Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RETIRED...to Peace Corps! honeypot

Author Topic: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!  (Read 142677 times)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: RETIRED...to Peace Corps!
« Reply #100 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:24 »
forgot about that....

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #101 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:14 »
Got approval for another well-drilling project:  http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1307

:)

Wow...that was slow!  But, we finally got this well completed.  For a complete report (with pictures!) see:  

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1407

...and thanks again for everyone's support on this well...and all past and current projects!  :)

Note:  The "Check Out MY Pipe Wrench" picture is one of my favorites from this whole Peace Corps gig!  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2012, 10:02 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #102 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:33 »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #103 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 »
WOOHOO!  Game on!

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410

Happy New Year, can't wait to see my name on another bathroom wall... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #104 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:04 »
WOOHOO!  Game on!

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410

Hello Unca,
As an individual who just enjoyed a triple-time and a half bathroom break, I would like to encourage those of us who get paid to use a clean bathroom to make a small deposit if they can.
Happy New Year and Stay Safe,
Bigchris

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #105 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:37 »
Happy New Year, can't wait to see my name on another bathroom wall... ;)

Hello Unca,
As an individual who just enjoyed a triple-time and a half bathroom break, I would like to encourage those of us who get paid to use a clean bathroom to make a small deposit if they can.
Happy New Year and Stay Safe,
Bigchris

Thanks, guys!  I got the funds over the weekend and we are on the contractor's schedule for next week.  :)

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #106 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:12 »
Hi Uncaffalo,
The site where we make donations (http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410) only shows $95.00 pledged out of $550.00 needed to build the latrine. How can you get started without having all the money needed?

Keep up the good work,
Bigchris

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #107 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:50 »
Hi Uncaffalo,
The site where we make donations (http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1410) only shows $95.00 pledged out of $550.00 needed to build the latrine. How can you get started without having all the money needed?

Keep up the good work,
Bigchris

The Water Charity/Appropriate Projects people are really great about the funding.  They front the money and send it out soon after they approve a project. 

I still have to re-stock the pool of grant money with the donations.  If extra funds come in, they are earmarked for future projects that I do.  You guys have been great and were ahead on a couple of the previous projects (THANKS!), so Water Charity/Appropriate Projects has fast-tracked approval and funding on my last two projects.  Not having to wait for funding and approval greatly increases the amount of projects we can complete, so I have high hopes for this final 6 months of service.

Thanks again!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:22 »
A Scarcity of Toilets Among Rural Cambodians

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/a-scarcity-of-toilets-among-rural-cambodians-7662/

... is among the 66 percent of the rural population who still openly defecate outdoors, according to a new report released last month by the Rural Development Ministry and Unicef.

The continued lack of access to improved sanitation facilities, defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as facilities that separate human excreta from human contact, is costing the government more than $400 million in health costs annually, the report says.

While the government set a target in 2003 to reach universal access to proper latrines by 2025, only 28 percent of the population currently has access to one, the report states, adding that it is “unlikely” the government will reach its 100 percent target on time.

...the reason so many people in the country still don’t have toilets is because there are still many people living under the poverty line.

Defecating in the open, where bacteria and parasites can contaminate water resources, poses a real public health risk, according to Steven Iddings, an environmental engineer with the WHO in Cambodia.

Every year, about 2,300 children die from diarrheal diseases in Cambodia, according to a 2011 report from PATH International. And “a high proportion of childhood illnesses—especially diarrheal diseases—are linked to quality of water and water-related hygiene,” said Mr. Iddings.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #109 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 »
:)    :)    :)    :)     :)    :)    :)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1451

Thanks!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:22 »
Once more from the top...with feeling;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1456

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #111 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:04 »
 ;D
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Cathy

« Reply #112 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:48 »
Added a few gallons to the pond.

Cathy

« Reply #113 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:39 »
Looks like it still needs a few more gallons of water.
Bruce, you are doing an outstanding job. Not everyone can make such a profound difference in the lives of people that just need a hand up.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #114 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:21 »
Noticed a few days back that we have migrated to the "Holiday Greetings" section, so...

- Happy Meak Bochea Day -

For those of you who might not know (I didn't until yesterday) Meak Bochea is a religious holiday in SE Asia that marks the last sermon Buddha gave.  The high points of the sermon (and observance of the holiday) are:

1.  Avoid Doing Evil.

2.  Do Only Good.

3.  Purify The Mind.

Not sure what number 3 entails, but the first two seem like admirable thoughts...no matter what your religious affiliation (or lack thereof...)

Wow!  That year seems like it flew by...looking at it from this end.  So,

- Happy Meak Bochea Day - ...again!

Cathy

« Reply #115 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:41 »
I just noticed this on the webpage that you access to help with Bruce's project:
Bruce previously completed the Hun Sen Ang Chak High School Latrine Project – Cambodia, the Samarky Primary School Well Project – Cambodia, the Angmotreysatram Primary School Latrine Project - Cambodia, the Ang Chak High School Well Project - Cambodia, and the Prey K'Cheeay Primary and Lower Secondary School Latrine Project - Cambodia. This represents a new record for the number of projects completed in partnership with Water Charity for a serving Peace Corps Volunteer.
Way to go!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #116 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:42 »
I just noticed this on the webpage that you access to help with Bruce's project:
Bruce previously completed the Hun Sen Ang Chak High School Latrine Project – Cambodia, the Samarky Primary School Well Project – Cambodia, the Angmotreysatram Primary School Latrine Project - Cambodia, the Ang Chak High School Well Project - Cambodia, and the Prey K'Cheeay Primary and Lower Secondary School Latrine Project - Cambodia. This represents a new record for the number of projects completed in partnership with Water Charity for a serving Peace Corps Volunteer.
Way to go!!

Yeah, I chuckled when I saw that...I hadn't realized it was a competition!  If they had told me it was a race, I would have tried even harder!  ;)

Thanks to everyone here that has made these projects (and OUR record) possible.  I glanced back through the donation sheets and between 27% and 33% (hard to tell on some where I can't match a donor name to a NW user name...) have come from NukeWorkers.  AND, another 36% have come from former NukeWorkers and/or people in the nuclear industry.  So, thanks to everyone for the help!  Nuclear power was very good to me when I was in it...and continues to be very good to me as I try to pass some on.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:20 »

Let's see how far we can stretch that 'record!'  ;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1482

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #118 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:58 »
 ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #119 on: Mar 07, 2013, 02:34 »
Once more from the top...with feeling;)

http://appropriateprojects.com/node/1483

Thanks again to everyone who helped make that possible!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #120 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:35 »
Most of the time life just seems pretty 'normal' here...folks-is-folks... But, occasionally I get reminded that I'm NOT in Kansas anymore...

One of these moments happened a few weeks ago when a co-teacher was telling me about this wonderful movie he saw...'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.  I agreed with him that it was great.  But, then he re-calibrated me by asking if it was 'real' or not...  
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #121 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:40 »
It's not real?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #122 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:11 »
Most of the time life just seems pretty 'normal' here...folks-is-folks... But, occasionally I get reminded that I'm NOT in Kansas anymore...

One of the teachers at the high school got a job as a translator for a medical NGO.  On his first day, they went for a tour of the various facilities where he will be working.  He was telling me about it when he got home.  He said, "I was embarrassed. We took car and I got up okay. But when we go to hospital, I couldn't get down. They asked why I don't get down and I told them, 'I don't know how to get down from car...I have only ridden in cart before.' "

Reminded me that things are different here...a college-educated professional in his late twenties may not have ridden in a closed vehicle before, so doesn't recognize door handles...

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 08:15 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #123 on: Mar 26, 2013, 11:09 »
One of the teachers at the high school got a job as a translator for a medical NGO.  On his first day, they went for a tour of the various facilities where he will be working.  He was telling me about it when he got home.  He said, "I was embarrassed. We took car and I got up okay. But when we go to hospital, I couldn't get down. They asked why I don't get down and I told them, 'I don't know how to get down from car...I have only ridden in cart before.' "

Reminded me that things are different here...a college-educated professional in his late twenties may not have ridden in a closed vehicle before, so doesn't recognize door handles...

In a discussion about the success of the US in the 20th century I was told that it was in part because we were a country of shade tree mechanics. That statement made much more sense when I traveled out side the country as you are now. I suspect many of us are envious of that naïve and simplistic life style, success as defined by society can also a burden for the individual. I envy you your experiences and applaud your efforts. I some times wonder about attempts to westernize cultures to advance them and think about the snake in Eden bringing the fruit of knowledge. Peace Corp efforts seem to help without altering culture very much, one of our best exports.

Again my envious thanks for a job well done please continue to share your experiences and pictures for us voyeurs  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #124 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:50 »
...please continue to share your experiences and pictures for us voyeurs  ;)

Is the Picture Gallery open for new photos again?  I still get an "Error - You don't have permission to perform this operation." message when I try to upload pictures...
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 09:51 by UncaBuffalo »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?