Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RETIRED...to Peace Corps! honeypot

Author Topic: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!  (Read 142657 times)

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
Re: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #75 on: Jun 01, 2012, 09:30 »
 Thanks Nukeworkers and My Left wing friend DW. Thank You UnCaBuffalo for getting Nukeworkers together on a good project.  
You can see the Right Door is NM for Nukeman and DW for Dave Warren on the Left.  We argue alot in PolySci.  But when the Right wing and Left Wing Got together we  helped made this project fly along with many other Nukeworkers.  The Nukeworker sign can be seen on this too.  OK  this is not Polysci so lets not make any Poly  Sci comments here.  Just want to point out a good thing done by all!!!!!!! :) 8) +K <3 [GH] [salute] [prize] [clap] [clap] [thanks] [thanks] [dowave] [dowave]  Click on this picture to  see DW, NM and Nukeworker sign clearer, can even click twice to make bigger
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 09:31 by thenukeman »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #76 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:25 »
Thanks Nukeworkers and My Left wing friend DW. Thank You UnCaBuffalo for getting Nukeworkers together on a good project.  
You can see the Right Door is NM for Nukeman and DW for Dave Warren on the Left.  We argue alot in PolySci.  But when the Right wing and Left Wing Got together we  helped made this project fly along with many other Nukeworkers.  The Nukeworker sign can be seen on this too.  OK  this is not Polysci so lets not make any Poly  Sci comments here.  Just want to point out a good thing done by all!!!!!!! :) 8) +K <3 [GH] [salute] [prize] [clap] [clap] [thanks] [thanks] [dowave] [dowave]  Click on this picture to  see DW, NM and Nukeworker sign clearer, can even click twice to make bigger

Thanks again to all the NukeWorkers who made that latrine possible!  :)

...and, if anyone wants to do a similar project:

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1165

;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #77 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:10 »
WOO-HOO!  We have liftoff on the sports court construction!  :)

Dump Trucks!!!  

Bulldozer!!!  

Dudes leaning on shovels!!!  ;)

Sorry for the (over-)exuberance, but those of you who have been keeping score at home know this one has been a bit of a [train] for the past six months.  It's a HUGE relief to finally be breaking ground.

Thanks to everyone who donated to make this possible!  I will be posting pictures soon and often!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 08:13 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 »
It's been a great month...lots happening:

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails-579.html

The U.S. Marines and Navy sent a medical mission to conduct 'exchanges' with various hospitals and medical centers in Cambodia.  They had been to my district last year to perform a public clinic, and returned this time to allow six area health centers to participate in a one-day exchange.  It was held at my high school, so nice to be a part of it.

Work on the high school sports court continues...foundation is in place and dirt brought up to grade.  I will post pictures of the students moving the dirt...  Now the masons are positioning rock so they can begin pouring the slab.  Thanks again to all who donated to make this sports court possible.

The Samarky Primary School well project was delayed for about a week while the drilling rig was repaired.  We were able to complete the well and pad last week!  Thanks to those who contributed to the well fund to make it possible.

The school year is drawing to an end and some of my co-teachers took me up to Bokor Mountain National Park to celebrate.  It is beautiful up there...nice to see an intact forest. (Unfortunately, that is the first intact forest I have seen in Cambodia, as logging...legal & illegal...has pretty much decimated the rest of the country's ecosystems.)

I have another latrine project (for a primary school up the valley) in the proposal stage...and will post pictures of it, the well project, and the continuing sports court work as they become available.

Thanks again for all the support (emotional and financial) you have been giving me and my community!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012, 02:59 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #80 on: Jul 08, 2012, 12:15 »
Some people have asked about cost-of-living and cost-of-travel in Cambodia, so...

(Note:  My Cambodian co-teachers are paid between $65 and $105 per month.)

Housing:  I pay $100 per month, which gets me a furnished room (bed, chair, table) with use of a squat toilet and splash bath.  Electricity, water, and one meal per day included.

Locals can get a small, two-room house for about $30 per month.

(Note: This is housing costs in a village.  For Phnom Penh muliply by five to ten)

Guesthouses ($6 to $8 per night with hot water and fan.  Add $5 for A/C)

Food: Meals served with unlimited hot or cold tea.

Breakfast...plate of rice with a few bites of meat or egg and about 1/4 cucumber. ($0.75)

Lunch/Supper...unlimited rice, with a plate of whatever the restaurant cooked...usually 2 or 3 dishes to choose from.  ($1.25)

Snacks -
      Noodles...fried or in soup  ($0.75)
      Cambodian crepe  ($0.75)
      Soda pop  ($0.38)
      Pack of cookies or crackers ($0.25)

Transportation:

Longer Distances - Bus or share taxi ($0.75 to $1.50 per hour)

Short Distances - Moto ($0.25, plus $0.10 per km)
                      - Moto-Cart ($0.50, plus $0.25 per km)

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2012, 05:27 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Jul 26, 2012, 05:30 »
Been down for about a week with dengue fever, but back to my village now... 

Got another latrine proposal approved:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247  :)

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #82 on: Jul 26, 2012, 06:54 »
Sorry to hear you have “breakbone” or dengue fever. It is notoriously painful and hard to treat. Due to the ban on DDT, many people suffer needlessly.

Thank God for bathrooms when we need one. I hope that the Nukeworker crew can throw some spare change in to get the next one built. One hour of OT would mean a lot to your friends in Cambodia.

I hope you get well soon.

Bigchris

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #83 on: Jul 27, 2012, 01:51 »
Sorry to hear you have “breakbone” or dengue fever. It is notoriously painful and hard to treat. Due to the ban on DDT, many people suffer needlessly.

I hope you get well soon.

Bigchris

Thanks!  I am almost back to normal and they released me back to my village, so life is good.  It's been an incredibly heavy year for dengue here and we've had several PCVs who got it so bad they had to be medevac'd to Thailand as a precaution (to be near a safe blood supply in case of need for a transfusion.)

Unfortunately, the general Cambodian population doesn't have access to that level of health care:

http://vaccinenewsdaily.com/asia/319386-dengue-fever-kills-60-children-in-cambodia-between-january-and-june/

Between January and June, dengue fever killed 60 children in Cambodia, which is up from 23 deaths during the same time period in 2011.

According to the National Center of Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control, there have been 15,597 cases of dengue fever between January and June, representing a 239 percent increase year-on-year. There were 4,604 cases of dengue fever during the same time period in 2011...

surf50

« Reply #84 on: Jul 27, 2012, 10:48 »
Interesting article about using genetically modified mosquitoes to combat Dengue fever, and the resistance towards this technology..
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/09/120709fa_fact_specter
(sorry, could only get the abbreviated version for free)

Feel better soon.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Jul 30, 2012, 05:09 »
Interesting article about using genetically modified mosquitoes to combat Dengue fever, and the resistance towards this technology..
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/09/120709fa_fact_specter
(sorry, could only get the abbreviated version for free)

Feel better soon.

Thanks!

...for the link and the get-well!  :)

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #86 on: Aug 08, 2012, 04:22 »
Been down for about a week with dengue fever, but back to my village now... 

Got another latrine proposal approved:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247   :)

Hello UncaBuffalo,
I hope that you are recovering. If I could, I would like to mention the health benefits of your latrine project. As I just left a small deposit there, (the non-smelly kind), I can attest to the fact that I feel great, both physically and mentally, about having done so.
I encourage our friends here to visit the bathroom site and leave a little something. http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247
Bigchris

surf50

« Reply #87 on: Aug 13, 2012, 01:18 »
I encourage our friends here to visit the bathroom site and leave a little something. http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1247
Bigchris

OK, Done.

Cathy

« Reply #88 on: Aug 13, 2012, 08:40 »
Rich & I both left a small deposit and would like to encourage others to donate!
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 10:35 by Cathy »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #89 on: Aug 17, 2012, 06:08 »
Thanks to all who have made donations to the Latrine project!  Construction started last Sunday and they are making such good time that they think they might finish tomorrow!  They just have a little more stucco & tile to do and then they can paint it.  Sorry I haven't been able to post any pictures...the upload function is having problems.  Hope all donors got the pictures I emailed?

Thanks again!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #90 on: Sep 07, 2012, 10:36 »
Thanks to all who have made donations to the Latrine project!  Construction started last Sunday and they are making such good time that they think they might finish tomorrow!  They just have a little more stucco & tile to do and then they can paint it.  Sorry I haven't been able to post any pictures...the upload function is having problems.  Hope all donors got the pictures I emailed?

Thanks again!  :)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1303

Thanks again to all who chipped in to make that possible!  :)

...and thanks to everyone who supported the sports court!  We have begun pouring the slab and will finish it in the next week, if the weather and other variables remain favorable.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2012, 03:40 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: Sep 12, 2012, 01:53 »
Got approval for another well-drilling project:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1307

:)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #92 on: Oct 12, 2012, 03:45 »
...and thanks to everyone who supported the sports court!  We have begun pouring the slab and will finish it in the next week, if the weather and other variables remain favorable.  :)

Well, we had a long delay due to the rainy weather.  But I sure won't complain, because that meant the villagers finally got to transplant their rice.  Usually that happens in May or June, so...very late this year.  If the drought had continued, the food supply was going to be tight.  They expect a reduced crop this year, but hope to get 70% of normal, so everyone hopes that will be enough to get us through until next year.

Anyway, the slab on the sports court is finished.  We just need to fabricate and hang the backboards, paint the lines, and start playing some hoops!  :)

Thanks again to all who contributed!  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 03:47 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:51 »
Sounds like things are going well there. Glad y'all finally got some rain. I have enjoyed photos and look forward to more. Is there anything I can send to children or you as a treat? I'd love to send a huge goody box or whatever. Keep up the good work.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: Oct 26, 2012, 07:42 »
Sounds like things are going well there. Glad y'all finally got some rain. I have enjoyed photos and look forward to more. Is there anything I can send to children or you as a treat? I'd love to send a huge goody box or whatever. Keep up the good work.

I sure appreciate the goody box offer!  But, with postal prices so high and the availability of nearly everything in Phnom Penh, it never makes any sense to me to have stuff sent over.  Even a small box from the States costs around $50 in postage.

Thanks again for the thought!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:06 »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/21/world/asia/obama-in-cambodia-sidesteps-the-ghosts-of-history.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Note:  This is NOT intended as any kind of political statement, but merely a reminder that Cambodia still has issues...and that some of it's historical issues were caused by people outside of its borders.

Note 2:  And, as stated before, such is only my opinion and in no way reflects the opinions or policies of Peace Corps.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2012, 02:02 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #98 on: Dec 08, 2012, 05:08 »
https://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures?feature=watch

check out this channel on youtube.  all kinds of good stuff.  right up your alley and maybe others interested in this post.  I don't even watch cable anymore.....netflix and youtube.  They have a good one about all the crap china is building, but no one rents it!  ghost cities....probably some good stuff on cambodia I haven't checked yet...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #99 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:02 »
https://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures?feature=watch

check out this channel on youtube.  all kinds of good stuff.  right up your alley and maybe others interested in this post.  I don't even watch cable anymore.....netflix and youtube.  They have a good one about all the crap china is building, but no one rents it!  ghost cities....probably some good stuff on cambodia I haven't checked yet...

Looks like good stuff, but I'm using a really slow modem, so...guess it'll have to wait 'til I'm home...

Thanks for the thought!  :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?