Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fort Calhoun  

Author Topic: Fort Calhoun  (Read 31629 times)

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
Fort Calhoun
« on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:33 »
Anyone know the status of Fort Calhoun's flooding issues? I know there was a small switchgear fire and they were bracing for flooding last week but never heard any updates, besides some of the crack pot reports floating around about a "level 4" accident, which obviously is bull.

MacGyver

Re: Fort Calhoun
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:58 »
Anyone know the status of Fort Calhoun's flooding issues? I know there was a small switchgear fire and they were bracing for flooding last week but never heard any updates, besides some of the crack pot reports floating around about a "level 4" accident, which obviously is bull.

When I need Ft Calhoun info I go here:  Ft Calhoun (Region IV)

The answer (partial at least) to the question you asked is found here:  Your partial answer is the Plant is still shutdown (i.e. they are still in refueling).  I really can't venture a response about the fire or offer an update.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2011, 09:03 by MacGyver »

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:39 »
late night coast to coast with george noory was talking about this

irishfan

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2011, 09:57 »
They had a quick clip on the NBC Evening News tonight and showed a video of the area.
Wow, that is a lot of water.  I hope the best for everyone there!

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2011, 10:33 »
From the pictures A.P. and Yahoo have on-line (sorry unable to hyperlink them)(any help rennhack?)  it would appear the only access  to the plant would be by bass boat at this point or a brave soul in waders....I would have to imagine those at the plant are busy with sandbags or pumps at this point...

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2011, 11:41 »
     I am an operator here at Port Calhoun  :).  We are experiencing major flooding onsite.  We are shutdown and will stay that way until the water level lowers. Access to the plant is via constructed walkways above the water. Plant is dry due to preps that were made.  Do a search on aqua damns.  Unless the river goes much higher than projected we will be fine.  For those that have been here the parking lots are all underwater.  They built a new one on the top of the hill in the prairie restoration area.
     As for the fire well it happened and they are doing an investigation as to what caused it now.  It was an electrical fire in the switchgear. 
     Hope that clears things up for everyone.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:35 »
     I am an operator here at Port Calhoun  :).  We are experiencing major flooding onsite.  We are shutdown and will stay that way until the water level lowers. Access to the plant is via constructed walkways above the water. Plant is dry due to preps that were made.  Do a search on aqua damns.  Unless the river goes much higher than projected we will be fine.  For those that have been here the parking lots are all underwater.  They built a new one on the top of the hill in the prairie restoration area.
     As for the fire well it happened and they are doing an investigation as to what caused it now.  It was an electrical fire in the switchgear. 
     Hope that clears things up for everyone.

Thank you! That will help combat the tin foil hat wearers believing that video going around saying Calhoun is at Level 4. /rollseyes.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 04:44 by DJ@LosAlamos »
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2011, 03:45 »
I found this one which make more sense then the last one. http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS-US_plants_on_flood_alert-2006114.html
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 04:43 by DJ@LosAlamos »
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:16 »
What about it?

Are you trying to say they did release radiation?

That someone died from rad related illness?

I mean... they are just shutdown... with some water around.... I don't have my PWR license yet, but I can't figure out what would have caused them to damage a core that has shut down from April. Again though, I am just a nub so what do I know?

Your first link appears to be gonzo journalism. The second appears to be more factual.

Either way, I trust the word of an operator on site, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 04:19 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:45 »
I trust you. I just can't believe what they put out in the new releases.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:05 »
I trust you. I just can't believe what they put out in the new releases.

You and me both.

Gonzo journalism..., they will now spin anything with the word "nuclear" in it into fukushima.

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:34 »
LMAO we have not damaged the core.  We have released nothing.  You have to love the news.

flblasted

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2011, 10:51 »
But... but what about the no-fly zone OPPD instituted over Fort Calhoun so that the helicopter pilots wouldn't receive lethal doses from the meltdown that is in progress RIGHT NOW?!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2011, 11:06 »
But... but what about the no-fly zone OPPD instituted over Fort Calhoun so that the helicopter pilots wouldn't receive lethal doses from the meltdown that is in progress RIGHT NOW?!

I am going to assume you are being sarcastic.  8)

flblasted

« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:45 »
Yeah, just a little bit though.   ;D

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:26 »
Thanks elwood, please keep us updated and stay safe.

IPREGEN

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2011, 12:31 »
Time to order a case of ShamWow

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

flblasted

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2011, 07:44 »
Word at our plant was they were piling sand on the back side of the aqua dam with shovels and decided it would be faster with a skid loader.  They cut a 4 ft. section into the aqua dam with that and collapsed it. 

I guess they cut off-site power preemptively when it happened and after they had installed additional barriers restored off-site power. 

I can't believe that they would authorize any work around that thing with a skidloader.

MacGyver

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:15 »
Just updated...

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/flood-berm-collapses-nebraska-nuclear-plant-174718311.html

It’s a little strange that author of that article referred to NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko as “the Jaczko”.

“When the Jaczko saw one of Cooper's two back-up diesel generators, he had to climb over three different sandbag barriers to get there.”

It is reassuring to read this from NRC website, “Fort Calhoun Station remains in the Notification of Unusual Event that was declared on June 6, 2011. The Missouri river level is at an elevation of 1006 feet 4 inches mean sea level (MSL). By design, the plant is protected to a river level elevation of 1014 feet MSL.

The information presented herein has been discussed with the licensee and is current as of 8:00 a.m., June 27, 2011.” http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1117/ML111780547.pdf

Eight feet is a long ways to go, isn’t it?

Bigchris

drayer54

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2011, 08:53 »
Eight feet is a long ways to go, isn’t it?

Not in the age of the shock and awe fear driven media.

This guy is going on every network and channel that will accept him as an expert and warning of the next fukushima, as everything appears to be the next imminent major disaster!

The agency that this clown is in charge of has an anti-nuclear agenda anyways.

Got to love our media and the fine job of reporting factual stories.

flblasted

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2011, 09:04 »
Not in the age of the shock and awe fear driven media.

The agency that this clown is in charge of has an anti-nuclear agenda anyways.

Got to love our media and the fine job of reporting factual stories.

People are afraid of what they don't understand and the media and the American public isn't equipped to understand the nuclear power industry.  I almost laughed out loud when she tried to compare a nuclear power plant to a car.  If I had the same standards with my car that a nuclear power plant does then that damned car would run for the rest of my life.  
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2011, 09:05 by flblasted »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:13 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #25 on: Jun 29, 2011, 08:32 »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

reactorpro

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2011, 04:53 »
If nuke power were EZ..then the media would work in this field.

LaFeet

« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2011, 07:44 »
Give me some waders and I'd gladly swab some lower level rooms when the water receeds... I love Ft Calhoun 8)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: Jul 24, 2011, 12:28 »
some newer news aerial footage from the media, without tinfoil...

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:25 »
Anybody heard anything about the NRC shutting down Fort Calhoun??? I heard they went the route of Davis Besse....

tagline

« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:35 »
Which way? Hole in reactor head? SCWE? Bad management? Been given an INPO 1 and not deserving?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:42 »
Nothing at all about it recently on the NRC website, that I can find. Still seaching. Last thing I found was their event declaration for the flood.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:48 »
NRC delays restart of Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station

By ALGIS J. LAUKAITIS / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Plans to restart the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station in January have been pushed back indefinitely by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The NRC moved Fort Calhoun into a special inspection category Tuesday and notified plant owner Omaha Public Power District by letter that it was delaying the restart of the plant because of significant performance and/or operational concerns that will require additional oversight.

"It's a very high level of oversight," said Victor Dricks, spokesman for NRC Region IV, based in Arlington, Texas.

OPPD spokesman Mike Jones said the inspection category is for nuclear power plants that have been shut down for a long time.

Fort Calhoun, 20 miles north of Omaha along the Missouri River, was shut down for a routine refueling outage in April and kept offline during Missouri River flooding as a safety precaution. Floodwaters subsided in September.

"OPPD has and will continue to aggressively and thoroughly address these issues until they are resolved," OPPD President and CEO W. Gary Gates said in a news release. "We are committed to returning Fort Calhoun Station to its normal high-performing plant status as soon as possible."

Jones said OPPD is working with the NRC to restart the plant sometime in the second quarter of 2012. Getting the plant ready will take time, he said, and some inspections that were scheduled earlier were delayed by the flood.

The NRC letter cited the following reasons for placing Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station in the special inspection category.

* Inadequate strategies to protect the plant from flooding; NRC finding issued Oct. 6, 2010.

* Failure of electrical components used to automatically shut down the reactor; NRC finding issued July 18.

* Fort Calhoun Station's placement in Column IV because plant performance has been degraded for more than four consecutive quarters. Column V is the worst.

* A significant operational event on June 7 that involved a fire in a switch gear. NRC attributed the fire to inadequate design or improper installation of electrical components.

In its letter, the NRC said it made the decision to delay the restart of the plant because of performance concerns involving the fire and recovery actions associated with the flood.

"This decision, in part, was made due to the lack of a definitive plant start-up date, the need to perform additional extent of cause and extent of condition reviews to fully understand the breadth of performance issues, and the need to develop and implement corrective actions ...," the NRC wrote.

Dricks said the NRC also has concerns about the plant's emergency response program, saying OPPD failed to notify state and local officials within 15 minutes of declaring an emergency. Jones said the utility did so in 16 minutes.

In a separate non-emergency exercise, OPPD withdrew a "protective action recommendation" the utility had communicated to emergency responders, the NRC said.

So far, OPPD has spent $32 million to replace the electricity that would have been generated by Fort Calhoun, Jones said.

Most of that amount was spent over the summer when demand for power was high, he said.

Overall, the Missouri River flood has cost OPPD $75.9 million, he said.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/nrc-delays-restart-of-fort-calhoun-nuclear-station/article_9109a3b5-6274-5c27-8ba1-8d3a45c9ecf0.html

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:53 »
Ah, here we go.

http://public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov/2011/12/13/fort-calhoun-nuclear-plant-gets-more-nrc-oversight/

And the actual letter to from the NRC can be found by searching for ML113470721 in the ADAMS system.

Column IV huh? That ain't good.

Have fun boys!
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2011, 09:01 by Higgs »

tagline

« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:54 »
Thanks for the info. This is minor compared to Davis-Messe.

LaFeet

« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:09 »
Yeah   just a little bit.   The main focus seems to be electrical and flood issues.

Their performance rating dropped mainly due to being shutdown for so long

Ft C should be up and running by June

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:42 »

Of which year ??

This is sounding more and more like Rancho Breako, just with better steak and pheasant close by...

Offline wingnut

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:06 »
Hope they don't end up like Cook that struggled from 1997 to 2000 to get up and running.

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2011, 03:18 »
Yeah   just a little bit.   The main focus seems to be electrical and flood issues.

Their performance rating dropped mainly due to being shutdown for so long

Crazy thing is the fire was caused by the cradle used to retrofill a new breaker in old switcgear that had perfectly good breakers that have proven to be reliable in many plants for many years, yet they contunue to add more of these retrofills.

Fermi2

« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:38 »
I heard they might never start up....

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:46 »
Crazy thing is the fire was caused by the cradle used to retrofill a new breaker in old switcgear that had perfectly good breakers that have proven to be reliable in many plants for many years, yet they contunue to add more of these retrofills.

If it's like our plant it's due to lack of manufacturer for the old switchgear.  The switchgear is not subpar but parts are drying up and rebuilds going to be coming up in a few years.  Someone could make a good living making and qualifying quality replacements I believe.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:40 »
If it's like our plant it's due to lack of manufacturer for the old switchgear.  The switchgear is not subpar but parts are drying up and rebuilds going to be coming up in a few years.  Someone could make a good living making and qualifying quality replacements I believe.

Politics make that harder than it should be, long story.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?