC0KR20130916

Sorry to hear this, I hope it does not spread to the area where you made friends over there.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #154 on: Sep 17, 2013, 10:08 »
Sorry to hear this, I hope it does not spread to the area where you made friends over there.

No news on any of the web today, but friends over there say the CPP (the PM's party that is being protested against) has agreed to form a new National Election Committee that will be free of his control, so they are hopeful that the protests will stop now.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #155 on: Sep 30, 2013, 10:25 »
I just found an easy way to send a little bit more money to Appropriate Projects to help in Cambodia.  There's a search engine, GoodSearch.com, that donates a penny for every search you make.  Just pick Water Charity (Appropriate Projects' parent organization) as your charity when you sign up.

http://www.goodsearch.com/

They have some other connected websites, like GoodShopping.com, that make larger donations, but I haven't played with them enough to recommend them yet.

:)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #156 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:04 »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/03/cambodia-protest-idINL3N0KD0RY20140103

Cambodian forces open fire as factory strikes turn violent

* Rights group condemns "extreme lethal force"

PHNOM PENH, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Cambodian military police opened fire with assault rifles on Friday to quell a protest by garment factory workers demanding higher pay, and human rights workers said at least four people were killed.

:(

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #158 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:56 »
A little news from Cambodia  :)

Creaky Trains Made of Bamboo Still Rule the Rails in Cambodia

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304558804579375600262482752?mod=djemITP_h&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304558804579375600262482752.html%3Fmod%3DdjemITP_h

Cool article.  Thanks!  :)

I saw them using those up by Battambang, but didn't get to ride them...none down south where I was.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #159 on: Jun 17, 2014, 05:33 »

Again, kudos to everyone who chipped in on the Appropriate Projects/Water Charity projects.  :)

We were so successful that we attracted the attention of a large donor, WHOLE WORLD Water, who has given $10,800 specifically to continue projects like we started in Cambodia (and a total of $75,000 for projects worldwide)!

http://watercharity.org/node/417

We are pleased to announce the implementation of the Water Charity WHOLE WORLD Water Program – Cambodia.

In partnership with WHOLE WORLD Water, the program will be carried out by Water Charity, in coordination with the United States Peace Corps, to provide running water for people in rural areas of Cambodia.

The program is a concentrated effort to build new water projects in areas of great need. In its initial phase, 6 new projects will be implemented in various locations in Cambodia, and will directly benefit at least 1,800 people.

The program will focus on all aspects of supplying drinking water, with the allied objective of also providing water for sanitation, hygiene, and agriculture. Benefits will be sought in reducing morbidity and mortality, improving quality of life, improving food security, and providing economic benefits for direct participants and the community at large.

THANKS AGAIN!  The seeds you planted continue to grow...and attract more funding!

:)
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2014, 06:19 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #160 on: Dec 26, 2016, 02:28 »
I was looking back over the past two years' posts and noticed that I had left the sports court narrative hanging. So...

We had the backboards in place and the lines painted around Christmas.  We have been enjoying the court all of this year.  We formed teams for both the girls and the boys and they practice each day after school.  We are extremely fortunate to have a former member of the Cambodian national basketball team living in the district and she volunteered to coach the teams, so the kids are getting an incredible opportunity.

We have been keeping the court in nearly constant use during school breaks and after school.  The kids and the rest of the village come out to use it not just for basketball, but for soccer, hackey, badminton, and as a general meeting place.  We have also used it as a school assembly area for programs and dances...and the students staged their International Women's Day program on it.

Thanks again for everyone's support!  :)

Also, an update on the rice harvest: it was sufficient that we have made it through this far with no obvious shortages.

I got an email from one of my co-teachers the other day. The high school basketball team won the regional tournament this year! So they are getting good use out of the sports court. :-)
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2016, 02:33 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:39 »
Sounds like they are getting good use out of the coach, too. Congrats!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #162 on: Feb 06, 2022, 01:42 »
My main Cambodian counterpart on many of these water projects, Tim Savin, is now Country Director for an NGO, Banyan Tree Organization (BTO)    http://www.banyantreeorganization.com/     They run a few schools & do water projects mostly to benefit victims of land mines & unexploded ordinance.

Anyone wishing to help them with their projects can donate via https://www.barbaraseagram.com/cambodia-laos-fundraising-support.html     100% of your donation goes directly to Cambodia for use in-country, as the volunteers from Canada all pay their own expenses to help.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2022, 02:57 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #163 on: Sep 04, 2022, 11:30 »
I got an email from one of my co-teachers the other day. The high school basketball team won the regional tournament this year! So they are getting good use out of the sports court. :-)

Another update from one of my co-teachers:  "FYI...Angchork high school basketball players have become the number 1 players in Kampot province now."

Thanks again to all the NukeWorkers who helped make their basketball court a reality!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: Sep 04, 2022, 08:12 »
Outstanding!

Congrats again.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?