Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Starting SRO program for GI bill OJT benefits
honeypot

Author Topic: Starting SRO program for GI bill OJT benefits  (Read 11142 times)

Offline Gamma Glue

• Light User
  • If you're not first, you're last!
Starting SRO program for GI bill OJT benefits
« on: Jun 21, 2011, 10:38 »
I am trying to start an OJT program using the MGIB for the SROs here and haven't had much luck. I'd like to see what other places have used so I can base ours off of it. I am starting from scratch so the more info, the better.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
Re: Starting SRO program for GI bill OJT benefits
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:26 »
Our training department has a liason that handles all the VA/MGIB concerns.  I'd be shocked to hear any site nowadays not having a single person and/or system in place to get these benefits.  Navy nukes are everywhere...

You should start the same program for the EO/NLO group while you're at it.  While I could give you our contact, I think the most logical step is to contact the VA directly.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 »
Yeah the way you do it is the same for everyone. There is a bunch of paperwork that will need to be filled out then you sit around waiting for months on end for the VA to act on it. Contact the VA, they are the only ones that can really help you.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Gamma Glue

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2011, 02:16 »
There is no one at the site that handles this directly, since it is a new site (AP1000). The Cold license is also different then Hot so I wanted to see a Hot license and so forth to modify for us. I have talked to the VA (very unhelpful individual) and tried to get the program approved, however, "Job training must lead to an entry-level position. (Management training programs do not qualify.)" Since SRO is considered to be a management position and not entry-level. I was curious how other sites got there SRO program approved. Our Training instructors and ROs are enrolled in the program, but all SROs aren't, (even though our training is almost identical). Apparently in 2004 they passed a new rule stating that any supervisor or manager cannot enroll in the OJT program. My only guess is that any SRO program out there was started prior to that new rule.

mwdavis

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:53 »
Our site liaison just came in and handed out paperwork to RO and SRO candidates alike.

Offline Gamma Glue

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:28 »
Can you refer my questions to the person who issued you those papers?
(*edited for spelling and structure)
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 10:25 by Gamma Glue »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:31 »
Can I you refer my questions to the perosn who issued you those papers?

I will see if I can find out who does it at my site, but if I remember correctly, they were able to call it entry level because, in fact, you do not start at the top rate for SRO pay. They have to show a pay progression which there is.

I am fairly new at this plant so I don't know exactly who it is, but I will find out and see if I can get your answers.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2011, 09:11 »
I know people use MGIB for this all the time but please think about it first. You’re going to trade a valuable education benefit for some extra cash to pad your income while in a training program that pays well to begin with.

I’m about to finish my second Bachelors degree and hope to start on a MS Software Engineering next spring. With the background and potential credit head start that all nukes get I think its foolish not to pursue a graduate program, of some sort and inexcusable not to finish an undergraduate degree.

Offline Gamma Glue

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2011, 10:31 »
I know people use MGIB for this all the time but please think about it first. You’re going to trade a valuable education benefit for some extra cash to pad your income while in a training program that pays well to begin with.

I’m about to finish my second Bachelors degree and hope to start on a MS Software Engineering next spring. With the background and potential credit head start that all nukes get I think its foolish not to pursue a graduate program, of some sort and inexcusable not to finish an undergraduate degree.

This would use less then half of my MGIB funds. I also have an AA and BS degree, and my company will pay up to for me to further my education. Plus I won't get a license until 2014 or 2015 since everything we do here is new, and with all the start up and construction things I help with, as well as being a body pool for other units that need help, I won't have much time until we go commercial to persue my higher education. Thanks for your concern.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2011, 11:51 »
I'm afraid my guy probably wasn't very helpful. Here is what he said in reply to my email;

"Yeah but it will take a while.  We contacted the VA and met with the regional rep, we explained our process and since many SROs are directs from the military or have spent a few years in ENGR it met the intent of entry level.
The best explanation I got was that the VA program was to compensate people for life experience as they served in the military.  Tey lost wages during that time period and the VA program was to help recover some of that since these folks are usually the better performers in a training program as compared to a high school or college grad."

I hope it helps a bit, but basically, you just need to meet with them and explain the process, and show a pay progression.

Justin

Offline Gamma Glue

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:13 »
It does help some, the problem is the guy I'm talking to, our regional rep, is dumb, really dumb. I tried explaining things to him and he didn't get any of it. Thats why I wanted to see what other programs across the industry look like, to see how I can better present the topic.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:17 »
It does help some, the problem is the guy I'm talking to, our regional rep, is dumb, really dumb. I tried explaining things to him and he didn't get any of it. Thats why I wanted to see what other programs across the industry look like, to see how I can better present the topic.

Well I tried getting more out of our guy and honestly, he is kinda clueless too since apparently our program has been in place for a very long time..., and the person that originally did the leg work to get it going is no longer here. Now, he just handles the monthly forms and what not.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

Offline bigdawgfan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:31 »
You could go to Tony and ask him to demote you to NPO so you can get your GI bill benefits

mwdavis

« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:28 »
Can you refer my questions to the person who issued you those papers?
(*edited for spelling and structure)
The guy at my plant said the same thing about SRO still being entry level because you aren't at full pay. He didn't know anything about a difference for a cold license -vs- a normal ILT program.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2011, 06:04 »
Several of guys in my class have been getting post-9/11 GI bill benefits during our SRO class.  I was not eligible because I was enrolled in VEAP and didn't convert it the MGIB when that option was available (big $ mistake on my part).
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?