Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Probation and UA/UAA honeypot

Author Topic: Probation and UA/UAA  (Read 12574 times)

Offline ballistic711

• Very Lite User
Probation and UA/UAA
« on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:23 »
I was told that if someone is on probation that no NPP would give UA/UAA. Is that true? And if it is where is that written? I was arrested last Aug for a DUI, Last Tuesday it was dropped to reckless driving and probation. I have had treatment and want to further my career in nuclear power. I have been held accountable for my stupid decision and cannot and will not let this be what defines myself. Looking for answers!!!! :D

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Probation and UA/UAA
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2011, 12:57 »
PM the user called Graphic for a faster response. He stops by occassionally, but a PM should shoot him an email and he will respond quicker.

Good luck.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline ballistic711

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:18 »
Sorry guys. A little bit more info on my end would help. This would be for an initial request. I'm still in the Navy. 9 days left. The thing I don't get is if that were the case and I have told the companies the situation I am in then why still fly me out, wasting time and money, to interview if there is no way I would get access????? ???

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2011, 05:40 »
I was told that if someone is on probation that no NPP would give UA/UAA. Is that true? And if it is where is that written? I was arrested last Aug for a DUI, Last Tuesday it was dropped to reckless driving and probation. I have had treatment and want to further my career in nuclear power. I have been held accountable for my stupid decision and cannot and will not let this be what defines myself. Looking for answers!!!! :D

Categorically untrue.  You can get access.  

Also, you don't have to mention it until in-processing for that cherished UA badge.  Check your PMs.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2011, 05:54 by a|F »

Graphic

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2011, 10:11 »

Each utility handles it their own way. The utilities I have worked for typically will not allow someone on probation in. Of course there are always the exceptions that happen.  Sometimes it comes down to who is over access for the utility you are trying to gain access or their own internal policies. There is no NRC regulation that says if someone is on probation they aren't allowed in. I will say though that usually exceptions to someone being on probation are things that aren't drug/alcohol related, such as domestic violence. (Then again we all know a lot of DV cases are influenced by alcohol so that may not be the best example but I think you get my gist)

You have a few options really..

First option is to try to gain access. If you do try to gain access and get denied you will typically be denied for a year, according to how they classify your reason for denial, and up to 3 years. In some cases you can be kind of in a pending status until more information is provided to complete the process... in other words when the probation is complete you can give them your paperwork and they will complete the background process. However, the job may be over at that point but it does help as far as trying to gain access again or at another plant.

Forewarned you will have to go back to your 18th birthday as far as criminal history is concerned. You will also be required to give a 5 year work history. Initial access typically only requires a 3 year background. If there are any drug/alcohol related charges in the past 5 years then you have to go back the extended 2 years in the work history. You will also have to provide 3-4 references in most cases. Those references are ONLY used as a resource to develop 2 more references that you did not list.

Second option is basically what I wrote up above about waiting until your probation is complete. I'm not sure how long you are on probation for but you would have to see a psychologist regarding the drug/alcohol related charge (even though it was dropped to reckless driving). The psychs I work with typically are skeptical of recommending access to anyone who has had a drug/alcohol related charge unless it was completely dropped. They are well aware of the judicial process and that a lot of times people can get charges reduced even though they know they were guilty. (Not saying that is the case) But point is these psychs don't have the "FINAL" say... but their recommendation is taken.

The MAIN reason people on probation aren't very favorable is because the requirements of probation are tough for a lot of people. It is very easy for people to get their probation revoked. A lot of times if your probation is revoked the original charge can come back on you. So instead of reckless driving you'd be back with a DUI...gotta remember lots of people need jobs.. and with the way the nuke industry is under the scope for safety why would the utility REALLY want to risk that? Also, being denied in the system is never good to have in PADS cause it will follow you forever..but also because it costs companies a lot of money to bring people in as an Initial. When you get done with training, drug screening, background you are talking up to 1,000 bucks per applicant that is being spent.

My honest opinion is that you wait until your probation is finished. If you are really struggling for work and this is all you got then you can gamble but I don't like your chances too much simply because it was so recent and the fact you are still on probation.

Either way goodluck and let me know if you have anymore questions.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 by Graphic »

Offline ballistic711

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2011, 12:32 »
So lets say the probation is the mail in type and doesn't ever have to go to the state of Florida!!Does that help? I still don't understand why the companies would have me interview knowing the situation?

Graphic

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:33 »
Eh it might help you a little but not really much I wouldn't think. It's still probation simply because if you get in trouble between now and then probation can be revoked. They would have you interview simply because that's the NRC procedure. ANY kind of drug/alcohol related incident within the past 5 years you have to have an interview with the psych and in some cases even go through an SAE (Substance Abuse Evaluation). I don't think they would make you have the SAE, as long as you didn't have any other drug/alcohol related offenses. They DEFINITELY would have you interview with a psych. Once you take the 570+ questions MMPI personality test then the psych will take that along with his face to face interview and evaluate. Along with the 5 year background, references I mentioned before. It's just how it goes in the Nuke field.

It's all about the risk factor in utilities eyes due to the fact one little event can cause major damage/money.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2011, 07:16 »
Lots of great info from Graphic, however, a lot of that sounds like feelings over facts. 

Your legal history won't come up until you're already at in-processing.

An interview with the psych is required for ops and all other critical group positions (not sure how that's defined though). 

If the site/company MRO is worth anything, they will make you produce an SAE and all treatment history.  They may require more treatment than you've already done.

Probation location doesn't matter unless you have to miss work for it. 

Lastly, read between the lines Mr. Ballistic:  why would they interview you after knowing all that?  You've known the answer all along...

Graphic

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:23 »
Well a lot of it is feeling over fact simply because I don't feel comfortable telling people on here things that I can't say for certain will happen. It's too tough because so many utilities handle it differently. Again there is no procedure that says you can't hire someone with probation but I'm just going by experience.

Obviously, they don't run a background check until you start in-processing unless you send your PHQ in ahead of time. People have the misconception that in-processing means you have the job but I think anyone in the Nuke field knows that is only the tip of the iceberg if you are applying for initial access. There are some critical positions that have required interviews simply because they are critical positions.. (just like some jobs require physicals etc) not all of them do.

He didn't mention what kind of rehab he had so it's just according to if it suffices to what nukes require.

The psych is the one who recommends the SAE most of the time. Whatever the SAE's recommendation is, is what happens. In some cases they require the individual to go to actual rehab classes and in some cases they will give them clearance if they don't have a Substance Abuse issue in their mind. It has to be a CERTIFIED SAE counselor not just anyone either. (Lets not forget most of these SAE Counselors are partners or connected to these rehab facilities somehow as well, they don't get money unless they send people to rehab) So it does happen quite a bit.

Anyways, take it for what it is worth but I guarantee there will be an interview no matter what. Considering you got the charged reduced that helps the situation. However, the probation is the KEY to this whole situation. Any plant I have ever worked in access with has pretty much gone to denying anyone who is currently on probation for a drug or alcohol related issue, no matter if it was reduced to a lesser crime or not. I have seen people on probation gain access but it is very very rare. Just too much risk for the utilities.

All I can tell you is what I've had experience with. I do know that where I work you wouldn't be hired until the probation was completed. I can also tell you that the utilities have a lot of people working in access that tend to handle things different than the person next to them. It's all about who is doing your background, the psychologist you interview with if you get that far.

For what it is worth my fleet access supervisor will not allow anyone on probation for those situations. He has advised us to tell applicants to wait until the probation is completed. We don't LIKE to deny people. The problem is that a lot of utilities and contractors utilize their in-processing crews differently. For instance, at Farley the people that in-process you and go over the paperwork before you turn it in are also the background screeners. So they can look through your criminal history BEFORE the process has started on your background. This helps people out because they can say hey listen you will get denied if you try to gain access at this time. Whereas some plants I've worked only have the office manager or someone who knows NOTHING at all about backgrounds send the paperwork in.

ONCE THE PROCESS HAS STARTED UTILITIES HAVE TO COMPLETE IT.

So if the background process is started on you they HAVE to complete it (certain key elements) so you can't change your mind halfway through. They can't just put you in PADS and then take you back out a week later. You will either be listed in there with additional information or at worst be denied.

I just don't see you being on probation for that long of a time for the charge that was reduced. It is still my opinion that you wait until the probation is complete so you will not have any worries.

I do think you have a slight chance of getting in but if I were you I would wait. I'm only here to help how I can. I've only been in access going on 3 years so I can only help so much but the procedures didn't change and get more tough for no reason.

If you tell me which utility/plant you are trying to work for I can give access a call there and talk with them and see how they handle these situations there and give you a little insight as to if you have a chance in their mind.

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 01:28 by Graphic »

Offline ballistic711

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2011, 08:51 »
Thanks to all!!! I didn't get the job I wanted but at least I got my foot in the door! I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for this site. Helped tremendously! alF Thanks for calming my nerves. Graphic thanks for the great wealth of knowledge in the access area! Glad there are resident experts!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?