Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Like Father,....Like Son,...  

Author Topic: Like Father,....Like Son,...  (Read 28258 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Like Father,....Like Son,...
« on: Jun 29, 2011, 08:10 »
Father;

Shareholders Vote Nov. 4 On Shoreham

The fight over Governor Mario Cuomo's plan to abandon the Shoreham nuclear power plant moved a step closer to conclusion today as Shoreham's owner, the Long Island Lighting Company, scheduled a shareholder vote on the plan for Nov. 4....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/04/nyregion/shareholders-vote-nov-4-on-shoreham.html?src=pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Son;

Cuomo Takes Tough Stance on Nuclear Reactors

One of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s top advisers met with the operators of the Indian Point nuclear plant last week and told them that the governor was determined to close the plant....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/nyregion/cuomo-emphasizes-aim-to-close-indian-point-plant.html?_r=1

(sic)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Like Father,....Like Son,...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2011, 10:37 »
Nepatism at its finest!

Has anyone mentioned the prototypes in New York?

Sun Dog

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:04 »

Nepatism at its finest! (-5 pts/spelling)

Has anyone mentioned the prototypes in New York?

What does this topic have to do with nepotism?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:10 »
What does this topic have to do with nepotism?

Son blindly following the merits of his father. Figured this would fall into that realm. Son most likely got his position through his father, then using the same principles (the very problem with nepOtism [sorry lol]) to make his decisions. Im speculating of course, its entirely possible he developed his own thoughts and ideas free from persuasion of his parents.  :P

Things like this make me wonder why the military reactors never become under scrutiny. How can they want to shut down ONLY commercial plants, thats what I dont understand. BUT thats a completely different topic, so Ill leave it at that.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 11:12 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:23 »
Apples and oranges,...

nope, elected fair and square, well, not exactly fair, as the opposition did not offer anything close to viable or competent, but, squarely elected nonetheless,....

Every politician is elected "Fair and Square". George W. Bush was elected "fair and square" as well, marssim. (This was intended to be a "tongue in cheek" statement...)
so... :p  :D 8)

Not the point I was trying to make though. Looking at articles written by independent reviewers, closing the plant will generate more problems then solving. It's purely a political agenda for him, with obvious roots to his fathers decisions.

Here's some good reading.
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11666&page=R2
http://thisweekinnuclear.com/?p=1185

He's looking to wantonly close these plants, but has he offered any viable solutions to replacing the 2GW of power?

Heres his energy platform.

http://thisweekinnuclear.com/?p=1185

I also think its funny, the NYSIO opposes shutting down the plant, so he apparently wants to create an "independent" review panel to "examine the structure and practices of the New York Independent System Operator (“NYISO”) to determine whether reforms are appropriate."
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 11:49 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2011, 11:42 »
Dude!

YOU ar gonna try to lecture Marssim on the saga of New York nuclear politics AND give a reading assignment?!?! What the F--- !
You may as well be trying to divide by zero!

No not at all! You misunderstood me. It piqued my interest, and I figured others would appreciate seeing those articles since marssim isnt the only one reading this... He's clearly reading it up on it himself, and Im sure he's already seen those, it was purely for any one else who wanted to see informative, non biased articles on it.

edit : my comments about the politics were intended to be tongue in cheek, not "lecturing", sorry.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 11:50 by Starkist »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:10 »
Lol yeah. I tried searching, but I havent found his views on the other nuke plants in the state, do you know his stance on those? Is it just this particular plant he doenst like?

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:35 »
Lol yeah. I tried searching, but I havent found his views on the other nuke plants in the state, do you know his stance on those? Is it just this particular plant he doenst like?

Its just the point due to its proximity to the city

if you understand the lingo

sf

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:10 »
That plant has been closed since the 80s. The fuel is sold and pieces of it are dismantled. IIRC the State didn't close it, Suffolk County wouldn't submit an Emergency plan so the NRC wouldn't license it.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:25 »
That plant has been closed since the 80s. The fuel is sold and pieces of it are dismantled. IIRC the State didn't close it, Suffolk County wouldn't submit an Emergency plan so the NRC wouldn't license it.

Who brought up Shoreham? The 'other' NY Nuclear Plant is Ginna in Ontario, NY near Rochester.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Sun Dog

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:38 »

Who brought up Shoreham? The 'other' NY Nuclear Plant is Ginna in Ontario, NY near Rochester.

I think Fitz & Nine Mile may deserve the designation of 'other' as much as Ginna does.  Shoreham was brought up by Marssim in the original post of this thread.

The fight over Governor Mario Cuomo's plan to abandon the Shoreham nuclear power plant...

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:51 »

Note under Father Marssim stated Shoreham. I used to work for the guy who was VP at Shoreham at the time and he said the blame rested solely on Suffolk County, not the state.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:52 »
I think Fitz & Nine Mile may deserve the designation of 'other' as much as Ginna does.  Shoreham was brought up by Marssim in the original post of this thread.

OK, if you want to get picky about it, the other mentioned NY plant. I was not trying to say that it was the only other one. I used to work for the company that owns Nine Mile -- I was there once. I realize it (and neighbor Fitzpatrick) exist.

Shoreham was brought up as the subject of the past (i.e. 'Father') part of this and that reference was about the time before it was dismantled, so Broadzilla's comment would not apply.

But thanks for the misinterpretation and unnecessary correction. It was fun.  ::)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:58 »
Note under Father Marssim stated Shoreham. I used to work for the guy who was VP at Shoreham at the time and he said the blame rested solely on Suffolk County, not the state.

Cuomo was trying to shut down Shoreham, but had no basis to do it. Suffolk County provided it for him. He got what he was after even if he had no way to get it himself. I still don't get the relevance of your comment about it being shut down since the 80's or being dismantled in the context of the thread, but it doesn't matter.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2011, 02:12 »
Given it was an imbedded part of the thread and used as the basis of comparison it has everything to do with it. Reading comprehension is a wonderful skill, wish it was an innate one too.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2011, 03:10 »
Once the NRC said no E Plan by Suffolk, No License it was a moot point. Suffolk killed it,.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2011, 04:38 »
Given it was an imbedded part of the thread and used as the basis of comparison it has everything to do with it. Reading comprehension is a wonderful skill, wish it was an innate one too.

I am not saying it wasn't mentioned (or embedded), just that your comment was irrelevant to the thread. Yes it was shut down and dismantled in the 80s -- brilliant observation. The thread was about Cuomo's attempt to stop it from going on line and his son's attempts to take Indian Point out. It really doesn't matter to this thread (or any other that I know of) why it failed to get licensed, the point was Cuomo's vendetta against it. He tried, but in the end it was the county that succeeded in stopping the plant. My guess is that the State could also choose not to participate and that had Suffolk County not done it for him Cuomo might have taken that route, too. That was the point -- not who managed to stop it, but that Cuomo tried, just like his son is trying to stop IP. Get it now? How is your reading comprehension doing? Mine is just fine.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:45 »
Father;

Shareholders Vote Nov. 4 On Shoreham

The fight over Governor Mario Cuomo's plan to abandon the Shoreham nuclear power plant moved a step closer to conclusion today as Shoreham's owner, the Long Island Lighting Company, scheduled a shareholder vote on the plan for Nov. 4....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/04/nyregion/shareholders-vote-nov-4-on-shoreham.html?src=pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Son;

Cuomo Takes Tough Stance on Nuclear Reactors

One of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s top advisers met with the operators of the Indian Point nuclear plant last week and told them that the governor was determined to close the plant....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/nyregion/cuomo-emphasizes-aim-to-close-indian-point-plant.html?_r=1

(sic)

5.5 YEARS LATER:

Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant to Close by 2021

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/nyregion/indian-point-nuclear-power-plant-shutdown.html?_r=0

The Indian Point nuclear plant will shut down by April 2021 under an agreement New York State reached this week with Entergy, the utility company that owns the facility in Westchester County, according to a person with direct knowledge of the deal.

Under the terms of the agreement, one of the two nuclear reactors at Indian Point will permanently cease operations by April 2020, while the other must be closed by April 2021. The shutdown has long been a priority for Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who — though supportive of upstate nuclear plants — has repeatedly called for shutting down Indian Point, which he says poses too great a risk to New York City, less than 30 miles to the south.....

almost forgot

[jerry] [Flamer] [beer]
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 08:31 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:34 »
Ah, Entergy. A bona fide industry leader... at shutting down plants!
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 10:39 by Red Gold »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:34 »
Ah, Entergy. A bona fine industry leader... at shutting down plants!
hay! license terminators got too eat two!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:00 »
“For 15 years, I have been deeply concerned by the continuing safety violations at Indian Point, especially given its location in the largest and most densely populated metropolitan region in the country,” Cuomo said in a statement. “... The state is fully prepared to replace the power generated by the plant at a negligible cost to ratepayers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/cuomo-ny-can-absorb-closing-of-indian-point-nuke-plant/2017/01/09/6f3f6732-d685-11e6-a0e6-d502d6751bc8_story.html?utm_term=.614ceb661ee8

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:35 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/cuomo-ny-can-absorb-closing-of-indian-point-nuke-plant/2017/01/09/6f3f6732-d685-11e6-a0e6-d502d6751bc8_story.html?utm_term=.614ceb661ee8

Hmmmm... There are liquid gas tankers in New York Harbor with a terminal in Perth Amboy. A rupture of one of these tankers could launch a gas cloud that when detonated by an ignition source on shore would be one of the largest explosions in US history. A lot of the replacement energy is likely to be gas. They are fighting fracking there as well!!! So much for adult supervision. NY get your wallets open.

Imagine an aerosolled gas cloud with no nearby ignition source.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:13 »
NY get your wallets open.

...but Gubner Cuomo said "negligible cost to ratepayers"!

Maybe we can start calling this the "Diablo Effect", or the "SONGS Effect", or the "VY Effect", or the ....

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:33 »
Hey yeah just like Germany is replacing all their nuke power with renewables!!!  hardy har, that was a good one.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:06 »

http://archive.longislandpress.com/2009/06/11/nuclear-waste-20-years-after-the-closure-of-the-shoreham-power-facility/

7.5 years old, but I hadn't read it before today, I found it quite interesting.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:31 »
great article even though old.  what a waste of a good nuke plant. no matter how you slice it.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:34 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:40 »
Hmmmm... There are liquid gas tankers in New York Harbor with a terminal in Perth Amboy. A rupture of one of these tankers could launch a gas cloud that when detonated by an ignition source on shore would be one of the largest explosions in US history. A lot of the replacement energy is likely to be gas. They are fighting fracking there as well!!! So much for adult supervision. NY get your wallets open.

Imagine an aerosolled gas cloud with no nearby ignition source.

Nope,....

Hydro Quebec will send 1000MW down the Champlain - Hudson Corridor via NYISO,....

The infrastructure was built or upgraded over the last eight years, most of it before 2012,.....

This has been probable for eight years and possible for three maybe four,....

NYS head to do something with all that Obama money that Arkansas didn't get,....

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:22 »

Nope,....

Hydro Quebec will send 1000MW down the Champlain - Hudson Corridor via NYISO,....

The infrastructure was built or upgraded over the last eight years, most of it before 2012,.....

This has been probable for eight years and possible for three maybe four,....

NYS head to do something with all that Obama money that Arkansas didn't get,....

They are losing two nukes and they really don't know where the replacement power is coming from. Articles that address only IP say the replacement potentially will be from Canada but it is only speculation at this time. New England so far has replaced it's power losses with gas so I don't expect this to be any different. But time will tell.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:07 »
And no matter what, ANY carbon producing power being generated after IP is shutdown flies in the face of today's liberal environmental priorities.  Whether I agree with them or not.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  Well you can, but everyone will be walking around holding their pant legs up to keep them from getting brown.  You can't hold them up forever.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:28 »
They are losing two nukes and they really don't know where the replacement power is coming from. Articles that address only IP say the replacement potentially will be from Canada but it is only speculation at this time. New England so far has replaced it's power losses with gas so I don't expect this to be any different. But time will tell.

they do know where the replacement power for the 25% of IP's contribution to NYC is coming from,....

they have known since prior to 2012,....

e.g. (there is more, but you can look that up for yourself),...

https://www.riverkeeper.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Synapse-Indian-Point-Replacement-Study-10-11.pdf

they have been building the infrastructure since before that,....

the relationship NYS has with Quebec Hydro is a long one,...

the Champlain - Hudson corridor has been around for a quite a while

New England has the relationship they do not have the infrastructure,...

New England also screws themselves by imposing "renewable" limits on themselves,...

New York is not doing financial seppuku,...

ergo, the CES with Fitz, Ginna & 9 Mile,...

it comes down to cost,....

IP is and will be cheaper than the alternatives,....

IP is also ostensibly more reliable and has the advantage of being locally sourced and regulated,....

but if the hotshots in NYC want to pay more for non-nuke bragging rights, well, that is their prerogative,...

after all, it's their money,....

it's not my money, I live 145 miles north of those oddly twisted city slickers,...

but, the replacement generation and distribution infrastructure is there,....

whaddaya think?!?!?!?

I just make s--t up as I type and muse?!?!?!?!?!

I research pal,....I research,.... 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 09:38 by GLW »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:00 »
they do know where the replacement power for the 25% of IP's contribution to NYC is coming from,....

https://www.riverkeeper.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Synapse-Indian-Point-Replacement-Study-10-11.pdf

New England also screws themselves by imposing "renewable" limits on themselves,...

IP is also ostensibly more reliable and has the advantage of being locally sourced and regulated,....

but if the hotshots in NYC want to pay more for non-nuke bragging rights, well, that is their prerogative,...

it's not my money, I live 145 miles north of those oddly twisted city slickers,...

whaddaya think?!?!?!?

I did look it up and what you have referenced is River Keepers and the Mayor and Governor are liberal Democrats with an alternative power wish list. The best answer I found is proposed or probably.

Let's try Forbes:

Natural Gas -- Not Renewables -- Is Replacing Nuclear Power

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/05/16/natural-gas-is-replacing-nuclear-power-not-renewables/#211f6fdd4abb

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:29 »
I did look it up and what you have referenced is River Keepers and the Mayor and Governor are liberal Democrats with an alternative power wish list. The best answer I found is proposed or probably.

Let's try Forbes:

Natural Gas -- Not Renewables -- Is Replacing Nuclear Power

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/05/16/natural-gas-is-replacing-nuclear-power-not-renewables/#211f6fdd4abb

okay,....

read the article!!!!!!

It projects the future for everybody from the New England paradigm!!!!!

the article references New England's lack of transmission infrastructure which challenges New England's ability to avail itself of the Quebec Hydro surplus (last paragraph)!!!!!!!

that lack of infrastructure compels New England to build new local gas plants or refire oil plants,...

the article also mentions that New England even limits it's own ability to bring in natural gas for the new plants built due to lack of sufficient gas lines and dogged stubbornness in giving the go light to new infrastructure because New Englanders would rather freeze to death as righteous (yet dead) green party acolytes than build some dam gas lines or build transmission lines to buy up Quebec Hydro's excess!!!!!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!

I don't know, they're whacked!!!!!

BUT!!!!!!

New England is not synonymous with New York,....

New York has the CES to keep nuclear viable,...

New York has the transmission capacity to route Quebec Hydro to NYC,...

whether it will be the best and most cost effective solution to running the subways and metro rails I do not know nor care,...

I actually do know (for the short term - the next 20 years or so), but I do not care,...

I do not live in NYC and do not pay their bills,....

BUT,....

closing down IP is a New York decision,...

the CES for Fitz, Ginna & 9 Mile is also a New York decision,....

closing down IP has been forseeable for a long time,...

this thread was started 5.5 years ago,...

and the groundwork was being put in place before that,....

the projection of the closing of IP as some sort of fly by night knee jerk faux pas is dead wrong,...

it is a political decision,...

that does not make it a foolish decision,....
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 10:36 by GLW »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:17 »

Read it?!?!

I lived it ,..

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/f40ff2d0c0383c0e814c086a28318052.jpg

Well, I was in primary school. The biggest thing going on in my world (aside from riding my bike to the arcade and swimming in the river) was the nuke plant under construction five miles northeast of town. ;)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:50 »

The governor’s office claims the state can absorb the loss of Indian Point's 2,000 MW of power and replace it without increasing greenhouse gas emissions. Transmission upgrades and efficiency measures account for 700 megawatts and about 1,000 megawatts of hydropower will provide much of the rest.

“The [Department of Public Service] has been planning for this eventuality for several years,” Richard Kauffman, Cuomo’s energy czar, said in an interview, citing demand reduction, transmission upgrades, new sources of renewable energy, and the Champlain Hudson Power Express, which will deliver hydropower to the metro area from the Canadian border.

“The benefit of this agreement is it gives the market adequate time to figure out the resources that are going to be needed,” Kauffman said.

Two natural gas plants are expected to come online in the downstate region in the next few years — the 650 megawatt CPV Valley plant in Orange County and the 1,000 megawatt Cricket Valley plant in Dutchess County. The CPV Valley plant, which is part of a corruption case involving a former top Cuomo aide, still needs its natural gas supply but has all other necessary approvals.

Gavin Donohue, head of the Independent Power Producers of New York, said those plants will be the cleanest natural gas generators that can be built today and can help replace Indian Point. He also said the state should focus on in-state resources rather than Canadian hydropower.

“When you have those types of assets in New York ready to come online and you have a handful of years before Indian Point leaves the grid, why wouldn’t you look to in-state jobs, in-state taxes, in-state electricity production?” said Donohue, who represents electric generators in New York. “It makes no sense that we would need to look to a foreign government for our power needs.”

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2017/01/cuomos-quest-to-end-indian-point-raises-more-questions-108575

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:54 »
okay,....

read the article!!!!!!

Please that is insulting and beneath you. The article is what has, is, and will be happening with power distribuition in New England. The article makes it clear that natural gas will be the replacement despite limitations in pipelines.

From the article I cited:

As all energy experts know, renewables will never replace any of nuclear’s clean power lost by the closing of nuclear plants. Renewables are having enough trouble replacing significant amounts of coal or keeping pace with demand, and require taxpayer subsidies to get built. So natural gas is the obvious choice for new electricity generation in all regions of the country.

This trend is unlikely to change. Electricity demand in New England is growing 1% annually. Total generating capacity for the region is 31 GW, but over 4 GW is retiring in the next few years, and another 6 GW is at risk of retirement by the early 2020s.

As a result, 13 GW of new natural gas is proposed to cover all expected increases in electricity demand for the next decade.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:58 »
Two natural gas plants are expected to come online in the downstate region in the next few years — the 650 megawatt CPV Valley plant in Orange County and the 1,000 megawatt Cricket Valley plant in Dutchess County. The CPV Valley plant, which is part of a corruption case involving a former top Cuomo aide, still needs its natural gas supply but has all other necessary approvals.

whaddaya think?!?!?!?

My opinion: Anything released by Riverkeeper would need to be taken with a huge heaping helping of salt....

Every one of these early shutdown stories is laced with the bs of energy efficiency upgrades and renewable replacement scenarios for replacing thousands of baseload MW's. [2cents]
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017, 10:03 by ksheed12 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:59 »

My opinion: Anything released by Riverkeeper would need to be taken with a huge heaping helping of salt....

the Riverkeeper slant on things is not the gem hidden in the slop,....

the gem is the comprehensive list of references on pages 61, 62 & 63,....

the fact based white papers, reports, reviews and summaries published by NYISO, NYERDA, FERC et al which details the infrastructure upgrades and new construction to allow a closure of IP without shutting down the subway system or metro rail,...

there are numerous greenie authored unicorn and rainbow essays also listed, none of which detract from the facts published by NYISO etc.,...

Please that is insulting and beneath you. The article is what has, is, and will be happening with power distribuition in New England. The article makes it clear that natural gas will be the replacement despite limitations in pipelines.

From the article I cited:....

read the article with attention to the date of the article,....

Okay Marlin, keep in mind your referenced article was focused on New England and was written before New York’s CES was implemented in 2016,…

Here are a couple of articles written by the same author after the New York 2016 CES,…

Exelon Buys Fitzpatrick Nuclear Plant, Setting The Standard for U.S. Carbon Goals

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/08/11/exelon-buys-fitzpatrick-nuclear-plant-setting-the-standard-for-us-carbon-goals/#13acd39d1426

Cuomo Accepts Nuclear Is Clean For Upstate New York

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/08/02/new-york-state-considers-nuclear-a-clean-energy/#4679983e768b

perhaps you remember this discussion from 2016, when all the same points were made?!?!?!

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41813.msg195720.html#msg195720

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41813.msg195725.html#msg195725

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41771.msg195548.html#msg195548

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41771.msg195574.html#msg195574

in summary:

natural gas is NOT the baseload replacement for IP,...

New York's political decision makers are not a lunatic fringe who shutdown nukes AND stifle gas pipeline enhancements,...

the political goal to shutdown IP may seem unwise in the near term in terms of costs to the consumers and very well may be,...

BUT those NYC consumers who constitute Cuomo's biggest base want this and they are paying the cost and NYS has gone through the due diligences over the last eight years to make this viable without resorting to natural gas,....

this is not New England,....

this is New York dammit,....

quit trying to make them to be the same thing,....

you don't read me typing that Tennessee / Florida / Louisiana / Georgia are all same same,...

just stop it dammit,.... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:20 »
or, in other words:

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:18 »
Maybe GLW is right, but the truth will only come out once IP is shutdown.  Ironic that you took a really cool movie that is pretty historically inaccurate to punctuate your statements...or did you do that on purpose?  Hard to figure out the GLW.  He is a delicious mystery I thoroughly enjoy.

Still in my mind the liberal NY politicians who want this thing are robbing Peter to pay Paul.  OK liberals you get no nuke plant 30 miles from NYC which really isn't a big deal, but you are giving up 2Gig of power that is carbon free, and according to liberals greenhouse gasses are going to destroy our planet. 

Ok fine all the bigwigs in NYC want this and have a good plan, but the reasoning behind it still sucks.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:48 »
the Riverkeeper slant on things is not the gem hidden in the slop,....

the gem is the comprehensive list of references on pages 61, 62 & 63,....

the fact based white papers, reports, reviews and summaries published by NYISO, NYERDA, FERC et al which details the infrastructure upgrades and new construction to allow a closure of IP without shutting down the subway system or metro rail,...

there are numerous greenie authored unicorn and rainbow essays also listed, none of which detract from the facts published by NYISO etc.,...

read the article with attention to the date of the article,....

Okay Marlin, keep in mind your referenced article was focused on New England and was written before New York’s CES was implemented in 2016,…

Here are a couple of articles written by the same author after the New York 2016 CES,…

Exelon Buys Fitzpatrick Nuclear Plant, Setting The Standard for U.S. Carbon Goals

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/08/11/exelon-buys-fitzpatrick-nuclear-plant-setting-the-standard-for-us-carbon-goals/#13acd39d1426

Cuomo Accepts Nuclear Is Clean For Upstate New York

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/08/02/new-york-state-considers-nuclear-a-clean-energy/#4679983e768b

perhaps you remember this discussion from 2016, when all the same points were made?!?!?!

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41813.msg195720.html#msg195720

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41813.msg195725.html#msg195725

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41771.msg195548.html#msg195548

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,41771.msg195574.html#msg195574

in summary:

natural gas is NOT the baseload replacement for IP,...

New York's political decision makers are not a lunatic fringe who shutdown nukes AND stifle gas pipeline enhancements,...

the political goal to shutdown IP may seem unwise in the near term in terms of costs to the consumers and very well may be,...

BUT those NYC consumers who constitute Cuomo's biggest base want this and they are paying the cost and NYS has gone through the due diligences over the last eight years to make this viable without resorting to natural gas,....

this is not New England,....

this is New York dammit,....

quit trying to make them to be the same thing,....

you don't read me typing that Tennessee / Florida / Louisiana / Georgia are all same same,...

just stop it dammit,.... :P ;) :) 8)

As usual when you are in a corner you post a long list of irrelevant or loosely associated links with an associated diatribe. I am not biting nor wasting my time. To date natural gas has replaced nuclear and coal baseloads nation wide and New England. Natural gas is also the reason we have reduced carbon to the extent we have. Alternative energy that is being pushed by ideologues (Liberal New England has many, lets regulate big slushies  ::) ) has not panned out and we are to believe magically that will change?

:old: [coffee]
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017, 06:33 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:21 »
sorry man, but you're wrong,....

they are shutting down 2 nukes,...

they do know where the replacement power is coming from,....

and it is not to be natural gas for the IP baseload contributions,....

NYISO, NYERDA, FERC, and all the others have already laid this all out years before the agreement to shut down IP was published,....

to date the nation and New England have done what they will,...

to date,.....it was New York that first developed and made policy the CES which made the upstate New York plants viable,....

the nation, and perhaps even New England, are either catching up to that benchmark or just plain losing their nukes,....

projecting that natural gas replacement is going to happen as a result of IP going off grid regardless of all the evidence to the contrary,...

that's a diatribe,....

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:02 »
sorry man, but you're wrong,....

they are shutting down 2 nukes,...

they do know where the replacement power is coming from,....

and it is not to be natural gas for the IP baseload contributions,....

NYISO, NYERDA, FERC, and all the others have already laid this all out years before the agreement to shut down IP was published,....

to date the nation and New England have done what they will,...

to date,.....it was New York that first developed and made policy the CES which made the upstate New York plants viable,....

the nation, and perhaps even New England, are either catching up to that benchmark or just plain losing their nukes,....

projecting that natural gas replacement is going to happen as a result of IP going off grid regardless of all the evidence to the contrary,...

that's a diatribe,....

To date we have had a progressive agenda orgy in this nation, there is a new Sheriff in town who is willing to make change.

again...

From the article I cited:

"As all energy experts know, renewables will never replace any of nuclear’s clean power lost by the closing of nuclear plants. Renewables are having enough trouble replacing significant amounts of coal or keeping pace with demand, and require taxpayer subsidies to get built. So natural gas is the obvious choice for new electricity generation in all regions of the country.

This trend is unlikely to change. Electricity demand in New England is growing 1% annually. Total generating capacity for the region is 31 GW, but over 4 GW is retiring in the next few years, and another 6 GW is at risk of retirement by the early 2020s.

As a result, 13 GW of new natural gas is proposed to cover all expected increases in electricity demand for the next decade."

What Will the Trump Effect Be on Energy?

"Governor Cuomo also now has a very interesting decision to make.  Does he look for a peaceful way out or does he double down, solidifying his green credentials while possibly becoming the poster child for why the Democrats lost an election they seemed sure to sweep?"

http://naturalgasnow.org/will-trump-effect-energy/

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:09 »
To date we have had a progressive agenda orgy in this nation, there is a new Sheriff in town who is willing to make change.

again...

What Will the Trump Effect Be on Energy?

"Governor Cuomo also now has a very interesting decision to make.  Does he look for a peaceful way out or does he double down, solidifying his green credentials while possibly becoming the poster child for why the Democrats lost an election they seemed sure to sweep?"

http://naturalgasnow.org/will-trump-effect-energy/

well old friend here's the crux:

whether liberal or conservative, the Empire State has been progressive, indeed the Empire State was the birthplace of the progressive meme before and since the term progressive entered the national vernacular,....

Teddy Roosevelt,....

and the willingness to stand the Republican Party on it's head to change the national direction is a New York Republican specialty,....

Teddy Roosevelt - Donald Trump,....

without going all polysci on this I'll try one last summary:

New York is not waiting for or concerned with the national consensus,....

New York is going the New York way,...

and natural gas is part of that way, but  only a small part, and not the new baseload replacement for the political decision to close IP,....

national trends or California shell games be dammed,...

pal,.... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:02 »
without going all polysci on this I'll try one last summary:

New York is not waiting for or concerned with the national consensus,....

There is an interstate component here with distribution from Pennsylvania and there is a voting block that wants it for home heating. The worst seven words in business are "we have always done it that way" and we have a businessman coming into power with associated likeminded appointees. You can repeat the same justification again and again but that does not make it true or absolute. Back to my original closure again:

New England so far has replaced it's power losses with gas so I don't expect this to be any different. But time will tell.

I am not sure how you can be so definitive when there is clearly conflicting agendas and information. There is clearly a shift in business attitudes and political power, as much as NY is a bastion of progressives it is still one of fifty. Keystone is likely to go forward despite local objection and energy Independence and possibly becoming an energy exporter is on the Trump agenda. I would bet on Trump in this case, I am generalizing here but clearly an influential component in the equation.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:12 »
I think most reasonable people know, we won't know for sure until IP has been offline for awhile and we see where the power comes from.  Trusting any politician, even the awesome NY  [sarcasm] ones, always has risk.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:34 »
I am not sure how you can be so definitive when there is clearly conflicting agendas and information. There is clearly a shift in business attitudes and political power, as much as NY is a bastion of progressives it is still one of fifty. Keystone is likely to go forward despite local objection and energy Independence and possibly becoming an energy exporter is on the Trump agenda. I would bet on Trump in this case, I am generalizing here but clearly an influential component in the equation.

I should have added Yucca Mountain Trump has expessed interest in it. Now that Harry Reid is gone who knows.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:38 »

Image result for new york city meme

Stretching pretty far from the topic, but considering the drum beating, I couldn't resist.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:08 »
Actually that post is right on the money since the it underscores the type of thinking that goes into these decisions.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:18 »
There is an interstate component here with distribution from Pennsylvania and there is a voting block that wants it for home heating. The worst seven words in business are "we have always done it that way" and we have a businessman coming into power with associated likeminded appointees. You can repeat the same justification again and again but that does not make it true or absolute. Back to my original closure again:

One of 50 yes,....

NYISO makes New York one of one,....

https://www.ferc.gov/industries/electric/indus-act/rto/metrics/nyiso-rto-metrics.pdf

In addition, section 215 of the Federal Power Act, as amended by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, allows the State of
New York to ―establish rules that result in greater reliability within the state.‖ The NYISO is, therefore, also
responsible for complying with rules established by the New York State Reliability Council, L.L.C ("NYSRC"), whose
mission is to promote and preserve the reliability of electric service on the New York power system by developing,
maintaining, and updating the Reliability Rules which shall be complied with by the NYISO and all entities engaging
in electric transmission, ancillary services, energy and power transactions on the New York power system.

I can be so definitive because I know my definitive documents,...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:50 »
One of 50 yes,....

NYISO makes New York one of one,....

https://www.ferc.gov/industries/electric/indus-act/rto/metrics/nyiso-rto-metrics.pdf

In addition, section 215 of the Federal Power Act, as amended by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, allows the State of
New York to ―establish rules that result in greater reliability within the state.‖ The NYISO is, therefore, also
responsible for complying with rules established by the New York State Reliability Council, L.L.C ("NYSRC"), whose
mission is to promote and preserve the reliability of electric service on the New York power system by developing,
maintaining, and updating the Reliability Rules which shall be complied with by the NYISO and all entities engaging
in electric transmission, ancillary services, energy and power transactions on the New York power system.

I can be so definitive because I know my definitive documents,...

I am still not convinced does this take a super majority to override? The Fed giveth the Fed taketh away. I didn't buy it the first, second, or third time why do you think I am now convinced that this law or other barriers cannot be overturned by Trump/Perry.  ::)

[coffee]
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017, 06:00 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:08 »
I am still not convinced does this take a super majority to override? The Fed giveth the Fed taketh away. I didn't buy it the first, second, or third time why do you think I am now convinced that this law or other barriers cannot be overturned by Trump/Perry.  ::)

[coffee]

well, IF Trump/Perry can mandate that New York MUST build natural gas plants to make up for IP,....

well then - WOW

IF Trump/Perry can mandate that Entergy keep IP open regardless of the closure deal which Entergy negotiated with New York,...

well then - WOW

if business and states can no longer negotiate without the approval of Trump/Perry,...

well, so much for State's Rights and business prerogatives unfettered by Federal Mandate,...

bring on the national divorce,.... [jerry]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:28 »
well, IF Trump/Perry can mandate that New York MUST build natural gas plants to make up for IP,....

They can remove unreasonable blocks to it, the main reason there are not new ones now is environmental not energy related. No one said mandate.

IF Trump/Perry can mandate that Entergy keep IP open regardless of the closure deal which Entergy negotiated with New York,...

I never mentioned that in this thread so why bring it up it?

if business and states can no longer negotiate without the approval of Trump/Perry,...

What negotiation? And if the negotiation is across state lines as is the supply from Pennsylvania they definitely have a say. Does the NY grid supply only NY or is it attached to the national grid.

Please, states rights for interstate commerce and come to think of it international commerce as Canada is in the mix.

Still not convinced.  :old:

[coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:57 »
They can remove unreasonable blocks to it, the main reason there are not new ones now is environmental not energy related. No one said mandate.

the New York CES is still there after Trump reduces EPA, etc.,....

states are allowed to be more restrictive than the feds,....

the New York CES would have to be abrogated by somebody,...

I never mentioned that in this thread so why bring it up it?

perhaps I misread your intent,...

What negotiation? And if the negotiation is across state lines as is the supply from Pennsylvania they definitely have a say. Does the NY grid supply only NY or is it attached to the national grid.

NYS gets upwards of ten percent of it's power from PJM / Canada, it adds stability, there are 5 years to phase out the non-green PJM and pull in more of the Canada,...

Please, states rights for interstate commerce and come to think of it international commerce as Canada is in the mix.

autonomy as delineated in section 215 of the Federal Power Act, as amended by the Energy Policy Act of 2005,...

thanks for the derisive dismissiveness of what are important, codified, understandings,....

you sure the self described neo-con is not slipping back into his one size fits all liberal youth?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017, 10:00 by GLW »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:21 »
the New York CES is still there after Trump reduces EPA, etc.,....

states are allowed to be more restrictive than the feds,....

the New York CES would have to be abrogated by somebody,...

perhaps I misread your intent,...

NYS gets upwards of ten percent of it's power from PJM / Canada, it adds stability, there are 5 years to phase out the non-green PJM and pull in more of the Canada,...

autonomy as delineated in section 215 of the Federal Power Act, as amended by the Energy Policy Act of 2005,...

thanks for the derisive dismissiveness of what are important, codified, understandings,....

you sure the self described neo-con is not slipping back into his one size fits all liberal youth?!?!?!?

We are deep into diminishing returns and into recycling the same old stuff. More than time to agree to disagree.   [42]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:59 »
We are deep into diminishing returns and into recycling the same old stuff. More than time to agree to disagree.   [42]

ya think?!?!?!?

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017, 01:01 by ksheed12 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:16 »
Seems related...

<90 miles from NYC...

http://www.bechtel.com/newsroom/releases/2017/01/bechtel-build-new-power-plant-new-york-state/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_campaign=cricketvalley&utm_medium=social

Very interesting...

bastards,...

(gonna pollute the New England downwinders with a natgas plant which can sell to Hartford or whoever has the coin to pay, dam New Yorkers!!!!!)
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017, 01:20 by GLW »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:40 »
I'm sure all those brilliant NY politicians will stop this nonsense.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:02 »
...brilliant NY politicians...

Oxymoron alert!

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?