Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu US nuke regulators weaken safety rules for aging plants

Author Topic: US nuke regulators weaken safety rules for aging plants  (Read 3073 times)

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

flblasted

Re: US nuke regulators weaken safety rules for aging plants
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2011, 04:10 »
This article and the comments that accompany it are a great example of what happens when the media and general public try to analyze in a short time what people in the industry spend years and decades learning and improving.  They don't understand the engineering process, they don't understand the risk analysis, and they don't understand the tremendous amount of scrutiny that this industry is under imposed by the NRC and imposed by itself. 

I'm all for freedom of information and transparency but this is just the media trying to portray nuclear power in a light that it doesn't belong in and the public is in no position to know better about it. 

I'm not saying we're perfect, far from it, but this article is just junk reporting.

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:23 »
I agree with you. That's why I post this crap. We need to help are Newspapers out. With a little truth now and again.
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:18 »
Years ago (25? Yikes!) I was on the Board of Directors of the Michigan Chapter of the American Nuclear Society and we were trying to address exactly this issue... trying to get the press better informed about Nuclear Power so they would stop printing things that were just plain false. I was amazed at the lack of knowledge and lack of effort by the press to get informed. We invited reporters to our meetings to learn... they rarely came and would not believe us when we gave them the facts. It was easier to just get information from the source at hand (usually anti-nuke) than to check facts if they even cared to find out we existed. They didn't even know that they didn't know.

Besides, they are in the business of making money for the newspapers and sensation sells the news. The facts about Nuclear Power are boring. The lies are not.

(On an ironic note, the spell checker tried to turn 'anti-nuke' into 'antique.' How appropriate is that?)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?