Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Passed POSS/MASS test but did not qualify on PAT honeypot

Author Topic: Passed POSS/MASS test but did not qualify on PAT  (Read 24952 times)

Darren

Passed POSS/MASS test but did not qualify on PAT
« on: Jun 22, 2011, 11:52 »
Well I applied for an AEO position with GA Power( plant Yates) recently and passed the poss/mass test but didn't do well on the Physical Abilities Test.  Soon after I received the dreaded rejection email that I was " no longer on consideration for the position" email.  I still have an application pending review at another plant(pending since late May) and wanted to know what my chances are retaking the PAT.  Any advice on how to successfully get through PAT would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

flblasted

Re: Passed POSS/MASS test but did not qualify on PAT
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2011, 01:26 »
Physical Abilities Test?  I didn't take one of those for my employment.  I passed a physical which included a treadmill test but that's it. 

I don't think every utility is going to require you take this test and I really doubt that it's anything that your interviewing plant is going to find out about.   But if you are interviewing for AEO/NLO positions that also require you to be part of the site fire brigade you need to realize that you need to have a certain amount of physical ability to be able to fulfill the requirements of your job. 

Darren

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2011, 05:30 »
Yes it was the physical abilities test and it was one of the hurdles I needed to get over to even be considered for an interview.  1st poss/mass- 2nd PAT- 3rd interview- And finally a drug screen.  This is what GA Power requires of Aux Equip Op.  I'm in fairly good shape but what I screwed up on was one of the PAT's modules...I should've kept the directions instead of giving it back to the test admin.

flblasted

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2011, 11:10 »
Interesting, I'm not familiar with this PAT, what does it involve?

Darren

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2011, 01:01 »
copy and paste from actual invitation...
□   shoveling sand in a wheelbarrow
□   pushing wheelbarrows up and down an apparatus
□   climbing and descending stairs and ladders
□   working at heights up to approximately 20 feet
□   lifting and pushing filled 55 gallon drums using a barrel hand truck
□   crawling into a pipe that is approximately 36 inches wide and 20 feet long and performing work at other end of pipe
□   tightening and removing hardware using hand tools and pushing and pulling motions
□   pumping and pouring water out of a 55 gallon drum
□   carrying and raising an extension ladder
□   rotating large valves controlled under pressure that are approximately six feet high
□   Hoisting and lifting 25 pounds with rope for approximately 20 feet
I was fortunate enough to be invited to retake this PAT at a different plant I applied for here in Georgia.  Hope not to screw up this opportunity.  And sorry for the delay guy.

Offline humphery

• Very Lite User
any one
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2011, 05:30 »
Can any one tell me were i can take the MASS test in Massachusetts whit out taking it a power plant,,,

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: any one
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2011, 06:00 »
Can any one tell me were i can take the MASS test in Massachusetts whit out taking it a power plant,,,

You would do well to search the "testing" portion of this site. Im. Under the impression you don't get to "choose" to take eei tests, you get chosen to.

Offline humphery

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2011, 07:37 »
Thanks for the info, but what your saying is i cant go to some school and just take it?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2011, 08:14 »
copy and paste from actual invitation...
□   shoveling sand in a wheelbarrow  Really? that's even worse than janitor
□   pushing wheelbarrows up and down an apparatus
□   climbing and descending stairs and ladders
□   working at heights up to approximately 20 feet be careful - 20 foot fall can easily kill / disable - 3 point contact, center your weight, needs railings, etc
□   lifting and pushing filled 55 gallon drums using a barrel hand truck
□   crawling into a pipe that is approximately 36 inches wide and 20 feet long and performing work at other end of pipe I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a confined space - there are OSHA requirements for training, hazard evaluation, etc. Even if its outdoors, it still requires training.. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/confinedspaces/index.html. Note Appendix C
□   tightening and removing hardware using hand tools and pushing and pulling motions
□   pumping and pouring water out of a 55 gallon drum
□   carrying and raising an extension ladder
□   rotating large valves controlled under pressure that are approximately six feet high
□   Hoisting and lifting 25 pounds with rope for approximately 20 feet
I was fortunate enough to be invited to retake this PAT at a different plant I applied for here in Georgia.  Hope not to screw up this opportunity.  And sorry for the delay guy.

Sounds like Jawjah hasn't changed much since I was there last (25yrs...)

:o
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:12 »
@ Humphery,  check with th local community / technical college's.  Most offer the EEI tests for a fee (most also offer a prep-class).  You would then select the locations that you would like it (i.e. the tests results) sent too.  Don't listen to tuna.  Just because he responds to every thread doesn't mean he actually knows anything about the subject.  Just sayin' free advice is worth what you pay for it ... Nothing (sometimes anyway) ... ;@)

Darren

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:30 »
Ladies and gents I have some bad news!  I did not "pass" the PAT(physical abilities test) again(2nd time).  I knew I screwed up for the AEO position at Plant Yates the first time and I was confident I did all the exercises correctly and safely the 2nd time for Plant Wansley but obviously I'm screwing up on something.  I don't know what and I cant get any kind of feedback on what I did wrong.  I don't know what to do!  Those local AEO position at Southern Company don't pop up that often.

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2011, 07:36 »

You would do well to search the "testing" portion of this site. Im. Under the impression you don't get to "choose" to take eei tests, you get chosen to.

Thanks for the info, but what your saying is i cant go to some school and just take it?

@ Humphery,  check with th local community / technical college's.  Most offer the EEI tests for a fee (most also offer a prep-class).  You would then select the locations that you would like it (i.e. the tests results) sent too.  Don't listen to tuna.  Just because he responds to every thread doesn't mean he actually knows anything about the subject.  Just sayin' free advice is worth what you pay for it ... Nothing (sometimes anyway) ... ;@)

Tuna just a little SEARCH of your own would have given you the correct answer.  Hmmmmmm?

You say this
So what exactly do you mean, how long will I be waiting... 90 days so I could take it again that is if there is a position open for me to take the test.

I should have mentioned this earlier but I did not take the MASS/POSS combo at a facility I took it at my college through EEI. I had to pay $30 to take it.

This thread isn't even that old (re: MASS/POSS combo test.).  Stop answering questions if you are not Absolutely SURE of the answer.  If you are not absolutely sure then you are not sure.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2011, 07:37 by MacGyver »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2011, 04:07 »
Tuna just a little SEARCH of your own would have given you the correct answer.  Hmmmmmm?

This thread isn't even that old (re: MASS/POSS combo test.).  Stop answering questions if you are not Absolutely SURE of the answer.  If you are not absolutely sure then you are not sure.

Mac, I've spent about 30 minutes on google with no results. Which colleges, exactly, offer EEI testing? Im only seeing vendors offering it.

MacGyver

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2011, 07:52 »
Mac, I've spent about 30 minutes on google with no results. Which colleges, exactly, offer EEI testing? Im only seeing vendors offering it.

Exhibit one
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006051613125

Exhibit two
http://www.tva.gov/employment/ops_maint/testing.htm

Exhibit three
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7188.msg44609.html#msg44609

Exhibit four
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,32979.msg149141.html#msg149141

Give'em a call.  They offer a prep course and a paid session when they test for TVA.  The fourth exhibit mentions he spent $30 to take the test.  He also mentions (earlier in the thread) that he had his results sent to number of utilities.

Oh yeah, just a point of reference, I didn't use google.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2011, 07:50 »
Exhibit one
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006051613125

Exhibit two
http://www.tva.gov/employment/ops_maint/testing.htm

Exhibit three
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7188.msg44609.html#msg44609

Exhibit four
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,32979.msg149141.html#msg149141

Give'em a call.  They offer a prep course and a paid session when they test for TVA.  The fourth exhibit mentions he spent $30 to take the test.  He also mentions (earlier in the thread) that he had his results sent to number of utilities.

Oh yeah, just a point of reference, I didn't use google.

Your sources are TVA (not a college), Yahoo answers(none of those colleges mentioned have any academic programs for EEI testing listed on their websites, nor have any others I've looked at, and a prep class doesnt mean they actually give the test. SAT prep courses dont actually give you the SAT either), and what "someone said" (he even said it was through EEI, so meh). Cheers.

Not saying you are wrong. There's a common misconception about it, and the only thing saying other wise is "what someone said" here one time. I couldnt care less what your "references" are. Find a college that displays an academic program that offers the EEI test before you go and smite me for repeating what numerous others here have stated as well.

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2011, 09:37 »
Tuna, I spent 10 seconds looking for this info.  I don't need to validate my actions too you & nor will I.  I know 3 utlities that personally use community colleges to promote a future nuclear workforce.  I don't owe you anymore info than that.  Maybe if you had some time in the industry you might actually know something instead of acting like you do on every topic.  Ability & NO Character = Failure (aka Tuna).

MacGyver

« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2011, 11:05 »
Quote from: Starkist link=topic=27864.msg151360#msg151360 date=131621704 2
Your sources are TVA (not a college), Yahoo answers(none of those colleges mentioned have any academic programs for EEI testing listed on their websites, nor have any others I've looked at, and a prep class doesnt mean they actually give the test. SAT prep courses dont actually give you the SAT either), and what "someone said" (he even said it was through EEI, so meh). Cheers.

Not saying you are wrong. There's a common misconception about it, and the only thing saying other wise is "what someone said" here one time. I couldnt care less what your "references" are. Find a college that displays an academic program that offers the EEI test before you go and smite me for repeating what numerous others here have stated as well.

Don't mind me ... just collecting snap shots.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2011, 01:21 »
Chattanooga State offers a Semester long course in EEI Testing.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2011, 06:45 »
Tuna, I spent 10 seconds looking for this info.  I don't need to validate my actions too you & nor will I.  I know 3 utlities that personally use community colleges to promote a future nuclear workforce.  I don't owe you anymore info than that.  Maybe if you had some time in the industry you might actually know something instead of acting like you do on every topic.  Ability & NO Character = Failure (aka Tuna).

*yawn*

6. A questioning attitude is cultivated.
Individuals demonstrate a questioning attitude by challenging
assumptions

Group-think is avoided through diversity of thought and
intellectual curiosity. Opposing views are encouraged and
considered.

You clearly didnt understand the context of my posts, so let me break it down for you, ok?

Exhibit "A"

I have seen numerous people HERE and elsewhere under the assumption that you can only be given the test from a vendor of EEI if you are offered it. Seeing as how you contradicted it, I looked online for this. I found nothing other then some short prep classes, none of which mentioned anything about actually giving the test. Which is why I asked. Since you clearly "Know".  You smited me for this for god know's why... active participation in the forum??? Hmm. Ok.

Exhibit "B":

This is me asking for specifics, since none of your "sources" mention ANYTHING about actually giving the test.  You then smite me again for "Questioning you". Do you treat other people like that?

You then question my integrity and character??? Because I questioned you?  IF ANYTHING I have clearly proven my merit over and over. A couple of you old cronies here dont like me because Im too active. Too bad.

Chattanooga State offers a Semester long course in EEI Testing.

Thanks Mikey. Do you happen to know if they give the test at the end of it, or is it just a prep course? I know some CC's offer "Asvab prep courses" as well, but the asvab is still given by MEPS. Michigan State has a intern program with palisades, do they do stuff like that too?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2011, 06:49 »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:02 »

Its gonna go to dave and mac smiting me some more because I dont blindly agree with what they say and I have the NERVE to question a common misconception. God forbid...

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:05 »
Integrity...like not mentioning that to BUMED or hiring employers?

Integrity? Like calling my op's manager and telling him I had drugs in my system, even though I know that if I did it would get me fired? Integrity? Like telling meps that I had a siezure that lead to me not being able to get a TLD for several months and me going through absolute hell for the first year on my carrier because they never got my waiver processed properly? Integrity? Like telling access authorization how and why i got discharged early from the navy? (me and you had a nice pm session about that as well).

Or Integrity? Like pulling up old posts and twisting them to your agenda and making bold accusations that arent even remotely accurate on a public forum? If THATS integrity, then Im all screwed up.

Thanks for playing.

EDIT: Holy crap dave. The very quote you used proves that I was, in fact, honest and had integrity. Are you TRYING to be asinine?

"This is what caused my delay on DEP, and why I was denied service."
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2011, 08:09 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:19 »
More rebuttal for Dave
Just wanted some info here.

Upon reporting to the ship, I had some medical issues that had to be ironed out, and it turns out they are a bigger deal then I expected. Before I joined the Navy I actually was declined for service initially until I had a bunch of tests for medical stuff that happened when I was younger. Apparently the medical officer at the MEPS approved me after I was defered to her, yet she did not send my information to BUPERS. Since my waivers were never actually approved, I am de nuked for now. This was told to me by the senior medical officer on my ship, and he said it could take 3-4 months for them to get back to me with a waiver. that said, If i dont get my waivers passed, I will be de-"navied" :(.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13864.0.html

Looks to me like I was pretty honest.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2011, 09:45 »
Back on topic all ya'll!  Thanks in advance for acting like adults from here on out & for accepting my gentle coaching.   ;)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:46 »
Try again.  Here's what I hope all will remember:

Forum Rule #4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

Like most streets, this one is also 2-way though some must first show the way through example. 

Peace ya'll!

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?