Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Academic Waiver?  

Author Topic: Academic Waiver?  (Read 19001 times)

neuromancer

Academic Waiver?
« on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:33 »
Hi,
     I took the asvab this week at meps and scored a 97 and passed the health exam (eligible to enlist)  The navy recruiter (I went to MEPS with the Army before I saw my AFQT score) I talked to on Thursday is a former nuke MM and is pushing me to go for nuke.  He said I will not need to take the nuke qualifying test because my line scores are high enough to qualify with the ASVAB alone.  However, I recieved an "F" my senior year of high school in math analysis (precal) and a "D" when I was 16 in geometry/trig.  I retook the geometry/trig class in the 2nd semister of my junior year after being sent to military school and recieve an "A" (100% avg) and was a tutor for a couple other students at my teacher's request.  The F was my senior year at public school.  I am 23 now so the two horrible grades were 5 and 7 years ago respectively.  My recruiter told me I would need an academic waiver.  He called the nuke coordinator and was told that it is a simple waiver.  My recruiter is completely confident that I will recieve the waiver but I have been worrying about it since I left his office.  I had to write 3 statements in which I basically explained that I skipped class and slept through the two classes because I was an immature kid with no life exp. at all.  I have since grown up and I indicated on the statements that I want to work hard and challenge myself and have matured a lot over the past half decade.  I also had to write another statement about why I wanted to be a nuke, it probably sounded a little bit kiss-ass, but what I wrote is how I truly feel in my heart.  My question is what are my chances of having the waiver approved (have I shot myself in the foot???) and if the waiver is denied will taking some math classes accelerated at a community college and getting A's help my chances to reapply for the waiver down the road?
Thanks for the advice
 - Nick

stefanc2011

Re: Academic Waiver?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:51 »
Weirdly enough, your story is nearly EXACTLY the same as mine.  I also went and took ASVAB with NG till I got my score of 98, also had a nuke mm recruiter who took me to MEPS and got me the nuke job, also had an F in high school calculus.  They will make you take the NAPT (if you haven't already) and from what I've seen, if you pass the NAPT, your waiver will be passed.  My recruiters were extremely confident my waiver would be passed, and it was. 

neuromancer

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:52 »
nearly exactly lol you scored higher?  NAPT what's on it and how did you study for it?

stefanc2011

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:55 »
The NAPT is basic chemistry/ periodic table/ math knowledge, really no way to study for it.  The info for it is all over this forum, and I think i'd probably not be allowed to log into NW if I didn't tell you to search 'NAPT' and read the threads, but I can't be more specific than that.  It's classified info and was revised recently, but it wasn't hard..although, I did make a 56...minimum score is 55.

neuromancer

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:57 »
should I memorize the periodic table then?
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 10:58 by neuromancer »

stefanc2011

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:59 »
Nah nothing like that, just know how to read one.  I hope i'm not breaching any classified info by telling you that, but it IS all over this forum..like I said, search 'NAPT' in the search bar in the upper right and read the threads...there are quite a few way more detailed posts about it.

neuromancer

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2011, 11:14 »
yeh I started reading the forum and I am now enlightened.  I should not study for this test because if I can't pass it on my own then I am not eligible for nuke plain and simple.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 11:15 by neuromancer »

MacGyver

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2011, 11:23 »
[ROFL]

neuromancer

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2011, 11:30 »
^    <3

neuromancer

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2011, 01:16 »
any additional non-pictorial advice would be humbling, appreciated, and much needed.

neuromancer

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2011, 09:22 »
search button. You get it to use it like everyone else does.

Care to clarify?

clarification: they have the test for a reason, the attrition rates are high.

neuromancer

« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2011, 01:20 »
They will make you take the NAPT (if you haven't already) and from what I've seen, if you pass the NAPT, your waiver will be passed.  My recruiters were extremely confident my waiver would be passed, and it was.  
I qualify for nuke without the NAPT so I hope that I wont need to take it, but if they require it for people seeking academic waivers then I will have to take it.  I don't know yet I am going to call my recruiter on Monday he applied for the waiver last Thursday.

And the post you are quoting I believe was deleted, because I certainly don't see it.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 01:22 by neuromancer »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2011, 01:39 »
I qualify for nuke without the NAPT so I hope that I wont need to take it, but if they require it for people seeking academic waivers then I will have to take it.  I don't know yet I am going to call my recruiter on Monday he applied for the waiver last Thursday.

And the post you are quoting I believe was deleted, because I certainly don't see it.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/1130_8J%20VOL%20IV_Programs%20&%20Classification-VerJ.pdf

Read the section on the NAPT. There is a list of conditions in which someone would need to take the NAPT.

stefanc2011

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2011, 02:30 »
I line score qualified with a 254, but they still made me take the NAPT.  They said it was to help my chances of getting the waiver passed, but if that wasn't the case then I dunno.  Worked out for me though.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2011, 02:43 »
Since the discussion about asvab and stuff is in the air, if you guys scored over a 95 on the asvab, ask your recruiter to throw in the asvab bonus. It was only like 500$ IIRC, which isnt much compared to your other bonuses, but its better then nothing.

neuromancer

« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2011, 05:26 »
Since the discussion about asvab and stuff is in the air, if you guys scored over a 95 on the asvab, ask your recruiter to throw in the asvab bonus. It was only like 500$ IIRC, which isnt much compared to your other bonuses, but its better then nothing.

i need to qualify first!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2011, 06:44 »
i need to qualify first!

has nothing to do with nuke, its a navy wide thing. Just something to look at.

neuromancer

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2011, 09:27 »
has nothing to do with nuke, its a navy wide thing. Just something to look at.

nice thank you.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:11 »
nice thank you.
Disregard, the fy2011 policy got rid of all bonuses except language proficiencies and critical manning rates.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:13 »
Disregard, the fy2011 policy got rid of all bonuses except language proficiencies and critical manning rates.

Got rid of language proficiency too. In March 2011.

yayarea

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:15 »

I don't mean to hijack, but do you guys know if they still have bonuses for college degrees (A.S.)?

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:49 »
I don't mean to hijack, but do you guys know if they still have bonuses for college degrees (A.S.)?
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/EIncentives/default.htm

Read this.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2011, 01:22 »
O.o *sigh.

neuromancer

« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2011, 08:56 »
just to confirm the words of the 'wiser' talked to my recruiter today.  and that is correct those bonuses do NOT exist anymore.  He told me that he would get laughed off the phone for even suggesting that to the nuke coordinator.  On the bright side nuke has a 15,000 dollar bonus and a 70,000 to 90,000 reenlist bonus as of today.  (Obviously with the economy and the drawing down of the force under Gates to be continued with the next admin that could change overnight)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:59 »
just to confirm the words of the 'wiser' talked to my recruiter today.  and that is correct those bonuses do NOT exist anymore.  He told me that he would get laughed off the phone for even suggesting that to the nuke coordinator.  On the bright side nuke has a 15,000 dollar bonus and a 70,000 to 90,000 reenlist bonus as of today.  (Obviously with the economy and the drawing down of the force under Gates to be continued with the next admin that could change overnight)

I'd like to know where your recruiter got 15,000 from. The thing that came out in March 2011 still says 12,000.
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/EIncentives/N5311%20EB/EB/Released%20EB%20Messages/FY11/EB_LRP_GENADMIN_EFF21MAR2011.pdf

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2011, 11:08 »
I'd like to know where your recruiter got 15,000 from. The thing that came out in March 2011 still says 12,000.
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/EIncentives/N5311%20EB/EB/Released%20EB%20Messages/FY11/EB_LRP_GENADMIN_EFF21MAR2011.pdf

It changes that fast, they change bonuses 2 times a fiscal year.

edit: Not saying he's correct without proper documents, but making it clear the navy can change these things rapidly.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2011, 11:47 by Starkist »

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2011, 11:49 »
My son just signed up last week...for $12K.
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2011, 12:17 »
My son just signed up last week...for $12K.

I lost 22,000$ for 7 hours missed time.

Im sure drayer will chime in on this one...

neuromancer

« Reply #28 on: Jun 28, 2011, 07:41 »

No clue but that IS in fact what he said,  I am a skeptic of all things until shown evidence, which will be when I am sitting at the MEPS DEP'n in.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?