Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RETIRED...to Peace Corps!

Author Topic: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!  (Read 142686 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:03 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

If any of you make it through SE Asia in the next couple of years, look me up.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2011, 10:20 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Sun Dog

Re: I'm "RETIRED!" ...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:12 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

How can I respond to that declaration other than saying congratulations, good luck, stay safe, and stay in touch.

Awesome.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:21 »
Congratulations and good luck!!! Very admirable indeed!

Will you still be able to stop by here now and then?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:54 »
Congratulations and good luck!!! Very admirable indeed!

Will you still be able to stop by here now and then without posting weird pictures of the food and more of the cool stuff?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2011, 07:57 »
Good luck to you and keep on your toes.

And do come back from time to time to say hello.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:13 »
Safe trip. Bring back cool stories
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

MacGyver

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2011, 11:50 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

Fantastic.  Send us some pic's if you can find time.  It would be fun to live vicariously through your camera lens (rated G of course).  Enjoy and be safe.  We're happy for you.  Seriously!

Mac

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2011, 02:16 »
Thanks for all the well wishing!   :)

They said we will usually make it in to the district center at least once a month and there will be internet access there...so I will try to give you periodic updates - with pix, if the connection isn't too slow.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 07:47 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2011, 05:51 »
Good luck and safe travels to you sir.  Your spirit and karma-genorsity will be missed here  :P

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:38 »
Okay, I finally got all my ducks in a row financially and am off to Cambodia to teach English for a couple of years!  WOO-HOO!  :)

Enjoy!  I'm sure it will be a (hard, but) fun filled time!  Stay in touch!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2011, 05:00 »
I am near tears... I will miss you friend and envy you as well. I wish you all the best and wait on edge to hear from you every once in awhile and if not I am sure we'll catch up one day... peace to you and yours

Camella

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2011, 03:34 »
Congratulations on retirement.  It sounds like you have quite an adventure ahead of you.   Good luck!
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:18 »

I will probably be in NE Thailand in 2 years, If you are still there we may pop across the border for a visit.....

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:37 »
Peace Corps has three primary goals.   The third one is:

"To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans."

So, here are a few facts about Cambodia...

Background:
Most Cambodians consider themselves to be Khmers, descendants of the Angkor Empire that extended over much of Southeast Asia and reached its zenith between the 10th and 13th centuries. Attacks by the Thai and Cham (from present-day Vietnam) weakened the empire, ushering in a long period of decline. The king placed the country under French protection in 1863 and it became part of French Indochina in 1887. Following Japanese occupation in World War II, Cambodia gained full independence from France in 1953.

In April 1975, after a five-year struggle, Communist Khmer Rouge forces captured Phnom Penh and evacuated all cities and towns. At least 1.5 million Cambodians died from execution, forced hardships, or starvation during the Khmer Rouge regime under POL POT. A December 1978 Vietnamese invasion drove the Khmer Rouge into the countryside, began a 10-year Vietnamese occupation, and touched off almost 13 years of civil war. The 1991 Paris Peace Accords mandated democratic elections and a ceasefire, which was not fully respected by the Khmer Rouge.

UN-sponsored elections in 1993 helped restore some semblance of normalcy under a coalition government. Factional fighting in 1997 ended the first coalition government, but a second round of national elections in 1998 led to the formation of another coalition government and renewed political stability. The remaining elements of the Khmer Rouge surrendered in early 1999. Some of the surviving Khmer Rouge leaders have been tried or are awaiting trial for crimes against humanity by a hybrid UN-Cambodian tribunal supported by international assistance. Elections in July 2003 were relatively peaceful, but it took one year of negotiations between contending political parties before a coalition government was formed. In October 2004, King Norodom SIHANOUK abdicated the throne and his son, Prince Norodom SIHAMONI, was selected to succeed him. Local elections were held in Cambodia in April 2007, with little of the pre-election violence that preceded prior elections. National elections in July 2008 were relatively peaceful.

GDP - per capita (PPP): $2,100 (2010 est.)
country comparison to the world: 189

Life expectancy at birth: total population: 62.67 years
country comparison to the world: 178
male: 60.31 years
female: 65.13 years (2011 est.)

Improved drinking water source available:
urban: 81% of population
rural: 56% of population
total: 61% of population

Ethnic groups:
Khmer 90%, Vietnamese 5%, Chinese 1%, other 4%

Religions:
Buddhist (official) 96.4%, Muslim 2.1%, other 1.3%, unspecified 0.2% (1998 census)

Labor force - by occupation:
agriculture: 57.6%
industry: 15.9%
services: 26.5% (2009 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cb.html

I will probably be in NE Thailand in 2 years, If you are still there we may pop across the border for a visit.....

Mike

Excellent!  Come on over!  :)

...and bring that slacker AtomicPunk with you!  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 08:46 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2011, 01:38 »
...without posting weird pictures of the food...?

I was BS'ing with one of the guys from Laos & mentioned weird food to him.  He said one of the odder he has seen is when they take a large leech that has been attached for some time....tie both ends off...cook over the fire...instant blood sausage... 

I'm hoping he was pulling the new guy's leg.  If not, I'll warn you before I post a picture of it, Drayer!  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:36 »
Sorry I dropped off the radar...all the internet cafe IP's seem to be blocked by Nukeworker.  Now my wife found a modem-stick for her laptop, so maybe we will have access fairly regularly.

Phnom Penh is just another big city now.  I hadn't been here in 14 years and didn't recognize anything until I finally got down by the National Museum...a few blocks down in that area that retain the old flavor, but...

Now we are a couple hours south of the capitol in a small village.  Living with a family, learning Khmai 4 hours a day, and learning how to teach English 4 hours a day.  By the time you take 4 or 5 showers splash-baths (the heat & humidity are killer) and do some laundry (washtub)...there's not much time left in the day.  We have taken a couple of nice bike rides through the rice paddies and played some soccer & volleyball with the local kids, but...

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know we made it in-country and are acclimating.

modified for spelling and to remove location specifics
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011, 11:03 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
CAMBODIA! Peace Corps!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2011, 09:03 »
Well, I debated with myself on the title to this thread before I started it...because the "Retired" was dependant on several factors:

:(

1.  A strong dollar...since we planned on staying expatriated for as long as we could.
2.  A strong stock market...since we based our spending on a 'reasonable' (7%) income from our investments.
3.  Reasonable inflation...3%...
...and so-on...

Anyway, the events of the past few weeks are making our 'retirement' look like a pipe dream, so...the moderators can change the thread title (if they'd like)...

On the bright side, looks like we'll probably be seeing you all at the ol' nuke plants in a couple of years... :)

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2011, 09:53 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2011, 12:31 »
Well the good news for me is that I may see you out at the canyon again someday?  At least someone's getting a good deal out of this!!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2011, 11:01 »
Bring back cool stories

Not sure how 'cool' this will be, but...

Story Time with Poo Graabi  (Khmai for UncaBuffalo  :)  )

Once upon a time, two happy old Barangs joined Peace Corps and moved to Cambodia. 

They lived in a happy little house with their happy BongBro & BongSri...and the happy little ch'gai - woof-woof...and the happy little ch'ma - meow-meow...and several happy little mooen (including one that laid an egg under the woodstove each morning)...and a happy mooen-tome (that liked to spend half it's time strutting & gobbling for the ladies, and the other half strutting & gobbling for it's own reflection in the glass.)

One night, the happy old Barangs were 'eating rice' with BongBro & BongSri.  A VERY large gong-gaip hopped past under table. 

"Ribbit-Ribbit." said the gong-gaip

"Yeek!" said BongSri.

"There's some good eatin' on them there gong-gaips.  GULP!"  said the happy little ch'gai.

The End

This has been Story Time with Poo Graabi.  :)

Please direct all complaints to:  PCT Poo Graabi AKA UncaBuffalo AKA K5 Tall Old Guy, Peace Corps, PO Box 2453, Phnom Penh 3, Cambodia.;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2011, 12:39 »
"Waddayamean I gotta take the MMPI again" moaned Poo Graabi.  ;)

Good story.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

MacGyver

Re: CAMBODIA! Peace Corps!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2011, 02:56 »

Anyway, the events of the past few weeks are making our 'retirement' look like a pipe dream, so...the moderators can change the thread title (if they'd like)...

I am sorry to hear that.

I had to look to find this but I hope it cheers you up ...  ;D

On the bright side, looks like we'll probably be seeing you all at the ol' nuke plants in a couple of years... :)

And, we will be happy to see you until you do retire.   :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2011, 11:01 »

Sorry I dropped off the radar again...experiencing technical difficulties...

Had to kill my avatar to meet Peace Corps guidelines...

And need a blurb that "All opinions expressed here are mine alone, NOT Peace Corps."

I'll try to check in occasionally, but all the Cambodian IPs are blocked, so will have to figure out a private modem to use again...

:)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:26 »
So, riddle me this:  Why would my modem be 'blocked' (by NukeWorker) when attached to my laptop...but work attached to the school desktop...?  Must be something to do with the version of software the school computer has loaded to drive the modem...?

Anywho...jumped through all the hoops for training and am a full-fledged Peace Corps VOLUNTEER now!  (You would need to be a lowly 'trainee' for two months to fully appreciate how good that feels.)

Have my own little village down south...surounded by mountains...near the ocean...about 8 miles of dirt (mud?) road for anyone to get in or out...teaching English, trying to dig wells, trying to build sports facilities at the school...  

Life IS good!

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2011, 06:27 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2011, 09:10 »
Great to hear that truly doing something you enjoy! 
Cheers,
LM

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2011, 03:42 »
So, riddle me this:  Why would my modem be 'blocked' (by NukeWorker) when attached to my laptop...but work attached to the school desktop...?  Must be something to do with the version of software the school computer has loaded to drive the modem...?

Aha! Now we know where those spams come from!!  :P

Be well, and hurry home!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?