News and Discussions > Nuke Community

RETIRED...to Peace Corps!

<< < (33/33)

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: UncaBuffalo on May 01, 2013, 11:17 ---I was looking back over the past two years' posts and noticed that I had left the sports court narrative hanging. So...

We had the backboards in place and the lines painted around Christmas.  We have been enjoying the court all of this year.  We formed teams for both the girls and the boys and they practice each day after school.  We are extremely fortunate to have a former member of the Cambodian national basketball team living in the district and she volunteered to coach the teams, so the kids are getting an incredible opportunity.

We have been keeping the court in nearly constant use during school breaks and after school.  The kids and the rest of the village come out to use it not just for basketball, but for soccer, hackey, badminton, and as a general meeting place.  We have also used it as a school assembly area for programs and dances...and the students staged their International Women's Day program on it.

Thanks again for everyone's support!  :)

Also, an update on the rice harvest: it was sufficient that we have made it through this far with no obvious shortages.

--- End quote ---

I got an email from one of my co-teachers the other day. The high school basketball team won the regional tournament this year! So they are getting good use out of the sports court. :-)

RDTroja:
Sounds like they are getting good use out of the coach, too. Congrats!

UncaBuffalo:
My main Cambodian counterpart on many of these water projects, Tim Savin, is now Country Director for an NGO, Banyan Tree Organization (BTO)    http://www.banyantreeorganization.com/     They run a few schools & do water projects mostly to benefit victims of land mines & unexploded ordinance.

Anyone wishing to help them with their projects can donate via https://www.barbaraseagram.com/cambodia-laos-fundraising-support.html     100% of your donation goes directly to Cambodia for use in-country, as the volunteers from Canada all pay their own expenses to help.

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: UncaBuffalo on Dec 26, 2016, 02:28 ---I got an email from one of my co-teachers the other day. The high school basketball team won the regional tournament this year! So they are getting good use out of the sports court. :-)

--- End quote ---

Another update from one of my co-teachers:  "FYI...Angchork high school basketball players have become the number 1 players in Kampot province now."

Thanks again to all the NukeWorkers who helped make their basketball court a reality!

RDTroja:
Outstanding!

Congrats again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version